Organic Body Care Recipes: 175 Homemade Herbal Formulas for Glowing Skin & a Vibrant Self

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  336 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Radiantly healthy skin, hair, feet, hands, eyes, and nails. Commercial beauty products make this promise every day and live up to it with varying degrees of success. Stephanie Tourles offers a better solution to everyone frustrated with the endless cycle of expensive, synthetic, famous-name cosmetics that often fall short of expectations. Take control of beauty treatments...more
Published June 1st 2007 by Storey Publishing (first published May 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Organic Body Care Recipes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Organic Body Care Recipes

Charity (CJ)
I've made four recipes from this, the Aloe and Calendula Cleansing Cream, the Fennel Soother, the Smooth-as-Velvet Vanilla Toner, and the "Out Damn Spot" Antiblemish Elixir. I've not tried the vanilla one yet because it's still got a week and a half to steep until it's ready, but I've been using the others for the past several days.

The cleansing cream is an incredible moisturizer. My husband has eczema on his hands, and this is just wiping it out. It's taken a little getting used to as a facial...more
Lori
Prompted by less than favorable reviews, I found this book in my local library rather than purchasing it. I'm glad I did- I ended up copying down only about 10 of the 175 recipes. This was because not all the recipes are suitable for all skin types (of course) and because many of the recipes differ only slightly. So it was easy to choose just a few that included ingredients I was already sold on either because I own them or because they are affordable and easy to find. For someone who is looking...more
AnandaTashie
Honestly, I skipped the first section touting the benefits of a natural approach and the second section going over all the ingredients. I wanted to look at this book for the actual recipes so that's what I did. :D

Ones I want to try, chosen for simplicity, scent, and general need. (Note: I've omitted directions & application tips from some of the below. Also, I've abbreviated, so the book's wording is different.)

p 122, Cleansing & Rejuvenating Oil (all skin types)
2 tbsp each almond, apric...more
Mermarie
Still memorizing recipes and sorting through the herb lists I can fetch in my region. The flowers were horrid this year, due to the drought, and Bluegrass dustbowl, but I managed to get in touch with a few friends, and my dad(who grows luxurious roses, like you'd never believe), and ask that they harvest the petals for rose oil & water. Great for facials & bath rituals. For a rose toner, I've also learned adding witch hazel for astringent and vitamin E for natural preservation! It's real...more
Alex Faucher
This book was my introduction to DIY body care and it really opened my eyes to what I could actually make myself. I like the idea of knowing exactly what I'm putting on my body and love that the book features so many recipes tailored to different skin types. However, I found that after some experimentation, most of the recipes in this book are just annoyingly complicated, and many feature expensive or hard to find ingredients. In the end, I only occasionally use the simplest recipes or the gener...more
Jennifer Schmakeit
I try to be holistic from cleaners to shampoo to medicine but often I'm so busy working that I don't have time to figure out a new recipe to apply to my day to day needs and this book makes it easy to incorporate new recipes for new needs or applications at my fingertips. If you're looking for a way to "lean " into using essential oils and herbs or if you're like me and have been at it for a while but just want a straight forward reference to avoid experimenting or guesswork the this is the book...more
Jessica Blankenship
One of my many New Year Resolutions this year was to go organic. Be more green in every aspect in life. After researching all the negative impacts on commercial projects on my health, was the reason I wanted a change. Most of the chemicals in commercial can HURT you, possibly leading to cancer, infertility, and hormonal problems down the road. The skin absorbs the chemicals in shampoo, lotion, bath products, and everything else that comes in contact with it.

You’ll have to work your way up to mak...more
Emily
I borrowed this book from a friend, and it's looking like I'm going to end up buying it. The author is friendly, descriptive and just the right shade of crazy for me.
Plus the creamy clay masks make my skin look fantastic. The ladies I love are going to get one hell of a body care package for Christmas this year.
Caryn
Skin care and skin function is explained really well. The recipes seem easy enough to make, there are ingredients that aren't in every person house, some essential oils for example but reading the information you understand why a particular essential oil might be in a particular recipe - for example as an anti-inflammatory ingredient, so you can decide if it is worth the investment. For myself I have been using home made skin and hair care recipes for a while now and find commercial products sme...more
Rebekah D
Best natural body care book with lots of great, easy to use recipes and it tells you what it's useful for too! I want to buy it for myself!
Connie
Some really great recipes. I have tried quite a few and loved most of them.
Bunny
This book is way too fat for what it is. The first 113 pages are useless, for one thing.

I love the idea of healthy homemade self maintenance. But I do not love the idea of going out of my way, either by driving or by internet hunting, to find ingredients to allegedly make my life easier. I've priced some of the weirder ingredients in here, and, much like fast food is cheaper than organic food, chemical laden face care and conditioners are entirely cheaper than the weird assortment of crap in th...more
Andrea
Fantastic recipes that are easy to follow using ingredients you can actually find. I have greatly enjoyed the reduced steps in my morning using some simple guidelines and reducing the amount of times a week I wash my hair. Who knew dry scalp could be from washing too much.

Some of the items are expensive, but the quantities are small so it doesn't have to break you to try something new out. I hope when I get an oven and range to work on a couple double boiler recipes as gifts for super deserving...more
Maja Haloway
A fun collection of body care recipes for total body pampering. I love the fact that these can be made with easy-to-find organic ingredients, and are not too complicated. We used some of the recipes in a recent girlfriends' get-together, and had a fabulous time making wonderful face cleansing creams, masks and scrubs that worked great, and looked so pretty in our little decorated jars and tins. Nice gift ideas for the favorite women in your life.
Rochelle
Very informative book. I am very concerned about all of the chemicals that we continue to put on our bodies with all the products we use as women. This book opened my eyes even more so and showed me how easy it is to make everyday products that are good for my skin and cheaper to make that what the stores sell. Best of all I can pronounce every ingredient I put in them and I know exactly what I am putting on the largest organ of my body, my skin.
Kerri
Most of the recipes in this book require a lot of regular preparation and involve a lot of ingredients I don't have around my house. I found it very useful for the glossary of organic ingredients which give a good description of many essential oils and herbs that I am interested in trying and planting. I pulled about 10 from a list of hundreds of recipes that appeal to me and do not require excessive preparation or purchasing of ingredients.
Bonnie
Lots of great recipes and seems like it's a great book on the topic, but I only give it 3 stars because the money investment just seemed too great unless you're pretty serious about it. Most recipes have long ingredient lists and there is equipment needed. I have very little of the stuff needed and I don't have the money right now, so I never tried a recipe, but when/if I ever do, I would definitely pick this up again for consultation.
A great book for people looking for chemical-free alternatives to mass-produced beauty products. If you have sensitive, easily irritated skin like me, or if you're looking for a fun weekend gift project, there are plenty of great recipes and ideas here. Can't wait to try the lip balm recipes, now that my favorite peppermint beeswax lip balm (I won't name names) significantly changed their recipe...
Amber Val
I love the order in which this book is written. First, the basics of skin, hair and nails then a great glossary of most used ingredients in the book's recipes so there is no double-guessing why the author included certain ingredients in certain recipes. Also, the recipes pretty much stick to well-known and easily accessible ingredients that an amateur bath and body "chef" might find have around.
Jill
I haven't read every word of the book, but I'm ready to move on with it. She has a very natural viewpoint to skincare, but it can be a bit overwhelming. I'm working on incorporating a few bits at a time to see how things go. Some of her recipes are dead-simple and some are more complex. I'll update here if they are awful or tricky when I try them.
Jen
This book has some fun, easy recipes for homemade beauty products. Even at the health food store I typically don't like the products I find, so lately I have been motivated to try to make the perfect concoctions of my own. Tyler hasn't been overly excited about my new venture, but I am going to keep at it until I find something that he likes!
Kathleen
good information about how to avoid using products with harmful chemicals that your skin can absorb--but the recipes for the products are not that convenient, since most have to be made for immediate use. i was hoping to find recipes for things i could make in advance. i don't want to mash up mangoes and oatmeal every morning.
Mar 09, 2013 Laura marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Nikki and Andreas gave me this book for Christmas. I'm enjoying going through it and finding the recipes for what I want to make. I'm hoping to eliminate commercial skin and hair care products from our house as much as possible, along with commercial cleaning products too. Now to find a good place to buy essential oils!
Kathy
This book explains the dangers of using commercial products. It covers everything from ingredients, preperation and storage to the many recipes designed for babies through the elderly. I have tried some of the recipes and found them to be great alternatives to what I used to buy.
Heather
lots of interesting recipes for facial cleaners, toners, scrubs and lotions, with a few lip balms and a disappointingly short hair care section. a handful of random cold/flu remedies, bug repellents and sunburn treatments as well, and a large introduction to ingredients and their effects.
AJ
I have a lot of cocoa butter sitting unused in my fridge and was hoping to find some kind of hand lotion I could make from it in this book. Unfortunately, most of the recipes in here aren't vegan. A promising lotion using cocoa butter also called for beeswax and lanolin.
Colleen
Didn't get to actually USE any of the recipes (book was overdue back to the library) but flipped through it a few times and saw lots of great things for creams, lotions, cleansers, masks, and the like. Will definitely take out from the library again!
Rachel
Oh wow, I loved this book! I borrowed it from my local library, but I will have to buy it soon. I've already made a few of the recipes and love the results. This is a must-have for anyone who wants to lead a more healthy lifestyle.
M
Investing in these kinds of ingredients is very expensive, and I don't use a lot of these kinds of products (face masks, body scrubs, face lotions) anyway. I was only interested in 4 recipes.
Joan
If you are interested at all in eliminating some chemicals from entering your body , this is a good place to start. Great recipes for homemade products that are easy to make and great for your skin
  • The Green Beauty Guide: Your Essential Resource to Organic and Natural Skin Care, Hair Care, Makeup, and Fragrances
  • Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family
  • GREEN CLEAN: The Environmentally Sound Guide to Cleaning Your Home
  • No More Dirty Looks: The Truth About Your Beauty Products and the Ultimate Guide to Safe and Clean Cosmetics
  • Clean House Clean Planet
  • 20,000 Secrets of Tea: The Most Effective Ways to Benefit from Nature's Healing Herbs
  • Make Your Place: Affordable, Sustainable Nesting Skills
  • The Naturally Clean Home: 101 Safe and Easy Herbal Formulas for Nontoxic Cleansers
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Nontoxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, And, Perhaps, Your Sanity
  • The Soapmaker's Companion: A Comprehensive Guide with Recipes, Techniques & Know-How
  • Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living
  • Big Green Purse: Use Your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs
  • Sephora: The Ultimate Guide to Makeup, Skin, and Hair from the Beauty Authority
  • Student's Go Vegan Cookbook: Over 135 Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegan Recipes
  • The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy: Over 600 Natural, Non-Toxic and Fragrant Recipes to Create Health - Beauty - a Safe Home Environment
  • Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine
Raw Energy: 124 Raw Food Recipes for Energy Bars, Smoothies, and Other Snacks to Supercharge Your Body Hands-On Healing Remedies: 150 Recipes for Herbal Balms, Salves, Oils, Liniments & Other Topical Therapies The Herbal Body Book: A Natural Approach to Healthier Hair, Skin, and Nails Naturally Healthy Skin: Tips & Techniques for a Lifetime of Radiant Skin 365 Ways to Energize Mind, Body & Soul