Start by marking “Joie de Vivre: Simple French Style for Everyday Living” as Want to Read:
Joie de Vivre: Simple French Style for Everyday Living

Joie de Vivre: Simple French Style for Everyday Living

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  217 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
When it comes to making the most of life, nobody does it better than the French. Now, with Joie de Vivre: Simple French Style for Everyday Living, an inspired fusion of art, style, and easy-to-implement ideas, anyone can feel like they spent a weekend in the French countryside, no matter where they live.

Renowned restaurateur Robert Arbor puts a refreshing emphasis on simpl
Published June 20th 2008 by Simon & Schuster (first published April 22nd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Joie de Vivre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joie de Vivre

Mary Ess
Dec 05, 2015 Mary Ess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have only been to Paris once and something clicked. I love to cook and entertain so ideas on accomplishing this in French style was heavenly.
Beth
Sep 08, 2015 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book by a Frenchman who is a restaurateur in New York City, and also owns a home in the French countryside. He writes about that French zest for life as illustrated by simple food-related pleasures enjoyed everyday. He starts with breakfast (cafe au lait and baguettes), then covers vegetable gardening, going to the market, lunch, afternoon break (la pause gourmande), dinner, and hosting a dinner party. The book includes some recipes and lots of insights into French customs.
Christina
Mar 11, 2016 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read with lots of great recipes scattered throughout the book. It has many great suggestions on how to adapt the French lifestyle while living in the US, which is often not so conducive to a Joie de Vivre.

This will be a book that I will refer back to many times. I recommend it to any Francophile , or anyone who is looking to add a little something to your daily routine.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Arbor is a Frenchman now living in America who owns a restaurant. One of the pleasures of this book is that it contains many, many recipes. But that is certainly not the only pleasure.

And that's what this book is all about: Pleasures. Simple pleasures. The pleasures that French people find in their every day lives. Preparing food. Eating. Spending time with their families. Spending time with their friends.

A lovely, lovely book. I want to see this way of life at work (and, hopefully, I will...in
Claire
Apr 18, 2007 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My stressed-out, fast-food-loving compatriots
This marvelous book made me want to slow down and cook a five course meal, then eat everything in satisfyingly small proportions. This is a book that makes you desperately crave fresh, unprocessed food and long, wine-filled nights with friends. In the beginning I found the author's pervasive superiority a little off-putting, but I encourage anyone to continue reading because you will become totally captivated. I especially enjoyed the chapters on breakfast and market day.
Aaron Vanderhoff
The book is an easy read. It's basically about slowing down your pace of life and trying to accept food as a source of pleasure instead of mere sustinence.

The recipes and food described inside its covers range from very accessible to somewhat accessible, depending on where you live.

Overall, it's an ode to enjoying food, family, and life in general. When you're eating, eat, and do it with people and conversation you enjoy.
Danielle Yevsa
Jul 17, 2011 Danielle Yevsa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is looking for ways to find more happiness in their lives
Although the book has many handy tips and excellent recipes, I found that the family focus of the French lifestyle the author is describing is extraordinarily similar to the Orthodox Jewish lifestyle I already lead. The most important tip I took from this book was how to properly wash a leek to remove all the dirt and grim.
Amanda
Feb 21, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I'm having a passe French phase, made even worse by the fact that my French ancestors were Alsatian, which is like Baja-France. BUT, this book is the size of a vinyl record and a quick read and has some good recipes, and some not-so good three page descriptions of how to eat toast.
Agnes
Apr 18, 2007 Agnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who need inspiration to enjoy the basics in life
Though the tone of the author was a bit grating at first, I really enjoyed this book. It's similar to the "French Women Don't Get Fat" books in its ability to make one think about the enjoyment of life's simple pleasures and the huge benefits of eating fresh and healthy foods.
Crystal
I loved all the ideas for creating a simpler, slower, more enjoyable lifestyle. The writing isn't fabulous, and it's definitely one person's point of view, but it did make me take note and try to find ways to slow down and enjoy my meals and life more.
Kelly
Jan 04, 2009 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh! So awesome!! I truly enjoyed this book! It's all about living life for the little things, such as food (mainly). Slow down is it's overall theme which I all think we could use to do.
Rachel Metz
May 13, 2010 Rachel Metz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely vision of the good life. Mostly text and recipes that lull me into a calm, nurturing place. Warm and inspiring.
Catherine
Oct 26, 2007 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the only cookbook i have found that actually captures the art of simple french food.
Deborah Schuler
Dec 30, 2012 Deborah Schuler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Change your attitude and find joy in simple pleasures - timeless advice
Nancy
Aug 24, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful simple recipes and a wonderful sense of warmth and friendly living.
Carolyn
I go back and read this book whenever I get a little lonesome for France
Kathleen
Aug 11, 2008 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france
I'm being adopted by Robert Arbor and moving to France. Au revoir!
Erin
Oct 28, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I only could live like this, my life would be complete.
claire
Jun 22, 2009 claire rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a little too francophilic for my taste!
Natasha
Oct 01, 2008 Natasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved this book...It makes me feel happy!
Leannr
simple, French cooking and life overall...
Ruth
May 20, 2010 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting, not very applicable
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Heather Santiago
Heather Santiago marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Sherri
Sherri added it
Aug 11, 2016
Gretchen
Gretchen marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Edie Ramsdell
Edie Ramsdell rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Aly
Aly rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Natasha
Natasha rated it it was ok
Jul 30, 2016
Katie Eleazer
Katie Eleazer marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
  • Entre Nous: A Woman's Guide To Finding Her Inner French Girl
  • Cherry Bomb: The Ultimate Guide to Becoming a Better Flirt, a Tougher Chick, and a Hotter Girlfriend--and to Living Life Like a Rock Star
  • Metro Stop Paris: An Underground History of the City of Light
  • All You Need to Be Impossibly French: A Witty Investigation into the Lives, Lusts, and Little Secrets of French Women
  • Pardon My French: Unleash Your Inner Gaul
  • French Women Don't Sleep Alone: Pleasurable Secrets to Finding Love
  • Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat: Secrets of My Mother's Tokyo Kitchen
  • Rules, Britannia: An Insider's Guide to Life in the United Kingdom
  • Living The Savvy Life: The Savvy Woman's Guide to Smart Spending and Rich Living
  • Beauty Confidential: The No Preaching, No Lies, Advice-You'll- Actually-Use Guide to Looking Your Best
  • Postcards from France
  • French Cooking in Ten Minutes: Adapting to the Rhythm of Modern Life
  • The Twilight Years: The Paradox of Britain Between the Wars
  • Just Don't Call Me Ma'am: How I Ditched the South, Forgot My Manners, and Managed to Survive My Twenties with (Most of) My Dignity Still Intact
  • True Pleasures: A Memoir of Women in Paris