Start by marking “Being Dead” as Want to Read:
Being Dead

Being Dead

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  775 ratings  ·  75 reviews
For use in schools and libraries only. Master storyteller Vivian Vande Velde explores the world of the dead and the undead in this surprisingly moving collection of unnerving tales.
Published (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Being Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being Dead

♫randomly Me♫
May 22, 2009 ♫randomly Me♫ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
This book scared the crap out of me but it made me realize the importance of life and opened my eyes to something I never really thought of, be aware that you will cry at some points and be scared at others.
Cait
Most of the stories in this book are straightforward and well-done ghost stories -- "The Ghost" is obvious but amusing, "Shadow Brother" and "For Love of Him" are creepy as advertised, and "October Chill" and "Being Dead" are touchingly sad. "Dancing with Majorie's Ghost" is silly, and not as interesting as the others.

"Drop by Drop" is horrifying. Not terrifying. When you get to the end of the story (or near enough to put the end together) and realize what's happened, it's horrifying, of the put...more
Jodie
A chilling book of seven short stories, each a little different. The cover is enough to give you nightmares. I'm not a fan of short stories, I am a series girl, but for some reason I picked this one up and so glad I did!

Drop by Drop is a 60 page tale of a young girl and her family moving to the country. Once arriving only Brenda seems to be having visits from something beyond this world. Once she realizes just what, or should I say who it is it'll leave you stunned.
Dancing With Marjorie's Ghost...more
Allison Parker
This collection of short stories, some scary, some not, investigates that mysterious boundary between life and death. Vivian Vande Velde uses surprise, intrigue, fear, and even a little humor to entertain her readers. The first story, "Drop by Drop," is by far the stand-out: a teen girl, depressed at having to move with her family into the country, discovers a ghostly visitor upon their arrival. The ghost, a little girl, makes herself known only around water. When she appears, she is also drench...more
Melissa
Melissa Wickelhaus
Short Stories

Being Dead by Vivian Cande Velde contains seven short stories about death, ghosts, cemeteries, and other such dark things. One story follows Brenda, a teen who moves to country with her family and is haunted by the dripping wet, bloody ghost of a young girl riding a bicycle. After a few days of being tormented by the ghost, Brenda realizes that her involvement with the young girl is much more serious than she thought. Another story tells of a man who never treated...more
Jun
this is like one of the best ghost story books i read. some actully sounds so real that it give me night mares. but it is a good book after all. so if you are not sacred of reading scared things or love to read scary things, you should go pick up one of this book and read it yourself. you can read it to your friends as ghost stories and get them sacred!
TheSaint
Being Dead, another book of creepy short stories by Vivian Vande Velde, will not disappoint the many fans of her horror fiction. Ghosts are the theme of each of these seven stories -- ghosts who may or may not really want to haunt the living. And the living are (mostly) not thrilled to be haunted. This is one of the author's best efforts.
Syanna
I just finished a scary, mysterious book called Being Dead by Vivian Vande Velde. This book tells some scary, short stories. They are all about people finding ghosts in there houses, ghosts talking to people and more. I really like scary or mysterious stories, hopefully you do to if you are thinking about reading this book.
Debbie
Jan 18, 2008 Debbie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teen horror fans
Shelves: short-story, horror
Creepy collection of short stories. The first story, "Drop by Drop," was my favorite. Brenda is sullen and unpleasant to be around when her parents decide to move to a new house in a tiny little town. Brenda's mood does not improve when a dripping girl who no one else can see appears in the house.

Not gory, just creepy.
Amanda Gonzalez
this book is really scary but cool and its wow now im in the begin of the story but its sound so good to read tonight
Stultuscaudex
LOVED it. The short stories were wonderfully written, and most had some very unexpected twists to them!
Madeline
In Vivian's book Being Dead, there are not just one, but seven ghost stories told. The book started off with a scary story about a sixteen year old girl that moved out to the middle of nowhere. The girl keeps getting phone calls even though the phone isn't connected yet. The phone call is of a small girl asking for help and ringing a bicycle bell. You think that nothing else is gonna happen besides little things like that, but then the small girl appears in her bathroom when she is taking a bath...more
M—
A collection of really very good ghost stories rather along the lines of Scary Stories to Read in the Dark as intended for a slightly older age group.

Drop by Drop — A teen girl finds herself being haunted by the slowly decomposing ghost of a young girl. (view spoiler)...more
Sara
I borrowed this book from a friend and found it pretty interesting. However, to be honest, only 2 of the stories really interested me to the point where i wanted to know how it ended. The others in-between were a bit too generic for my tastes but still good. Drop by Drop and October Chill were my two favorites of the seven in the book. Do not misinterpret my review. The book is good and i suppose to those who are easily spooked, a good source of a small scare.
Kaylee
I read this book in eighth grade I believe, and loved it! It made me jump at times like in movies when they have scary pop ups; well, this book had pop ups! It is about a girl whose family buys a house the country, and when they arrive weird things happen. From objects being moved, to first encounters, this book will be sure to grab your attention, and will make you want to sleep with the lights on.
Niquie
Warning: Not creepy at all.

Drop by Drop: liked, was clever (view spoiler), left me feeling sad

Dancing with Marjorie's Ghost: was okay, but I feel like I've read this type of story before

Shadow Brother: my favorite story of the collection, really liked, the narrator was insightful and there was a depth to this story

The Ghost: was okay, cute story about a prank loving ghost

For Love of Him: liked, boy gets caught up with ghosts in a cemetery

O...more
Jasmine Roque
Perhaps it's because the cover was misleading, or because I've read Anthony Horowitz's ghost stories and since a) I read them when I was a few years younger and b) some really scared the crap out of me so I now automatically expect ghost stories to scare me in some way, I found most of these stories a bit disappointing. The first was more well-thought out, many of the rest seemed to just be thrown in, almost like filler (the one with the book's namesake, for example). I don't know why though, bu...more
Payton Nielsen
The stories in this book are kinda the perfect size for each of the stories. For the most part I enjoyed the short stories and found them quite interesting!
Kathleen Garber
This is a small book of short stories. It is written for young adults. I was expecting it to be scarier based on the quotes on the book:

"It'll make you want to sleep with the lights on." - Teen People
"Vande Velde again chills, charms, moves and startles with her customary effectiveness" - Kirkus Reviews

However I suppose the stories may be scarier for a teenager.

My favourites were the first and last story which not coincidently were the scariest of them all. (There are only 7 stories in all.) The...more
Davíð Sigurður
got this one from the library before realizing it was for teens, quite tame and not original, although I found drop by drop and shadow brother enjoyable
Alicia Whitaker
I really enjoyed this book. There all short stories but very interesting
Jacob
Very average collection of off-kilter young adult horror stories. "For Love of Him" and "October Chill" stand out as the only stories of note for being genuinely unsettling and sweet and dark in equal parts, respectively.(And also because I love ghost-human romance and wish there was more of it.) The other stories have good and original elements but are hampered down by bad pacing or too much joking at parts, but I guess you can't expect Lovecraftian creepiness or King-esque suspense and grand h...more
Dbs001
A book of short stories, all written from various perspectives of death (those that are dying, that have siblings/children who died, etc.). Although written as to speak to teen girls, it has a universal appeal. It looks like a horror book, but has some very profound and real takes on the subject of death and the impacts it can have on the living. Not insulting in intelligence at all, everyone can gain something from this quick, enjoyable read that will stay with you for some time.
Kerri
The cover of this book makes it look creepier than it really was. I thought it was a lot of fun! I felt like I was watching an episode of Supernatural while reading this collection of stories. I have always wanted to find a good book to offer students when they come to me saying that they want a scary book. This one is just scary enough to keep their interest, and I think girls would like it just as much as boys! I'll be looking for more from this author!
Evelyn Fields
This is a book with multiple stories in it. The story I read was called "Drop By Drop", a chilling story about a young women, between the age of 16 and 18, is being horribly haunted by a ghost of a young girl. When she finds out the reason why she is being haunted, her whole world comes crashing down. I loved this story because of the intentness climaxes and unexpected ending. I think any one tyhat loves horror she definitely read this story.
Jamie Brooks
I read her other book of stories and I wanted a book I could read in about 2 hours all the way through so I picked up this one. Only 7 stories this time instead of 13 which I actually think is better because the stories were longer and had more thought to them. I enjoyed it. I might check out some of her other books around halloween time just for fun because of the season. I am going to see if she writes any other genre of books besides young adult
Lucy
"Meh."

The stories were ok, I didn't even read the last one. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Maybe some day I will. Now on a more positive note, I wish that October Chill was a stand-alone book. It's the best story out of them all. It had so much potential and it left me wanting to read more about it. Even though I really fancied the plot of October Chill, the rest of the stories just didn't pull me in.
Kristi
Yes, it's for young adults, but I find the age group to be more engaging because it doesn't get dummied down by too much sex. This was pretty imaginative. At a few times predictable, but other times I found I thought I'd figured something out and was incorrect. If you read R.L. Stine or Christopher Pike and want something along those lines give this book a try. I will definitely read more by the author now.
Abby Cavenaugh
I enjoyed this book very much. My favorite stories were "Drop by Drop," which had a fantastic teen voice that reminded me of the YA I'm writing, and "October Chill," which was a very cool teenage-girl-in-love-with-a-ghost story. All of the stories were creepy and very well written. I'd recommend to anyone who loves a good ghost story! :)
Wunmi
This is a well written book. I am not really a fan of ghost stories but I just love the way this book is written. It is a collection of about 5 short unrelated ghost stories. I loved every story in the book. I could not drop the book till I got to the end. The first story is my favorite. I enjoyed the twist at the end. I highly recommend this book
  • Darkness Creeping: Twenty Twisted Tales
  • Nowhere Girl
  • A Deadly Game of Magic
  • Sweet Miss Honeywell's Revenge: A Ghost Story
  • By These Ten Bones
Vivian Vande Velde (born 1951, currently residing in Rochester, New York) is an American author who writes books primarily aimed at young adults.

Her novels and short story collections usually have some element of horror or fantasy, but are primarily humorous. Her book Never Trust a Dead Man (1999) received the 2000 Edgar Award for Best Young Adult Novel. She says that she really likes to write for...more
More about Vivian Vande Velde...
Heir Apparent (Rasmussem Corporation, #2) Dragon's Bait Companions of the Night The Rumpelstiltskin Problem Cloaked in Red

“People always talk about good, fresh country air, but I kept getting wiffs of something that was neither good nor fresh but definitely country.” 12 likes
“Then, early, early, early in the morning-just as in countless Disney films-I heard a rooster crow. But guess what? They don't do it just once.” 8 likes