Start by marking “Uno zoo d'inverno” as Want to Read:
Uno zoo d'inverno

Uno zoo d'inverno

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  273 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Kioto, 1966. El joven Hamaguchi trabaja en una fábrica de textiles. Cansado de no poder satisfacer su pasión por el dibujo, se despide y se marcha a Tokio. Allí, un estudio de manga le ofrece una oportunidad, al mismo tiempo que descubre la vida nocturna y los ambientes artísticos de la ciudad. Pero el trabajo de ayudante de mangaka es extenuante y Hamaguchi pronto se da c...more
Published 2010 by Rizzoli :Lizard (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Uno zoo d'inverno, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uno zoo d'inverno

Mariel
Dec 26, 2013 Mariel rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: would not take sides
Recommended to Mariel by: He would not be moved
My goal wasn't especially to do sketches...
...but, somehow or other, this is where I'd end up.

This is a story about a teenage kid who knows what he wants. He knows that he doesn't want to work in a textile office. He wants to do something with pictures, maybe. Maybe he wants to sit on a bench and draw the animals in the zoo. If he has a day off he might like to do that. If his boss says chaperon my wayward daughter so she doesn't get into trouble. If he loses his job because she ran off on her h...more
Audeline
"Un zoo en hiver" m'a changé de mes lectures de manga habituelles. Je suis plutôt dans Monster, Nana voire Cyborg Kuro Chan: des histoires qui n'ont rien à voir avec celle-ci. "Un zoo..." raconte comment Taniguchi (on m'a dit que c'était son histoire) est devenu mangaka, ses difficultés à trouver un sujet. C'est une histoire toute simple, l'histoire de beaucoup de mangaka certainement, très poétique et romantique. Je n'ai jamais lu aucune de ses histoires mais celle-ci m'a donné envie de découvr...more
Vale
Taniguchi coglie il momento decisivo come Cartier-Bresson nella fotografia: i momenti che sembrano inutili ai più, dischiudono l'essenza del vivere ai suoi personaggi.
Come farà a disegnare anche il silenzio?
Vicki
I love Jiro Taniguchi's quiet nostalgic books, and this delivers that feeling to a tee.

I think this book is semi-autobiographical, but either way it's about a young man and how he begins his career as a manga artist in Tokyo.

This book has a very different feel to a lot of other manga published in English. Its a bit more sedate and covers experiences that many adults have had (e.g. the strangeness of moving to a new city and changing your lifestyle for a job). However, if that sounds a bit boring...more
Estara
Oct 21, 2011 Estara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Taniguchi and people with an interest in the Japanese manga szene in the late 60s
Shelves: manga, read-in-2011
Very handsome edition, but why the heck did they have to flip the content? Both French and English manga lovers know how to read it the correct way and it makes following the speech bubbles quite awkward sometimes.

The translation is workman-like to me, probably because the Japanese honorifics were gotten rid off as well. I wonder if they're simply trying to market this as a comic, as opposed to a manga. Hmm.

Taniguchi's alter ego at 18 to 20 is as stoic of face as his protagonists usually seem to...more
Jim
Is Taniguchi the world's greatest living artist working in the medium of comics? That's a question I ask myself every time I read one of his works. The combination of exquisite craftsmanship and masterful storytelling is pretty much hard to compare, at least from my perspective. Granted, his work might not be everyone's cup of tea. Maybe when it comes to comics or manga, you like stuff that's big and loud and genre oriented. But to be able to tell quiet, subtle, human level stories with such sub...more
Clodjee
Ce manga nous en apprend un peu sur le travail d'assistant mangaka mais, fidèle à ses habitudes, Jirō TANIGUCHI se concentre surtout sur le quotidien (toujours à travers une perspective assez contemplative, introspective et nostalgique) et, dans ce cas particulier, sur les relations personnelles.

Le récit d'Un zoo en hiver est excellent et l'histoire nous est racontée avec une grande maîtrise. Mais Taniguchi nous a déjà démontré ses talents narratif à maintes reprises. Ce qui m'a vraiment impres...more
Hollowspine
This was a very subdued and emotion filled book. Our protagonist Hamaguchi is a young man who at first lacks much motivation or direction in his life. He just lets life carry him following it wherever it leads, but lacking conviction or ambition.

Inspiration comes to him in the form of a young girl, then his life begins to change. In some ways it was similar to the popular Shounen Jump title "Bakuman" as it is about a young manga assistant trying to get beyond just filling in the blacks and draw...more
Mika Lietzén
Nuori mies tahtoo mangakaksi 60-luvun Japanissa, siinä sivussa juopotellaan, kestitään isoveljeä ja tavataan tyttö. Taniguchin tapaan meno on hillittyä ja tarina hiipii päälle, vasta lopussa painovoima alkaa tuntua. Hahmojakaan ei päästetä helpolla, usempien kohdalla ensivaikutelma johtaa harhaan ja todellinen persoona piilee pinnan alla. Skenehistoriointi saattaa jotakuta liikuttaa, vaikka tuttuahan tää muistelugenre jo on (vrt. Eisner, Tatsumi, Pussey). Ei kenties ihan Distant Neighborhoodin t...more
Nora Quinlan
Read the English edition very good story with a nice loop back on becoming an adult
Andrea Cattaneo
Un giovane disegnatore finisce, dopo varie peripezie lavorative, impiegato come assistente nello studio di un famoso mangaka. Siamo sul finire degli anni '60, un periodo di grande fermento artistico anche per il mondo del fumetto giapponese. Il protagonista - tra mille peripezie, bevute, delusioni, invidie, nottate passate a lavorare e amori andati male - finirà col crescere diventando adulto e fumettista a sua volta. Il tratto è elegante e molto curato, forse paragonato ai manga contemporanei r...more
Pernille
Quiet little tale about growing up and standing by your choices.
Cameron
look I moved out last year to make my fortunes in the adult world and I needed this
Géraldine
Taniguchi est entre le manga et la bd occidentale. Cette histoire est, comme tjs avec lui, à la fois poétique et pudique. Le dessin est soigné, ce qui n'est pas tjs la cas, loin de là dans les mangas, et l'histoire est belle. Il parle ici de ses premières années en tant que assistant dessinateur de mangas, de ses premières années d'indépendance, ses premiers boulots, premières sortie et premier amour. Un joli roman d'apprentissage.
Une valeur sure de la bande dessinée japonaise.
Txinnih
Normalmente siempre me gusta lo que leo de Taniguchi. Es suave, tierno y sentimental. Me encanta ver los interiores de las casas de Japón y las costumbres que se intuyen. Un zoo en invierno trata de la época de adolescente del autor a través de un alter ego al que llaman Hamaguchi,en la que se muestra su vocación de dibujante y sus inicios en la profesión.
Badr Al Ghamlasi
A semi- autobiography of one of Japan's greatest mangakas. The story is neither too deep nor shallow, Taniguchi, did a great job keeping it very interesting & refreshing to read (especially if you're a fan of 1960's Japan like me) . Unfortunately the manga ends abruptly when the story was at its best.
Eric
I'm not much into straightforward autobiographical comics. But Jiro Taniguchi is able to elevate his memoir into something special. A Drifting Life and Bakuman have their unique charms, but I prefer this book's insights into the dreams (and heartbreaks) of an aspiring mangaka.

Elsa
The only reason this does not get 5 stars is that it is flipped. What's up with that? Everyone's left handed and the dialog is hard to follow. Otherwise this is an understated and beautifully drawn memoir of the author's life as a young man and the start of his career in manga.
Keith
i've been wanting to read something buy this guy for a long time so i was excited when i saw this at the library. after reading the first few chapters i kinda expected it to be told like "a drifting life". i actually enjoyed this more but they're only superficially related.
Emilia P
Eh. It's rough to be a sensitive young Japanese guy and an aspiring mangaka. I guess I liked the love stories in this, but it felt sort of intentionally bland. So, I get why it's great and artists memoiry, but it wasn't for me. More Monsters, ala Nononba, please.
Andrés Santiago
Le doy 4 estrellas por el dibujo, que es una maravilla. El guión es un poco lento, aunque interesante para descubrir el mundo de los dibujantes de manga, sobre todo antes de que el manga saliera de Japón. Taniguchi nunca defrauda.
Reyzl
Fantástico Taniguchi una vez más. Me encanta como cuenta las historias. Sus personajes son muy cercanos. Sus viñetas respiran paz y honestidad, sus textos son conmovedores y sencillos como la vida misma.
Mary  Goodnight
Encore un merveilleux récit d'apprentissage, empreint de mélancolie et de nostalgie, qui m'a émue jusqu'aux larmes. Quel grand monsieur, ce Taniguchi...
Florence Carre
Bon, rien de nouveau sous le soleil de Taniguchi... oui, oeuvre personnelle, mais on n'est plus surpris, on connait trop, trop bien????
pierlapo  quimby
Forse un pelo squilibrato nella sceneggiatura, ma lieve e sincero come sempre, questo scorcio autobiografico di Taniguchi.
Rather Dashing
Simply masterful in every way--not a single word or image wasted in this simple yet heart-rendingly beautiful story.
Mips
Semi-autobiografisch liefdesverhaal waarin Taniguchi je een blik gunt in de tekenateliers van de Japanse mangaka's.
Jan
Beautiful in its subdued masterful way
Danielboss
Danielboss marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Aa2013
Aa2013 marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
  • NonNonBa
  • A Drifting Life
  • Arrugas
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 008 (Pluto, #8)
  • The Book of Human Insects
  • The Drops of God 1 (The Drops of God, #1-2)
  • House of Five Leaves, Vol. 1
  • Cross Game 1 (Cross Game, #1-3)
  • Le goût du chlore
  • Sunny, Vol. 1
  • Solanin
Name (in native language): 谷口ジロー
Zodiac: Leo

He began to work as assistant of the late mangaka Kyota Ishikawa.
He made his manga debut in 1970 with Kareta Heya (A Desiccated Summer), published in the magazine Young Comic.
From 1976 to 1979, he created several hard-boiled comics with the scenarist Natsuo Sekigawa, such as City Without Defense, The Wind of the West is White and Lindo 3.
From 1984 to 199...more
More about Jirō Taniguchi...
A Distant Neighborhood, Vol. 1 Quartier lointain The Walking Man A Distant Neighborhood, Vol. 2 El almanaque de mi padre