Start by marking “The Thin Commandments: The Ten No-Fail Strategies for Permanent Weight Loss” as Want to Read:
The Thin Commandments: The Ten No-Fail Strategies for Permanent Weight Loss

The Thin Commandments: The Ten No-Fail Strategies for Permanent Weight Loss

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  68 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Bestselling author of Thin Tastes Better, Dr. Stephen Gullo lets you in on his unique program that has a success rate almost 15 times higher than the national average and has helped patients lose more than 100 pounds and maintain the weight loss for more than 5 years. At Dr. Gullo's Institute for Health and Weight Sciences in New York City, patients wait up to 6 months for ...more
Published January 1st 2005 by Rodale Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Thin Commandments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thin Commandments

Shannon
Aug 01, 2013 Shannon rated it it was ok
Some interesting tips but he pushes mostly no-fat, diet crap food.
p.s. Dick P. lost 47lbs following this book:)
Kewannah "Health Kick Chick"
Feb 16, 2011 Kewannah "Health Kick Chick" rated it really liked it
This book is great. I love Dr. Gullo's approach to weight loss as it's a no-nonsense scientific approach. It's all mental so focus on your strategy and less about building will power. The first few lines of the book are key "dieting is about losing weight. Food strategy is about ending the problem." Gullo says your struggle with weight is less about your calories but your history with certain foods. Do you polish off every spoonful of ice cream? Then don't assume that you can live with it in you ...more
Kay
Sep 07, 2011 Kay rated it it was ok
Meh. It was just okay. The author had nothing really that new to tell me, though he kept insisting that his approach was novel. I already keep a food diary and am familiar with my trigger foods. And I think he overstates the claims for dairy and other foods that are helpful while dieting.

While it was useful to hear Gullo's advice in audio form, as it can never hurt having to focus on what we all need to do, he made a big mistake reading this book himself. A motivational book needs a motivating
Jenna
Mar 20, 2013 Jenna rated it liked it
The strength of the Thin Commandments is in strategies for handling difficult situations. I think the meal plan was kind of funky & could never really get into it. However, the concept of making a plan to deal with foods that you have a history of abusing is smart. One of the ideas that I especially liked was "box it in, box it out" - set occasions or locations for eating certain foods - apple pie only at Thanksgiving dinner would be an example. Read this years ago & skimmed it last week ...more
Terri Richardson
Aug 14, 2015 Terri Richardson rated it really liked it
Some excellent suggestions for those wanting to lose weight. the book sheds new light on why we fail at dieting and gives a host of strategies to combat the difficulties often experienced by those who try to lose weight.
Patti Dunegan
Aug 18, 2013 Patti Dunegan rated it really liked it
Very good psychological strategies to keep you armed with what you need to do to stay on track. Don't agree with his suggestions to consume anything labeled "lite" or "non fat" because I've read the science that supports good healthy fats. Other than that, it's right in the mark!!
Susan Bybee
Oct 20, 2013 Susan Bybee rated it really liked it
A little repetitious, but I appreciated how Gullo deals with the mindsets that go along with dieting. Instead of willpower, he recommends having strategies to avoid temptations. He details when the trouble times are most likely to occur, and offers strategies to help.
Abby
Aug 29, 2007 Abby rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone struggling with weight issues
Everything in this book should be common sense, but somehow I didn't really understand it. I have passed it on to several people and they also felt that it had valuable knowledge.
Susan
Oct 20, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it
Deals with more of the psychology of why we choose to overeat than most "diet" books. It's a manual for lifestyle change. Heads and shoulders above fad diet books.
Teri Pre
Oct 06, 2013 Teri Pre rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Not a diet but some interesting strategies and ways to think about what you eat.
Erin
Jan 19, 2008 Erin rated it liked it
Cheesy clever way to present the idea of: eat less, exercise more...lose weight.
Sofi Carpenter
Nov 28, 2007 Sofi Carpenter rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
This is one of the most sensible diet strategies I have read.
Marie
Apr 11, 2008 Marie rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Interesting ideas about changing the way you look at food and dieting
Jamesia
Jan 13, 2011 Jamesia rated it really liked it
Very good with success tips I use everyday!
Tia
Nov 19, 2009 Tia added it
Margaret Dee
Jul 16, 2009 Margaret Dee rated it did not like it
Could not get into this.
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Lynette
Lynette marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Nisha Rai
Nisha Rai rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Janice Fox
Janice Fox rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Wrighax
Wrighax rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Matthew Fontana
Matthew Fontana rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Gentonra
Gentonra rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Lisa Honey
Lisa Honey rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2015
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015