Centauri Dawn

Centauri Dawn (Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri #1)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  7 reviews
After a forty-year journey from an Earth left teetering on the brink of nuclear Armageddon, the United Nations colonial Starship "Unity" reaches the lone habitable planet orbiting Alph Centauri's primary star, bringing with it the hope of a new beginning for the human race.

Hope turns to ashes when, on final approach to the new world, a mysterious malfunction damages the

Published December 1st 2000 by Pocket Books

melydia
I have never played the video game on which this book is based (Alpha Centauri) nor its more famous predecessor, Civilization. This probably hampered my enjoyment. Though you do not need to be familiar with the games to understand the plot, I suspect that anyone not obsessed with the game will feel much the way I did: meh. Basically, Earth is tearing apart itself with war so a colony ship is sent off to another planet. It breaks up in space and each pod, holding roughly one thousand people and o...more
Oliver
I bought the Alpha Centauri PC game way back in the late 90s. The addiction that fueled more late nights than I care to admit echoes well after that last turn and I've played it at least once a year since. While I appreciate the great lengths the game went through to personalize the experience, the voiceovers can only carry you so far. On this latest playthrough - over 12 years after the game was released - I thought it would be fun to take the next step. Centauri Dawn does a pretty good job get...more
Katy
I really liked this book, a lot. It was written by an acquaintance of my husband, based on a computer game that they helped make. This is the first of the trilogy, and I think the strongest. The central theme of this first book (apart from colonizing a new planet) was peace and family and personal stability. These are themes that I find strike very close to home for me. Ok, full disclosure: I was crying for the last 10 pages of the book, and probably a good 5 minutes after that, too. Maybe I'm j...more
Kaffa
Centauri Dawn, by Michael Ely.
Everyone knows me to be a bit of a nerd. So when I heard there was a book trilogy based off one of my favorite games, I decided to check it out. There are only two parts I don't like: 1 It doesn't tell much about the alien ecosystem. 2 My favorite character doesn't really do anything.
That's just me. Everything else is great. I won't spoil the ending, but let me tell you, it's pretty good. A lot of people hated it, but I enjoyed the ending.
Margaret
Aug 07, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2008
I thought the premise was good (which is why I decided to read the book) but I did get weary of the endless battle scenes. Since this book was based on a video game, it makes sense that there are a lot of battle scenes of course, just not quite my cup of tea. Also I thought that the character development was lacking - probably not the most well-written book I've read!
Joe
This book was terrible. I quit about halfway through despite being a huge fan of the game. The writing was cardboard, the characters were vacant and the adventure was sucked clean out! I got it used on Amazon for $0.01 and want my money back. Do something else with your time.
E.S. Wynn
Decent, better than I expected it to be, but felt a little rushed or patched up with game references in places. Neat to be able to read some of the backstory for Alpha Centauri.
Jerry Roys
Despite (or maybe due to) being a huge fan of the game, this was a very disappointing book.
Thurman
Thurman marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Koen Crolla
Koen Crolla marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Tiago
Tiago marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
William
William marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Melani Roberson
Melani Roberson marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Theerapat Charoensuk
Theerapat Charoensuk marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
John Cooley
John Cooley marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Jim Burakiewicz
Jim Burakiewicz marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Trevor
Trevor added it
Apr 27, 2014
Ali Çetinbudaklar
Ali Çetinbudaklar marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Clemens Lode
Clemens Lode is currently reading it
Apr 01, 2014
Pragash
Pragash marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Elly
Elly added it
Feb 02, 2014
Steven Denn
Steven Denn is currently reading it
Jan 13, 2014