Scapegoat: The Story of a Goat Named Oat and a Chewed-Up Coat

Scapegoat: The Story of a Goat Named Oat and a Chewed-Up Coat

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  26 reviews

In the Choat family, you never have to look hard to find a culprit. Missing TV remote? Blame the goat! Lost coat? Keys in the moat? Broken boat? Blame the goat!

But don't be surprised if the goat doesn't take it lying down. In this hilarious, rhyme-happy picture book, children will love to pore over the funny illustrations, picking up clues that all is not as it seems bet

Published June 21st 2011 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

Shanshad Whelan
Unpleasant characters, unbelievably incessant rhymes and a plot arc that doesn't seem to accomplish anything. The main boy character who blames everything on the goat, is thoroughly unpleasant and nasty and doesn't own up to anything until the neighbor who speaks goat happens to translate. Makes the parents out to be very gullible, the child out to be a monster and nobody really learns that lying or blaming someone for their own doings might be a bad idea. It's not really pleasant or silly enoug...more
Barbara
Time after time, the mischevious Jimmy Choat blames his misdoings on someone else, the family's pet goat. Patsy Petunia Goat tries to tell Jimmy's mother and father the truth, but they can't speak her language, and Jimmy gets away with murder. Petunia keeps getting blamed, and she grows angrier and angrier at the injustice of it all. When a kindly neighbor who speaks Goat finds Petunia with a shaved throat, the truth comes out, and Jimmy gets his just desserts. This book is filled with different...more
Elizabeth S
Fun, clever, weird, and useful. Useful you say? Yes, useful. Every kid needs a goat to blame things on. And most of us adults need one too. This book will teach you how to effectively use that goat. (Note that effectiveness is not guaranteed for life.) Also useful if you ever want to list all the words in the English language that rhyme with "goat." Seriously, I am sure Mr. Hale did an exhaustive search. Which adds wonders for the humor of the book, if you are in the right mood. Gets a little to...more
Heidi
A silly story with more words than I would have thought on my own which rhyme with "goat." I certainly don't like the character of Jimmy. Quite a brat and I'm glad in the end someone understood Petunia so the truth could out. I love that Petunia's words don't rhyme. I like the very, very end, though--a fun smile. A bit of humor that makes me roll my eyes, but right up the alley for kids--especially boys. Probably be all right in a school-age storytime. Preschool, maybe. A very slight maybe.

My fa...more
Milo P.
Dec 23, 2012 Milo P. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Milo by: Dean is a family friend.
**UPDATE** I love this book even more now. I ESPECIALLY love the pictures where there is goo in the mama's bag and Jimmy gets gas.

I went to my first book reading with Scapegoat. Dean, the person who wrote the story read it to us and a girl in the store showed up pictures. They even brought in a little goat. I got to feed and pet the goat in front of the book store.

I like it when Mama and Papa make goat voice when they read the goat's words. I also like to see the picture of green goo with the...more
Elisabeth
one of these tricky stories about telling the truth (or not). Will be great for pre-school and older kids who will totally get it, but holding off reading it to a little one until the idea of truth/lies is a more secure concept in their development might be a good idea. The goats indignant face throughout made me laugh aloud and the fact that when she spoke, it didn't rhyme was funny too. The surprise at the end was a clever way to end the story.
Ariel Cummins
Cute little book about a boy who blames all the things he does wrong on the family's pet goat (get it -- scapegoat? Eh? Eh?). Until the neighbor, who speaks the language of goats, speaks up!

The art has a faux-retro feel, and is fun and bright.

This weird little story would make a pretty good read along for lower-elementary kids because of the heavy rhyming and sillyness of the story.
Christy

Leona
so much fun! little boy keeps blaming a goat for everything he does wrong, until the truth is found out. the rhyming text is great and the pictures even more fun with the poor goat trying to tell the truth.
Kelli
This rhyming story about a boy who blames his seemingly-hapless goat for all of his own bad behavior has a fun plot and an ending that makes this a good read-aloud for preschoolers or kindergarten.
Karen
Fun book to read with kids. The author is Shannon Hale's husband (remember The Princess Academy?). We went to King's English bookstore for the book signing.
Angela
LOVED this picture book! Great text and illustrations! My girls love it as well. I know it will quickly become a regular bed-time story.
Bethe
Trying too hard to rhyme everything with oat, a little mean spirited and unappealing illustrations.
Peacegal
You can't go wrong with goat stories. This is a cute little book with a surprise ending.
Megan
Mar 21, 2012 Megan rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: kindergarten-2nd grade
Quite silly and a little overboard with the rhymes, but cute to read once.
Jessica
Hilarious! So much fun to read aloud, and both the 7yo and 3yo loved it!
Edward Sullivan
How many words rhyme with goat? I think Dean Hale found them all.
Allison
me thinks Jimmy got off light for all those bad deeds and lies.
Nancy
HA! Read this out loud, it has really great rhyme.
Elizabeth
Adorable, fun, and with plenty of tongue twisters.
Mary Lee
Rhyme for the sake of rhyme and an unbelievable ending.
Greta
It's certainly quirky. My kids loved it!
Amy
Great storytime book--hysterical.
Courtney
Another funny one with the kids
Donalyn
If you can't say something nice...
Gretchen
Made me laugh and fun illustrations!
Tara
Tara added it
Apr 17, 2014
Shanna
Shanna marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Mandy
Mandy marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dean Hale is the first-time author of Rapunzel's Revenge, published by Bloomsbury in October 2008. He is married to children's author Shannon Hale.
More about Dean Hale...
Calamity Jack (Rapunzel's Revenge, #2) First Kiss (Then Tell): A Collection of True Lip-Locked Moments Rapunzel's Revenge (Rapunzel's Revenge, #1) The Princess in Black