Start by marking “4th of July, Asbury Park: A History of the Promised Land” as Want to Read:
4th of July, Asbury Park: A History of the Promised Land

4th of July, Asbury Park: A History of the Promised Land

The story of the boardwalk town Bruce Springsteen made famous-and a quintessential portrait of small-town American democracy.

When Bruce Springsteen called his first album Greetings from Asbury Park, he introduced a generation of fans to a fallen seaside resort town that came to represent working-class American life. But behind this archetypal small-town landscape lies a co
Published July 4th 2005 by Bloomsbury USA

To ask other readers questions about 4th of July, Asbury Park, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 4th of July, Asbury Park

Christine
Mar 20, 2008 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Asbury Park was my main haunt while I lived in New Jersey. The first time I drove through Asbury Park, it was just surreal. The rusted, unfinished skeleton of a highrise condo loomed out of an eerie fog rolling in off the ocean. The place was a mess, the decaying remains of a Victorian-era amusement park and resort town.

I loved it. It was full of broken dreams and bad deals. It reminded me of Cleveland.
Rich Flammer
May 23, 2010 Rich Flammer rated it it was amazing
If you have an interest in history, music, the New Jersey Shore (sans Snooky and The Situation), capitalism, segregation, Puritanism, racial issues, religion, Stephen Crane, literature, Asbury Park, urban renewal, municipal government, political corruption, Bruce Springsteen, or the tragedy and vacuousness of American values and hope, I'd highly recommend this book.
Jen
May 11, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it
Mark
Jun 11, 2016 Mark rated it really liked it
Excellent book by historian Daniel Wolff, which uses the 4th of July date to frame several points in the civic and musical history of this famous city by the shore. Two minor shortcomings: parts of the book are a little dense with detail, and the history ends at 2005 (the book was written in 2009). I would like to see an updated paperback version that takes in Asbury Park's current revival.
Jeff
Jul 07, 2013 Jeff rated it really liked it
This is an interesting read about the history of Asbury Park, how it came to be, and it's slow and steady collapse. There are some definite oddities to the town yet it also sounds like many other boomtowns across the USA.
E
Nov 08, 2013 E rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, non-fiction
Eloquent and depressing, about a city that has captured my imagination. Slightly more dry than I would prefer, but overall fascinating and thoroughly researched.
Mkmsales
Apr 26, 2009 Mkmsales rated it really liked it
Fascinating info on a place I visited often. Adds a different perspective on events I saw from way outside. Very insightful.
Christopher
Growing up in an area in economic, physical, and social decline, "you gotta get out while you're young."
Danny Alexander
Danny Alexander rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2013
Sheena
Sheena rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2013
Ivan
Ivan rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2012
David Garboski
David Garboski rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2009
Colin
Colin rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Deedie Gustavson
Deedie Gustavson rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2007
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2012
Anthony Grasso
Anthony Grasso rated it it was ok
Feb 28, 2016
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2012
Erik
Erik rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Susie Stroud
Susie Stroud rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Jared
Jared rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2007
Shauna Parker
Shauna Parker rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2009
Eric Schumacher-rasmussen
Eric Schumacher-rasmussen rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2011
Josh Kinney
Josh Kinney rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2008
Andrew Eberle
Andrew Eberle rated it really liked it
May 09, 2009
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2015
Brendan McSherry
Brendan McSherry rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Grammy-nominated author Daniel Wolff's latest book is "The Fight for Home: How (Parts of) New Orleans Came Back." His previous books include "How Lincoln Learned to Read,""4th of July/Asbury Park" and "You Send Me: The Life and Times of Sam Cooke.""
More about Daniel Wolff...