Start by marking “Living The Savvy Life: The Savvy Woman's Guide to Smart Spending and Rich Living” as Want to Read:

It's Not About Being Cheap.  Living the Savvy Life isn't about being a cheapskate, a miser or a tightwad.  It's about having security and peace of mind by spending less than you make.  It's about knowing where you stand financially on a daily basis so you can make intelligent fiscal decisions.  It's about being penny-wise on the things that are less important to you so you ...more
Published January 11th 2011 by Morgan James Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Living The Savvy Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living The Savvy Life

Darcey
Dec 24, 2011 Darcey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: help
An interesting and useful read. Some of these things I can definitely adapt to our lifestyle over here, and the website & extra resources she provides inside are helpful and many of them are free! The writing style was good - she didn't talk down to the reader about having a superior lifestyle/way of living, but worked on coaching the reader and providing examples of how you, too can do this.
Tommy
May 22, 2011 Tommy rated it it was amazing
The key to financial success is balance. This is reiterated throughout the book. Yet, it is still one of the best lessons I've ever learned about managing my finances. From my experience, the toughest aspect of financial freedom is setting any plan to habit. What I enjoyed most about this book were the simple to follow ideas, and suggestions to finding the areas of your life where you can save. Some of the suggestions in this book seem simple, though actually applying them into every day ...more
Leah Hortin
Feb 03, 2014 Leah Hortin rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
Meh, this was ok. I think it was targeted to a slightly younger, most likely single female demographic. Nothing really new here. I appreciate that she has a moderate approach to finances - you should still be able to do the things you love, buy the things that you really want, just be smart about it and make sure your priorities are in place and focus on quality, not quantity. I/we are definitely doing a lot of things right but need to tighten up the spending and this was a good reminder of ...more
Teddy
Aug 06, 2011 Teddy rated it really liked it
A good book. I already knew a lot of the info, but I was coming to it as a generally frugal/thrifty person looking for ways to help curb my spendaholic partner, not as a spendaholic myself (except occasionally when the meds don't work.) If you're a spendaholic I can see it being helpful.

There's still some new stuff that I think I'm going to try, especially the 'spend book' (list the purchases you want to make over and above your normal shopping, so when you do have the extra you're more focused
Irene McHugh
Apr 08, 2012 Irene McHugh rated it really liked it
A good read. I gave only four stars to this book because I've read other books and articles giving similar financial advice and money-saving tips. If you've never read a book on how to save money, then this book would be a good starting place. They have all the basic components of how to analyze your spending and find places where you can save money. The language and the organization of the book is extremely user friendly.

I didn't come across any new financial tips. However, I did find some new
Artemisia Hunt
Oct 02, 2013 Artemisia Hunt rated it really liked it
Living the Savvy Life is full of helpful, well-organized information on money management, but more than that, on how to really enjoy the money you do spend to the fullest. The authors give lots off good advice, helpful ideas and fun examples of living a satisfying life while still putting money in the bank and paying all the bills. There is nothing unusual or difficult about anything presented, just plenty of simple, down to earth common sense, laid out in simple everyday language that doesn't ...more
Althea
Nov 13, 2011 Althea rated it liked it
"Save money on the things that aren't important to you so you can afford to spend money on the things that are important to you" is the philospophy of Living the Savvy Life. Beside the obvious financial advice this book touches on shopping, cooking, dressing and makeup selection and how to clean and organize your home. Most of the information is just common sense but I did find some new ideas for doing things. Worth the short time it takes to read this.
Kiwinyx
Apr 20, 2016 Kiwinyx rated it liked it
There are a few really good nuggets of advice in here which will see you through if you can follow them. The book is well laid out and the information presented in such a way that you can pick or choose which parts are most pertinent to you. I read the whole book but I did feel that some advice was so obvious although I guess it depends just how far down the rabbit hole you have gone.
Amy
Aug 02, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Pretty good and very common sense but with some twists. It was good for helping to understand forcing priorities and budgeting appropriately. Strangely, the money section was the least helpful for me. A spreadsheet is not the most efficient tracking mechanism for a budget and spending. Mint is much better for us.
Lisa Vira
Aug 11, 2011 Lisa Vira rated it really liked it
This hit such a chord with me that I'm re-reading. The philosophy and rules are so do-able and common sense. I can envision incorporating her recommendations into my life and it making an incredible difference.
Alicia
Jul 19, 2011 Alicia rated it liked it
Good advice for living within your means, but nothing new for me. The gist is summed up with this: be selective about what you spend your money on so you can have money for what you really want and really love. Take care of what you own so it can last a long time.
Irene
Dec 08, 2011 Irene rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Really great "how-to"/motivational book on spending money on the important things/goals in one's life versus that disabling rampant consumerism mindset most people live by. I will definitely be incorporating some of the author's ideas and suggestions!
Stephanie
Dec 22, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it
The financial tips are interesting and useful. The writing is occasionally stilted, but the author is likeable.
Sofia Marques
Sep 24, 2014 Sofia Marques rated it really liked it
Sou uma iniciante nestas andanças do conceito de minimalismo e de viver de forma simples e este livro dendo uma grande motivação para continuar neste mudança na minha vida. Aconselho!!
Glenda
Apr 18, 2012 Glenda rated it liked it
A lot of common sense stuff with a couple of new suggestions (like a book to keep track of the things you want to buy).
Valerie
Apr 14, 2015 Valerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge
I enjoyed this book. It contained a lot of simple common sense advice that was just what I needed at the right time in my life. Good reinforcement for making the right decisions.
Barbara
Jul 16, 2015 Barbara rated it really liked it
No new info here for me- I could have written this book! However, it's nice to see the common sense on these pages and others who don't already follow the"savvy life" will benefit from reading it!
Suzze Tiernan
Feb 02, 2014 Suzze Tiernan rated it it was ok
I enjoyed her talk when I saw her in person, but didn't feel those ideas came through well in the book. I couldn't relate to most of it.
Susanne Stover
Susanne Stover rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2011
Brianna Soloski
Brianna Soloski rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2013
Sheila
Sheila rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2016
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2012
Sarah rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2012
Meredith
Meredith rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2014
Bianca Boop
Bianca Boop rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2014
Karen Roberts
Karen Roberts rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Catia
Catia rated it did not like it
Jul 26, 2015
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2011
Marika
Marika rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2015
  • Savvy Chic: The Art of More for Less
  • Bitches on a Budget: Sage Advice for Surviving Tough Times in Style
  • Good Bones, Great Pieces: The Seven Essential Pieces That Will Carry You Through a Lifetime
  • The Art of SQL
  • Home Economics: Vintage Advice and Practical Science for the 21st-Century Household
  • The Pocket Stylist
  • The Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook
  • She Slipped and Fell
  • Buy Ketchup in May and Fly at Noon: A Guide to the Best Time to Buy This, Do That and Go There
  • Miserly Moms: Living Well on Less in a Tough Economy
  • Joie de Vivre: Simple French Style for Everyday Living
  • Escape (Unchained, #1)
  • Bunnicula In-a-Box (Bunnicula, #1-3)
  • Suddenly Frugal: How to Live Happier and Healthier for Less
  • Respect the Spindle
  • The EveryGirl's Guide to Life
  • Pick Another Checkout Lane, Honey: Save BIG Money & Make the Grocery Aisle Your Catwalk!
  • Daughter of the Sea