Joie de Vivre: Simple French Style for Everyday Living

Joie de Vivre: Simple French Style for Everyday Living

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  19 reviews
When it comes to making the most of life, nobody does it better than the French. Now, with Joie de Vivre: Simple French Style for Everyday Living, an inspired fusion of art, style, and easy-to-implement ideas, anyone can feel like they spent a weekend in the French countryside, no matter where they live.
Renowned restaurateur Robert Arbor puts a refreshing emphasis on sim...more
Published June 20th 2008 by Simon & Schuster (first published April 22nd 2003)

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Arbor is a Frenchman now living in America who owns a restaurant. One of the pleasures of this book is that it contains many, many recipes. But that is certainly not the only pleasure.

And that's what this book is all about: Pleasures. Simple pleasures. The pleasures that French people find in their every day lives. Preparing food. Eating. Spending time with their families. Spending time with their friends.

A lovely, lovely book. I want to see this way of life at work (and, hopefully, I will...in...more
Claire
Apr 18, 2007 Claire rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My stressed-out, fast-food-loving compatriots
This marvelous book made me want to slow down and cook a five course meal, then eat everything in satisfyingly small proportions. This is a book that makes you desperately crave fresh, unprocessed food and long, wine-filled nights with friends. In the beginning I found the author's pervasive superiority a little off-putting, but I encourage anyone to continue reading because you will become totally captivated. I especially enjoyed the chapters on breakfast and market day.
Aaron Vanderhoff
The book is an easy read. It's basically about slowing down your pace of life and trying to accept food as a source of pleasure instead of mere sustinence.

The recipes and food described inside its covers range from very accessible to somewhat accessible, depending on where you live.

Overall, it's an ode to enjoying food, family, and life in general. When you're eating, eat, and do it with people and conversation you enjoy.
Danielle
Jul 17, 2011 Danielle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is looking for ways to find more happiness in their lives
Although the book has many handy tips and excellent recipes, I found that the family focus of the French lifestyle the author is describing is extraordinarily similar to the Orthodox Jewish lifestyle I already lead. The most important tip I took from this book was how to properly wash a leek to remove all the dirt and grim.
Amanda
Okay, I'm having a passe French phase, made even worse by the fact that my French ancestors were Alsatian, which is like Baja-France. BUT, this book is the size of a vinyl record and a quick read and has some good recipes, and some not-so good three page descriptions of how to eat toast.
Agnes
Apr 18, 2007 Agnes rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who need inspiration to enjoy the basics in life
Though the tone of the author was a bit grating at first, I really enjoyed this book. It's similar to the "French Women Don't Get Fat" books in its ability to make one think about the enjoyment of life's simple pleasures and the huge benefits of eating fresh and healthy foods.
Crystal
I loved all the ideas for creating a simpler, slower, more enjoyable lifestyle. The writing isn't fabulous, and it's definitely one person's point of view, but it did make me take note and try to find ways to slow down and enjoy my meals and life more.
Kelly
Oh! So awesome!! I truly enjoyed this book! It's all about living life for the little things, such as food (mainly). Slow down is it's overall theme which I all think we could use to do.
Rachel Metz
A lovely vision of the good life. Mostly text and recipes that lull me into a calm, nurturing place. Warm and inspiring.
Catherine
the only cookbook i have found that actually captures the art of simple french food.
Deborah Schuler
Change your attitude and find joy in simple pleasures - timeless advice
Nancy
Wonderful simple recipes and a wonderful sense of warmth and friendly living.
Carolyn
I go back and read this book whenever I get a little lonesome for France
Kathleen
I'm being adopted by Robert Arbor and moving to France. Au revoir!
Erin
If I only could live like this, my life would be complete.
claire
This one was a little too francophilic for my taste!
Natasha
loved this book...It makes me feel happy!
Leannr
simple, French cooking and life overall...
Ruth
interesting, not very applicable
Viki
Viki marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Gabi Prevoo
Gabi Prevoo marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Coddswaddle
Coddswaddle marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Mandy Anderson
Mandy Anderson marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014