Start by marking “Mind Your Own Mortgage: The Wise Homeowner's Guide to Choosing, Managing, and Paying Off Your Mortgage” as Want to Read:

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  16 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
This Is the Book Lenders DON’T Want You to Read.

EMPOWERING HOMEOWNERS TO SHOP, MANAGE, AND ELIMINATE MORTGAGE DEBT

A mortgage is simply a pile of money. So why the complexity? Because the mortgage industry makes it that way. And the industry enslaves homeowners to mortgage debt.

Mind Your Own Mortgage changes the game by revealing inside information previously used against y
Published May 4th 2010 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Mind Your Own Mortgage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mind Your Own Mortgage

Jacks Aradio
Another financial book I read about 15 years later than I wish I had, but then it was only written 4 years ago. I read it right after I decided to stop the proceedings of a refinance I was in the middle of because I was doing some calculations on the amount of interest I would pay even though the rate was lower adding 5 more years to my mortgage would have cost me over $75K in new interest payments. Even with the new lower payment over 30 years it wouldn't make up for the additional interest inv ...more
Anita
May 03, 2011 Anita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book saved us $1,900.
Doris
This book increased my understanding of the mortgage industry triple-fold! A must read whether you currently own a home or ever plan to buy one. I am a Realtor who specializes in property management and a homeowner myself. Though some of the information is remedial other chapters helped me to understand how mortgage brokers can mislead clients with various sales pitches. It's true, we focus too much on monthly payments and too little on the overall big picture, the total long-term costs in our l ...more
Elliot
Jun 19, 2010 Elliot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
Mind Your Own Mortgage is a tract for the times. It was written in light of the recent financial meltdown, and seeks to get the U.S. economy in better shape by encouraging people to get their home economies in better shape.

The book comes in three main sections: Get a Grip on It (your mortgage), Shop for It and Manage It. The first section gives the lay of the land, talking about how the mortgage market works and how so many people have managed to ruin their finances. The second section is all ab
Jess Scott
Sep 19, 2012 Jess Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's always been a dream of mine to be able to own a home one day. I can be very paranoid though in my pursuit of "financial freedom" (I am careful not to go into debt and/or get into the whole "credit card" route).

I bought this book at a store nearby (happened to see it while browsing). It didn't take me long to decide to get a copy (less than 1 minute).

I found the material to be very informative, well-written and concise. But most of all useful and helpful.

Both material and spiritual fulfil
Mei
Jul 31, 2010 Mei rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mind Your Own Mortgage - Robert Bernabé
I read this book as part of Booksneeze.com.
While I did think that the first several chapters were interesting, I found that the tone of the book was frightening. This book made me not want to ever buy a house, and I had to be forcibly reminded that buying a house is good debt, and better than just paying rent...
My biggest complaint on this book was that the author brought Christianity into financial advice. At that point, he lost any and all credibility in
Nmyers
Jul 10, 2010 Nmyers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never thought I would give a mortgage book top stars, especially since my mother made me read this book. But.. this book clearly explains the process and shows good and bad examples in a way that people without an MBA can understand. I really liked the case examples and how he explains how ARMs and refinancing are not usually the wisest choice. I also appreciate how Bernabe demonstrates the tricks mortgage lenders use to lure folks in. I am keeping this book and buying my mom her own!
Emily
Mar 26, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although it was a bit repetitive, there was a great deal of useful information in this book that was broken down into easy to follow steps for obtaining the best mortgage. The shopping forms are probably the most useful part. It was geared more toward refinancing than obtaining a new home, but the principals still apply.
Zulma
Aug 27, 2011 Zulma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great reference book on managing your own mortgage. Many inside info that your normal Joe wouldn't know about the mortgage industry.
Aaron
Aaron rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Denzil
Denzil marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
LORRAINE
LORRAINE marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
M Saavedra
M Saavedra is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2015
Margaret Munyiva
Margaret Munyiva marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Gloria Hidalgo
Gloria Hidalgo marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Katie Adams
Katie Adams rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2013
Julia
Julia added it
Sep 07, 2013
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2013
Nschwart
Nschwart marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2012
Josh T
Josh T rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2012
Sarah rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2012
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2011