Start by marking “The Body in the Library” as Want to Read:
The Body in the Library

The Body in the Library (Miss Marple #3)

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  42,040 Ratings  ·  1,774 Reviews
The Queen of Mystery has come to Harper Collins! Agatha Christie, the acknowledged mistress of suspense—creator of indomitable sleuth Miss Marple, meticulous Belgian detective Hercule Poirot, and so many other unforgettable characters—brings her entire oeuvre of ingenious whodunits, locked room mysteries, and perplexing puzzles to Harper Paperbacks. The Body in the Library ...more
Published April 12th 2011 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published February 1942)

To ask other readers questions about The Body in the Library, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Virginia
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Bill Arnold To provide a (false) dead "Ruby" body which would validate the alibis of Mark and Josie.

Mansuriah Hassan
I confess to absolutely loving Dame Agatha Christie's books. I find the coziness of them very soothing. Miss Marple's character becomes more rounded as we see her interact with her friends. Even though there were less action in this book, but I don't think that dooms it to being a bad book, it's just a change of pace, which is often refreshing.

In the author's foreword Christie writes: "I laid down for myself certain conditions. The library in question must be a highly orthodox and conventional l
Barry Pierce
There's a small note to the reader at the very beginning of this novel in which Agatha Christie basically writes, "the trope of the body in the library is very common throughout detective fiction so I wrote this novel to fuck shit up". Good old Agatha. This is a Miss Marple story... well... I think it is, because our beloved Miss Jane Marple is in fact missing from quite a lot of this novel. Thankfully the crime is exciting enough for us to overlook that minor setback. It's a classic Christie, f ...more
James
It had been a while since I read an Agatha Christie novel. I combed through the list of her work and thought to myself... I'm not actually sure if I ever read this one. And it turned out, I hadn't! Now I want to watch a TV version to see how they interpret it.

Great story. So much has been re-done from this early on work. It's a must read for Christie fans and truly any mystery buff! When you are rich, and you have people who take care of things... and it's nearly 100 years ago... what does one d
Kwoomac
Someone here on Goodreads has a shelf called "cozy mysteries" and I think this is a perfect description of Agatha Christie's Miss Marple series.You can't get much cozier than a tea-drinking elderly spinster in a tiny English village. The Body in the Library is a clever little book. Miss Marple is called in to investigate when her friend finds a dead body (in the library). What I enjoy about Christie is she doesn't take her mysteries too seriously. There's lots of room for humorous little bits. I ...more
Susan
Jan 19, 2017 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a peroxide blonde is found dead in the library at Gossington Hall, Colonel and Mrs Bantry are perplexed. However, Mrs Bantry is determined that the crime should be solved, aware that suspicion will fall on her husband ("no smoke without fire...") and wisely calls in Miss Marple. When the body is identified as Ruby Keene, a dance hostess at the Hotel Majestic in Danemouth, Dolly Bantry and Miss Marple head off for a short break to do a spot of sleuthing.

This is a classic Christie novel and t
Lata
Jan 21, 2017 Lata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a pleasure it was to reread this book. The first time I read a Miss Marple mystery story,l I was in my early teens and did not appreciate just how smart the woman is. She's very observant, and remembers little things about people, and draws parallels between different people to figure out who could have done it (the murder, that is.)
And I don't remember Agatha Christie being quite so funny the first time I read this; I found myself laughing out loud at the dialogue between Mrs. and Mr. Bant
Fatima
Dec 09, 2015 Fatima rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
قبلا فکر میکردم رمان های پلیسی اونقدرها هم برام جذاب نیستن و نمیخوندمشون ولی با خوندن این کتاب نظرم به کلی عوض شد , از اون کتاب هایی بود که نمیگذاره کتاب روی زمین بمونه و دوست داری تا آخرش رو با دقت بخونی ببینی واقعا قاتل کی بوده و انگیزه اش چی بوده؟!
Veronique
4.5

Another excellent story! Having read it previously, I still remembered the key points, but on the other hand it allowed me to look at all the clues in a different way, and weirdly I ended up enjoying it more than the first time. I'
Phrynne
Jul 10, 2014 Phrynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Christie is one of my favourite authors when I want to read something light, entertaining and always well written. This book did not let me down. Miss Marple was at her very best, guessing who the murderer was quite early in the piece but of course not letting the reader know who it might be. As usual I had no idea but just kept happily reading, letting her do all the detective work and enjoying how smart she is.
Madeline
This was my first foray into the Miss Marple series of Agatha Christie mysteries, and I have to admit first and foremost that this story has one of the best setups I've ever read in a detective novel: one morning Colonel and Mrs Bantry, the owners of a big English country house, are woken by their staff and informed that a dead body is in their library. It's a young blond woman in a cocktail dress, strangled to death and sprawled on the library rug. No one recognizes her, or has any idea how she ...more
Ginger
Feb 13, 2017 Ginger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Christie books are timeless! I always love reading her books when I want something entertaining, light and well written for a mystery. I’m always amazed at her writing but also her understanding of psychology and how good her books continue to be after all these years!

The Body in the Library did not let me down. Once again, I was surprised by the ending and enjoyed the ride. I enjoyed Miss Marple more in this book then the 1st one of the series, Murder at the Vicarage. She outwits everyon
Helen
Jan 19, 2017 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can rely on Christie to deliver a convoluted murder with wit and an understated charm.
Agapi
Feb 28, 2017 Agapi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Η πρώτη μου επαφή με την Agatha Christie καταλήγει σε 3άρι (που δεν είναι κακή βαθμολογία, αλλά είχα μεγάλες προσδοκίες).
Παρακαλώ τους φαν της να μου προτείνουν τα αγαπημένα τους, γιατί με το συγκεκριμένο δεν ενθουσιάστηκα, αλλά θα ήθελα σίγουρα να δώσω και δεύτερη ευκαιρία.
Ahmed
أولى قراءاتي لشخصية مس ماربل وللأسف كانت الرواية مملة جدا
كما أن طبعة دار الحياة أخطاؤها المطبعية كثيرة للغاية حتى اسم الرواية خاطئ
"جثة في المكتبة " وليس المكتب
على رغم من جودة الطباعة
وهو ما قلل من التقييم بشدة
Bonnie
Oct 16, 2011 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Agatha Christie novel. It's kind of a random one to start with. It's not Murder on the Orient Express or And Then There Were None or any of her other famous works. I chose it purely because I liked the cover. But you know what? I think it was a perfect choice.

Miss Marple is absolutely delightful. No ego, just a keen insight into the human psyche. She's also far more clever than me; I didn't spot the killer until it was too late.

It's almost a quintessential British village life/
Adrian
An excellent and very enjoyable read. Despite reading the book many moons ago and seeing at least one version on TV I still didn't guess who did it. (SPOILER alert sort of " although I did get the clue about the fingernails eventually")

And so it's onto the next which I think is The Moving Finger which I believe is a quote from the Wine of the Mystic: The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam: A Spiritual Interpretation. I must admit I don't know why, but I'm sure I shall find out.

Anyway 3 down and 11 to go,
Araz Goran
مغامرة جديدة في عوالم شيقة وممتعة ومليئة بالإثارة والمفاجآت .. المغامرة والرواية الثانية لي مع العجوز الثرثارة مس " ماربل " .. رواية عبقرية تضاف الى روائع أجاثا بالإضافة إلى أنني توصلت الى القاتل وهو أنجاز يحسب لي :) .. وهو ماجعلها تستحق الـ 5 نجمات..
Ashley
I love listening to Agatha Christie books when it's cold outside. It's so cozy and comforting and British. This one didn't disappoint, although it's not my favorite of hers so far.

The dead body found in the library conceit was old even back in 1941 when The Body in the Library was first published. Good old Agatha got ahold of it and decided to make it her own. There is indeed a body found in a library at the start of this book, but in quite different circumstances than you'd expect. The Bantry's
Noha Basiouny
Jan 08, 2012 Noha Basiouny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

كالعادة تقف الترجمة حائلا ثلجيا بين الإثارة والتشويق المميزان لقصص أجاثا كريستي.
لم تكن بهذا السوء بالطبع ولكنها إشارة إلي أفضلية قراءة الروايات الأجنبية بلغتها الأصلية.
ما علينا ... القصة لجريمة قتل تتعقد خيوطها منذ اكتشافها وما أن تلبث الأحداث بالانسياب حتي تكتشف جريمة أخري يتبين ارتباطها بخيط أرفع من الشعرة بالجريمة الأولي.
الآنسة ماربل عجوز عانس تتميز بذكائها وقوة ملاحظتها وكثيرا ما تساعد الشرطة في فك طلاسم القضايا المعقدة وهي بالطبع الشخص الذي سيتسني له حل لغز هذه الجريمة. الكاتبة أكثرت من ال
Damaskcat
Feb 04, 2017 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miss-marple
The body of a young woman is found in Colonel Bantry's library. Mrs Bantry immediately sends for her friend Miss Jane Marple and the Colonel sends for the police. It seems the victim is working temporarily at the Majestic Hotel as a dancer and has inveigled her way into the affections of one of the guests to the extent that Mr Jefferson wants to legally adopt her.

This is of course means there are plenty of people who might have wanted Ruby dead including her fellow workers at the Majestic and Co
Mayra
Feb 22, 2017 Mayra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

The ending was all over the place in my opinion, there was no reason for two murders. It was all too unnecessarily complicated.
Cherie
Mar 26, 2014 Cherie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Specialized knowledge is her claim.

"Downstairs in the lounge, by the third pillar from the left, there sits an old lady with a sweet, placid, spinsterish face and a mind that has plumbed the depths of human iniquity and taken it as all in the day's work. Her name's Miss Marple. She comes from the village of St. Mary Mead, which is a mile and a half from Gossington; she's a friend of the Bantrys and, where crime is concerned, she's the goods, Conway."

Talk about character development!

Miss Marpl
Heena Rathore P.
Apr 02, 2014 Heena Rathore P. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one!
After reading 4:50 from Paddington, I was expecting much more from this one, but unfortunately it's not as good as other Christie's books. It was a quick read and I guess that was the only good thing about it. As I'm planning to read all the books in Miss Marple series, I really hope that the rest of the books are better than this one.

Personally I won't recommend it to anyone. This book is definitely not for me!

You can read this review at The Reading Bud
غزل أدم
Jun 02, 2017 غزل أدم rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
awesome
I love Miss Marple so much
2/6/2017
Jennifer Girardin
The Body in the Library is classic Agatha Christie.

The story is smooth and flows well, and the characters are lively and engaging.

I particularly enjoyed the character of Dolly Bantry, who is funny and adds a touch of flair to the story.
Karen ⊰✿
Feb 20, 2017 Karen ⊰✿ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uno_2017
It It really is amazing how well Christe's books have stood the test of time ; and she always has me guessing. Once again I was surprised by the ending, but more than happy to go along for the ride. Marple is the most unexpected sleuth too - great fun!
منى سلامة
Dec 14, 2015 منى سلامة rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
القراءة الثانية في روايات أجاثا كريستي
عمل شيق
Lesley
oh isn't Miss Marple delightful with her cast of suspects. I enjoyed this one!
Nahed.E
رواية جيدة لأجاثا ، ولكنها ضمن الفئة القليلة من رواياتها التي لم استمتع بها
Ace
May 28, 2016 Ace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Marple does it again, so clever, but it does make me feel quite dumb! I enjoyed this book right up until the end when I was totally surprised by facts that were not mentioned earlier on, but there were definitely a lot of clues along the way which I ignored LOL. That will teach me!
Kindle English My...: Facts behind fiction 2 7 Mar 15, 2017 03:17PM
Agatha Christie L...: December 2013 - The Body in the Library 45 149 May 06, 2016 04:16PM
The Agatha Christ...: April 2014: The Body in the Library 12 39 May 01, 2015 06:06PM
2017 Reading Chal...: A Body in the Library by Agatha Christie 1 21 Feb 27, 2015 07:51PM
  • The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club (Lord Peter Wimsey, #5)
  • Enter a Murderer (Roderick Alleyn, #2)
  • No Wind of Blame (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #1)
  • Lonesome Road (Miss Silver, #3)
  • The Franchise Affair (Inspector Alan Grant, #3)
  • Original Sin (Adam Dalgliesh #9)

More about Agatha Christie...

Miss Marple (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1)
  • The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple, #2)
  • The Moving Finger (Miss Marple, #4)
  • A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple, #5)
  • They Do It with Mirrors (Miss Marple, #6)
  • A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple, #7)
  • 4:50 from Paddington (Miss Marple, #8)
  • The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (Miss Marple, #9)
  • A Caribbean Mystery (Miss Marple, #10)
  • At Bertram's Hotel (Miss Marple, #11)

“What I feel is that if one has got to have a murder actually happening in one's house, one might as well enjoy it, if you know what I mean.” 29 likes
“Downstairs in the lounge, by the third pillar from the left, there sits an old lady with a sweet, placid, spinsterish face and a mind that has plumbed the depths of human iniquity and taken it all as in the day's work....where crime is concerned, she's the goods.” 18 likes