Start by marking “Caretaker (Star Trek Voyager, #1)” as Want to Read:
Caretaker (Star Trek Voyager, #1)

Caretaker (Star Trek: Voyager #1)

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  926 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Captain Kathryn Janeway and the crew of the Starship Voyager are transported by alien technology to the other side of the galaxy, years away from the Federation and everything they call home. There an enigmatic being known as the Caretaker kidnaps two crew members and transports them to a people known as the Ocampa. Captain Janeway must rescue her crew members, battle a ho ...more
Paperback, Televsion tie-in, 279 pages
Published 1995 by Pocket Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Caretaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caretaker

Imzadi by Peter DavidUhura's Song by Janet KaganSpock's World by Diane DuaneYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinHow Much for Just the Planet? by John M. Ford
Best Star Trek Books
105th out of 245 books — 184 voters
Mosaic by Jeri TaylorPathways by Jeri TaylorThe Eternal Tide by Kirsten BeyerFull Circle by Kirsten BeyerCloak and Dagger by Christie Golden
Best Star Trek Voyager books
7th out of 24 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Alejandro
I was lucky to get the novelization of the pilot episode Caretaker of the TV series spin-off Star Trek: Voyager, right when the book got out in 1995, since that TV series got to Latin America like 1 years or 2 years later on cable, so I was able to know what was about the new addition to the franchise of Star Trek right when the series was premiered on USA, only through the novelization format, that it wasn't something new to me, since many key episodes of TNG and DS9, I knew about them through ...more
Lisa :-)
May 30, 2009 Lisa :-) rated it it was ok
In my opinion, the only reason to read a novelisation of an episode of “Star Trek” (Or any TV show for that matter) is to get something new from the episode. New plot elements, new insights into a character’s thought processes that you simply can’t show on television. I was looking forward to seeing “Caretaker” in a slightly different light. But this book ended up being a tad... lacking. It seemed to me to simply be a re-telling of the events of the episode and it is quicker and more enjoyable t ...more
Sanna
Jul 31, 2011 Sanna added it
A good read. This novelization focuses on Janeway and Paris mostly, and introduces briefly some of the original crewmen of Voyager, who end up dying whilst the ship is whisked off into the other side of the Galaxy. This novel was well written but what I would've liked to read more on was the struggle that Janeway must've gone through to make the decision which results in the ship and its crew being stranded 75 years on maximum warp from home. These novels are a brilliant chance to elaborate on w ...more
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it liked it
Caretaker is based upon the characters on the television show Star Trek: Voyager and is the pilot episode of the series. This story takes place during the first season of the show, so Kes is still on board and Seven of Nine has not yet joined the crew. I found the characters to be amazing true to the television series of today, even after 5 years.

The writing style was easy to read and the story moves along. But like the beginning of the show, this episode, if you can call a book an episode, is
Jane
May 26, 2014 Jane rated it it was amazing
I've read a few Star Trek books, mostly from Next Generation, and never really understood the fuss. However, I had the chance to pick up a few Voyager paperbacks cheap and decided to give them a try. I planned to use Caretaker as my "car" book (a book I leave in my car for emergencies when I need something to read while waiting or over a meal out). It often takes a me a long time to finish a car book, and it can be hard to pick up where I last left off. I knew that would not be a problem with Ca ...more
Kerry
Aug 22, 2015 Kerry rated it it was amazing
I love this episode, it was a great start to the series and the book of it is fantastic!
Sharon
Caretaker is the first numbered book in the ST Voyager series and it is a tie in book with the Pilot episode of the same name.

The dialogue and the plot are almost identical to the television episode. The focus of the story is Captain Janeway and Tom Paris.

There are some interesting things in the book that could not be included in the episode because of time constraints. We see a more in depth look at DS9, a moment with Odo and we get inside the thoughts of the various characters as they are wh
Seleyia
Feb 09, 2014 Seleyia rated it really liked it
This is the first book that I read that had Star Trek in it that was a story. I noticed that this book closely resembled the Star Trek Voyager episode. The dialog and everything that was happening in the episode was also the same as in this book. I really enjoyed the plot line of this story. You cannot just read this book, you have to read all of the books in this series. There is no definite end in this novel, but an end to just this one story. It is like a Star Trek episode. This is an amazing ...more
Danie
Jul 15, 2015 Danie rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Novelizations of movies or specific TV episodes are interesting things. They can be really good, melding what actually went on, on the screen with little things and thoughts that the characters may have actually thought. And doing it well. Or they can be very, very bad, either simply looking like someone added 'if, then, but and the's' (with some 'saids') to the script or adding too much stuff that doesn't fit with the characters of the show and goes totally against what was seen on screen.

In Ca
DJ
Mar 16, 2012 DJ rated it really liked it
My FIRST Star Trek book I've read.

I'm a fan of Star Trek and Star Wars, but I never bought their books because I felt/thought it is a little fan-fic type of thing. When I got the full series of Voyager books, and I got them right after watching the entire Voyager series on Netflix within a couple weeks.

I wasn't too sure if I'll like it, but surprisingly I DID!

The first one is based on the first episode on Voyager and how they got trapped in the Delta Quadrant for 75 years. I'm extremely please
Amory Blaine
Feb 03, 2015 Amory Blaine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels, 2015
A perfect novelization! Dialogue is virtually word for word from the episode script, and there are none of the inconsistencies that plague other pilot novelizations (see: Emissary). Also unlike Emissary, characters are given more depth, thought, and backstory than we see onscreen. A great start to the sadly sparse world of Voyager fiction.
K
Mar 11, 2014 K rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek, voyager
What is there to say, It is the pilot from Voyager. Great start to a great series. The book details how Voyager and her crew got to the delta quadrant. If i were to make a complaint, it would be I would have felt the book would have gone into greater detail than the actual pilot did, but it seemed almost identical. But I have to add, it has been many years since I saw the pilot, so I will need to watch it again. 4.25/5
Maj
Aug 10, 2014 Maj rated it really liked it
I watched Voyager years ago, could barely remember the details of the pilot when I picked up this novellisation...I expected a leasure read, which this defnitely was, but was surprised how much I actually enjoyed reading this story. On a purely visceral level I enjoyed reading the story considerably more than I remember watching it.
Irma
Mar 04, 2014 Irma rated it really liked it
It's my first book about Voyager and it's a nice one. I'm a big fan of Star Trek, including Voyager, and this book is exactly the way I remember the first episodes.
Perhaps I'll read some more, cause it's really a great series!
Solomon Woytowich
Feb 20, 2014 Solomon Woytowich rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Being a fan of Star Trek, both classic and new, I really enjoyed it. Voyager was a different kind of story all together which some didn't really dive into but I quite liked it.
RumBelle
Feb 22, 2016 RumBelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
I was so excited when this series premiered. The books were great as well. They could really branch out with story lines because the crew was in the Delta Quadrant. I really loved the Maquis aspect as well. New ship, new crew, and new adventures. When Voyager was assigned to find and detain a Maquis ship, they instead ended up 70,000 light years from home, stranded in the Delta Quadrant. If both crews wanted to survive, they would have to learn to work with, and trust each other.
Barbara Huskey
Jun 21, 2015 Barbara Huskey rated it really liked it
Audiobook. It was short, but well done. I enjoyed it.
Dave Bowmore
Oct 08, 2014 Dave Bowmore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent little story - a rollicking good page-turner.
Dan Gilman
Sep 28, 2011 Dan Gilman rated it it was ok
Good, not great, it closely sticks to the episode it's based on, and I particularly didn't feel Voyager came to it's own until Lon Suder was introduced later that season, it hooked me with that character, but it had such promise and ...ah but I'm getting sidetracked.

It is most definitely worth a read, the author stayed very true to the characters, and it must be limiting to stick to the story, with a few added internal dialogs, but that's basically what you're reading here, a script with some in
Joy
May 25, 2010 Joy rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
This is a novelization of the pilot for Star Trek Voyager. I got it in a boxed set of the pilot episodes of Star Trek series. It's a decent novelization.

The starship Voyager goes into the Badlands to look for a missing Maquis ship that had Captain Janeway's first officer on it. They are thrown into the Delta Quadrant on the other side of the galaxy and face a 70 year journey home. And two crewmen are also missing and in the hands of the Caretaker.
Weavre
Dec 29, 2008 Weavre added it
Just adding a few more Star Trek novels I found while working in the shed, so they're in my list here; that way, I can easily see which ones we don't have and bookmooch only titles we're missing. But to be honest, I don't remember any of these stories particularly well, and will have to post an actual review when and if I get around to re-reading them in the future.
Hannah
Aug 13, 2012 Hannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
I only ever read the first handful of books, out of bitterness that they sank (well, to be fair, they *ascended*) my beautiful, adorable rarepair ship (Kim/Kes thankyouverymuch! The other pairs are weird and smell funny.) I loved this one because it had more of Kim and Torres being held by the Ocampa.
Andreas
May 25, 2011 Andreas rated it it was ok
I had never had occasion to watch the premiere episode of Voyager, so I read the book. Not terribly exciting from a literary point of view, and I doubt that it would be very interesting if not for the Star Trek element. Not for the non-trekker.

Jacque Hodges (Carter)
Dec 04, 2013 Jacque Hodges (Carter) rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
Love Star Trek. I actually finished this a couple of days ago and am now reading the 2nd in the series. I'll probably continue the series because they are fast reading, I enjoy them, and I need to catch up on my goal of reading 50 books this year.
Elissa (crz4drwho)
Oct 27, 2011 Elissa (crz4drwho) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ST Voyager fans
Shelves: read-2011
Almost exactly like the episode it is based on. I liked the added bits that showed what the characters were thinking and how they were feeling. It was a well-written and enjoyable read. It made me miss so many of the characters I loved so much.
Joshua Lemke
Jul 31, 2014 Joshua Lemke rated it it was amazing
As a die hard Star Trek fan, I would say that this was another great novelization of a pilot episode. As usual, the book gave more detail than the episode, which made it more enjoyable to read.
Travis
Jan 27, 2010 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Nice novelization of the first Voyager TV episode. Gives the cast a bit more depth of personality and makes for a slightly stronger and bigger feeling story than the limits of the TV show budget.
Larry
Jun 02, 2011 Larry added it
Good novelization of the show's premiere episode. I was never a big fan of this Trek series, but this book served as a very good introduction to the characters and backstory.
Pete Faziani
Sep 02, 2013 Pete Faziani rated it it was ok
I know it's a novelization of the episode, but I expected more insight or depth of character. Nope.
Bryan457
Oct 05, 2014 Bryan457 rated it liked it
The crew of the starship Voyager are pulled to the far side of the galaxy by the enigmatic Caretaker.
  • The Escape (Star Trek Voyager, #2)
  • Ragnarok (Star Trek Voyager, #3)
  • Violations (Star Trek: Voyager #4)
  • Bless the Beasts (Star Trek Voyager, #10)
  • The Murdered Sun (Star Trek: Voyager, #6)
  • Ghost of a Chance (Star Trek: Voyager, #7)
  • Flashback (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • The Final Fury (Star Trek Voyager, #9; Invasion, Book 4)
  • Cybersong (Star Trek Voyager, #8)
  • Mosaic (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Chrysalis (Star Trek Voyager, #12)
  • The Black Shore (Star Trek Voyager, #13)
  • Incident at Arbuk (Star Trek: Voyager, #5)
  • The Garden (Star Trek Voyager, #11)
  • Emissary
  • Her Klingon Soul: Day of Honor #3
  • Battle Lines (Star Trek Voyager, #18)
L.A. Graf reportedly stands for Let's All Get Rich and Famous. Its a pseudonym used by authors Karen Rose Cercone and Julia Ecklar.

They have co-written some eleven Star Trek novels. Their first Star Trek novel came out in 1990.
More about L.A. Graf...

Star Trek: Voyager (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Escape (Star Trek Voyager, #2)
  • Ragnarok (Star Trek Voyager, #3)
  • Violations (Star Trek: Voyager #4)
  • Incident at Arbuk (Star Trek: Voyager, #5)
  • The Murdered Sun (Star Trek: Voyager, #6)
  • Ghost of a Chance (Star Trek: Voyager, #7)
  • Cybersong (Star Trek Voyager, #8)
  • The Final Fury (Star Trek Voyager, #9; Invasion, Book 4)
  • Bless the Beasts (Star Trek Voyager, #10)
  • The Garden (Star Trek Voyager, #11)