Encyclopedia of the Exquisite

Encyclopedia of the Exquisite

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  412 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Encyclopedia of the Exquisite is a lifestyle guide for the Francophile and the Anglomaniac, the gourmet and the style maven, the armchair traveler and the art lover. It’s an homage to the esoteric world of glamour that doesn’t require much spending but makes us feel rich.

Taking a cue from the exotic encyclopedias of the sixteenth century, which brimmed with mysterious art...more
Published (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Encyclopedia of the Exquisite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia of the Exquisite

Wendy Darling
This is what you might call a "fancy side table" book. Not a big book full of photographs that would be displayed boldly out in the open like a coffee table book, but one that you might discreetly tuck into a corner where it might be glimpsed and discovered by passers-by. It essentially serves the same purpose, however, to give casual acquaintances the idea that you have some modicum of style or curiosity about the world around you.

The book is smallish in size, has a beautiful cover, and is nic...more
Becky R.
I couldn't help myself when I saw this pretty book sitting on the "New Arrivals" shelf at my local library. When I flipped it open, it had the coolest entries about things like milk baths, the trapeze, the omelet, badminton, and more, all with their history and context. The history isn't intense, but it is a nice overview of how things have evolved. In a sense, it's a cultural encyclopedia of random facts that might pop up in a British or French novel. For instance, the entry on red lipstick was...more
Antonia
A veritable cabinet of curiosities. Anecdotes about a wide range of subjects of particular interest to the author, the exotic and the elegant, arranged alphabetically (though I was very surprised and disappointed to find no Z! How could she not include Z??/). Really great fun — a book to read at a leisurely pace, dipping into from time to time. I’ve taken my time with it and will return. I’ve enjoyed reading entries to my husband after dinner (or while he cooks dinner!). Typical entries: champag...more
Annie Pliego
A simply fantastic and fun book.
"The perfect omelet is an exacting work of simplicity: delicate, but not puffy; golden, but not burned; firm enough to fold, but not so stiff it breaks; creamy, but cooked through. Ancient Romans ate omelets."
Alison
An encyclopedia of charming delights, and the folklore and history that accompanies them. Example entries: far niente (languorous idleness), Bartlett pears, pouf hairstyles, red lipstick, saffron.
Keata138
I feel richer for having read this book. Interesting historical facts - that I never would have come across had it not been for this book - stuck in my mind long after having read about them. It's a very diverse collection. There are stories of people, stories of places, and stories of things (several of which I've managed to grab off of e-bay).

Since it's written as an encyclopedia, it's a nice nightly read before bed allowing one to read a lot or a little. Sections range from half a page to fi...more
Nomad
I recieved many miscellany books such as this recently and can't really figure out where to put them on my shelves, so for the time being... we're going to call them history. Whimsical history yes, but history nevertheless.

Alright, so this was an absolute treat. I honestly believe that it is impossible to be in a bad mood when you put this book down. It's that infectious and happy a kind of a book. Recently I started reading romance genre books a bit and it lead me to these sorts of books. The w...more
Ann
Alli gave me this delightful book for Christmas, and I have greatly enjoyed it. The authoress subtitles this book "An Anecdotal History of Elegant Delights" and points out that "exquisite" comes from the Latin verb exquirere, to search out, or to seek, or as the OED explains it, "It means uncommon delicacies, carefully selected, and the kind of beauty that can excite intense delight or admiration." Basically this is a trivia book but a very interesting and well-researched trivia book.

The subject...more
Violet
If you love fun, bizarre historical facts, this is the book for you. It has brief entries about things throughout history that were created for beauty's sake. Some are small things like origami, some are entire buildings or magical gardens. Particularly interesting are the stories about chopines and the art of hot air ballooning. This is a great bedside reader since you can pick it up and read a single entry without a big investment in time. A most enjoyable read!
Treasure
An excellent gift book, this reference guide covers the history and use of lovely things, such as champagne, bubble baths, red lipstick, and badminton, with fun anecdotes and occasionally salacious details. Easy to pick up and put down, flip through, or settle into, this is ideal for a secret santa, coworker, or gift for a woman (or sensitive man) when you have no idea what to get them. Must be read under a cozy blanket with a cup of tea.
Bronwyn
This was a treasure trove of wonderful things, ranging from the well-known to the obscure. Some entries, such as the essays corresponding to 'Tempest' and 'Solteties' left me breathless with delight and aching to learn more.

I greatly enjoyed the read and would recommend it to anyone with an interest in history.
Annie
I LOVED this book! A wonderful, inspiring, elegantly-written little tome of information. I loved that I could read a few chapters, put it down, and then pick it up again to be inspired anew by something I'd never heard of before.

I am definitely keeping this as a reference book, and also giving it to friends!
SixBeforeLunch
The perfect book to accompany a cup of tea and a cozy chair. The format makes it easy to dip in and out of, but I ended up reading it more or less all the way through in order because each entry is so interesting that you just want to keep reading.
Rae Ganci Hammers
Jessica Kerwin Jenkins' ENCYCLOPEDIA OF THE EXQUISITE is a beautifully designed and well-researched book of diversions. Not meant to be read cover-to-cover, but rather, to be thumbed through when one is struck with ennui, boredom, or the occasional spark of curiosity.

Some critics will surely say, "She left out this!" or, "Why in the world would she include that!?" But I think Jenkins has curated a delightful assortment of historical anecdotes and trivia that span the globe and reach as far back...more
Becky
Thanks to Alison for mentioning this at book club -- it's lovely. Subtitled "An Anecdotal History of Elegant Delights," the author's introduction talks about her years writing for a slick magazine.

"While those years taught me to recognize beauty of all kinds, to respect it, and to allow myself the time to ponder the exquisite, by contrast, this book is an ode to life's many luxuries that don't require much spending. It's about how knowing the royal lineage of a common Bartlett pear or the origi...more
Mary
A lovely little read which I recommend to those with a whimsical side and a love of interesting trivia and stories.
Sandra Harvey
Engrossing. full of delicacies and tidbits. The fan, the mask, fireworks, pears.
Kate Mereand-Sinha
A lovely coffee table book.
Dina
A fascinating potpourri of tidbits about the things that make the author like it here on earth. The entries vary in topic from the frivolous to more serious matters, but all are well presented with plenty of interesting facts to consider. I especially enjoyed reading about the music of crickets, the development and use of fireworks, and the origin of the word "hello." Fun to browse and dip into the entries of most interest to you.
Rebecca Huston
It's hard to define this book beyond that it's a collection of things. And nonfiction, mostly. Very light, rather fluffy, but fun to read through; it's the sort of book to dip into now and then, rather than just read through in a sitting or two.

For the longer review, please go here:
Bobbi
Like most personal compilations of encyclopedias this has it's moments of good and bad.
The entry on white paint, for instance, isn't so much on white paint as it's on the interior decorator who stripped away Victorian chintz for our more modern decorating is pretty good sample of what the book is about.

This made a great bathroom book. It took a while, but it was fun to dip into the short entries every so often.
Denise
I am very fond of "cabinet of curiosities" style books, of which this is one, but I feel though this book is in some very desperate need of pictures. I found myself time and time again having to go to Wikipedia to see things that had been described to me, which was annoying.

However, the extensive bibliography at the end is a refreshing inclusion in a non-academic book such as this, and much appreciated.
Jessie
This is a great "coffee table" read but I scored it low due to lack of photos for entries that would have benefited from it. For example, the book has an entry about the infamous beauty of Countess de Castiglione and talks about several portraits so I had to stop reading and google her (for the record, she's beautiful). Since some entries got illustrations, I would have preferred more of them in the book.
Lex
This was a cute book full of random tidbits about luxury items, or how they were viewed as luxurious back in the day. I learned some neat things and really appreciated the authour's detailed descriptions of the events/items. A review I read described the book as a non coffee table book - simply because there is no photos, however the book is bursting with information and I highly recommend it!
Thomas Stama
Fascinating book of helter skelter subjects.

One entry was about two gardening experts from the end of the 19th century.

The most precious is the entry on the word Enthusiasm. It comes from the ancient Greek ethousiasmos - literally "having God in us"! It had a negative meaning as in fanatic in the 17th thru 18th century and was referencing a religious fanatic.
Erin Tuzuner
I want to buy several copies of this and give them to people I love who live faraway. That is hardly an endorsement, per se, but really, this is an excellent compendium of underrated history and salacious historical tidbits. There are recipes, anecedotes, and history. I loved it. I need it. I need to give it to others.
Susan

I just adored this quirky wonderful book of
things to know. It is perfectly named and I am going to buy it as a Christmas gift for several of my friends, who share my appreciation for interesting, elegant bits and bobs.
Lindsey Torkko
I enjoyed reading bits and pieces of this book. A friend of mine was enduring cancer and treatments at the time and I would copy out parts and send her a related treat or gift to cheer her. It's a fun little volume.
Monique
great little read on everything from heels to pears, love letters and pears. love that this little book can be read anywhere at anytime. great info and fun to learn something new about simple, exquisite things. :)
Annemarie Donahue
Good, clever but a little boring in parts. There is nothing terribly meaty about this book. It's a collection of witty, but brief, bits of information on things that people consider "posh". Can't really recommend.
What did I miss? 2 11 Sep 22, 2013 11:01PM
  • Let's Bring Back: An Encyclopedia of Forgotten-Yet-Delightful, Chic, Useful, Curious, and Otherwise Commendable Things from Times Gone By
  • Better than Beauty: A Guide to Charm
  • Ugly Beauty: Helena Rubinstein, L'Oreal, and the Blemished History of Looking Good
  • City Chic: An Urban Girl's Guide to Livin' Large on Less
  • Style A to Zoe: The Art of Fashion, Beauty, & Everything Glamour
  • A Guide to Elegance: For Every Woman Who Wants to Be Well and Properly Dressed on All Occasions
  • Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste & Style
  • The Fabulous Girl's Guide to Decorum
  • Fact. Fact. Bullsh*t!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris's Soviet Roots - Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History and Beyond!
  • How to Never Look Fat Again: Over 1,000 Ways to Dress Thinner--Without Dieting!
  • Finding Atlantis: A True Story of Genius, Madness, and an Extraordinary Quest for a Lost World
  • Dreaming of Dior: Every Dress Tells a Story
  • Perfumes: The Guide
  • 100 Years of Fashion Illustration
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • Eccentric Glamour: Creating an Insanely More Fabulous You
  • Tim Walker Pictures
  • Counterknowledge
Jessica Kerwin Jenkins began her career in New York writing for Women's Wear Daily and for W magazine, later moving to Paris, where she was W's European editor. She lived in Montmartre, but assignments took her all over Europe, and beyond, from Madrid to Copenhagen to Athens to Venice to Ibiza to Tallin, visiting villas, palazzos, chateaux, and haciendas. She once dined in the Tower of London and...more
More about Jessica Kerwin Jenkins...
All the Time in the World: A Book of Hours

“As Oscar Wilde (1854-1900) pointed out, twilight 'is not without loveliness, though perhaps its chief use is to illustrate quotations from the poets.' Then again, maybe poetry's chief use is to inspire us to watch the sun go down.” 0 likes
“After they became a couple, they collaborated on deliriously optimistic projects, from their famous bed-ins to the creation of a conceptual country called Nutopia. The skeptics were incensed, and the duo withstood all the criticism slung at prominent optimists of the past, though it hardly slowed them down. 'Some critic recently commented on us, John and I, as being lollipop artists who are preoccupied with blowing soap-bubbles forever,' Ono wrote. 'I thought that was beautiful.” 0 likes