Start by marking “The Cowboy and His Elephant: The Story of a Remarkable Friendship” as Want to Read:
The Cowboy and His Elephant: The Story of a Remarkable Friendship

The Cowboy and His Elephant: The Story of a Remarkable Friendship

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  301 ratings  ·  52 reviews
In the late 1980s, a female baby elephant was born into a herd that lived on the plains of southern Africa. Her mother has carried her for two years, and normally she would have nursed her for five more. But the close-knit family of wild elephants was to face a predator for which it was no match--humans. In a "cull," her family was slaughtered in a few moments. Only the ne ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published May 9th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Cowboy and His Elephant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cowboy and His Elephant

Lindsay
I read came upon this book recently after having gotten in touch with an old boyfriend from high school (via Facebook). I was particularly interested in reading this story because, as it turns out, I have been to this ranch.
While visitng the said boyfriend, Bobby, in Littleton, CO, his mom, little brother and sister and I all drove down to Colorado Springs one day to spend an afternoon walking around this beautiful ranch with this wonderful man named Bob Norris. Bob, it turns out, is or was, th
Judy
Sep 06, 2012 Judy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kimberly, Jaxnsmom, Amanda, Snoozie Suzie, Lisa
The first two chapters of this book lumber along while they provide necessary background for both Bob Norris, the Marlboro Man, and Amy the elephant. After that, the book takes off like a quarter horse on Bob's ranch. The story is a fun blend of the charm of the devotion that existed between Amy and Bob, knowledge of what it takes to raise an elephant, amazement at Amy's intelligence, Bob's stubbornness and the blow of the reality of an aging individual raising a 2000-plus elephant.

I experienced
Pamela
Remarkable and enthralling - “The Cowboy and His Elephant” – the true story of Bob Norris, American rancher, and his fate-generated friendship with Amy, the African elephant. I’m so delighted to have come across this book! Bob’s life-story, in and of itself, makes for a fascinating read; how many ranchers can say they were, by happenstance, The Marlboro Man of rough and rugged fame? Add Amy’s back-story of how she came to be saved from the heart-breaking cull, along with elephant studies and lor ...more
Beth
This is the true, heartwarming story of Bob Norris, Colorado rancher and Marlboro Man, who adopts (and falls in love with) a newborn African elephant named Amy. Amy has been traumatized by watching her entire family slaughtered in Africa. Bob, who's empathy for animals overwhelms his other emotions, is determined to help her overcome her sadness and distrust of humans. Using gentle training and perseverance, Bob helps Amy develop into the sweet, lovable, mischievous elephant she was meant to be. ...more
Melissa Martin
I loved this book for the simple fact that this man, "The Marlboro Man" bought this elephant baby who's family was killed in a freaking cull in Africa. A man came along and wanted to rent some of his barn space for some baby elephants the was selling to circuses etc. Amy was a runt and being picked on by the other babies. He saw that she was very depressed and just couldn't let her go being afraid for her. They formed a wonderful bond until she was too old and had to find another home.

Now let m
Sheri Struk
Michelle
A sweet biography about a cowboy (specifically the Marlboro Man) who adopts an orphaned African elephant named Amy. Amy's antics made me chuckle and the strength of the relationship between the cowboy and the elephant made me tear up a bit.
Pamela Pickering
Elephants may be quickly replacing dolphins as my favorite mammal (besides dogs of course). How do I rate this? The writing was very simple (in fact, I would recommend this to my 11 year old niece) so I can't really give it 5 stars but the story was so heartwarming. There aren't many books out there that can make me laugh and cry. I learned I couldn't read this before work because I would have to redo my eye makeup. I fell so in love with Amy and Bob's affection for her was remarkable. One of th ...more
Kellie
What a wonderful book! This is a story of Amy, an African elephant who loses her herd in an African cull. This is also a story of Bob Norris, the cowboy. He is also known as the Marlboro Man. After Amy is shipped to the US, her owner asks Bob if he can rent 5 stalls for the baby elephants. Bob agrees. And thus begins a remarkable friendship between Bob and Amy. Bob ends up buying Amy and their relationship blooms. As time goes by, Amy becomes too big for her surroundings and ends up the star per ...more
Kelsie
oh, I was so disappointed with this book....I was looking for another "Marley and Me" experience and although this story had the ability to tug the heart strings,it didn't.
Bob the honest to god Marlboro Man had a nice ranch, and one day got a request to rent stalls to a man to house his baby elephants. Bob agrees and eventually comes to love one in particular, Amy, who he adopts and raises. Unfortunately, Amy grows quite large and needs to be relocated. Obviously, for us animal lovers, you can
Peg
Unusual and interesting. The story of the Marlboro Man and his pet elephant. Really enjoyed this book.
Tifnie
I have to say, I love getting books from second hand stores - I don't think I would have found this book otherwise.

The Cowboy and His Elephant is about Bob Norris, the original Marlboro Man, a born cowboy who befriends an elephant that was recued from Africa after her entire family was killed. Amy, a 2+ year old elephant is the runt of the rscued elephants and the last to be sold. For $16,000 Bob buys her and quickly developes a unique bond.

This is their story of that friendship and the journey
Michele
If you like true stories about elephants, this is a good read. It's not as good a book as Modoc or even Water for Elephants, but it gives another perspective of how much work and care is involved in owning an elephant. One of the biggest surprises is revealing how "circus people" feel about circus protestors, particularly those who protest having elephants at a circus. It seems to me that the majority of circus people who own elephants care for them more than their human family.
Barbara
I thought this was a nice true story about fate and the relationships between people and animals. Bob Norris is a very interesting man - the former Marlboro Man - and this is really a heartwarming tale of how he came to be friends with a baby elephant, Amy, saved from the cull in Africa. Bob was a larger than life rancher, businessman, and this made for a good read. Anyone who's an animal lover would enjoy!
Helen
This is a moving story about the relationship between an african elephant who survived the slaughter of her troop and the American cowboy who adopted her. It's a story about survival against great odds. And a story about fortitude, adaptability, and ingenuity. We learn a great deal about what kind of beings elephants are and what kind of environment they need to survive and thrive. And it is beautifully written.
Karin
This truly is a remarkable story. A baby elephant whose mother was slaughtered by poachers for ivory,shipped to America for sale as who knows what, bought out of pitty by a rancher that had been THE Marlboro Man, saved from dying, and was raised to be a friendly companion to Bob, the owner of the T Cross ranch just south of Colorado Springs gives the basis of this fascinating book. A must read to find the ending!
Valerie Yoh
For anyone that's an animal lover, this is a must read. It's an endearing and well-written story an accidental relationship that develops between a Colorado cowboy and an saved from a cull in western Africa.

I didn't realized how incredibly intelligent and well-developed the personality of elephants are. The next time I'm at the zoo, I will stop and think more when I pass the elephants.
Carol
I am a sucker for any book that involves elephnats and people. This is one of a deep friendship between the elephant(Amy) and Bob Norris. He had to gain her trust, before she was so afraid of humans. The book shows some of the ways that circus mistreat elephants. My heart broke when Amy could no longer live with Bob. Elephants are intelligent but they also have great big hearts.
Jo
Biographical. True story about a cowboy and an elephant he adopts - their relationship and gives good information about elephants. I enjoyed the story and look at elephants differently now.

I just noticed that Malcolm MacPherson has written another book about
Afghanistan. Think I'll read it. He is a good writer/reporter. It's called Robert's Ridge.
Brittany
Jul 28, 2007 Brittany rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: elephant enthusiasts
Shelves: sciencewriting
This book isn't that well written. There is absolutely no reason I should have found myself with tears dripping off my nose three times while reading it, but I did. It's an adorable story and elephants are wonderful creatures. I love reading about them, even when the journalist who wrote the book was clearly a little uncomfortable with his subject matter.
Michael
What a nice book. It was a pleasure to read such a kind and uplifting story. Made me feel better about the world. I cannot say enough positive things. Brief synopsis: True story. A rancher in Colorado adopts a baby elephant that was the only survivor of a "cull" in Africa. (Its herd was killed off). He raises the elephant on his ranch in Colorado.
Oh, my. I needed a box of Kleenex for this one. A great true story about a Texas cowboy who adopts a baby elephant. This isn't a just-the-nice-parts story. It's a story that includes the pros and cons of taking on an exotic animal who becomes a beloved pet and part of the family. Reallllly good.
Therese
Nov 28, 2007 Therese rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a heart
I am a softie for animals. This book was very well written,and I learned a lot about elephants. Heartwarming, endearing without being sappy and informative. A book for children and adults, a wonderful story of a wonderful animal and his human, Bob. A book to read by the fire this winter!
Vicki
A lovely book about the bond between The Marlboro Man (in the cigarette commercials) and an adopted baby elephant who came into his life, grew up but had to leave for greener pastures because she got too large for the dwelling. An elephant never forgets, and neither did the cowboy!
Pamela ciccolini
After reading "Water for Elephants" and "Modoc" I became greatly intrigued with elephants. This is another true story regarding an elephant Amy and her capture and then life in the USA. Again the intelligence and devotion of this great species touched my heart.
Read it in one night~!!
Katherine
I really loved this book and I think anyone looking for an inspiration story that is an easy page turned would enjoy it. It was an eye opening book too. And yes, because there was a cowboy AND an elephant (my favorite) in it I might have liked it more than the average joe...
Leandra
So I think this was written on a fourth grade level with poor plot growth and no timing except that he tells you "a year later...". A very good story, but I'm not sure I would recommend it to an adult who didn't have young children.
Cathy
I loved this book! A man not for a challenge finds himself attracted to an elephant . He helps her thru her adjustments and the tail of a salty old character with big heart is born . Would love to meet this man!
Sonya Huser
duplicate entries 1 2 Sep 24, 2014 05:26AM
  • Elephant Memories: Thirteen Years in the Life of an Elephant Family
  • Blind Hope: An Unwanted Dog and the Woman She Rescued
  • The Parrot Who Thought She Was a Dog
  • The Elephant's Secret Sense: The Hidden Life of the Wild Herds of Africa
  • The Parrot Who Owns Me: The Story of a Relationship
  • Zamba: The True Story of the Greatest Lion That Ever Lived
  • Winging It: A Memoir of Caring for a Vengeful Parrot Who's Determined to Kill Me
  • A Snowflake in My Hand
  • The Wilderness Family: At Home with Africa's Wildlife
  • DogTown: Tales of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Redemption
  • All My Patients Kick and Bite: More Favorite Stories from a Vet's Practice
  • Soul of a Lion: One Woman's Quest to Rescue Africa's Wildlife Refugees
  • Sophie: Dog Overboard
  • Falling for Eli: How I Lost Heart, Then Gained Hope Through the Love of a Singular Horse
  • Paw Tracks at Owl Cottage
  • The Good Good Pig: The Extraordinary Life of Christopher Hogwood
  • No Dogs in Heaven?: Scenes from the Life of a Country Veterinarian
  • The Odyssey of KP2: An Orphan Seal, a Marine Biologist, and the Fight to Save a Species
197451
Malcolm Cook MacPherson was an American national and foreign correspondent for Newsweek magazine and the author of numerous fiction and nonfiction books.
More about Malcolm MacPherson...
Roberts Ridge: A Story of Courage and Sacrifice on Takur Ghar Mountain, Afghanistan The Black Box: All-New Cockpit Voice Recorder Accounts Of In-flight Accidents Air Disasters:Dramatic Black Box Flight Recordings On a Wing and a Prayer: Interviews with Airline Disaster Survivors Hocus POTUS