Start by marking “Farmyard Beat” as Want to Read:
Farmyard Beat

Farmyard Beat

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  526 ratings  ·  96 reviews
Author Lindsey Craig teams up with Arthur creator and bestselling artist Marc Brown in a toe-tapping farmyard dance-a-thon—perfect for toddler and preschooler read-alouds. As soon as the sun goes down, the animals are up! ("Sheep can't sleep. Sheep can't sleep. Sheep can't sleep 'cause they got that beat!") Before long, there's a giant farmyard dance party, complete with f ...more
Published June 14th 2011 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Farmyard Beat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farmyard Beat

Me...Jane by Patrick McDonnellI Want My Hat Back by Jon KlassenGrandpa Green by Lane SmithPerfect Square by Michael  HallBlackout by John Rocco
2012 Mock Caldecott
54th out of 84 books — 183 voters
Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinThe Seals on the Bus by Lenny HortI Ain't Gonna Paint No More! by Karen BeaumontPete the Cat by Eric LitwinIf You're Happy and You Know It by Raffi Cavoukian
Picture Books You Can Sing
16th out of 37 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Debbie Reiber
Farmyard Beat by Lindsey Craig is a children’s picture book. The age group this book is intended for is nursery. The book has a rhythm in the writing and it describes all the animals coming together because they have a beat that make them want to dance. I read this book electronically.
The illustrations by Marc Brown used a lot of lines for details; the background sky looked in motion. The colors were bright and the animals were drawn at different angles to show motion in their dancing. Craig us
Amber Lovett
Craig, Lindsey. Farmyard Beat. Illustrated by Marc Brown. 2012. 32 pp. $6.99 brdbk. Alfred A. Knopf/Random House. 0-3079-3082-3 / 978-0-307-93082-8. Ages 0-3. The inhabitants of this farmyard from the chicks to cows can’t sleep “cause they got that beat,” and they even wake up Farmer Sue with their racket. Rhythm, rhyme, and repetition are well used throughout the text making this book a good choice for reading aloud in small or large groups and to encourage interactive activities like clapping ...more
Candice
Sep 20, 2011 Candice rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
A fun book about animals who just "can't sleep 'cause they got that beat!" The beat of one animal segues into the next animal who can't sleep. The sheep - "TAT! TAT! Tattity-tat-tat! All that racket wakes up...Cat!" With a foot-stompin' beat and colorful and fanciful collage pictures, this is loads of fun.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Farmyard animals share a beat and wake the farmer! But when there's a beat, it's hard to keep still (or quiet). The illustrations are unique and well thought out. As the front of the books states - "The illustrations in this book were created using hand-painted papers and a collage technique focused on cutting the paper into primary shapes." The whole books is used from front page to back cover.

2015 Theme: Book Boogie
Additional themes: farm animals, books with a beat

Reviewed from a library copy.
Michelle
It’s bedtime on the farm, but none of the animals feel ready to sleep because they’ve all caught that Farmyard Beat! The cover art for this book is friendly and inviting and would definitely appeal to preschoolers who will identify with the theme of not wanting to go to sleep. Marc Brown’s colorful, vibrant pictures, created from hand-painted paper collage, are visually interesting, incorporating simple shapes and rich textures into fun, friendly images of familiar farm animals. The big, beautif ...more
Erin
Well I’m going to label this one “uncomfortably catchy” since my spouse and I tend to find ourselves still chanting it long after the wee one is in bed.

Illustrated with Marc Brown’s lovely, textured cutout style pictures, this book tells the story of a barn full of animals that can’t sleep because “they’ve got that beat.” It’s rhythmic and allows many opportunities for fun animal noises (the dog goes “Woof! How-WOOOOO!” as an example), and it has just the right amount of silly for our 2.5 year
Habrewer
Farmyard Beat by Lindsey Craig
Release Date – May 8, 2012
*A review copy of this book was viewed from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review*

This was a fun story to read and Lilly loved it because of the rhythmic flow of the words. The farm animals can’t sleep and one by one they wake up and start dancing to the beat, even Farmer Sue joins in on the fun.

This book is cute with fun rhymes to keep the child’s attention throughout. The illustrations are colorful and a perfect fit to go with the st
Magila
What does it say that my wife likes this as much as our child? The narrative leaves a little to be desired, but the fun repetition and its sing-song nature are huge pluses. It's a good bedtime book that deserves to go into rotation. And the illustration is very special.
Jamie Tedesco
Cute rhythmic story. Reminded me of the 80s song "we've got the beat" by The Go-Gos. I liked the cut out like pictures, although Sues face was kind of weird looking to me. Altogether this was a catchy predictable book for little ones.
Naomi
Rhyme and repetition partner up to bring a beat to this book. Unfortunately, the choice of words lost it to me and I found the book to be annoying. Kids may find it cute, but I feel that this book would have a short shelf life.
Janae
I give this four stars because my almost 2 year-old LOVES it. It has a great rhythm to it (until the end when it gets a bit shaky) and it incorporates animals, so it was a sure-fire winner for him.
Sassy
File it under animal books I did not like. But I could see applications for this book in a music class, or in a space where the librarian wants to add some rhythm. Easy to add movement.
Picture Book, poetry, 2011

This was a fun rhyming tale about farm animals. It teaches animal sounds and helps students make predictions with what animal comes next. A good book.
Lauren
First couple of pages I hated, then realized it needed to be read aloud to a pseudo-rap beat. Much better and ended up being my favorite of the week's library batch!
Teshamae
This was such a fun book to read, with a great rhythm. Because of that, even though we didn't plan it that way, it fit perfectly with our current study on music!
Beth
I really liked the collage-style illustrations in this one (by Marc Brown! Yeah!!). This was a good read-aloud; kids could pat or clap to while I read to their beat.
Sj
Jan 31, 2015 Sj rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: children
My toddlers love this book and I love reading it to them. We love it so much that sometimes we recite it around the house. Very fun book.
Vilo
Great rhymes--some the children can figure out. A little suspense as the farmer comes to investigate . . .
Josie Boettcher
A definite favorite in our house! We love singing it to the kids and they love dancing along.
Lisa
Not everything's meant to be a board book! I forgot how long this is...definitely for older!
Joella www.cinjoella.com
This is a fun tale about a plethora of animals that can't sleep because they've got that "beat!" I love how each of the animals that have the beat use their particular animal sounds or sounds that animals would realistically make to show the beat. The chicks all "peep," the cat gives a "puuurrrr! mee-ooow!" and sheep give a "tat! tat! tattity-tat-tat!" The beautiful illustrations are by Marc Brown. They are fantastic! I love looking at all the textures and expressions on all of the animals. And ...more
LeeAnn
Great read aloud for story time or movement activity.
Cemeread
This story is about farm animals who can't sleep (cause they got that beat) and the noises each makes, which wake up another group of animals. The repeated phrases allow the listener to participate. The rhythm of the animals noises would be great with added sticks or bells. Of course everyone whill enjoy falling an a heap. Asleep!

Marc Brown's farm animals are joyful, realistic renditions that appear to be created from corrugated paper and paper he colored, cut out, and reassembled as animals giv
Amy Mason
Farm animals
Dancing
Kris
Brown's collage art is terrific! The beat of this book will get some little listeners tapping along: "Chicks can't sleep. Chicks can't sleep. Chicks can't sleep 'cause that got that beat!"
I like how on some pages, the rhyme supports a good guess for the page turn:
"Peep! Peep! Peep-peep-peep! All that peeping wakes up -" "Sheep!"
but this isn't consistent through the book.
Still, fun for Down on the Farm themes or for music lovers.
Marissa Gloria
I thought this was a cute book and enjoyed reading it. I think children would enjoy it just as well. Its a cute little story about the different farm animals and how they keep "that beat" because they can't sleep. Not quite what I do when I can't fall asleep but it made me want to sing the words as I read along as if it were a song. I also like the pictures, they weren't extremely detailed but I liked the texture of them.
Amanda
Wonderful rhyming text that has all the animals in the barnyard up late at night, keeping the rhythm as they dance around the farmyard. Wonderful sound words and repetitive text for young readers. Great read aloud for PK-1 students. Collage art by Marc Brown creates depth to the farm animals as they dance around.
Paula
collage like illustrations with the beat like text make this a wonderful read at story time but at the point where the farmer is coming into the story it becomes confusing.
The sounds of the farm animals create a lively beat that keep Farmer Sue, the chicks, sheep, and other farm animals awake.
Bubba Batiste
A favorite. I love when mommy raps it instead of reads it. It makes me laugh so hard that it's hard to stop. Watch out, this book might make you dance.
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • This Little Chick
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Clip-Clop
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • If You're Hoppy
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • It's a Tiger!
  • Jump!
  • All Kinds of Kisses
  • Chicken, Chicken, Duck!
  • Yawn
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Hello Baby!