Start by marking “Second Chair (A Stan Turner Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Second Chair (A Stan Turner Mystery #3)

Second Chair (Stan Turner #3)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  51 reviews
It's 1981 in Dallas and Stan decides to throw a Christmas party at his home as a way of saying thanks to the clients who have sustained him during his first tumultuous year in the practice of law. As Stan's luck would have it, a client is killed and Stan is blamed for his death. While trying to shield himself from the wrath of the grieving widow, he's asked to defend a you ...more
MP3 CD
Published November 1st 2010 by Top Publications, Ltd. (first published June 2nd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Second Chair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Chair

Sheryll
I didn't dislike this book, but liking is about as far as I will go. I found the dialogue awkward and at times unrealistic. He did okay with character development, but I found some of them acted so unexpected that I felt more work was needed. There were times that he'd establish a sub plot and then just leave it hanging. The big reveals near the end were lame in places. I couldn't buy the brother thing without more reason and why didn't she react? There was a lot about the stepmother for awhile/ ...more
Dave Bell
I was excited to find that the first book I won on First Reads was a legal thriller, one of my go-to genres. I really, really wanted to like this book. Alas, it was not to be.

The basic plot was okay, I guess. But the execution was very disappointing. The legalese was paper thin. Characters, likewise, were one-dimensional. Dialogue was awkward or unrealistic. The pacing was all over the map. At times, things developed slowly. Other times, an entire scene would unfold in the course of a paragraph;
Christine
I should start this review by saying that I was lucky to receive this book through the Goodreads First Reads giveaway program.

Attorney Stan Turner gets in over his head when he agrees to defend a young college student accused of murdering her newborn child. Wisely Stan asks his former college professor and fellow lawyer, Harry "Snake" Hertel to be his second chair. Things become more complicated when Stan starts receiving death threats and a former friend sues him for 2 million dollars.

The story
Angela
Summary
Second Chair by William Manchee revolves around protagonist Stan Turner, a Dallas civil attorney who has been forced to represent young college student Sarah Winters, accused of murdering her newborn child. Lacking experiences with criminal cases, Stan seeks help from his previous law professor Harry Hertel as the second chair. While struggling with this high-profile case, Stan also faces his own financial problems and an accidental death on his property.

My Thoughts
The author has a great
Melanie
I received this book through the goodreads firstreads program . The book is about a lawyer who takes the case of a college student, accused of killing her baby after giving birth. Along the way, he's faced with a lawsuit from the wife of a colleague who dies at a party at his house. Someone is sending him anonymous, threatening letters for defending the mother. And he's never taken a criminal case, his specialty is bankruptcy law.
The book was interesting, and I liked the story. It was told in 9
Dwayne Keller
A good story with two mysteries for an attorney to solve; one about a girl whose baby is killed, and was a man who fell on ice really killed, or die from the accident. This story was enjoyable.
Mike
An average Mystery/Thriller. It wasn't bad, just nothing really special.

The book is written in the first person but the author occasionally slips up and switches momentarily to third person - I noticed it about a half dozen times - it wasn't for more than a sentence or two but in a couple of cases it caused momentary confusion and took me out of the story.

Written in a basic "just the facts" kind of way; There isn't a lot in the way of detailed descriptive passages (which is fine) but when there
Tammy
This is a first reads book that I won. Thank you.

Stan is a nice guy maybe more than he should be. He is defending Sarah who supposedly killed her baby but she cannot remember the night at all. Also Stan has a Christmas party where one of his friends dies and then his widow sues Stan. Stan doesn't have a lot of good luck. He has threats being sent, no good witnesses and everything crashing in on him as he struggles to keep his business going and he doesn't usually do criminal cases but Sarah's Da
T.R. Horne
This is a hard book to review. I really enjoyed the storyline but there were some things that took me out of the story a bit. The story covers the trial of an alleged baby killer who is represented by the main character, Stan Turner. The book travels through the threats, publicity and interweaving of a secondary civil suit put on Mr. Turner. There's a lit happening in this novel which is one of the things I really liked. I didn't mind continuing to read it because there was a hefty dose of myste ...more
Jim
This is one of the best books I've read in quite awhile. I'd have to say it was excellent from the first page to the last. Author William Manchee's "Second Chair" is a legal thriller that is also a great "Who Done It" ! Our protagonist is lawyer Stan Turner who does not practice criminal but civil law. At a pre-Chrsitmas party at Turner's house a guest gets hurt and dies after falling outside on the icy sidewalk. Of course the widow is out for blood suing Turner for an outrageous sum. But, Stan ...more
Amanda
I was rather excited when I won this book from the Goodreads First Reads program. But that excitement didn't last long.

I'm pretty sure no one even resembling an editor ever took a look at this book. There were just so many errors, like characters we just mentioned were not present speaking, and weird shifts from 1st to 3rd person and back again. I also had no idea when anything was happening as the book doesn't even try to keep track of its own date and time. It took me over 100 pages to figure
Annette
Stan Turner is a civil attorney who keeps falling into criminal law. He does not plan to take on a murder trial, it just seems to happen.

This time he is defending a young woman who is charged with killing her newborn infant. In small town Texas, that means she might as well admit her guilt so she can be killed in the town square.

Stan asks a former law teacher to help him with the trial. And this defense has drawn a series of threats to Stan and his family. Someone considers him as guilty as his
John Mckeel
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads and I am glad I did. I wasn't familiar with the author (William Manchee)or his continuing character, Stan Turner. I am now and I will be reading his other books with this character. If you want a book to entertain you and keep you wondering how he is going to solve all his ongoing problem, this is the book for you, It will keep you on the edge of your seat. Has a good mystery to be solved and several interesting characters.
Elaine
I am an avid mystery reader and was excited when the book arrived; but I found this story wanting. I was able to follow the story, but re-listening to chapters thinking I had missed something. I had some trouble understanding the motivation of the characters. There were many unanswered questions that tended to make the events unbelievable. I especially had difficulty with the character Snake; he was very unprofessional, and his actions in real life would have gotten him disbarred and probably ar ...more
Erin
Another great book by William Manchee. Stan Turner is sued for the death of a friend. He also is handling a murder case of a young woman who was accused of murdering her own baby, even though she doesn't remember anything. Stan and his family is also being harassed by a religious fanatic named Doomsayer. Can he handle all of this at once?

I found myself completely absorbed in this book. I enjoyed this book just as much as I had the previous book in this series. I loved the action in the courtroom
Michael
Another outstanding story in the Stan Turner mystery series. The author is able to bring together two diverse great problems to challenge Stan Turner once again. This story will force you to not put this book down until you finished it. It is incredible how the author blends such seemingly different components together to lure you into Stan Turner's world. In one sense things seem totally preposterous but as the story develops they actually make sense. And once again the ending will blow you awa ...more
Karyn Niedert

January 06, 2015 updated note: I never received this book, but am marking it as "read" so it won't appear as an un-reviewed "won" book.

As of April 26, I have not received my copy of "Second Chair". I did receive Book 3 of Mr. Manchee's "Tarizon" series this afternoon. I'm sure it was a simple mix up.

I was very excited about winning "Second Chair" during Mr. Manchee's February Goodreads giveaway. This looks like a very intriguing series, and I'll be certain to look for the Stand Turner books at
Nancy Reynolds
I was really excited when I learned I had won a copy of this book from goodreads. It took a while, however, for me to get to reading it and I am very sorry to report that it just did not grab my attention. I really had to make myself finish reading the book because, honestly, I wanted to like it so I could write a better review.
Brent Soderstrum
I have now read the first three books of the Stan Turner series and so far this is my favorite. Manchee didn't have so many seperate things going on in this book as in Brash Endeavor. Stan was dealing with just two things: being sued after a client died after slipping on the ice at his home and defending a lady who was accused of killing her newborn baby. Stan doesn't do much criminal work so he got his former law school professor, the Snake, to second chair him at the trial.

The ending was also
Cynthia
Both my husband and I really enjoyed this novel. No spoilers from us, but suffice to say that there is every aspect of a page turner in this book. You have great characters, lots of intrigue and mystery, and even though you assume you have the answers, you will be wrong. It is a book that held our interest throughout and we would recommend this book to anyone who likes a driven main character with a lot of substance. Waiting for a plot twist is my favorite part of a mystery and this book has all ...more
Rachel
Not a bad little story. I enjoyed the fact that there were 2 plots to keep things moving. While the Stan Turner series of books aren't the most exciting reads in the world, they are nicely written and a fairly quick read. *I won this book in a GoodReads First Reads giveaway*
Martha
William Manchee kept me in suspense wondering what really happened in Second Chair. There was more than one murder, lies, and many suspects. It bothers me when a baby dies whether its murdered after it's born or an abortion. So just reading about what happened to Sarah Winters, who was accused of murdering her own baby upset me as I read. The truth was even more upsetting for me.
Stan's wife is so loyal, and the money he earns for the family is so tight, that attorney Stan Turner is very likable
Joe Reto
Stan Turner is probably a good lawyer yet he gets himself into less than desireable situations. Manchee's prime character ST makes for a very entertaining read. 'Second Chair' is a great example of getting in over your head and compromising your family's safety. The 'Doomsayer' makes this a very interesting read. I'll do the next book in the Stan Turner series.
Nicole
Thanks to the GoodReads giveaways this is the fourth book I've received by William Manchee.
One of the many benefits of this wonderful site is the exposure to books and authors I may have never come across otherwise.
Manchee delivers another mystery/thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat and the pages turning in this third installment in the Stan Turner series.
With likeable characters and enough mystery and intrigue to keep you guessing, this is one enjoyable series.

**(On the off c
Deb Threadgill
I really enjoyed this book. Normally, I am not big on lawyer books, but this was so different. I think it had everything in it. I could never predict what was going to happen next. That made it great. This was a really good murder mystery, no romance involved. I will be sure to read more Stan Turner Mysteries byWilliam Manchee.
Gentle
This is the first time I've read a Stan Turner book or anything by author William Manchee. Other than a few typos and a letter dropped every now and then from one of the character's names, the book was well written in my opinion. The story drew me in to the drama and mystery of it all. It was a nice challenge trying to figure out who did what without falling for the obvious suspects. Not to spoil it for anyone, the book ended with a nice twist. Part of it was a little too over the top for me, bu ...more
Ishanie
I won this one on goodreads First Reads giveaway. I love mysteries! Can't wait to get started on this!

**Update**
I'm sorry, but I was disappointed. I figured that this would surely be better than Undaunted due to it being a second book in a series. There should have been room for improvement. But once again, Stan is accused of yet another crime he didn't commit. I found it repetitive and I'm hoping the next in the series takes a new path.
Mindy
I received this novel for free from Goodreads' First Reads program.

I have to say, although I really enjoyed this book, it seemed a little rehearsed. I figured out way before the end and the big reveal, who did the crime. The main character still needs some work, however his other characters seemed to jump off the page.

Overall, I enjoyed this novel. If legal thrillers are your genre, then you will not be disappointed.

Marilou
Enjoyed the book/CD and would sit in my car when I arrived at my destination because I didn't want to "put the book down" yet. I was sometimes uncomfortable when the author described the babies and what was done to them, yet I know that is unfortunately real life. The characters were well-described and introduced in a way as to not be confusing in relationship to the chronology. Very good story-telling.
Denisa Howe
This was an excellent read and write by William Manchee. I loved this book. The plot had two things going on at once and both were attention grabbing. The characters were wonderful real people that one might meet on the street. Torn between his own legal problems and the legal problems of another the story unfolds with unique personable characters, situations and story. Bravo… Most excellent.
  • Pale Horses (Jade de Jong, #4)
  • Sudden Impact
  • My Greek Drama: Life, Love, and One Woman's Olympic Effort to Bring Glory to Her Country
  • Getting Granny's Goat: Grandpa's Best Kept Secret!
  • Reading a Writer's Mind: Exploring Short Fiction - First Thought to Finished Story
  • HeartStone (Dolvia Saga #2)
  • Killing the Second Dog
  • Chasing Alaska: A Portrait of the Last Frontier Then and Now
  • Dead Lions (Slough House, #2)
  • Tales from the Loon Town Cafe
  • Auvreria
  • The Caretaker (Ranjit Singh, #1)
  • A Visitor's Guide to Victorian England
  • Brilliant Hues (From Sadie's Sketchbook #4)
  • The Real Verdict: My Quest for the Freedom I Never Had
  • A Personal Message From God
  • Echoes of my Soul
  • Stay Another Night
William Manchee is an attorney by trade and practices consumer law in Dallas with his son Jim. Originally from southern California, he now lives in Plano, Texas with his wife Janet of some 45 years. Manchee first discovered his passion for writing in 1995 when he started his first novel as a diversion from the stress of law practice. He loved writing so much he vowed then to write a novel every ye ...more
More about William Manchee...

Stan Turner (10 books)
  • Undaunted (Stan Turner, #1)
  • Brash Endeavor (Stan Turner, #2)
  • Cash Call
  • Deadly Distractions (Stan Turner, #5)
  • Black Monday (Stan Turner, #6)
  • Cactus Island (Stan Turner, #7)
  • Act Normal (Stan Turner, #8)
  • Disillusioned (Stan Turner, #9)
  • Deadly Defiance (Stan Turner, #10)
Conquest Earth (Tarizon Trilogy #3) Unconscionable (Richard Coleman, #3) Deadly Distractions (Stan Turner, #5) Brash Endeavor (Stan Turner, #2) Disillusioned (Stan Turner, #9)