Start by marking “Cover the Butter” as Want to Read:
Cover the Butter

Cover the Butter

3.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  317 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Kate Cadogan's teenage son has just broken her heart. Her husband, on the other hand, just breaks her spirit. It's time for Kate to journey back and trace the path that got her to this point-her obsessively controlling mother and weak-willed father; the best friends and boyfriends; the career choices, food choices, hair choices, and all the other twists and turns that led ...more
Published May 2nd 2006 by NAL Trade (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Cover the Butter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cover the Butter

Meg
Nov 30, 2010 Meg rated it really liked it
Carrie Kabak's Cover The Butter is the story of one woman's coming-of-age: the twists, turns and broken relationships that brought her to that wrecked kitchen in what was once her marital home. We're introduced to her controlling and manipulative mother, Biddy; her mousy but attentive father, Tom; her Scottish grandparents, the true heroes of this story, Mamgu and Griff; and Kate's best friends from school, Moira and Ingrid. We travel back in time to when Kate was a teen herself, standing comp ...more
Beth
As an audio book, the reader's voice was so annoying at first that I did not think I would make it to the end. I'm glad I got over that and was really able to enjoy the story and characters. The book was not what I thought it would be after reading the jacket description. About 3/4 of the book is a retelling of Kate Cadogan's life that explains how she got to the opening scene in the story where she is fed up with where she is at in her life and marriage and is at a decision point. Poor Kate has ...more
Feb 24, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Not much happened in this book, but for some reason it was still hellishly interesting.!
Jan 14, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it
This is another one of those books that really stuck with me. I still think of it - how the girl is describing her relationships with boys (trying to please them)and her relationship with her mother, who surely suffers from some mental disorder. There is some aspect of guilt, too. Plus I read this just as I myself turned 40, and I loved reading a book with a heroine of my own age.

Keep in mind I'm a sucker for books set in the UK, and this one has a Welsh grandma,so I identified with it even more
Misha
Mar 07, 2013 Misha rated it liked it
BookList: Kate Cadogan returns home from vacation to find her home utterly trashed from a party thrown by her rebellious teenage son. When both the son and Kate’s husband are completely indifferent to the carnage, she realizes that her life needs to change. Flash back to her adolescence in a small town in 1960s England, where she and her Catholic school chums daydream about clothes, independence, and boys, boys, boys. Her critical, controlling mother is fanatically opposed to teenage dating, yet ...more
Nicole
Mar 27, 2008 Nicole rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Marian Keyes who would like something slightly more serious
First of all, I got this book for ONE dollar. The cover caught my attention in the clearance section at Half Price Books. That being said, I did not know much about it so I was thrilled when I found out the book was a. British and b. Beautifully written.

Kate is a character who you feel sorry for and cheer for at the same time. She is pathetic enough to come across as human, but not pathetic enough to cause disdain in the reader.

The humor struck just the right tone in the book. Often in books ab
melydia
Nov 14, 2008 melydia rated it really liked it
This is the story of Kate, a doormat. Most of her life is spent under her mother's thumb in some way or another, and that need for approval from the one person in her life least willing to give it forces Kate into a slew of bad decisions throughout her life. That's not to say this book is all depressing, though sometimes it was a bit frustrating to see Kate putting up with such poor treatment. There are also parts that are touching, like Kate's eternally devoted grandparents, and parts that are ...more
Elise
Sep 01, 2009 Elise rated it it was ok
UGH this book was infuriating. Maybe it's the fact that I didn't understand and couldn't relate to the family dynamic AT ALL. Maybe it's the fact that I wanted to smack the holy crap out of the protagonist. And her mom. Maybe it's the fact that I wanted this novel to have depth beyond the 'woman comes of age and finally makes herself happy (sortof)' + martha stewart domestic drivel. But it didn't. Plus the ending made me want to throw it across the room. Wow, this has turned into quite a rant, h ...more
Kate Harding
Feb 08, 2012 Kate Harding rated it liked it
I picked this up because I was standing dumbly in the fiction isle at our tiny library, Cooper was not listening and running down isles and Kellan wouldn't stop trying to pull books off the shelf. I desperately needed something to read and this was the only spine that stuck out. I grabbed it and went. I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It's the story of Kate Cadogan who grew up in the 60's and 70's in England under oppressive parents, private school nuns, and lots of self-doubt. I lo ...more
Alistair
Dec 04, 2014 Alistair rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A likeable heroine and crackling good dialogue make up for a somewhat unadventurous plot. The first part of the novel is particularly good describing Kate's teenage years under an especially memorable mum.
Christina
Wow....wow!! Amazing. This book is certainly not for everyone, but it really hit home for me..it could almost be my memoir. The story is touching, sad, and funny all at once. It is so full of emotion that I was barely able to detach myself from it. Kate is a genuine heroine that I both related to and felt for.

The writing is in journal entry style and has a beautiful flow. The characters are so well developed, that I really felt like i knew them.

If you have ever dealt with parents you can never
Melissa
Sep 11, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
Interesting family saga of Kate, starting in the 60s to the present day. Kate pretty whiny and the pace really dragged at times.
Petula Darling
Dec 07, 2015 Petula Darling rated it it was ok
Synopsis:
A mopey doormat mopes a lot.
Jill Manske
Mar 26, 2012 Jill Manske rated it liked it
It took awhile for me to warm up to this book. But it definitely hits its stride about halfway through. The characters are quirky, interesting and well-written. It's about seriously dysfunctional families and how those early family relationships shape all future relationships. The main character is very repressed and unsure of herself, leading to her being very easily manipulated by her mother and then by her husband. Ultimately, she's much stronger than she thinks she is (and stronger than we e ...more
Catsalive
Mar 25, 2015 Catsalive rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
3.5 ...more
Lindsay
A weird title, but once you read the book, it makes more sense. The book follows the life of a British female, starting when she's a teen and through her adult years. I was really into it, but got really annoyed with the girl's parents, because they were kind of mean, and her husband wasn't any better. I just wanted her to stand up for herself, and she finally does, only took a couple hundred pages. So I'm kind of iffy about it. It makes British men seem kind of like buttheads. Maybe I don't wan ...more
Jill
Jan 29, 2013 Jill rated it it was ok
I don't think this will spoil anything since it's on the book jacket...

I really wish that this book would've been less misery, more revelation. I was listening to it on CD and by about CD #6 I had to pick up the case and read why I chose this book again because everyone around her treats her so miserably and her life is so... miserable. I was about to quit, but it assured me she was going to break free. It got to be so exhausting to listen to. I just wanted her to turn the corner and free hersel
Jessica
Jul 30, 2011 Jessica rated it it was ok
This book was easy to read...took me about 1/2 the book to really get into it, but then it was enjoyable. Definitely a book for women, especially women who have had issues with their moms/dads or husbands. The main character's life just hasn't turned out the way she wants it to, but she's tried to do her best, so it's very relatable (in my opinion). While it's not exactly artistic or amazing, if you're into chick lit, you'll find it an easy, fairly enjoyable read.
Stephanie Knudson
Oct 24, 2011 Stephanie Knudson rated it liked it
This book was so fascinating to me because it took place in England. The culture was completely different from mine which I loved. It was a bit lengthy at times, and I sometimes had to skim read to get through the lengthier chapters. But, I really felt myself laughing and loving with Kate. She was incredibly realistic, and I couldn't help but fall in love with her, and really feel for her. Good book. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a motivational story.
Robin
Jun 30, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I picked it off the library shelf and read the cover summary. I thought it would be a funny, fluffy, book. It really is more than that. Anyone who has a rocky relationship with their mothers will instantly be drawn to it. Even though it took Kate 45 years to realize she's been manipulated, good for her for at least figuring it out. How many of us get to old age and still haven't done something about it.
C. Ohara
Dec 13, 2010 C. Ohara rated it really liked it
This book was great. Hard not to give it 5 stars. I read it in about 4 days, more than half the book in one night...because I couldn't wait to see how Kate turned out. Loved all the UK references about food and growing there, I was looking up all the food on-line to see what it is. The way the author writes is addicting, you just want to read more. Cheers to the character Katers and her friends too, they were hilarious.
Lee
I have consistently not liked chick lit very much. There is a reason for this. The protagonists never seem able to save themselves, let alone figure out how their lives got to this pass and how to fix it. This book was no exception; it read as if Kate just let everything happen to her and only started to become a conscious actor towards the end.

To revert to my usual patois: Dude, seriously.
Charlotte
Jan 17, 2011 Charlotte rated it it was ok
Shelves: bookclub-reads
Oddly, when I went to add this to my profile, it claimed I'd already read it, for bookclub, in Feb 2006. Although I hadn't rated it then, I'm now giving it a 2 since I had no recollection of reading it before! I enjoyed parts of it but was a little disappointed in the end. Wish I remembered what I thought the first time around!
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Kate is a doormat - I totally sympathise - my relationship with my mother was not quite extreme in my teens but close and we have all compromised to please family instead of ourselves at some point. There were moments when I wanted to smack Kate but a lot of the time I laughed instead. Full of pathos and humour its an easy read.
Cindy
Jul 21, 2011 Cindy added it
I think it sucked. I read the reviews here and on the book, and I found it depressing to read. Kate the doormat sums it up. Her mom, the B**** also describes this novel, which hurt my heart to read. Someone should've stood up for Kate. Her dad. Herself. I find these kinds of books about 'bless your heart' women pitiful and unreadable.
Josie
Jun 02, 2013 Josie rated it really liked it
This book was reccomended to me back in 2007, and I only managed to get my hands on a copy last year. Great read, full of dry wit, laughs and tears.
If you have ever talked back to your mother, chosen the wrong guy or lied about sleeping at a friends house...this book is for you!!
Jan
Jun 04, 2009 Jan rated it did not like it
Shelves: boring, library-copy
Didn't finish this book past the 100 pages I gave it...just couldn't get into it and it had such potential too. Normally, I don't mind flashbacks but this one irritated me no end and I have too many really exciting books waiting for me to waste any more time. Sorry Carrie.
Sandee
Aug 12, 2010 Sandee rated it liked it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
One of the other reviewers summed this up well in saying it's a story of an annoyingly weak woman. Funny parts, some heavy subject matter with dysfunctional family and marriage. Kate finally stands up for herself (sort of) and then the book ends.
Kim
Oct 15, 2009 Kim rated it liked it
I enjoyed the way this story unfolded, almost enough to give it 4 stars but I can't quite do it. Interesting thoughts, somewhat meaningful in the grand scheme of things, but mostly just a story that reads nicely. And there is nothing wrong with that.
Justin Wheeler
Apr 28, 2011 Justin Wheeler rated it liked it
An intimate portrait of the trajectory of a young girls life growing up in a deeply conservative and repressive home. Not the best book I have ever read, but considering I read it several years ago and still remember it I must have enjoyed it.
  • The Transformation
  • The Idea Factory: Learning to Think at MIT
  • This Is Not Civilization
  • Between Two Seas
  • War Against the Animals
  • The Africa House: The True Story of an English Gentleman and His African Dream
  • The Professor's Daughter: A Novel
  • The Best American Essays 2006
  • The Virgin of Flames
  • The Art of the Short Story
  • Vodka
  • Cut and Run (Whit Mosley, #3)