Start by marking “The Young Carthaginian” as Want to Read:
The Young Carthaginian

The Young Carthaginian

Set in ancient times, during the Punic wars, this story follows the adventures of young Malchus, an officer in Hannibal's army. Henty describes the army's incredible journey through southern Europe and across the Alps in fascinating detail, providing both a lesson in ancient history and an absorbing story. The balance of power in Europe swayed between Rome and Carthage and ...more
Published May 1st 1998 by Lost Classics Book Company (first published 1887)

To ask other readers questions about The Young Carthaginian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Young Carthaginian

Nov 11, 2015 Feliks rated it did not like it
Can not recommend to others, nor even tolerate myself--even with the widest leeway granted for a children's adventure book, this is frankly godawful. I had high hopes for this fine-looking printed work of historic fiction---it is a very handsome volume, complete with publisher's notes, author's preface, maps, illustrations, and superb cover art. In short, everything one could ask except good writing. The book fails on four broad points: content, technique, characters, and dialog. I will itemize ...more
Féarghal Mac giobúin
Mar 29, 2015 Féarghal Mac giobúin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
I first read the Young Carthaginian as a child.

Back then the Romans were popularly seen as the good guys, the civilising force of order against the barbarian hordes. To read this through the eyes of a young Carthaginian officer, a cousin to the dreaded Hannibal was groundbreaking for me.

Malchus is a sympathetic protagonist and we follow him through campaigns in Spain, southern France, across the Alps and into Italy. Hannibal's greatest triumphs such as the River Trebia, Lake Trasimene and of cou
Jan 02, 2013 Tim rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, fiction
We borrowed this book (on CD) from some friends and listened to it in the van whilst traveling hither and yon. To my shame, it's the first Henty I've read. I have heard good things about Henty's work for a number of years, but this was my first experience.

I wish I could have given the book 3 1/2 stars, but I bumped it up to 4... I'm a nice guy.

It was a good story, packed with historical interests. The protagonist, Malchus, was quite lovable in a PG sort of way. He exemplifies many admirable cha
Vic Heaney
Dec 07, 2011 Vic Heaney rated it really liked it
A good old-fashioned adventure story. It follows Malchus, a young noble of Carthaginia, as he accompanies Hannibal's army as it invades Italy. Malchus takes part in all the astonishing battle victories of Hannibal and has a few adventures of his own.

A good way of learning some history (although Hannibal is already a hero of mine) at the same time as having a good read.

Of course the adventures, especially the implausibly easy escapes, stretch many points. Henty will not object to me giving him o
One of my favorite Henty books, I've always been fascinated by Hannibal's trek over the Alps and war on Rome.
May 17, 2015 Sue rated it liked it
This was an interesting way to learn more about Hannibal, Carthage and Rome. Good vocabulary provided in Henty's writing, and inspiring characters.
Sep 04, 2015 Marissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
We were reading this in our homeschool. We couldn't finish it. It didn't capture our attention and the kids kept saying how bored they were.
Abigail Rasmussen
Jul 26, 2011 Abigail Rasmussen rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-10-and-up
I read this book when I was 12 years old. Henty books are rather on the "boyish book" side but many girls I know (including myself) enjoy them as well.

You can find many G. A. Henty books on LibriVox:

A friend of ours, Jim Hodges, has recorded many G. A. Henty books and we own them all and my brothers have listened to everyone of them.
Jan 07, 2016 Del rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun book about a time I didn't know much about. The author does a pretty good job of transporting you back to give you a view of what life was like during the time of Hannibal. I enjoyed it, but someone who already knows a lot about this time likely would not. It is an era I haven't studied, however, so I learned enough to make it enjoyable.

Listened to the unabridged audiobook version.
Spenser White
This book tells well a perspective of history nor often told (but getting more prevalent): history from the perspective of the losers. I didn't know much of the facts I learned from this book and the character are portrayed well. It feels, though, like sometimes I'm in proper Victorian England, but each era of history makes the others before it like them in ways. Top notch book.
Sep 04, 2013 Lynn rated it did not like it
This book was intended for boys and a young adult book from the late 19th century. I read it because I love reading about Hannibal but it was far too old fashioned for me. I read classic books but this is more classic popular fiction of the time. I found the language too bombastic and overly dramatic. It was a good example of writing for the time but for me very boring! ...more
Feb 13, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: homeschoolers
This excellent read chronicles the adventures of a young carthagenian as he marches with Hannibal on the way to attack Rome during the second Punic war. The descriptions are rich in detail and lend a feeling of being on the battlefield. Henty always does a fine job of pulling the reader into the story.
Apr 14, 2012 Natasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Full of adventures, battles, and honor, this book is about a brave and astute young noble in Hannibal's army. Having listened to 'The Great Courses' excellent lecture series about Rome last year, it was quite interesting to get the story of the 2nd Punic War from the Carthaginian perspective.
Dylan Martin
Jun 08, 2010 Dylan Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Henty obviously wants to root for the Carthaginians against the Romans because they lost, but he discovered that they were pretty horrible, so this book is more complex than most because the good vs. evil line was harder for him to draw than usual.
Apr 28, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
So loooooong...but the boys and I both liked it. Accurate historical fiction, lots of great vocabulary, muted violence, even enjoyable for grown-ups. Excited to find this author and will definitely be reading more to the boys!
Aug 17, 2012 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of course, G. A. Henty delivers a great historical novel filled with characters of integrity, glorious battles and daring adventures. Only Henty can package history into such a fascinating tale.
Jan 19, 2008 Angelyn rated it it was amazing
I love all of Henty's books. They were written for teenage boys, but I like them as much as my son. He was a good historian so his books are fairly accurate. This is the story of Hannibal. Amazing.
Jun 17, 2008 John rated it really liked it
I still remember this book reading it as a young boy. Henty brought out historical events through the eyes of young boys and made them come to life. About Hanibal and his fight with Rome.
Jan 05, 2010 Rkeddins rated it liked it
Not sure why, but this was mas least favorite Henty book. It could be my lack of interest in this particular piece of history, but that hasn't kept me from enjoying his other books.
Nov 09, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love G.A. Henty books. love he inputs what he thinks and what is considered facts. Historical Fiction
A little dry at times, but the history in it was fantastic. Overall, I enjoyed the story.
Jun 08, 2009 Tessa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: boys
Recommended to Tessa by: Jameson
" least we should be free, and of all blessings none is to compare with that."
Jan 15, 2011 Jeb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: g-a--henty
this book is about hannibal.
Kendra Fletcher
Jul 04, 2012 Kendra Fletcher rated it liked it
Not a huge Henty fan.
Matt Jones
Sep 10, 2013 Matt Jones rated it it was amazing
Learned about a great general
Catherine Van
Jul 14, 2015 Catherine Van rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Best BOOK!!
Byron Woolley
Byron Woolley rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2016
Brigid marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016
  • Rebel's Keep (Crown and Covenant, #3)
  • The Red Keep: A Story of Burgundy in 1165
  • Hittite Warrior
  • Two Are Better Than One
  • The Gorilla Hunters
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • The Dark Lord's Demise (The Archives of Anthropos, #6)
  • El Dorado: Further Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel
  • The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy, #3)
  • The Children's Homer: The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy
  • Spy for the Night Riders
  • Sergeant York and the Great War (Men of Courage)
George Alfred Henty, better known as G.A. Henty, began his storytelling career with his own children. After dinner, he would spend and hour or two in telling them a story that would continue the next day. Some stories took weeks! A friend was present one day and watched the spell-bound reaction of his children suggesting Henty write down his stories so others could enjoy them. He did. Henty wrote ...more
More about G.A. Henty...

“What, did you think," she asked, laughing as he struggled up the bank, "that I, a Gaulish maiden, could not swim?"
"I did not think anything about it," Malchus said; "I saw you pushed in and followed without thinking at all."
Although they imperfectly understood each other's words the meaning was clear; the girl put her hand on his shoulder and looked frankly up in his face.
"I thank you," she said, "just the same as if you had saved my life. You meant to do so, and it was very good of you, a great chief of this army, to hazard your life for a Gaulish maiden. Clotilde will never forget.”