An Uplifting Murder (Josie, Marcus Mystery Shopper #6)

An Uplifting Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper #6)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  373 ratings  ·  45 reviews
On Josie's latest assignment, her former teacher-now working in a lingerie shop-is in need of some serious support when a customer is found murdered. Unfortunately, the teacher's alibi is flimsier than the camisoles she sells, so Josie will need to bust out her sleuthing skills to expose the real killer...
Published November 1st 2010 by New American Library (first published October 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about An Uplifting Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Uplifting Murder

bookczuk
When I lived in St Louis years ago, I knew Elaine Viets. I must confess that she probably wouldn't know me if she fell over me, though. but yes, I did know her. HEr writing career boomed at the St. Louis Post Dispatch, and then, probably 8 or 9 years after I left, she branched into television, then moved and became nationally syndicated (writing a column again), then fell off my radar.

I've seen books of a chick-lity flavored mystery with the author Elaine Viets, but didn't know for sure it was t...more
Melodie
This is the best in this series, so far, IMHO. Josie is out to prove her old high school gym teacher didn't murder the meanest girl Josie knew in school.
Jessica
My four-sentence or less take on the plot: Josie Marcus, a mystery shopper, is evaluating a lingerie chain, in which one of her old high school teachers now works. Of course, she is immediately embroiled into a murder investigation when she stumbles on a corpse in the toilet.

Rating: 3

What worked: Not much in my opinion. Even the characters are starting to get pretty repetitious. I like Viets Dead-end series much better.

What didn't: Look, I can suspend disbelief while reading a book. I can belie...more
Nora-adrienne
An Uplifting Murder
By: Elaine Viets
Copyright November 2010

When Josie is assigned to mystery shop a chain of lingerie stores it becomes old home week. The manager of the store is her old high school gym teacher Mrs. Hayes. Imagine her surprise and dismay when another person from her high school years shows up while she’s there to shop. It’s her old nemesis, the girl voted most likely to be hated.

The shocks keep coming when Josie, entering the ladies restroom finds her former nemesis dead in a to...more
Kari Wainwright
Josie Marcus, mystery shopper, becomes involved in a murder investigation when she discovers the body of a mean-spirited woman from her high-school days and a favorite teacher from that time is arrested for murder. I enjoyed reading about Josie as she follows her suspicions and copes with her daughter, mother, best friend and the fellow in her life. I don’t mind reading about loners, but dealing with a well-rounded, sometimes dysfunctional member of society is fun, too. Her cohorts give texture...more
Heather
Josie's latest mystery shopping assignment takes her to a lingerie store, where her former high school gym teacher, Laura, is working. When the mean-girl from Josie's high school days is found murdered in the bathroom, the prime suspect is her former teacher. Josie breaks out her mystery solving skills to prove Laura's innocence.

This is a light, entertaining read. There are several suspects for the murder, but Josie doesn't get into the sleuthing like she has with previous books. I felt like I w...more
Deborah
This latest in the Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper Series was an incredibly fun book for me to read. Given the opportunity to review the ARC was a boon. In this story, Josie is given the task of mystery shopping at a lingerie store which leads to murder. But by whom? The whys are many for this murder victim as she was still the same bully from high school that Josie remembers. The suspects are many, and the twists keep turning. There are new dynamics in Josie’s relationships that add more dimensio...more
Linda
Really enjoyable book. This one had a good mystery (especially the ending) and I enjoyed all the characters.
Karen
As always, Elaine Viets provided me with an entertaining, fun and thoughtful reading experience. This book is an entry in the Josie Marcus series. Josie is a mystery shopper, someone who is sent into a store, or stores, to ask certain questions of the staff, and/or to notice certain things about the store, while blending in so that she does not stand out and no one would suspect that she is rating the store. She then prepares a report and submits it to her employer who has been hired by someone...more
Caroline
Nov 29, 2010 Caroline rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes cozies
I really enjoy the Mystery Shopper series and this one was an excellent entry in the series. Josie and her family are lots of fun and people I'd like to know in real life. Elaine Viets does her homework on all her books and this one (hope I don't embarrass you!) made me decide to go somewhere for a fitting so I can get a "right-size" bra. LOL I'm glad her relationship with the vet is progressing nicely and was happy to see her mom finally stand up to the nosy neighbor! Haha!

I think everyone will...more
Darcy
This story was cute, Josie seemed to get a lot more jobs than normal and some really good perks with them.

I am getting a little tired of Josie and her issues with men. At some point she needs to realize not every man she meets is a scum bag. Ted really seems like a great guy.

The scenes with Amelia and Jane were fun. I loved how they cooked together and how they all were able to con Jane into taking the dog.

It seemed a little over the top that every place Josie went she knew someone.

But overall...more
Ed
#6 in the Mystery Shopper series is a so-so entry. Perhaps I don't understand the finer points involved in shopping for lingerie - so add a half star if you wear a bra.

Mystery Shopper series - "On Josie's latest assignment, her former teacher--now working in a lingerie shop--is in need of some serious support when a customer is found murdered. Unfortunately, the teacher's alibi is flimsier than the camisoles she sells, so Josie will need to bust out her sleuthing skills to expose the real killer...more
Andrea Hagadorn Barnett
great read! it was hard to put down. sure, I guessed who did it about half way thru the book but she adds so much to it, that its hard to be 100% sure.
Shelley Burgett
I enjoy this series. I have been a fan of Elaine Viets since she wrote a column for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch back when it was one of the best papers in the country. I lived in St. Louis for about five years and enjoy the references to the area and the life style. This was a good fast read with a satisfying conclusion. The regular characters are likable and the stories which are somewhat unlikely are entertaining. I am anxiously awaiting the next installment.
Linda
Another fun read from Elaine Viets. The continuing story of Josie Marcus. Her personal stories are actually more interesting to me than the murder story. I'm beginning to think, though, only incompetent investigators are in the cities her murders occur. They seem to not investigate, but just choose their best guess and Josie takes it on herself to find the killer. Granted, it's lightweight investigating, but fun.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
In my humble opinion, this is the best book yet in the series. Ms. Viets has truly captured her character's voices. They are credible and enjoyable as the interesting crime is solved.

The location and method of the murder was very original and caught my attention right off.

I look forward to the next book. Meanwhile there is her other excellent series "Dead End Jobs Mysteries." A new one out in June 2011.

Stacey
Definitely not my favorite of the series, but at the same time one of my favorite "scenes" was in this book. When Josie's mother, Jane, finally tells Mrs. Muller (who might possibly be the most annoying character in a mystery series ever). I'm bored by Josie and the Vet's relationship. An Uplifting Murder was by far the most predictable of the series so far.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Jan 14, 2011 Dee Renee Chesnut rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of cozy mysteries
Recommended to Dee Renee by: drchesnutwriter@hotmail.com
Shelves: 2011
This is another entertaining cozy mystery from Elaine Viets. I recommend the Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper series to those who enjoy series like this. I prefer to read her series instead of Stephanie Plum series by Jane Evanovich. Yes, it is a personal preference; but give this series a try and tell me which one you prefer.
This is a series book, it can be read alone but with difficulty & I don't recommend doing that. Premise sounded good - who doesn't feel awkward getting a bra fitted? The plot wasn't about bras but about "mean girls" syndrome. Not very entertaining or the authors best work. Felt like a publishing contract fulfillment book.
Sara Smith
Not as clean-cut as some of the other books in the series, which was good because it was less-obvious who the killer is at first read.
Teresa
I picked up the book because the author is local. The story was okay, but the dialogue was completely stilted and not any way that I've ever heard people have conversations. Characters are either black or white--no tan or gray. Meh.
Annice22
This could have been much better. I thought the main character's interaction with her family, friends, and boyfriend saved this book. Too bad, it couldn't help with Josie's mystery solving which was not very good in this one.
Jodi
This latest installment of Viets' Mystery Shopper series is a true gem. We have come to know the characters, and this book makes them even more real. A very nice read, keeps you wondering until the end.
Mary
The Josie Marcus series is always such great fun! I love the relationships that Josie has with all the other characters in her circle. I look forward to these books and am never disappointed.
Really enjoyed it. Seemed to have a more complicated plot that most of the books in the series. Definitely had me uncertain as to "who done it". Loving the additions of Harry, Stuart Little and Ted.
Sandy Holowach
Love this series, but found this installment to be a little ho-hum. Had a hard time getting into the story at the start but then couldn't put it down by the time I got to the last 8 chapters!
Kathleen
Easy to read, really enjoy this series overall, part way though it I realized that I wasn't reading it in series order but it didn't detract to much from the overall experience.
Christine Jensen
Cute book, I liked the characters, but won't go back and read the rest (this one gave me enough history). I will look for new installments in the series in the future.
Angela
Cute read. A tad predictable but I enjoy the series so that doesn't bother me very much. I am glad Josie didn't go through ANOTHER breakup. That was getting a bit old.
  • The Chocolate Moose Motive (A Chocoholic Mystery, #12)
  • Killer Cruise (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #8)
  • Shot Through Velvet (Crime of Fashion, #7)
  • The Diva Paints the Town (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #3)
  • Fonduing Fathers (A White House Chef Mystery, #6)
  • Dial Om for Murder (Mantra for Murder, #2)
  • Dirty Rotten Tendrils (A Flower Shop Mystery, #10)
  • Going, Going, Ganache (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • Black Beans and Vice (A Supper Club Mystery, #6)
262084
As a young girl, Elaine Viets was taught the virtues of South St. Louis: the importance of hard work, housecleaning, and paying cash. She managed to forget almost everything she learned, which is why she turned to mystery writing.

Living in South Florida has not improved her character. But it has given her the bestselling Dead-End Job series. Like her amateur detective, Helen Hawthorne, Elaine actu...more
More about Elaine Viets...
Shop Till You Drop (Dead-End Job Mystery, #1) Murder Between the Covers (Dead-End Job Mystery, #2) Dying in Style (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #1) Dying to Call You (Dead-End Job Mystery, #3) Just Murdered (Dead-End Job Mystery, #4)