Start by marking “His Conquest (MacGruders, #3)” as Want to Read:
His Conquest (MacGruders, #3)

His Conquest (MacGruder Brothers #3)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  463 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
The Only Man Who Could Save Her

Linet Dancort will not be sold. But that's essentially what her brother intends to do--to trade her like so much chattel to widen his already vast scope of influence. Linet will seize any opportunity to escape her fate--and opportunity comes in the form of a rebel prisoner locked in her brother's dungeon, predatory and fearsome, and sentenced
Published November 1st 2010 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about His Conquest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Conquest

Robin
Mar 05, 2011 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the MacGruder series. This story is about Seathan MacGruder (Laird and Earl of Grey) and Linet (sister of Lord Tearach).

Laird Seathan MacGruder, a powerful Scottish rebel, was taken prisoner by Lord Tearach. Lord Tearach and Seathan tortured to gain information on the rebel forces of Wallace. When Seathan did not break, he was to be hanged.

Linet, a intelligent and independent women, that was promised by her father that she could choose the man she was to marry. Upon h
Stephanie Burkhart
Cosby crafts a sensual novel full of excitement, adventure, and love with "His Conquest." Set in Scotland, 1297, the Scots are fighting for their freedom from the oppressive English King, Edward I. Lord Fulke Tearleach, has been given Breac Castle and holds the Scottish Lord, Seathan Grey in it's dungeon. When Tearleach's sister, Linet, frees the Scot, she sets herself and Seathan on a path full of danger and sizzling with heat.

The novel opens with Linet making a life changing decision. She choo
Lisa Jo
Lady Linet Dancourt is not a woman to stand idly by while her brother sells her for his own gain. Still, she has little hope of escaping her tyrannical brother and running away to the Highlands on her own. As luck would have it, her brother holds a man of great importance prisoner and Linet knows he is just the man to help her. She offers to release Seathan MacGruder, Earl of Grey and save him from being executed the next morn only if he agrees to escort her to the Highlands. This Scottish rebel ...more
jo_t
Dec 05, 2010 jo_t rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Action-packed Scottish historical romance

Lady Linet Dancort grew up with more freedom and education than most women in her lifetime. After her parents' death, her brother, Lord Tearlach, promises her that she would be free to choose her husband. Linet learns of her brother's vicious nature and greed when Lord Tearlach forces her to marry an abusive nobleman in order to gain a political alliance. Linet's only chance to escape such a fate is to seek refuge with her dead mother's clan in the Highla
Sasha Summers
His Conquest is the newest MacGruder brothers adventure. D. Cosby revisits her heroes, still in the thick of all things related to William Wallace and the Scottish rebels.
Seathan is the oldest in the household, and while I liked him, my favorite brother remains Duncan. (This might be because I LOVE His Woman?)
While there are some familiar threads here - the hero is injured, they must sneak through the castle undetected, etc - the story grows into its own. Linet isn't as fiery as Isabel, or as s
Crystal
Mar 14, 2011 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
so the sony ebook store didn't have #1 and I started w/#2. These are nice little books. They delve into the actual historical aspects and politics more than other historical romances I've read before. Which is nice but I tended to skim over those parts :)

I wish I could have read #1 because I really do like these brothers. #4 should be coming out in October. I read the teaser chapter in the back of this book and it sounds good but I'm going to need a really good reason that the missing presumed
Rachel
Aug 10, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-series
OMG! The point that Linet realizes she is in love and Seathan didn't return the feeling just about made me cry. She forced him face his vulnerabilities and it was a beautifully written passage. I came close to crying.

Linet's brother wanted to force her into a marriage so she ran away, taking his most fierce and hated prisoner with her. They bonded traveling to his home and the adventure ensues.

I haven't read the other's in the series yet, but I didn't feel like I was missing anything reading t
Leah  St.James
Jan 04, 2011 Leah St.James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read for pleasure, I want to be transported from the reality of my ho-hum everyday life to another world, another life, and just for a few hours "be" someone else. (I like to forget that I'm even reading!) His Conquest grabbed me from the first page and held me until I'd finished the last. I love the way Diana Cosby weaves history and long-ago settings into her stories, and I really enjoyed this group of characters. I'd already read "His Woman," but now I'm going to go back and pick up th ...more
Eileen Dandashi
Nov 28, 2014 Eileen Dandashi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My thoughts: From the first page of this exciting, well-paced, tension-filled adventure, the reader is drawn into the stench of the very bowls of Breac Castle--the dungeon where Seathan MacGruder is held, awaiting his execution. There is no hope, no way to escape. He is trapped like a feral animal. And the way it is written the reader can see and feel his frustration and desperation.

We see in Seathan a person who does not give up even when there is no hope. Yet, hope comes the night before his m
Dana
May 30, 2011 Dana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book, like an adult version of a fairytale. The strong princess meets the Strong rebel of a Scottish Prince and they fight against their love and finally at the end Love wins out. I didn't realize this was a series and I read this one first, but no worries the story stands on its own....but I did hurry and buy book one and two on my Kindle to learn more of the MacGruder men. I love the history mixed into this plot and I can't wait to read the others.

Karen
Sep 30, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, the story wraps around me and I feel like I am right there along with the characters. I keep wondering how Diana Cosby will make the next book different, since the story lines are similar, but she again has written a wonderful tale. The characters are full of personality and the story line is quite believable. As soon as I finished this book, I started reading the next installment. I am sure going to be sad when I reach the last book of the series.
Elle
Mar 12, 2011 Elle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! It took me awhile to get into it-at first I had trouble believing the emotional connection between the characters, which just seemed to appear without any development (though that may be explained later). But once I did get into it, the story grabbed me and I was very caught up in the characters. I was also intrigued enough by the bits said about characters from previous books, so I'll be buying those and reading them soon.
Patricia
Mar 15, 2015 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another great book by Diana Cosby. Not quite as excellent as "His Captive", but I might be biased - I really like Nichola. Linet is another strong heroine, feisty and feminine, a character that this author has a knack for developing. And one we need so many more of in this world. Maybe if women read them, they'll realize they can also be them.
As with all her books, character development is fast, keeping pace with the plot as it twists and turns. A wonderful feature of this author is that
Kelly
Oct 04, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by Diana Cosby but it won't be the last. Well written, fun, adventurous. a few twists & turns I didn't see. And a HEA.
Leigh Kraushaar
Jul 24, 2014 Leigh Kraushaar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent medieval detail. Great romantic suspense.
Giaghazal
Jan 31, 2014 Giaghazal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good and easy read.
Cruth
May 03, 2015 Cruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, medieval
"How had he ever been so blessed to have been gifted with her in his life?"

Plot:
Series - Grandmother's room in the tower is enchanted. The stones within would draw the one person meant for each of them, "a woman who would teach them to love and make them whole."
Book - Linet saves Seathen from the dungeon and certain death. But why? Can he trust her? Will he betray her? Will his actions destroy any possibility of a future between them?

Comments:
- Historical (medieval) romance. Scotland, 1297.
- 44
Kelly
I'm going to go on record here as saying that Highland romances are kinda a guilty pleasure of mine. I'm not enamoured of them to the point where I must have every single one that crosses my path but I tend to view them a fun, fluffy diversion from all that real-life stuff that crops up from time to time. I mean, there's something about a brawny guy that can ride a horse and swing a sword while nearly naked that makes my breath catch in my throat.

That said, there's a lot of backstory and history
Cindy Woods
Same old story

Nothing new here...nothing special about the writing, either. I am tired of reading this overdone plot about the hero previously wronged by a woman to explain why he swears the will never love another...blah, blah...and the gorgeous female who not only saves his life but falls deeply in love with him in spite of his mistreatment of her. Please!
Maggie Hesseling
I was a little disappointed with this novel. I just didn't find a lot of the story believable. I just wasn't sold. I was really excited to read this novel, considering how much I enjoyed the first 2 parts. I do like the characters. They kept me interested enough to finish the novel.
Michaela Burpee
May 03, 2015 Michaela Burpee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The adventure in this book was amazing and the little romance that blossomed throughout the story just added a little something extra. The dangerous twists made it hard to put down.
Carey
Feb 10, 2016 Carey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! So far the books in this series have not disappointed!!! I highly recommend this book & the first 2 books in this series!! They can all be read as standalone books but I say that it's better if you read all the books, in order, from the beginning!!
Ryan Vayner
It was the guilty pleasure I was looking for.
Micheale
Historical romance with a little "magic" at the end.

The book kept my interest and the main characters were quite likeable. The historical part of the novel was not overwhelming, which I like.

The pace of the book may have been a little slower that I would like, but it was not so boring that I wanted to skip pages ;o)

For a couple of days reading, this was a good one. Nothing too scarey or to sexy to worry about in this one ;o)
Jen
May 09, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book better than #2...It was nice to see a woman stand up to Seathan. I liked how strong of a character Linet was and that she didn't back down. I also enjoyed the magical aspect in the story with the jewels and the room that their grandma owned when she was alive. I think it adds something different into the story.
Stevie
Dec 31, 2015 Stevie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dhc-2015
Wanted to give this series another try. The writing style is just not my cuppa. A lot of yo-yo-ing and repeating of the stand the characters took and why it could never be. Then it actually was. Nothing bad, just not for me.
Rachel Kennedy
Jan 24, 2015 Rachel Kennedy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Quick read. Heart warming love stories in this series. I have now read two. Not necessarily historically accurate, though, in terms of the relationships and/or way women were viewed/treated. Still, a good read.
Melanie (Moviemavengal)
I think this is my first of her novels so I am coming in at the middle of a series. There just was much repetition of the inner thoughts of the characters, but the plot was good.
Normal
Sep 19, 2014 Normal added it
Shelves: ebook-nook
#N/A
Madison Mega-Mara...: His Conquest 1 2 Mar 20, 2012 09:56PM
  • The Warrior (Medieval Warriors Trilogy, #1)
  • The Highlander's Bride (Highlander Duo, #2)
  • Possessed by the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #3)
  • The Warrior's Touch
  • Desiring the Highlander (The McTiernays, #3)
  • The Highlander's Heart (Highlander #2)
  • To Love a Scottish Lord (The Highland Lords, #4)
  • Her One Desire
  • Improper Seduction (English Tudor, #1)
  • The Return of Black Douglas (Black Douglas, #2)
  • The Devil of Kilmartin (Kilmartin Glen, #1)
  • My Wild Highlander (Highland Adventure #2)
  • Sins of the Highlander
  • The Scotsman
A retired Navy Chief, Diana Cosby is an international bestselling author of Scottish medieval romantic suspense. Books in her award-winning MacGruder Brothers series are translated in five languages. Diana has spoken at the Library of Congress, Lady Jane’s Salon in NYC, and appeared in Woman’s Day, on USA Today’s romance blog, “Happy Ever After,” MSN.com, Atlantic County Women Magazine, and Texom ...more
More about Diana Cosby...

MacGruder Brothers (6 books)
  • His Captive (MacGruder Brothers, #1)
  • His Woman (MacGruder Brothers, #2)
  • His Destiny (MacGruder Brothers, #4)
  • His Seduction (MacGruder Brothers, #5)
  • His Enchantment (MacGruder Brothers, #6)