Start by marking “Departures: Two Rediscovered Stories of Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen” as Want to Read:
Departures: Two Rediscovered Stories of Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen

Departures: Two Rediscovered Stories of Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen (Christy Miller)

Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen cross paths on their way to summer vacations that reveal what a gift it is to have a true Forever Friend.

Now Boarding at Gate 10
Published May 3rd 2011 by Multnomah (first published October 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Departures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Departures

Carmen
Jun 29, 2014 Carmen rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Well, that was big waste of time.

NOVELLA 1: NOW BOARDING AT GATE 10
Post-break-up with Todd, Christy Miller travels back 'home' to the North Woods of Wisconsin for her grandparents' 50th anniversary party. There, she reconnects with her childhood crush, Matthew. I'm telling you, for a Christian girl who didn't start dating 'til she was 16, and never moves past “light kissing,” Christy has had more boyfriends in her high school years than anyone I've ever known. o.O Boys just pop up out of the woo
Emily Rachelle
Apr 16, 2012 Emily Rachelle rated it really liked it
The book is actually two short stories that go with her Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen series. Since they are two separate stories, I'm going to write a mini review for each story.
The first is "Now Boarding at Gate 10," starring Christy Miller. She's headed to Wisconsin on a family vacation, to celebrate her grandparents' fiftieth anniversary. What she doesn't expect is the possiblity of a romance with her junior high crush.
While the story was as well-written as all the Christy Miller books, I
Amanda
Jun 25, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it
Departures contains two stories from Robin Jones Gunn’s popular series. Now Boarding at Gate 10 finds Christy Miller after high school graduation, on a family trip to Wisconsin. In the Event of a Water Landing is part of the Sierra Jensen series.

I had never read anything by Gunn and did not realize that these stories were part of a series. Someone who has read the other books would probably like this one. I don’t like to read books out of order, but with some books, you can do that and still hav
Lena Morrison
Pamela Hubbard
This was a pretty dull, predicable book. I picked it up because I love Gunn's writing and I have read both the Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen series. I don't know if it's because these were "novellas" that some of the storylines seemed rushed and unrealistic, but I had a hard time really immersing myself in the stories. The characters were consistent with how they were in the series, and it was fun to read about them again, but the stories were just missing something.
In the Christy Miller po
Maria
May 22, 2011 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love young adult books. For me, short stories aren't favorites of mine. I am always left feeling as if things were just dropped and left. It always feels so unfinished to me. I really enjoyed the first story of Christy returning to her home town for her grandparents anniversary after high school graduation. When she returns she is told that her first crush, Matt is looking to call on her. Is it possible to have a new beginning with her first crush? Is he even interested? I thought the author d ...more
Jun 10, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
I bought this book off amazon years ago and finally read it. I loved the extra stories about Christy and Sierra and about died when they saw each other at the airport but didn't know one another yet!
Sheri
Jun 15, 2011 Sheri rated it really liked it
So what's it about? Well if you are like most Christian homeschooling Mom's you likely already know all about Christy Miller and her friends. If you don't (and if you have a pre-teen/teenage daughter) you are missing out. The series of books that include Christy Miller are written by Robin Jones Gunn (you may know her from Sisterchick fame), and are about a young girl and her friends coming of age. The books begin when Christy is around 14 and stay with her through college and into marriage. The ...more
Maureen Timerman
May 02, 2011 Maureen Timerman rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-read

Now Boarding at Gate 10
After her high school graduation, still aching from Todd’s departure, Christy joins her family on a trip to Wisconsin to visit relatives. While there, she reunites with Matthew, an old friend from junior high. When Matthew starts to show a romantic interest in Christy, she realizes this summer vacation could change everything she thought
Courtney
Apr 27, 2011 Courtney rated it really liked it
Departures contains two very short novellas about two girls that Robin has other books about. The first part of the book is called Now Boarding at Gate 10, is about Christy. She flies to previous home tome in Wisconsin to celebrate her grandparent’s 50th wedding anniversary. While she is there she meets up with her elementary crush Matthew and he takes her on a tour of her past. Christy spends a lot of time reflecting on her personal relationships, her future and relationship with God.

The second
Michelle
Apr 26, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Ten years ago I read the Christy Miller series of books by Robin Jones Gunn, after a good friend recommended them for their spiritual application. Spiritual? A set of teen books? Usually these things are all fluff--which girl likes which boy, blah blah blah. Yes, there is some of that here. HOWEVER, I had clearly underestimated Ms. Gunn. Not only are the spiritual applications there, the characters also seem so real--as in, they go through challenges, have ups and downs, pray and try to let God ...more
Chris Curtis
Apr 20, 2011 Chris Curtis rated it really liked it
This book contains two novellas featuring Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen. In Now Boarding at Gate 10 Christy and her famliy travel to Wisconsin to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of her grandparents. Christy has broken up with her boyfriend Todd and her heart is still sad over the decision. In Wisconsin she reconnects with Matthew, a friend she grew up with and had a crush on. Christy reflects on relationships through watching her parents, grandparentsand what she has learned about God.

In the
Jill Williamson
Dec 03, 2011 Jill Williamson rated it really liked it
Now Boarding at Gate 10- a Christy Miller novella
Having just graduated high school, Christy goes back to Wisconsin with her family to visit relatives. There she reunites with Matthew, a boy she once had a huge crush on. Now that Todd is gone, could Christy start over with someone like Matthew? What if someone else was interested long before Christy came to visit?

In the Event of a Water Landing- a Sierra Jensen novella
Sierra heads off to a lake in Montana for a vacation with her friend Jana and J
Trinity Rose
May 07, 2011 Trinity Rose rated it really liked it
Departures by Robin Jones Gunn is two different stories that were written years ago and Robin and her agent decided to publish them again. I’m very glad they did because these two stories, one about Christy Miller and the other about Sierra Jensen are really fantastic stories. I’ve never read Robin’s books about Christy or Sierra, but have heard many good things about them.
I like that in this book at one point both Christy and Sierra are in the same scene, but don’t talk or become friends. That
Tessa Hall
May 19, 2011 Tessa Hall rated it really liked it
Departures contains two novellas about the adventures that Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen go on during one of their summers. Since I’ve read all of the books in the Christy Miller series, I was really able to enjoy and connect with that story more than the Sierra Jensen one. One of the many reasons I continue to read Robin Jones Gunn’s books is because she provides such spiritual refreshment and creates characters that can relate to teen girls, no matter the generation. Although it does seem t ...more
Anastacia
This was a young adult book that included two longer short stories about two very separate young teenage girls. I have never read a book by this author but I had no problem jumping into either short story. I greatly enjoyed the first one about Christy Miller, but did not enjoy the second story at all. About 70 pages into the second story, all of a sudden the main character, Sierra, starts talking about God & religion & that felt very fake to me. Why did 70 pages pass before the first men ...more
Ashley
May 20, 2011 Ashley rated it really liked it

This was a very cute story. I haven't read any of the Christy Miller or Sierra Jensen books before this. I thought it was going to be a novel but it's really two novellas. The stories were very cute, for the 18 and under age group. I always like books where two stories collide. When you can find characters from a series in the authors new books. It always makes me smile. My favorite of the two stories would have to be the Christy Miller story, Now Boarding at Gate 10. It was very cute. I was hop
Norma
Oct 31, 2011 Norma rated it it was ok
This book has two short stories in it that are part of a much larger series. They are ok reads on their own, but there is a lot of back story that I was missing out on.

I did enjoy the book. But I felt that I would have enjoyed it much more if I would have read the entire series.

I don’t think I will be going back to read the earlier books, because I didn’t enjoy it that much.

It didn’t have that same grip over me that many other books have. I think it is because they were short stories and it was
Desiree Depinet
Apr 30, 2011 Desiree Depinet rated it it was ok
Before I share my review of this book, I must say the following;I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

This book was comprised of two short stories about Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen. The stories were definiely aimed at teenage girls. I think I would have enjoyed the stories better if I had read the series the author had written about each of the characters. It was hard to connect with the characters because it was assumed the reader had alre
Michele Minor
Jan 07, 2010 Michele Minor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of three novellas by the two authors starring the main characters from each of their series for teenagers. The three novellas each deal with travelling and going on vacation. Each of the girls learn a valuable lesson while on vacation in their various places. Though with Robin Jones Gunn's two novellas both Sierra Jensen and Christy Miller make an appearance in each other's book though you will need to look closely to find it.
Stacy
May 23, 2011 Stacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: firstreads
I received this book through the FirstReads giveaway. Departures is 2 stories in one book. In the first story, Christy Miller goes back to her hometown and reconnects with Matthew, and old friend. In the second story, Sierra Jensen goes on a weekend vacation to Montana with her friend Jana and Jana's family. This book is geared toward teenagers and would make a great summer read. I really enjoyed it. The plot flowed at a good pace, and the characters were very relatable.
Krystal
Apr 28, 2009 Krystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-books
This was a book composed of three shorter stories. I really love Robin Jones Gunn and her series, but this book wasn't super - the short stories didn't really add to the overall series. The third story and author was one I had never heard of before.
Shannon Baas
Apr 01, 2011 Shannon Baas rated it really liked it
Great young adult book. It describes 2 young ladies who are Christians and their first crushes and romances. They cross paths in the airport but don't realize it. Takes place over the 4th of July. I would recommend this.
Amanda
Apr 30, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: own, first-read-books
I won this book as a goodreads giveaway. This is a book with 2 novellas about to high school girls trying to find there way into the dating world. I think this would be a good read for any girl in high school trying to find where she belongs. This is a very fast read.
Ashley Townsend
Aug 22, 2012 Ashley Townsend rated it really liked it
This actually got me started on the Cooper Ellis series, which is really great for teens. A little more like the Sierra Jensen series rather than the Christy Miller series, which I was fond of.
Caitlin
Apr 30, 2011 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a goodreads contest. I'm very happy to have won this book. I can't wait to read it. It looks very fun and interesting.
Ilelosa
It was so interesting how Christy and Sierra were in the same place some time before they actually met. Very creative story series structure.
Kerith
Jul 26, 2011 Kerith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Worth a read if you are a fan of the Christy Miller/Sierra Jensen books -- fills in holes for Christy and gives you a bit of earlier history on Sierra. Otherwise it's just okay.
Shmuzzie
Feb 15, 2013 Shmuzzie rated it it was amazing
This book is really funny! I've read it several times before, and I stil love it!
Bill Tillman
Two great short stories 'novellas', well worth reading for any young person from middle grade on up.
  • A Not-So-Simple Life (Diary of a Teenage Diary: Maya, #1)
  • A Ranger's Trail (Texas Trails, #4)
  • Bold Beauty (Winnie the Horse Gentler, #3)
  • Beautiful
  • Behold the Dawn
  • Dry as Rain
  • Awakening Mercy
  • When Camels Fly
  • The Winds of Sonoma (Regalo Grande #1)
  • From the Ashes (Jennie McGrady Mysteries, #10)
  • Holly's Heart, Collection 2: Second-Best Friend/Good-Bye, Dressel Hills/Straight-A Teacher/No Guys Pact/Little White Lies (Holly's Heart, #6-10)
  • So Over My Head (The Charmed Life, #3)
  • Shoot the Wounded (Wounded, #1)
41954
ROBIN JONES GUNN is the much loved author of over 90 books with more than 5 million copies of her titles sold worldwide. Her Father Christmas books are a Hallmark Original movie. Her popular Christy Miller series now continues in Christy & Todd: The Married Years. Robin's novels and non-fiction works have received multiple awards and are a favorite with book clubs and study groups. Robin and h ...more
More about Robin Jones Gunn...

Christy Miller (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Summer Promise (Christy Miller, #1)
  • A Whisper and a Wish (Christy Miller, #2)
  • Yours Forever (Christy Miller, #3)
  • Surprise Endings (Christy Miller, #4)
  • Island Dreamer (Christy Miller, #5)
  • A Heart Full of Hope (Christy Miller, #6)
  • True Friends (Christy Miller, #7)
  • Starry Night (Christy Miller, #8)
  • Seventeen Wishes (Christy Miller, #9)
  • A Time to Cherish (Christy Miller, #10)