Start by marking “One Deadly Summer” as Want to Read:
One Deadly Summer

One Deadly Summer

Her name is Elaine, but the people in her small town know her simply as Elle. As a voluptuous as the photo of Marilyn Monroe she treasures, Elle is a dream of sex in the flesh - a dream she is willing to make come true for the men who adore her and the women who fear her. But Elle's path of sensual seduction leads not to the final act of love, but to the devastating stroke ...more
Published 1980 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt P (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about One Deadly Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Deadly Summer

Andy
Jul 28, 2011 Andy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: B Monkey
Recommended to Andy by: Betty Blue
Shelves: kool-imports
Chilly tale about a promiscuous, inarticulate, amoral, drop-dead gorgeous girl who doesn’t flinch at the prospect of fucking and killing every man she meets, all held under the phony guise of vindicating a terrible injustice done to her mother. Needless to say she’s also schizo and throws fits periodically, just like Megan Fox on a bad day. Nobody does erotic noir (noirotica?) better than the French, and this is as sexy and deadly as it gets.
John King
Sep 02, 2016 John King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been rereading all of Japrisot again and L'ete meurtrier is my favorite. The narrative is layered, being told by four different characters, each one adding their own different perspective. For first time readers it takes nearly half the book understand exactly where it's going but it's sure fun and suspenseful getting there. The ending has many surprises for both the main characters, Elle and Pin Pon, and of course for the reader. A great book which also gives a taste village life in 1976 P ...more
Keith Currie
Mar 07, 2013 Keith Currie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a superb novel this is! Set in Alpes-Maritimes in France in the 1970s it is a story of lust and revenge which leads the reader through a gamut of thoughts and emotions and fools him or her at every turn. Japrisot allows his story to be told through the mouths of the protagonists and signposts them as 'Executioner', 'Victim', 'Witness' etc. He tells no lies but allows us to fall into the same traps as the participants of the events which follow. This is really the story of two deadly summers ...more
anne
Une écriture incroyable. La voix d'Elle notamment est un tour de force. Je vais désormais utiliser des métaphores de durée sorties tout droit de ce livre.

J'ai (malheureusement) un petit problème avec le (view spoiler), et ça me chiffonne vraiment. Mais dès que quelqu'un m'explique, ce livre aura 5 étoiles. Je suis comme ça.
Jacqueline
Oct 07, 2012 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J'ai dévoré ce livre. L'histoire est haletante du début à la fin. Les personnages très bien étudiés. Le dénouement laisse sans voix. Comme un bon film (bon oui c'est dur de ne pas penser à Isabelle Adjani quand on le lit). Bref, j'ai adoré.
Tony
Oct 31, 2016 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ONE DEADLY SUMMER. (1977). Sebastien Japrisot. ***1/2.
Just to get a few things out of the way: the name Sebastien Japrisot is an anagram of the author’s real name, Jean-Baptiste Rossi. I don’t know why he did that. He was a Frenchman, and, in his day, was one of the most popular writers around. Aside from writing several very successful novels, he was active in the world of film. All of his books were turned into feature films. My favorite was, “The Lady in the Car With Glasses and a Gun.” This
Naksed
Ayant lu ce livre il ya au moins vingt ans, je ne sais pas si j'aurais les mêmes sentiments à sa lecture aujourd'hui. Je me souviens à l'époque d'avoir vraiment aimé ce roman, ainsi que le film avec Isabelle Adjani. Les rebondissements de cette histoire m'avait complètement choqué et captivé. Je me rappelle aussi que le style de l'écrivain m'avait bien plu. Mes goûts ont bien sûr beaucoup changé depuis. Je laisse une évaluation positive basée sur ma mémoire et mon souvenir d'avoir passé quelques ...more
Sharon McNeil
Oct 31, 2016 Sharon McNeil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent noir in the heart of France!
Frumenty
Oct 01, 2016 Frumenty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french
I've read quite a few novels in French (this will be the 24th review of a book in French that I've done for Goodreads), and I don't think I've read one yet that I've found as engaging as L'été meurtrier. It's the sort of book that occupies your mind when you're not reading it, so the appetite to read more is constantly renewed. The novel is set in the 1970s. The characters are salty, self-reliant, small town people of the Alpes-Maritime region (the hinterland of Nice and Marseille). The entire n ...more
Mar 21, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This is one of Sebastian Japrisot's books that I had never read before. While I enjoyed the book, it's definitely not one of his strongest. The mystery is intriguing and I really wanted to find out what was going to happen, and there was a very good twist in the end, but I felt like it dragged a bit in places.

I liked the different perspectives that you got to read throughout the book and it was interesting to see the events unfold from each person's point of view. I liked that Japrisot made Elle
Lavinia
Dec 03, 2016 Lavinia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very nicely built, the story unveils itself gradually only to the beauty of the grand finale surprise. Well defined and mesmerizing characters. I was lucky enough to read it in French, the language is a pleasure to read, especially for Elle - at least to the degree to which me, as a non native speaker, I can catch it. Great recommendation, very happy I got to read it.
Anna
May 04, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While reading the book, I didn't really know what to feel. It was so complicated at times, and the perspective switches made it very hard to move on. However, they were necessary to understand the entire story.

At times, I've held my breath, thinking 'NO, that can't be it'
Horrible things happened, strange people were represented, which made it rather hard to empathise with them, especially with 'Elle'.

If it wasn't for school, I would've never read this book, but it is one of the better works we'
william
Aug 07, 2010 william rated it really liked it
My first French Mystery writer(actually knowing it)and I was surprised--feelings,not looking for overkill,not running from reading fatigue,only looking for another good journalistic soul,while having a little enjoyment reading hopefully a good worthwhile mystery--a pleasant surprise--this is my first of his books so I'll reserve further comment until further books-need I say more (ref.Patricia Cornwell-Jonathen Kellerman-)
Lil' Grogan
Sep 05, 2011 Lil' Grogan rated it really liked it
Damn, that's some good story weaving. Clueless boy gets roped in by femme fatale - but what an interesting situation to plop them in. Liked the use of multiple first person narrators and the change of focus each brought. I think that allowed me to appreciate the timing of Rossi's story-telling more. Close to an awesome book except Elle was a tad bit over-developed in the lurid zone for me.
Amina Bradley
Aug 13, 2014 Amina Bradley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grabs your attention from the start. A bit confusing for several pages, but the more you read the more you are getting involved in a story. The characters are so realistic. Sad, dark story, excellent in my opinion.
Sacapsie
Mar 16, 2014 Sacapsie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This took me way longer to read than it should have, considering how vapid the book is. It buries you in an endless torrent of irrelevant detail, and all the characters are neither likeable nor intelligent enough to care about. No reason to waste your time on this one.
Ivan
May 23, 2013 Ivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J'ai voulu le lire, car j'ai d'abord vu le film.
Impressionnant, un grand classique des polars et des romans de vengeance, inspiré de Pagnol et bien d'autres passionnés de la Provence avant eux...
Meirav
Meirav rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2013
Gone
Gone rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2013
Juliette
Juliette rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2009
Marion
Marion rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2010
Arvena
Arvena rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Irma Balla
Irma Balla rated it it was ok
Oct 08, 2014
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
May 29, 2014
Eva K
Eva K rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2015
Marie
Marie rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2011
Pauline
Pauline rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2016
Elza
Elza rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2016
Mathieu Dauphinais
Mathieu Dauphinais rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Pierre Mestdag
Pierre Mestdag rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Trois carrés rouges sur fond noir
  • Autobiographie d'une Courgette
  • Thumbprint
  • Fatale
  • The Crimson Circle
  • The Maracot Deep
  • Dieu et nous seuls pouvons
  • The Unexpected Hanging and Other Mathematical Diversions
Sébastien Japrisot was a French author, screenwriter and film director, born in Marseille. His pseudonym was an anagram of Jean-Baptiste Rossi, his real name. Japrisot has been nicknamed "the Graham Greene of France".
Famous in the Francophony, he was little known in the English-speaking world, though a number of his novels have been translated into English and have been made into films.
His first n
More about Sébastien Japrisot...