Start by marking “His Conquest (MacGruders, #3)” as Want to Read:
His Conquest (MacGruders, #3)

His Conquest (MacGruder Brothers #3)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  348 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The Only Man Who Could Save HerLinet Dancort will not be sold. But that's essentially what her brother intends to do--to trade her like so much chattel to widen his already vast scope of influence. Linet will seize any opportunity to escape her fate--and opportunity comes in the form of a rebel prisoner locked in her brother's dungeon, predatory and fearsome, and sentenced...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Zebra Books

To ask other readers questions about His Conquest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Conquest

Robin
This is the third book in the MacGruder series. This story is about Seathan MacGruder (Laird and Earl of Grey) and Linet (sister of Lord Tearach).

Laird Seathan MacGruder, a powerful Scottish rebel, was taken prisoner by Lord Tearach. Lord Tearach and Seathan tortured to gain information on the rebel forces of Wallace. When Seathan did not break, he was to be hanged.

Linet, a intelligent and independent women, that was promised by her father that she could choose the man she was to marry. Upon h...more
Stephanie Burkhart
Cosby crafts a sensual novel full of excitement, adventure, and love with "His Conquest." Set in Scotland, 1297, the Scots are fighting for their freedom from the oppressive English King, Edward I. Lord Fulke Tearleach, has been given Breac Castle and holds the Scottish Lord, Seathan Grey in it's dungeon. When Tearleach's sister, Linet, frees the Scot, she sets herself and Seathan on a path full of danger and sizzling with heat.

The novel opens with Linet making a life changing decision. She choo...more
Lisa Jo
Lady Linet Dancourt is not a woman to stand idly by while her brother sells her for his own gain. Still, she has little hope of escaping her tyrannical brother and running away to the Highlands on her own. As luck would have it, her brother holds a man of great importance prisoner and Linet knows he is just the man to help her. She offers to release Seathan MacGruder, Earl of Grey and save him from being executed the next morn only if he agrees to escort her to the Highlands. This Scottish rebel...more
jo_t
Action-packed Scottish historical romance

Lady Linet Dancort grew up with more freedom and education than most women in her lifetime. After her parents' death, her brother, Lord Tearlach, promises her that she would be free to choose her husband. Linet learns of her brother's vicious nature and greed when Lord Tearlach forces her to marry an abusive nobleman in order to gain a political alliance. Linet's only chance to escape such a fate is to seek refuge with her dead mother's clan in the Highla...more
Sasha Summers
His Conquest is the newest MacGruder brothers adventure. D. Cosby revisits her heroes, still in the thick of all things related to William Wallace and the Scottish rebels.
Seathan is the oldest in the household, and while I liked him, my favorite brother remains Duncan. (This might be because I LOVE His Woman?)
While there are some familiar threads here - the hero is injured, they must sneak through the castle undetected, etc - the story grows into its own. Linet isn't as fiery as Isabel, or as s...more
Crystal
so the sony ebook store didn't have #1 and I started w/#2. These are nice little books. They delve into the actual historical aspects and politics more than other historical romances I've read before. Which is nice but I tended to skim over those parts :)

I wish I could have read #1 because I really do like these brothers. #4 should be coming out in October. I read the teaser chapter in the back of this book and it sounds good but I'm going to need a really good reason that the missing presumed...more
Rachel
OMG! The point that Linet realizes she is in love and Seathan didn't return the feeling just about made me cry. She forced him face his vulnerabilities and it was a beautifully written passage. I came close to crying.

Linet's brother wanted to force her into a marriage so she ran away, taking his most fierce and hated prisoner with her. They bonded traveling to his home and the adventure ensues.

I haven't read the other's in the series yet, but I didn't feel like I was missing anything reading t...more
Leah James
When I read for pleasure, I want to be transported from the reality of my ho-hum everyday life to another world, another life, and just for a few hours "be" someone else. (I like to forget that I'm even reading!) His Conquest grabbed me from the first page and held me until I'd finished the last. I love the way Diana Cosby weaves history and long-ago settings into her stories, and I really enjoyed this group of characters. I'd already read "His Woman," but now I'm going to go back and pick up th...more
Dana
What a great book, like an adult version of a fairytale. The strong princess meets the Strong rebel of a Scottish Prince and they fight against their love and finally at the end Love wins out. I didn't realize this was a series and I read this one first, but no worries the story stands on its own....but I did hurry and buy book one and two on my Kindle to learn more of the MacGruder men. I love the history mixed into this plot and I can't wait to read the others.

Karen
Again, the story wraps around me and I feel like I am right there along with the characters. I keep wondering how Diana Cosby will make the next book different, since the story lines are similar, but she again has written a wonderful tale. The characters are full of personality and the story line is quite believable. As soon as I finished this book, I started reading the next installment. I am sure going to be sad when I reach the last book of the series.
Elle
I really enjoyed this book! It took me awhile to get into it-at first I had trouble believing the emotional connection between the characters, which just seemed to appear without any development (though that may be explained later). But once I did get into it, the story grabbed me and I was very caught up in the characters. I was also intrigued enough by the bits said about characters from previous books, so I'll be buying those and reading them soon.
Leigh Kraushaar
Excellent medieval detail. Great romantic suspense.
Giaghazal
Good and easy read.
Micheale
Historical romance with a little "magic" at the end.

The book kept my interest and the main characters were quite likeable. The historical part of the novel was not overwhelming, which I like.

The pace of the book may have been a little slower that I would like, but it was not so boring that I wanted to skip pages ;o)

For a couple of days reading, this was a good one. Nothing too scarey or to sexy to worry about in this one ;o)
Jen
I enjoyed this book better than #2...It was nice to see a woman stand up to Seathan. I liked how strong of a character Linet was and that she didn't back down. I also enjoyed the magical aspect in the story with the jewels and the room that their grandma owned when she was alive. I think it adds something different into the story.
Rachel Kennedy
Quick read. Heart warming love stories in this series. I have now read two. Not necessarily historically accurate, though, in terms of the relationships and/or way women were viewed/treated. Still, a good read.
Melanie (Moviemavengal)
I think this is my first of her novels so I am coming in at the middle of a series. There just was much repetition of the inner thoughts of the characters, but the plot was good.
Kelly
This is the first book I've read by Diana Cosby but it won't be the last. Well written, fun, adventurous. a few twists & turns I didn't see. And a HEA.
Normal
Sep 19, 2014 Normal added it
Shelves: ebook-nook
#N/A
TJ
For a complete review go to http://www.affairedecoeur.com - November issue.
Kelly
I'm going to go on record here as saying that Highland romances are kinda a guilty pleasure of mine. I'm not enamoured of them to the point where I must have every single one that crosses my path but I tend to view them a fun, fluffy diversion from all that real-life stuff that crops up from time to time. I mean, there's something about a brawny guy that can ride a horse and swing a sword while nearly naked that makes my breath catch in my throat.

That said, there's a lot of backstory and history...more
Lisa
It was okay. It wasn't the smut I was expecting, but it is a pretty good story and I found myself caring about the characters.
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
N I
N I marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
  • Possessed by the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #3)
  • Desiring the Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #3)
  • Improper Seduction (English Tudor, #1)
  • The Highlander's Heart (Highlander #2)
  • My Wild Highlander (Highland Adventure #2)
  • Her Irish Warrior
  • The Highlander's Bride (Highlander Duo, #2)
  • The Warrior (Medieval Warriors Trilogy, #1)
  • Highland Dragon
  • Sins of the Highlander
  • Highland Nights (Druid's Glen, #2)
  • The Devil of Kilmartin (Kilmartin Glen, #1)
  • Highland Captive (Sisters by Choice, #1)
  • The Return of Black Douglas (Black Douglas, #2)
  • The Rebel (Highlander Trilogy, #0.5)
Most people think of retirement as a time to relax. For me, retiring at 36 from my job as a Navy Chief Meteorologist/ Oceanographer allowed me to pursue my passion—writing romance novels. With 29 moves behind me and having traveled through many more countries, I was anxious to create characters who reflected the amazing cultures and people I’ve met over the years.

I’ve written ten novels to date....more
More about Diana Cosby...
His Captive (MacGruder Brothers, #1) His Woman (MacGruder Brothers, #2) His Destiny (MacGruder Brothers, #4) His Seduction (MacGruder Brothers, #5) His Enchantment (MacGruder Brothers, #6)