Start by marking “One Deadly Summer” as Want to Read:
One Deadly Summer

One Deadly Summer

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  260 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Her name is Elaine, but the people in her small town know her simply as Elle. As a voluptuous as the photo of Marilyn Monroe she treasures, Elle is a dream of sex in the flesh - a dream she is willing to make come true for the men who adore her and the women who fear her. But Elle's path of sensual seduction leads not to the final act of love, but to the devastating stroke ...more
Published 1980 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt P (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about One Deadly Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Deadly Summer

Andy
Jul 28, 2011 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: B Monkey
Recommended to Andy by: Betty Blue
Shelves: kool-imports
Chilly tale about a promiscuous, inarticulate, amoral, drop-dead gorgeous girl who doesn’t flinch at the prospect of fucking and killing every man she meets, all held under the phony guise of vindicating a terrible injustice done to her mother. Needless to say she’s also schizo and throws fits periodically, just like Megan Fox on a bad day. Nobody does erotic noir (noirotica?) better than the French, and this is as sexy and deadly as it gets.
Mar 21, 2014 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This is one of Sebastian Japrisot's books that I had never read before. While I enjoyed the book, it's definitely not one of his strongest. The mystery is intriguing and I really wanted to find out what was going to happen, and there was a very good twist in the end, but I felt like it dragged a bit in places.

I liked the different perspectives that you got to read throughout the book and it was interesting to see the events unfold from each person's point of view. I liked that Japrisot made Elle
Keith Currie
What a superb novel this is! Set in Alpes-Maritimes in France in the 1970s it is a story of lust and revenge which leads the reader through a gamut of thoughts and emotions and fools him or her at every turn. Japrisot allows his story to be told through the mouths of the protagonists and signposts them as 'Executioner', 'Victim', 'Witness' etc. He tells no lies but allows us to fall into the same traps as the participants of the events which follow. This is really the story of two deadly summers ...more
Sacapsie
This took me way longer to read than it should have, considering how vapid the book is. It buries you in an endless torrent of irrelevant detail, and all the characters are neither likeable nor intelligent enough to care about. No reason to waste your time on this one.
Amina Bradley
Grabs your attention from the start. A bit confusing for several pages, but the more you read the more you are getting involved in a story. The characters are so realistic. Sad, dark story, excellent in my opinion.
Evelyn
The sad and devasting end gives something to think about: never hide anything from those you love.
william
My first French Mystery writer(actually knowing it)and I was surprised--feelings,not looking for overkill,not running from reading fatigue,only looking for another good journalistic soul,while having a little enjoyment reading hopefully a good worthwhile mystery--a pleasant surprise--this is my first of his books so I'll reserve further comment until further books-need I say more (ref.Patricia Cornwell-Jonathen Kellerman-)
anne
Une écriture incroyable. La voix d'Elle notamment est un tour de force. Je vais désormais utiliser des métaphores de durée sorties tout droit de ce livre.

J'ai (malheureusement) un petit problème avec le (view spoiler), et ça me chiffonne vraiment. Mais dès que quelqu'un m'explique, ce livre aura 5 étoiles. Je suis comme ça.
Lil' Grogan
Damn, that's some good story weaving. Clueless boy gets roped in by femme fatale - but what an interesting situation to plop them in. Liked the use of multiple first person narrators and the change of focus each brought. I think that allowed me to appreciate the timing of Rossi's story-telling more. Close to an awesome book except Elle was a tad bit over-developed in the lurid zone for me.
Shonna Froebel
Well-written, but disturbing.
Jacqueline
J'ai dévoré ce livre. L'histoire est haletante du début à la fin. Les personnages très bien étudiés. Le dénouement laisse sans voix. Comme un bon film (bon oui c'est dur de ne pas penser à Isabelle Adjani quand on le lit). Bref, j'ai adoré.
Ivan
J'ai voulu le lire, car j'ai d'abord vu le film.
Impressionnant, un grand classique des polars et des romans de vengeance, inspiré de Pagnol et bien d'autres passionnés de la Provence avant eux...
Heather
A fascinating and compelling tale of attraction, deception, sex and revenge.
Laurent Assouad
Thriller Litterature_francaise
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Cole Clouse
Cole Clouse marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Maba
Maba added it
May 03, 2015
Eugenia
Eugenia marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Monique
Monique is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2015
Irina
Irina marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
KH
KH added it
Mar 21, 2015
  • Trois carrés rouges sur fond noir
  • A Study in Terror
  • Fatale
  • Vertigo (NFT/BFI Film Classics)
  • Translation is a Love Affair
  • Regain
  • Бегущая по волнам
  • Dieu et nous seuls pouvons
  • Thumbprint
  • The Black Curtain
  • Gamiani, or Two Nights of Excess
  • De vierde man
  • The Maracot Deep
  • The Crimson Circle
  • Un peu plus loin sur la droite
  • The Burnt Orange Heresy
  • Sunlight on Cold Water
  • Aux fruits de la passion
Sébastien Japrisot was a French author, screenwriter and film director, born in Marseille. His pseudonym was an anagram of Jean-Baptiste Rossi, his real name. Japrisot has been nicknamed "the Graham Greene of France".
Famous in the Francophony, he was little known in the English-speaking world, though a number of his novels have been translated into English and have been made into films.
His first n
More about Sébastien Japrisot...
A Very Long Engagement The Lady in the Car with Glasses and a Gun Trap for Cinderella The Sleeping Car Murders Women in Evidence