Start by marking “Il congresso di futurologia” as Want to Read:
Il congresso di futurologia

Il congresso di futurologia (Ijon Tichy #3)

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,546 Ratings  ·  303 Reviews
Un celebre astronauta partecipa all'ottavo Congresso di Futurologia. Arena del congresso: un Hilton Hotel di dimensioni ciclopiche, in Costaricana. L'Hilton pullula di eventi, convention, simposi, mentre fuori, per le strade, impazza la rivoluzione. Sperduto fra le segretarie in topless del raduno degli Editori Liberati, morigerati Collezionisti di Fiammiferi, esimi psichi ...more
Paperback, Gli Alianti #106, 157 pages
Published November 21st 2003 by Marcos y Marcos (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Il congresso di futurologia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Il congresso di futurologia

Kasia
Dec 30, 2009 Kasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The Matrix, Brave New World, Stanisław Lem, and or Philip K. Dick fans
Recommended to Kasia by: Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
"Now to make it in the arts,
publicize your private parts!
Critics say you can't offend 'em
with your phallus or pudendum!"

That's the translation, the original version:
„Tylko głupiec i kanalia
lekceważy genitalia,
bo najbardziej jest dziś modne
reklamować części rodne!”

Do you like it? I find it hilarious, in both languages, and it's roughly the same.

WTF? You ask. Well, it's a slogan Lem made up for the use of this book, and I think it shows a little something about this guy.

But don't be mistaken,
H.M. Ada
Jul 22, 2016 H.M. Ada rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-sci-fi
Ok, so I don't want to give too much away here. This short book, almost a novella really, takes you on quite a ride, and I really enjoyed not knowing where it was going, so I'm not going to say too much about the plot. But basically it starts in one dystopian future, where the main character is at a convention about solving the world's many serious problems, and then it takes you to another, where all of those problems have been solved by technology - and pharmacology in particular.

This is refe
Jesse Campagna
Jun 24, 2007 Jesse Campagna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Maybe the most mind bending, and pain inducing books I've ever read. Also the most eye openning and refreshing. The book that both made me want to die and gave me reason to live.
Manny
Jan 10, 2009 Manny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Stanislaw Lem outdoes Philip K. Dick on the latter's home territory. If reading this doesn't make you doubt the solidity of the world for at least a moment or two, you are an enviably secure person. I'm afraid I still feel apprehensive any time I notice I'm inexplicably out of breath after taking an elevator. Luckily that doesn't happen very often.

0rkun
Jul 17, 2015 0rkun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kitabı puanlarken 5. yıldıza birkaç kez basıp o alanı genişletmeye çalışmış olabilirim ehue.

Senelerdir sahaf sahaf aradığım bir kitaptı. Sonunda Cem Yayınevi bir baskı yapmış, hemen edindim. Kitap bol yazım hatası içeriyor. Kapaktaki fikir de çok güzel ama o çizim gözlerimin kanamasına sebep oldu malesef. Olumsuz yorumlarım sadece kitabın fiziksel haliyle alaklı yani. Kitap hakkında geri kalan her şey mükemmel.

Kitap, ütopya görünümlü distopya konusuna el atmış. Gelecek tasvirleri konusunda düşü
Dina
Oct 02, 2007 Dina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one didn't excite me at all. The first part of the book is so muddled, it's hard to make heads or tails of. While I acknowledge this attempt to put in the reader in the shoes of the protagonist, I'm sure we would have got the message loud and clear without the 50ish pages of is-it-real-or-isn't-it "hallucinations". Yes, we get it, drug commentary, psychopharmacology, etc, etc. Move along. Lem's attempt to establish a dystopia struck me as one-dimensional and boring, focusing almost exclusiv ...more
Jose lana
Feb 16, 2016 Jose lana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This novel by Lem is a chapter of the astronaut IJon Tich memoirs series,it is with Ubik by Dick yet surpassing Dick(i dont know if there was some crossed influences between them) the most bizarre i have read,it is a hilarious,delirious,mind-blowing and outlandish nightmare.

Writen in 1970 in the LSD era,it has the bigger number of nested realities ever described.
After a satyrical and killing oneself laughing begining of a congress in order to foresse the future wold(with some ambiental concerns)
Michael
From the author of the brilliant and disturbing Solaris, this absurdist dystopian work is rife with black humor and wordplay. Although the trope on which the novel turns is the pharmacological management of a dismal future, one can easily see the novel as an ironic comment on current psychological and sociological uses of marketing "spin" to turn vast segments of the world's population into the mindless puppets who have given lemmings a bad name. Let me be clear that I am not just talking about ...more
Chris Kelly
Jul 19, 2011 Chris Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I can't remember which science fiction author made a statement that suggested that, while "outer" space offers a great deal of potential subject matter, it does not come close to the realm of "inner" space in terms of room for exploration. Lem has certainly taken that idea to heart with this short but powerful book.

The Futurological Congress is a first person account through the eyes of a recurring Lem character by the name of Ijon Tichy. The story begins in Costa Rica where a group of academics
Toby
Aug 29, 2008 Toby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 1971 offering from Polish author Stanislaw Lem mixes black humour, absurdism, and social satire brilliantly in a short novel that will make you laugh at times, and make you think always.
The Futurological Congress follows one of the adventures of character Ijon Tichy as he is caught up in a chemical attack. The book provides satire on both the social move towards a "chemically corrected society" where we use different drugs to fix any kind of problem we encounter, and a more subtle commenta
Pierre Menard
Nov 26, 2014 Pierre Menard rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Who hopes that just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down…
sologdin
Over-the-top satirical. The Matrix meets Brave New World. Lotsa inventiveness and humor. Part of a subgenre that includes Stand on Zanzibar, R. Scott, Bakker, and others, a fantasy of demographics, say.

The future imaginary of the setting’s updated Rip van Winkle dystopia offends narrator’s “esthetic sense as well as my attachment to the irretrievable past” (84). Very much a matter of solids melting into air, &c.

AI laborers fuck things up, but it is “no question of malice or premeditation on
Michael
Absurdist satire of humanity lurching toward pharmacological solutions toward the world's problems. Laugh out loud funny, with compressed touches of genius enough to supply a foundation of a slew of ordinary sci-fi dystopian novels. The play on words on every page somehow works great even in translation. Lem's astronaut Tichy attends the conference in Costa Rico, which is supposed to address on the first day the population crisis, global pollution, the food crisis, the energy crisis, etc, before ...more
Joshua
May 26, 2013 Joshua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
A very wild read. Multiple dystopian visions couched in nested hallucinations instigated by chemical warfare within another dystopia. The plot is fairly unsubstantial, but the book is short, so that's not really a problem. The story is really just Lem running wild with a thought experiment. I found it particularly fascinating to read having just finished Daniel Dennett's Consciousness Explained.

What is possibly most impressive is the translation. This book has a running theme about technical neo
Susan Budd
Jul 29, 2015 Susan Budd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A work of unique genius. The Futurological Congress is a brilliant combination of sci fi, philosophy, and comedy. The word-play is amazing. Lem writes like a dark Lewis Carroll.
Ami Iida
Nov 14, 2015 Ami Iida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
"The Futurological Congress
there are full of experimental thoughts and Hallucination in the world in it.
I enjoy to read it and thank you for introducing me it.

When I read it, there are full of science fiction's thoughts, topics, thought experiment in the book's
sentences.
my imagination activates many times.................
Oliver Twist & Shout
"Congreso de Futurología" vendría a dar la razón a esos puristas que antes despreciaban la ciencia ficción y la tachaban de literatura menor. El motivo principal es que la caracterización de los personajes es irrisiblemente plana, sin relieve ni aristas que los hagan interesantes. Se tratan de unos compañeros de viaje insípidos que difícilmente darán lugar a grandes acontecimientos.

La escritura de Lem es la típicamente cinematográfica y resulta monótona como si un pianista se empeñara en tocar
_inbetween_
Seem to have forgotten I never actually wrote down what I thought I had, which fits the book in a way. It starts out funny and fastpaced and only stopped be - early on and abruptly - when it became clear that even in this novel written in the 70s and a communist climate, there are NO female professors. All professors are male, all secretaries are female, so I guess all rape also only went one way. I made the mistake of trying to get the simple fact that even post Dick Dick and Asimov, in an age ...more
Sara
Oct 24, 2009 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book killed me: made me laugh much of the way through, and then smacked me in the face with its utterly bleak conclusion. I could compare it to a certain movie, but to do so would give it away.

It's better to compare it to Douglas Adams. "Congress" contains a sermon on the napkin, brought on by a drug that makes you "worship whatever happens to be at hand," products for sale that are allowed to shout, but prohibited from actually reaching out and grabbing you, and "macrotrashm" a new cosmogo
Eric
Jul 28, 2009 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
As I was reading it, I kept thinking it'd make a great movie. And it turns out that one is in the works, directed by the guy that directed Waltz with Bashir. Funny, I was also thinking that it should be a partly animated movie. Despite it having been written nearly 40 years ago in Iron Curtain Poland, it's still VERY applicable to today. My only disappointment was the ending... but considering where and when it was written, there probably wasn't any other choice for the author.

I'm definitely goi
Sheila López
Feb 07, 2016 Sheila López rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
¡Idílico, increíble!

¡Vaya con la invencible inventiva humana!

Un conocido me había hablado muy bien de este libro; además tenía alguna referencia por la adaptación de la película “The Congress” (poco tiene que ver). Así que por fin lo empecé y… ¡Qué grata sorpresa!

¡Es un libro corto, pero que con sus escasas 100 páginas da más de que hablar que muchos otros con 1000! Podrías ir desmenuzándolo párrafo a párrafo y te podría dar para un ensayo filosófico. Y es que Lem nos plantea un futuro distópic
Mark Hodder
I rate Stanislaw Lem as I rate Philip K. Dick, which is to say, very highly indeed. I recently read that his work is being newly translated, these editions being far superior to the ones I owned in my youth. However, I’m on a mission to rebuild the collection I had back then, so restricted myself to this 1974 copy, which adorned my shelves too many decades ago. In THE FUTUROLOGICAL CONGRESS, Lem immediately plunges the reader into a world of overcrowding, sexual excess, and terrorism, where a ha ...more
Desinka
I'm glad I had a look into a crzy genius' head but it was a bit too long and I wasn't impressed with the picture inside.
Steve
Jan 22, 2015 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a book that's almost 50 years old, it still feels fresh and funny. For instance

"Really," I thought, "we have too many of these eye-opening enthusiasts."

could equally apply to your Twitter timeline today.

The translation to English was excellent, even with all the made-up words and clever turns of phrase, it never felt awkward to read.

(view spoiler)
Jacob
Apr 15, 2016 Jacob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is basically what would happen if Philip K. Dick decided to smack around Edward Bellamy's Looking Backward. Complete with future jumping, the book spends it's first half setting the stage of modern chaos and then after some futurological meddling transported to this nouveau utopia complete with excess, equality, and perhaps more importantly robots (in theory).

It is however important to note that this setting always remains only that. The book itself is played off as a diary so you are
Ronald
Sep 06, 2014 Ronald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I write this review shortly after seeing the movie The Congress, which is an adaptation of Lem's book _The Futurological Congress_. I advise to skip the movie. The movie has a much different (and inferior) plot than the novel. The movie only had three or four things from the book. Soon after the movie ended, I sensed disappointment in the other movie goers and I actually told some of them that the book is different and much better.

This book is like a Philip K. Dick novel is highly wacky mode. It
Katherine
Sep 29, 2008 Katherine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who would like to expand their science fiction libraries
Recommended to Katherine by: Husband
Shelves: dystopian
I need to start out by saying that I am not as well read in Science Fiction as I am in other genres.

Stanislaw Lem writes with a style that is inaccessible for me, but I could see as being accessible for other people. This book, published in 1971, was too psychedelic for me and consisted of too many sexual themes. Upon coming to the conclusion of the book, I was disappointed not with the ending but that the ultimate message of the book was such a great message that I wish it had been told in a di
Biblibio
While I enjoyed reading The Futurological Congress throughout, its shine has diminished somewhat in recent weeks (unlike the opposite effect I had with Lem's significantly superior Solaris). The book is best classified as a mind-f[...], if only because that's the plot of the book. Toss in the fact that the book constantly teases and baffles the reader and... well. Mind-f[...] it is.

There is some dark humor in The Futoroglical Congress. Scenes like the moment Tichy realizes the extent of his high
Herman Gigglethorpe
This short novel is a gem that all fans of dystopian stories should read. Ijon Tichy is a recurring character in Stanislaw Lem's works who is caught in a terrorist attack on the hotel where scientists are trying to figure out how to solve future overpopulation issues. There's a chemical in the water that makes the victim become altruistic to the point of feeling suicidal because of previous sins.

After many funny hallucinations, Tichy has to have his brain placed into another body and be cryogen
Mariana
The Futurological Congress by Stanislaw Lem feels like a dream. A really bizarre one, you know? One where you find yourself falling off a cliff for some crazy reason, only to be saved by praying mantises on flying scooters?

Like that, but ten times weirder.

Full review Joie des Livres
  • W kraju niewiernych
  • Paradyzja
  • The Ugly Swans
  • Gniazdo światów
  • Robot
  • War with the Newts
Stanisław Lem (staˈɲiswaf lɛm) was a Polish science fiction, philosophical and satirical writer of Jewish descent. His books have been translated into 41 languages and have sold over 27 million copies. He is perhaps best known as the author of Solaris, which has twice been made into a feature film. In 1976, Theodore Sturgeon claimed that Lem was the most widely read science-fiction writer in the w ...more
More about Stanisław Lem...

Ijon Tichy (5 books)
  • The Star Diaries: Further Reminiscences of Ijon Tichy
  • Memoirs of a Space Traveler: Further Reminiscences of Ijon Tichy
  • Peace on Earth
  • Wizja Lokalna

“She was beautiful all right, beautiful in a way that was at once seductive, demonic, and raspberry.” 7 likes
“Books are no longer read but eaten, not made of paper but of some informational substance, fully digestible, sugar-coated.” 5 likes