Start by marking “Caretaker (Star Trek Voyager, #1)” as Want to Read:
Caretaker (Star Trek Voyager, #1)

Caretaker (Star Trek: Voyager #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  782 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Captain Kathryn Janeway and the crew of the Starship Voyager are transported by alien technology to the other side of the galaxy, years away from the Federation and everything they call home. There an enigmatic being known as the Caretaker kidnaps two crew members and transports them to a people known as the Ocampa. Captain Janeway must rescue her crew members, battle a ho ...more
Paperback, Televsion tie-in, 279 pages
Published 1995 by Pocket Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Caretaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caretaker

Imzadi by Peter DavidSpock's World by Diane DuaneUhura's Song by Janet KaganYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinEnterprise by Vonda N. McIntyre
Best Star Trek Books
96th out of 233 books — 162 voters
Imzadi by Peter DavidA Stitch in Time by Andrew J. RobinsonSarek by A.C. CrispinSpock's World by Diane DuaneMosaic by Jeri Taylor
Star Trek Books That Don't Actually Suck
48th out of 102 books — 65 voters

More lists with this book...

Alejandro
I was lucky to get the novelization of the pilot episode Caretaker of the TV series spin-off Star Trek: Voyager, right when the book got out in 1995, since that TV series got to Latin America like 1 years or 2 years later on cable, so I was able to know what was about the new addition to the franchise of Star Trek right when the series was premiered on USA, only through the novelization format, that it wasn't something new to me, since many key episodes of TNG and DS9, I knew about them through ...more
Sanna
Jul 31, 2011 Sanna added it
A good read. This novelization focuses on Janeway and Paris mostly, and introduces briefly some of the original crewmen of Voyager, who end up dying whilst the ship is whisked off into the other side of the Galaxy. This novel was well written but what I would've liked to read more on was the struggle that Janeway must've gone through to make the decision which results in the ship and its crew being stranded 75 years on maximum warp from home. These novels are a brilliant chance to elaborate on w ...more
Lisa :-)
In my opinion, the only reason to read a novelisation of an episode of “Star Trek” (Or any TV show for that matter) is to get something new from the episode. New plot elements, new insights into a character’s thought processes that you simply can’t show on television. I was looking forward to seeing “Caretaker” in a slightly different light. But this book ended up being a tad... lacking. It seemed to me to simply be a re-telling of the events of the episode and it is quicker and more enjoyable t ...more
Jane
I've read a few Star Trek books, mostly from Next Generation, and never really understood the fuss. However, I had the chance to pick up a few Voyager paperbacks cheap and decided to give them a try. I planned to use Caretaker as my "car" book (a book I leave in my car for emergencies when I need something to read while waiting or over a meal out). It often takes a me a long time to finish a car book, and it can be hard to pick up where I last left off. I knew that would not be a problem with Ca ...more
Seleyia
This is the first book that I read that had Star Trek in it that was a story. I noticed that this book closely resembled the Star Trek Voyager episode. The dialog and everything that was happening in the episode was also the same as in this book. I really enjoyed the plot line of this story. You cannot just read this book, you have to read all of the books in this series. There is no definite end in this novel, but an end to just this one story. It is like a Star Trek episode. This is an amazing ...more
Danie
Novelizations of movies or specific TV episodes are interesting things. They can be really good, melding what actually went on, on the screen with little things and thoughts that the characters may have actually thought. And doing it well. Or they can be very, very bad, either simply looking like someone added 'if, then, but and the's' (with some 'saids') to the script or adding too much stuff that doesn't fit with the characters of the show and goes totally against what was seen on screen.

In Ca
DJ
My FIRST Star Trek book I've read.

I'm a fan of Star Trek and Star Wars, but I never bought their books because I felt/thought it is a little fan-fic type of thing. When I got the full series of Voyager books, and I got them right after watching the entire Voyager series on Netflix within a couple weeks.

I wasn't too sure if I'll like it, but surprisingly I DID!

The first one is based on the first episode on Voyager and how they got trapped in the Delta Quadrant for 75 years. I'm extremely please
Amory Blaine
A perfect novelization! Dialogue is virtually word for word from the episode script, and there are none of the inconsistencies that plague other pilot novelizations (see: Emissary). Also unlike Emissary, characters are given more depth, thought, and backstory than we see onscreen. A great start to the sadly sparse world of Voyager fiction.
K
What is there to say, It is the pilot from Voyager. Great start to a great series. The book details how Voyager and her crew got to the delta quadrant. If i were to make a complaint, it would be I would have felt the book would have gone into greater detail than the actual pilot did, but it seemed almost identical. But I have to add, it has been many years since I saw the pilot, so I will need to watch it again. 4.25/5
Maj
I watched Voyager years ago, could barely remember the details of the pilot when I picked up this novellisation...I expected a leasure read, which this defnitely was, but was surprised how much I actually enjoyed reading this story. On a purely visceral level I enjoyed reading the story considerably more than I remember watching it.
Irma
It's my first book about Voyager and it's a nice one. I'm a big fan of Star Trek, including Voyager, and this book is exactly the way I remember the first episodes.
Perhaps I'll read some more, cause it's really a great series!
Solomon Woytowich
Being a fan of Star Trek, both classic and new, I really enjoyed it. Voyager was a different kind of story all together which some didn't really dive into but I quite liked it.
Dave Bowmore
Excellent little story - a rollicking good page-turner.
Dan Gilman
Good, not great, it closely sticks to the episode it's based on, and I particularly didn't feel Voyager came to it's own until Lon Suder was introduced later that season, it hooked me with that character, but it had such promise and ...ah but I'm getting sidetracked.

It is most definitely worth a read, the author stayed very true to the characters, and it must be limiting to stick to the story, with a few added internal dialogs, but that's basically what you're reading here, a script with some in
Joy
This is a novelization of the pilot for Star Trek Voyager. I got it in a boxed set of the pilot episodes of Star Trek series. It's a decent novelization.

The starship Voyager goes into the Badlands to look for a missing Maquis ship that had Captain Janeway's first officer on it. They are thrown into the Delta Quadrant on the other side of the galaxy and face a 70 year journey home. And two crewmen are also missing and in the hands of the Caretaker.
Weavre
Dec 29, 2008 Weavre added it
Just adding a few more Star Trek novels I found while working in the shed, so they're in my list here; that way, I can easily see which ones we don't have and bookmooch only titles we're missing. But to be honest, I don't remember any of these stories particularly well, and will have to post an actual review when and if I get around to re-reading them in the future.
Hannah
I only ever read the first handful of books, out of bitterness that they sank (well, to be fair, they *ascended*) my beautiful, adorable rarepair ship (Kim/Kes thankyouverymuch! The other pairs are weird and smell funny.) I loved this one because it had more of Kim and Torres being held by the Ocampa.
Andreas
I had never had occasion to watch the premiere episode of Voyager, so I read the book. Not terribly exciting from a literary point of view, and I doubt that it would be very interesting if not for the Star Trek element. Not for the non-trekker.

Jacque Hodges (Carter)
Love Star Trek. I actually finished this a couple of days ago and am now reading the 2nd in the series. I'll probably continue the series because they are fast reading, I enjoy them, and I need to catch up on my goal of reading 50 books this year.
Elissa
Oct 27, 2011 Elissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ST Voyager fans
Almost exactly like the episode it is based on. I liked the added bits that showed what the characters were thinking and how they were feeling. It was a well-written and enjoyable read. It made me miss so many of the characters I loved so much.
Joshua Lemke
As a die hard Star Trek fan, I would say that this was another great novelization of a pilot episode. As usual, the book gave more detail than the episode, which made it more enjoyable to read.
Travis
Nice novelization of the first Voyager TV episode. Gives the cast a bit more depth of personality and makes for a slightly stronger and bigger feeling story than the limits of the TV show budget.
Larry
Jun 02, 2011 Larry added it
Good novelization of the show's premiere episode. I was never a big fan of this Trek series, but this book served as a very good introduction to the characters and backstory.
Pete Faziani
I know it's a novelization of the episode, but I expected more insight or depth of character. Nope.
Bryan457
The crew of the starship Voyager are pulled to the far side of the galaxy by the enigmatic Caretaker.
James Pittman
Based on the great series, Star Trek: Voyager teleplay. This is a great start to the Voyager saga.
Kerry
I love this episode, it was a great start to the series and the book of it is fantastic!
Eric
It was good, even though i am not a fan of novelizations of tv shows and movies.
Great beginning to the series, and more insight than the episodes.
Marilyn
What a great way to get inside Captain Janeway's head!
  • The Escape (Star Trek Voyager, #2)
  • Ragnarok (Star Trek Voyager, #3)
  • Bless the Beasts (Star Trek Voyager, #10)
  • The Murdered Sun (Star Trek: Voyager, #6)
  • Violations (Star Trek: Voyager #4)
  • Mosaic (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Chrysalis (Star Trek Voyager, #12)
  • Ghost of a Chance (Star Trek: Voyager, #7)
  • The Garden (Star Trek Voyager, #11)
  • Flashback (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Cybersong (Star Trek Voyager, #8)
  • The Final Fury (Star Trek Voyager, #9; Invasion, Book 4)
  • The Black Shore (Star Trek Voyager, #13)
  • Emissary
  • Battle Lines (Star Trek Voyager, #18)
  • Her Klingon Soul: Day of Honor #3
  • Incident at Arbuk (Star Trek: Voyager, #5)
  • Cohesion (Star Trek Voyager: String Theory, #1)
L.A. Graf reportedly stands for Let's All Get Rich and Famous. Its a pseudonym used by authors Karen Rose Cercone and Julia Ecklar.

They have co-written some eleven Star Trek novels. Their first Star Trek novel came out in 1990.
More about L.A. Graf...

Star Trek: Voyager (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Escape (Star Trek Voyager, #2)
  • Ragnarok (Star Trek Voyager, #3)
  • Violations (Star Trek: Voyager #4)
  • Incident at Arbuk (Star Trek: Voyager, #5)
  • The Murdered Sun (Star Trek: Voyager, #6)
  • Ghost of a Chance (Star Trek: Voyager, #7)
  • Cybersong (Star Trek Voyager, #8)
  • The Final Fury (Star Trek Voyager, #9; Invasion, Book 4)
  • Bless the Beasts (Star Trek Voyager, #10)
  • The Garden (Star Trek Voyager, #11)
Time's Enemy (Star Trek Deep Space Nine, #16) Ice Trap Death Count Traitor Winds (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #3) War Dragons (Star Trek: The Captain's Table,  #1)