Start by marking “Deadly Remains (A Clairvoyant's Complicated Life, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deadly Remains (A Clairvoyant's Complicated Life, #1)

Deadly Remains (A Clairvoyant's Complicated Life #1)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  640 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
There are days when Lire Devon would kill to be conventional...

Espresso at Peabody's. Lunch with friends. Quiet evenings at home with someone special... Sometimes she'd give anything to be that girl. But nothing is ever that simple when you're the most talented clairvoyant in Seattle.

Now there's a murder, as baffling as it is horrifying, and the police want Lire to help th
Published (first published October 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Remains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Remains

Journey
Apr 04, 2011 Journey rated it liked it
Let start from the beginning the book is about Clairvoyant Lire Devon as she's called in to help the police of a small town outside of Seattle solve a murder investigation. One of the detectives seems a little resistant to working with her but she's determined to help them solve these murders especially when it begins to hit close to home. Throughout the book we get to understand that life as a Clairvoyant hasn't always been easy for her especially when at age 3 she discovers a secret that her m ...more
Tracy
Feb 11, 2011 Tracy rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Lire Devon has adapted to circumstances that force her to live a difficult life. Unable to have direct physical (skin on skin) contact with people or things without suffering a psychic backlash that could put her in a coma, she's incapable of even leaving her home without planning for what, to some, would seem like a debilitating disability. She's accepted those requirements, come to to terms with both her limitations and her abilities, even as she occasionally yearns for a more normal existence ...more
Beth
Apr 22, 2016 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Interesting, but just no.
Based on the snippet of the next book. I won't be reading another one.
*eyeroll* The government had been tracking and tattooing them for over 100 years but they're still people who think it's a fraud? Nope.
Jenifer Mohammed
Feb 23, 2014 Jenifer Mohammed rated it it was amazing
This is a great paranormal mystery with interesting characters who are fully fleshed out, several villains, and wonderfully creative world-building. Lire and Vince are great as they slowly learn to trust each other and begin to fall for each other. My favourite. character was Red and I can't wait to learn more about him. Wonderful first entry in the series.
Lori Whitwam
Mar 26, 2011 Lori Whitwam rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Loved it. 4.25 stars, probably. This was one of those books that, when I finish it, I'm crushed that the next isn't yet available. Loved Lire and Vince, adored Red. The world the author created rang true, and the plot was gritty, lightened with bits of humor, and ultimately very satisfying.
Melissa Justiana
Feb 18, 2011 Melissa Justiana rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story! This is the start of a new series and I can't wait to read more.
Fangs for the Fantasy
Oct 03, 2014 Fangs for the Fantasy rated it really liked it

Lire works for the police pro-bono – and as the most powerful touch-psychic in the area, she’s definitely a major asset. Unfortunately, prejudice and superstition make it hard to convince others to accept that, especially Detective Vince Vanelli. She has enough problems navigating in a world where touch is a constant peril, without having to babysit the chip on his shoulder

There’s a serial killer on the loose and she’s determined to help catch him especially when one of the victims hits so close
Aleksandra
Jun 17, 2011 Aleksandra rated it really liked it
SO, I've read it as I felt a sudden need to read something concerning clairvoyance, and not an academic essay at that. The book was quite enjoyable. Characters are reasonably built, I love the idea of (view spoiler), and the universe Bayless created. The magic users vary so much, and they have to face many obstacles. Life is not a dream whenyou have a gift. I find that notion refreshing, as in many fantasy books, the power comes at a prize, but all in all, it's ...more
Ozsaur
Some books grab you and take you on a nice, smooth ride from beginning to end. Afraid to say, this one took the scenic view. Over a few bumpy roads.

Lire is a clairvoyant who occasionally does consultancy work with the police department. She is brought in on a case involving ritual murder. The premise hooked me, and the plot kept me going through a lot of the meandering.

The thing is, I love world building. I love immersing myself in another universe, and seeing the world unfold. I especially love
Mochai
Jun 19, 2015 Mochai rated it really liked it
Ok, I've read this quite awhile ago and I loved this book enough to check up on the author periodically for the sequel, which has finally come out! Yay! I'm currently reading said sequel so I'll keep you updated on that one. I liked Deadly Remains for the heroine, who is intelligent without being plucky or sassy or described as ordinary but never anything but... Well, she's not ordinary, but it's a "psi-world" after all so she's not supposed to be. So she's not the loved by-all type and the roma ...more
Rebecca
Jan 01, 2016 Rebecca rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but was so disappointed reading the teaser to the next book in the series at the end that I may not continue with the series. I vascillate between a 3 and 4 star and tend to agree with many of the 3 star reviews in that the characters needed a bit more strength and passion to their personalities. Lire was a whiney brat one minute then became a strong warrior two sentences later. This happened continuously. It was also difficult to get 100% behind Vince as his actions seemed ...more
Runningrabbit
I really enjoyed this, and I think(?) I'll go on to the next one, maybe in the near future.

The problem I had with this was approximately half way through it hit the hiccup of a dead zone. It really seized up and lost a lot of momentum, to the extent that I considered ditching it but eventually decided on a mega-skim. It was chugging along so well this was a true disappointment. It did, in the long run, pick up again, but not for a substantial number of chapters.

There were a couple of unexpected
Selena Lang
Mar 18, 2012 Selena Lang rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Excellent first book. I did not want to put it down. the main character was well written, interesting and easy to relate to. I was surprised by how much I liked this book. I hope she writes more soon. Definitely recommend this one to anyone who likes a good paranormal read. The romance side of things was definitely lacking - felt school-girlish for what was thirty something characters, but the rest of the story was great.
Books-fly-to-me
Sep 11, 2014 Books-fly-to-me rated it it was ok
This is a fun interesting read and shows a lot of promise. This author can write well in the urban paranormal genre. The two stars are for the poor editing and the inconsistencies with the main character. One minute she is together, brave and sure and the next she is a hot mess. There was enough action and story for three books and I would have preferred more depth and less action in this first effort. In the end it was too much. Too many threads, too many characters and not enough attention to ...more
Mallory Dodge
Mar 29, 2016 Mallory Dodge rated it liked it
Slight spoilers!!!

This was more of a corny paranormal book, which is fine if you enjoy lighter storylines. I do, but this was a bit much for me. I couldn't get past the teddy bear companion. It seemed unnecessarily cutesy. It was long, and a lot of scenes seemed like filled and didn't add anything to the plot. My biggest complaint, however, was the villain. In books like these I love trying to guess who the bad guy is, and try to see if I can figure it out before they can. I spent all this time
Cheryl Brandt
Dec 01, 2014 Cheryl Brandt rated it really liked it
Clairvoyants, necromancers and telepaths. Oh my!

In a world where the Salem with trials killed actual 'witches', and telepathy and clairvoyance and the multitude of "psi" powers actually exist, Lire has been brought in to help with a serial murder case.

I thought the author did a good job of point up both the benefits and the draw backs to being a clairvoyant.

I enjoyed the story quite a bit, but was occasionally bothered by some of the repetitive emoting, and while understandable, Lire's insecurit
Denise
Apr 10, 2011 Denise rated it it was amazing
Read this one in a day/night, even though it's a little long. LOVED it!
Adrienne Testa
Aug 25, 2014 Adrienne Testa rated it it was amazing
Ms.Bayless can weave a story like a seasoned veteran author. Amazing combination of mystery,paranormal and romance. As the reader is drawn into Lira Devon's life and the story unfolds, you just don't want to put the book down. Lira Devon is a woman of surprises as she helps the police uncover the truth about a multiple murder. Lira is on the path of discovery, learning lessons and finally finding some one who accepts her. You just can't help at times to laugh out loud. Not for everyone. But, if ...more
Heather
Aug 12, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
Entertaining but looking for whats next????
Kellie Allen
Mar 20, 2016 Kellie Allen rated it really liked it
Really a 3.5

There were numerous aspects of this book that I enjoyed. The magical talents of various forms, the plot, Red- the colonial necromancer inhabiting a teddy bear, but found myself skipping through pages. Lire's internal dialogue and almost constant self castigating commentary was wearing. I also found the constant psi-free references redundant and irritating.
There's a lot of potential there and I'm going to give book two a chance, hopefully Lire isn't on the floor crying half the time a
mirba
May 17, 2016 mirba rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This book is just awesome.
It's mostly a thriller, with a homicide and other stuff happening, but the setting, the world, is just amazing.
I especially loved all the business and the characters problems with life. It made the magic in the book really difficult and amazing because of that.

There's a little bit of a twilight moment, what with her unable to touch anything except her love interest, but I can understand the need to escape writing a scene of making love in a full body condom.
Linda
Nov 11, 2015 Linda rated it liked it
Amazing world.. not so amazing end

I loved this author's ability to create such an interesting world for her clairvoyant detective. However, once the world was created and all the key people were established it galloped to an anticlimactic end. As with most authors who plan to write another book involving the same characters, she left it open ended in a way that caused the ending to fall sort of flat. Not sure at this point if I will be reading anything else by this author or not.
Kaylenamarie
Jan 24, 2012 Kaylenamarie rated it liked it
Tracey
Jan 14, 2012 Tracey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All those who enjoy a 'contemporary' style supernatural fantasy
Recommended read! I was surprised at how good this book was...but there is one word I can use straight up and that is 'long'. At one stage I had to check what page I was up to as I thought that there was going to be rushed ending but I still had over 100 or so pages to go. I started reading and couldn't put it down all day and finished it just this morning.

Even though it was long, the pacing on this was good as it allowed the author time for world-building and getting to know our characters. I
Sarah Leenart
Jan 05, 2015 Sarah Leenart rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, especially as it was the first book of my year! It had a lot of what I like about a paranormal mystery, great lead character who was strong and principled, lots of interesting characters, great world building, and a little bit of romance thrown in for good measure. Lire was a strong character who I felt compete empathy for and am curious to know more. I shall go straight on to the next book!
Abby
Dec 20, 2014 Abby rated it liked it
Shelves: own
First in a series. A fun, light read. A few bugs that stopped me from really enjoying it, though, including incorrect French. It isn't hard to check on that, and it irritated me that the author didn't check. There were endless grammatical and punctuation errors; doesn't anyone use a copyeditor or proofreader anymore? Outside of that, a interesting take on a paranormal mystery.
Monica
Aug 17, 2014 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lire is a clairvoyant called in to help solve a mysterious murder. I enjoyed this novel and the alternate universe it created. Lire could not touch anything without gaining memories of all the people who touched it. This also includes food. This was a good mystery with a romantic twist as well. My only complaint was that it was a little wordy at time. I felt it could have been a little shorter.
Kaelan Williams
Jan 18, 2016 Kaelan Williams rated it really liked it
This was a good book!

I really liked this book. It was a little slow and drawn out but had a interesting story to tell! I recommend this book to read on a binge reading day. I really can't wait to read the other books so I can figure some things out! I gave it four stars because I will probably read it again sometime.
Bianca
Jan 19, 2016 Bianca rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychic
Seeing other people's reviews of books makes me think that I need to be a little lengthier in my prose.
The book starts out pretty well and there are lulls in the story, you realize these characters just love their coffee. The story eventually picks up and we see who "they" are which makes for even more interesting reading.

It will be nice to see where this story is going and how it will continue to unfold for the MC's
Michele bookloverforever
in this earth bound series, psychic gifts are recognizes and regulated. psychics are discriminated against. but one is called upon to assist in solving a series of magical crimes. good story. I liked the heroine and her back story. after many perilous events she solves the crimes.
  • Wrong Side of Hell (The DeathSpeaker Codex #1)
  • Hell's Chapel (Caith Morningstar, #1)
  • Mind Sweeper (Mind Sweeper #1)
  • Sparks (Anya Kalinczyk, #2)
  • Hell's Belle (Hell's Belle, #1)
  • Getting Wilde (Immortal Vegas, #1)
  • Dead and Kicking (The Harry Russo Diaries, #1)
  • Karma (Karma, #1)
  • Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Niki Slobodian, #1)
  • Crazy in the Blood (Latter-Day Olympians, #2)
  • Trace of Magic (Diamond City Magic, #1)
  • The Importance of Being Emily (Bad Witch: The Emily Chronicles #1)
  • Wicked Misery (Miss Misery, #1)
  • The Fairyland Murders (Deadly Ever After, #1)
  • Mind Over Monsters (F.R.E.A.K.S. Squad Investigation, #1)
  • The M-Team (Maggie MacKay, Magical Tracker #5)
  • Shadow Sight (Ivy Granger, #1)
  • The Zero Dog War (Zero Dog Missions, #1)
Katherine Bayless is a paranormal fantasy author and day-dreamer with an abundance of cherished hobbies and a cursed need for a nightly nine hours of sleep. When she isn't writing, Katherine is a paper crafter, photographer, and occasional MMO player. She lives amid vast skies and ancient volcanoes in Central Oregon with her husband, three children, a sweet but shamelessly spoiled whippet named Pa ...more
More about Katherine Bayless...

A Clairvoyant's Complicated Life (3 books)
  • Deceiver's Bond (A Clairvoyant's Complicated Life, #2)
  • Reluctant Adept (A Clairvoyant's Complicated Life, #3)

“His straight face was disrupted by a smile that disappeared almost as quickly as a box of chocolates in my kitchen.” 0 likes
“unequivocal anal-retentive clutter buster” 0 likes