4th of July, Asbury Park: A History of the Promised Land

4th of July, Asbury Park: A History of the Promised Land

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The story of the boardwalk town Bruce Springsteen made famous-and a quintessential portrait of small-town American democracy.

When Bruce Springsteen called his first album Greetings from Asbury Park, he introduced a generation of fans to a fallen seaside resort town that came to represent working-class American life. But behind this archetypal small-town landscape lies a co...more
Published July 4th 2005 by Bloomsbury USA

To ask other readers questions about 4th of July, Asbury Park, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 4th of July, Asbury Park

Christine
Asbury Park was my main haunt while I lived in New Jersey. The first time I drove through Asbury Park, it was just surreal. The rusted, unfinished skeleton of a highrise condo loomed out of an eerie fog rolling in off the ocean. The place was a mess, the decaying remains of a Victorian-era amusement park and resort town.

I loved it. It was full of broken dreams and bad deals. It reminded me of Cleveland.
Rich
If you have an interest in history, music, the New Jersey Shore (sans Snooky and The Situation), capitalism, segregation, Puritanism, racial issues, religion, Stephen Crane, literature, Asbury Park, urban renewal, municipal government, political corruption, Bruce Springsteen, or the tragedy and vacuousness of American values and hope, I'd highly recommend this book.
Jeff
This is an interesting read about the history of Asbury Park, how it came to be, and it's slow and steady collapse. There are some definite oddities to the town yet it also sounds like many other boomtowns across the USA.
E
Eloquent and depressing, about a city that has captured my imagination. Slightly more dry than I would prefer, but overall fascinating and thoroughly researched.
Mkmsales
Fascinating info on a place I visited often. Adds a different perspective on events I saw from way outside. Very insightful.
Christopher
Growing up in an area in economic, physical, and social decline, "you gotta get out while you're young."
Mary Clark
I loved this book! great weaving of local Jersey shore history, music history and social history.
J
A wonderful history of what Asbury Park always aspired to be but never quite managed.
Carol Lutjens
Fascinating read!
Asdeghik
Asdeghik marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Bill B
Bill B added it
Jan 04, 2014
Felina
Felina marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 12, 2013
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
Kevin
Kevin added it
Oct 09, 2013
Barbara Strate
Barbara Strate marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Grammy-nominated author Daniel Wolff's latest book is "The Fight for Home: How (Parts of) New Orleans Came Back." His previous books include "How Lincoln Learned to Read,""4th of July/Asbury Park" and "You Send Me: The Life and Times of Sam Cooke.""
More about Daniel Wolff...
How Lincoln Learned to Read: Twelve Great Americans and the Educations That Made Them The Fight for Home: How (Parts of) New Orleans Came Back Negro League Baseball Work Sonnets You Send Me: The Life And Times Of Sam Cooke