Start by marking “Honeyed Words” as Want to Read:
Honeyed Words

Honeyed Words (Sarah Beauhall #2)

Sarah Beauhall is a blacksmith, has a night job as a props manager for a low-budget movie, and spends her free time fighting in a medieval re-enactment group. Her world falls apart when she discovers that dragons are real and live among us as shapeshifters; in fact, it is they who have been the secret masters of our world from time immemorial. On top of all this, it appear ...more
Published July 5th 2011 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Honeyed Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honeyed Words

Kaje Harper
Sep 09, 2011 Kaje Harper rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book is the sequel to Black Blade Blues and continues the urban fantasy adventures of Sarah Beauhall, blacksmith, lesbian, and repairer of an ancient sword... The series has some unique aspects, and there were things I definitely liked about the first book. For instance, I appreciated the fact that people got hurt and even killed battling the dragon (as opposed to the usual all-the-good-guys-survive.) Sarah is a great character and the segments which are narrated in her first person POV are ...more
Kelly
May 18, 2011 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few months ago, blacksmith Sarah Beauhall reforged the legendary Norse sword Gram, attracting the attention of a number of supernatural beings that wanted the sword for themselves. This culminated in an epic battle, in which Sarah and her valiant SCAdian friends defeated a dragon but suffered tragic losses. Honeyed Words, the second in J.A. Pitts’ Black Blade series, continues Sarah’s story.

From the perspective of character development, Honeyed Words is terrific. Sarah has always had avoidant
Rich
Aug 01, 2013 Rich rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Chicks with Swords
Recommended to Rich by: Goodreads Readers
I didn't like Honeyed Words as much as I liked "Black Blade Blues", but I really can't put my finger on the precise reason as to why. I didn't not like it, but it just didn't grab in the same way as did "Blues".

Likes

I still like Sarah, our hero. She's hell on wheels with blade or forge hammer.

Dragons still eat people. Can't have dragons if they're not eating anyone.

There was plenty of action, and people still get munched, crunched and mauled.

Bub

Don't Likes

Now that Sarah's kind of
Chris
Nov 25, 2012 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A disappointing sequel to Black Blade Blues. Don't get me wrong, because it is okay, and I will probably read the next in the series eventually. But the plotting was much weaker than the other book. There are a number of instances where the author violates Chekhov's rule of "don't have a gun in act one unless you use it by act 3." Too many things get introduced with no payoff later. There are a number of subplots with the main plot only slightly more important than the side plots. All of those t ...more
Nonny
Sep 20, 2011 Nonny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honeyed Words is the sequel to Black Blade Blues. I enjoyed this quite a lot more than the first book. While I had been interested by the characters and the setting, I was put off the first book by Sarah's internal conflicts. As a queer woman, I really don't want to read about characters who hate themselves because they're gay.

Sarah has, thankfully, gotten over those issues. Honeyed Words was blessedly free of the self-hate, and although she still has things that she is working through, includin
Stacy
Mar 02, 2011 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed by http://urbanfantasyinvestigations.blo...

I gave it 3.5 stars

Sarah is learning to deal with her self a little better in HONEYED WORDS, she is finally accepting who and what she is which makes a lot of things run a little smoother. She still seems to have a lot to learn about herself and her new life but she is trucking along the best she can. There are some interesting characters and situations added to her story as she fights some new bad guys. People she cares about are once again in
Jan
May 25, 2017 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm enjoying this series. Have the 3rd one on order. Enjoying the contrivances to keep me reading.
Kellee
Mar 22, 2017 Kellee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, queer, fantasy
so much better than the first one! this book is not bogged down by the "gay shame" after school special subplot that was so frustrating in the first book. thks book delivered what I was looking for: a kickass dragon fighting blacksmith SCAdian lesbian dealing with a world exploding in Norse myth.

glad I gave this series a second try.
Amy
The Black Blade Blues series continues, but not without some problems, both for Sarah, the warrior dragon-fighting blacksmith of Seattle, and the book itself. It suffers a bit of middle-book syndrome, combined with some editing problems. It wasn't the fun read the first had been, and I sort of slogged through because I've been promised that the next book is really good. It is because I still want to read the next book in the series that I bumped this one up to the 3 star level. Otherwise it woul ...more
Laila
Mar 03, 2015 Laila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the series, I find it much better than the first.

The ratio of show vs tell I disliked in the first book was improved and my major gripe with civilians behaving in a decidedly non-civilian manner on a battlefield was absent here.

It starts off a bit slow, but picks up after Anezka and Bub make an appearance. Otherwise, the pacing is still good, though bigger fight scenes still feel a bit clogged up with details from everything that's going on simultaneously. Smalles skirmish
Per Gunnar
This is another one of those books that I have read because I am stubborn and do not really want to let go of a book series that I have started even though I might not be overly thrilled about it. I was certainly not overly thrilled about the first book in this book series. The part that put me off the most with that book was Sarah’s constant whining and inner conflict about being lesbian. Luckily she has gotten over that in this book and this is the main reason why I thought this book was margi ...more
Nancy
Oct 24, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this year's Spectrum Awards winner for Best Novel, we rejoin Sarah and her partner Katie as life settles down after the aftermath of battle. However, dark forces never rest: the dragon-ruler of Portland is still scheming, while a secret cabal of dwarves is working on a powerful blood-potion for the mysterious King of Vancouver. In this exciting sequel to Black Blade Blues (2011 Spectrum Awards Short List), we learn more about the power-hungry dragons, and meet elves with questionable motives, ...more
Jillian
Aug 30, 2013 Jillian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt
Sarah Beauhall, the drunken lesbian blacksmith with super Nordic deity powers, is back! Honeyed Words is the second installation of J.A. Pitts’s Beauhall series, and it comes with more punch than the first. We rejoin Sarah Beauhall, her girlfriend Katie, and Qindra the dragon-serving witch–along with a host of new characters–five months after the end of Black Blade Blues. Beauhall is busy hammering out her guilt from the reign of destruction she brought down on her friends in the form of Jean-Pa ...more
Chade66
Fantasy Literature

Leilani
Jun 26, 2012 Leilani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Not a perfect book, but a very enjoyable one. Sarah Beauhall remains an immensely appealing main character - still struggling with a few insecurities and family issues, but becoming more confident, and learning to handle her anger better, and always trying to do the right thing.

This 2nd in the series follows the main characters as they're trying to learn to live with the after-effects of the major battle at the end of the first book, and I enjoy seeing that the author doesn't just move them rig
Wildwood
Honeyed Words had potential and then it landed flat on its face in the mud. What I wanted was the story that was described on the back cover, and I received that for at least the first chapter. From there, everything was random events that left me question the purpose/story. At 130 pages in, I’m still actually waiting for the story to begin. At this point, I won’t be reading any further until I have time to slug through the other of the book.

The writing is well done. The world that was created
Kim
Nov 05, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again I really enjoyed the characters created by J.A. Pitts. They are alive. They catch the reader up in their stories, and you care about them (both love and hate :). They are inspiring, and good characters go a long way to making a good book.
This book is in some ways the opposite of the first in the series. The first book tied up almost all the story lines and this second in the series leaves almost all the story lines with loose ends. The characters are better developed in this second book a
Connie
Feb 08, 2012 Connie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I kind of liked the first book, uneven pacing and characters acting out of character not withstanding. Even the rather abrupt climax made me wonder where the author would go with the next book.
And then Honeyed Words. Well at least the uneven pacing is fixed, this one is slow throughout. I found most of the characters less believable here. And as a dyke myself, I'm sorry but the romance bits really don't do a thing for me.
Even so I will probably buy the third book. I really hope that one manage
Blue
This book was "okay." I didn't like it nearly as much as the first book, but I'm still interested enough to read the next. Whereas the first book ended with some sort of closure, this one leaves more questions unanswered and plot points unresolved.

Katie and Sarah's relationship has moved past the awkward guilt stage (for Sarah), but as they spend most of the book apart, it's even more clear that this is not a romance novel, keeping it firmly in the fantasy/sci-fi world, which makes me happy. Alw
Cindy (eclecticfirefly)
Sarah is an apprentice blacksmith. She is in a relationship with Katie, a teacher and bard. A lot of the guilt Sarah was feeling in the first book is gone, the relationship with Katie is getting back on track, and everyone's wounds from the battle with the dragon are healing.

So, what could go wrong? Elves travelling thru mirrors, dwarves kidnapping a singer, and Bub. A demon (sort of like a mini-dragon) tied to an amulet. Fun book. Plenty of action, a little romance, and lots of magic. Oh, and
John Carter McKnight
If you thought The Two Towers was too action-packed, this is the book for you. Pitts' first novel was a bit rough in craft but a fast-paced urban fantasy romp. His second is slowwwwwww. Very little happens, and it takes the better part of 125,000 words along the way.

Sarah shows some real growth, and has a strong internal character arc. And that's really about it, other than the introduction of an entertaining new familiar for her and a few allies.

I'll give the next one a shot, because I like th
Choko
I think this author has a ton of potential!!! He is obviously a natural storyteller and has a good feel for his characters. I am rooting for the little fire creature that they call Bub:) The story is developing nicely. It's just that something is missing from the product as a whole, something elusive I can not put my finger on... I would love to see him develop into his potential and read more books from him:)
Sheree Ross
Jul 03, 2012 Sheree Ross rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series, but I keep waiting for the author to do more. Sarah, as a possible fighter of,,,,,,,,,,dragons? Isn't growing. Her lover Katie is a great character. But,,,,something in these books aren't developing. Perhaps its me. In this one Ari is kidnapped,,,,,and thats it. No plans to resuce or even a plot developed to do anything about him. Oh yes,,,,later he is rescued but its like an afterthought. I do so hope things get better.
Ape
Jun 17, 2012 Ape rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Xenites and Bruce Campbell fans
Very entertaining adventure in the form of urban fantasy. Action, mythology, folklore held together by personal relationships. It's nerdy and camp and absolutely gorgeous. Despite all of that it still manages to be serious enough that you suspend your disbelief and disappear for three hundred quick pages.

It might not be for everyone, but it combines two of my favourite thinks, geek and gay. And it did so very well. So I'm a fan.
Tracy Dobbs
I loved this book. I think I liked it even better than the first, Black Blade Blues. Probably because Sarah, the main character, has grown up some...although she still has her temper. Also, now that it has been established that there is "magic" coexisting with "the real world", there is less "oh my god" freaking out and more "ok, it's weird, let's deal with it".
Jeffrey Jelmeland
A good story with some nicely utilized elements from Norse Mythology pulled. The character growth in the main characters was well done, and there is definite improvement in the storytelling abilities of the author from the first book. My only real complaint is that the author left several major plot threads unresolved. Of course this provides ample avenues for follow-up books so I can't complain too much about that.
Stephanie
Nov 27, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am enjoying this series of books. For me the sequel was not as good as the first, and I think that is because the plot of the book seemed to be a set up for a bigger adventure. I can live with that. I did enjoy how the focus on the relationship between Sarah and Katie was not the main plot of the book. I like the fact that the relationship is there and it is not shoved into the for front. I am looking forward to reading the third book.
Lindsey Stock
Apr 18, 2011 Lindsey Stock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, lgbt, favorites
The second book is even better than the first. The plot moves along nicely, and the characters deal with all of their issues caused by the big battle at the end of the previous book. The relationships between the characters are depicted in a realistic way. Oh, and Sara is even more kick ass than she was before!
Bob Turpin
Aug 05, 2014 Bob Turpin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Too much urban, and suburban, and not enough fantasy. 4/5ths of the book was dilemma and selfrecrimination and texting, and just because you're hanging out with teen goth emo elves in a park doesn't make them not teen goth emo's. As of right now I have zero interest in continuing this series. It was an OK start to a barely mediocre second book.
  • The Traitor And the Chalice (Lyremouth Chronicles, #2)
  • Broken Wings
  • More Than an Echo (Echo Branson, #1)
  • Warrior's Valor (Supreme Constellations, #3)
  • Thief of Always (Elite Operatives, #2)
  • Bloody Claws (Kassandra Lyall, Preternatural Investigator, #3)
  • Blood Rock (Skindancer, #2)
  • The Wild Ways (Gale Women, #2)
  • Marching to a Different Accordion
  • The Business of Death (Death Works Trilogy, #1-3)
  • Silver Kiss
(from author's website) I learned to love science fiction at the knee of my grandmother, listening to her read authors like Edgar Rice Burroughs and Robert E. Howard during my childhood in rural Kentucky. My life has always been heavily influenced by strong women. My mother first among them: raising three boys after the death of my father, with grace and wit. There were always women coming and goi ...more
More about J.A. Pitts...

Sarah Beauhall (4 books)
  • Black Blade Blues (Sarah Beauhall #1)
  • Forged in Fire (Sarah Beauhall #3)
  • Night Terrors (Sarah Beauhall #4)