Start by marking “You Majored in What?: Mapping Your Path from Chaos to Career” as Want to Read:
You Majored in What?: Mapping Your Path from Chaos to Career

You Majored in What?: Mapping Your Path from Chaos to Career

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  218 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Has it happened yet? Have you been asked The Question? You know the one. It's the question that haunts you from your early undergrad days to months, even years, after you graduate... "What are you going to do with that major?" Inevitably this unleashes waves of anxiety, whether you're a liberal arts student unsure what your degree has prepared you for, someone with a "prac ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Plume Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about You Majored in What?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Majored in What?

Megan Hewins
Aug 19, 2014 Megan Hewins rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is out of touch. You don't have to convince English and History majors that our skills transcend our major -- it's employers that we can't convince and this book does nothing to help the new grad awash in the sea of endless online job applications navigate the reality that is faces Liberal Arts majors in a world dominated by STEM and Business grads. This book tries to make the reader feel good about our unmarketable majors.

It's not hard to sell hope to Liberal Arts majors, as we're pr
Kelly
Apr 23, 2010 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I needed some "career therapy" and this book fit the bill. Going from college to grad school to a job with a group that I'd interned with, I've never had to really think about how to market myself to potential employers because things came pretty easily. And now that I am actively looking for a new opportunity, and potentially in something that will be a little bit of a career change, I needed to read about how to make my experience relevant to other employers. This gave me lots of ideas and als ...more
Brianna
Jul 24, 2012 Brianna rated it liked it
Recommended to Brianna by: Katie Sill
Shelves: curiosity
I really like the tone and the attitude that this book presented toward the job search. It definitely made me feel better about majoring in English without giving me all the answers about what to do with such a major. And ALSO for not boxing me in to one or two professions such as "teacher" or "librarian." I really appreciated the process of creating a Wandering Map, and it's something that I'm going to be consulting as I go through my job search. Additionally, it was quick to read, and I didn't ...more
Melanie
Sep 19, 2014 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, career, 2014
If I knew of any recent high school grads or soon to be college students, I would definitely gift them this book. The book uses chaos theory as a base to explore the often non-linear paths of careers and provide practical and helpful suggestions on how to make decisions about education and career. While the book is geared toward the college student who may still be trying to decide upon a major or set a career goal, the perspective and advice in this book could be adapted to someone at any stage ...more
Kelley Jansson
Aug 25, 2015 Kelley Jansson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The messages in the first few pages of this book are worth the price of admission: 1. Careers are NOT linear, and 2. Random events matter. I also appreciated the example of a student's interest in working with the homeless and the opportunities that would exist at school, local, regional, state, and international levels. It makes sense that the more thinking students put into their careers the more likely they'll find what they're seeking. The wanderings exercises seemed much more suitable for a ...more
Petrina
May 15, 2014 Petrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars! For a career guidance book, this was fantastic in guiding me to discover what I already knew about myself deep down.

I thoroughly enjoyed the mapping processes, the 'theme'ing of my life, and it was interesting to learn more about myself in this way. In the future, I will surely pick up this book again for the resume/cover letter advice section. I am not at that stage yet, but it has fantastic tips for turning your run-of-the-mill resume into one that is genuine and stands out. =)
Isabella G
When I was looking for a book to read I couldn't find one that I really wanted to read. So, my brother suggested this book to read. He read this book in a college class a couple years back. Just from the title alone I was intrigued. I have learned a lot from this book and I think it has helped me try and figure what I am going to do with the rest of mine life. Every chapter of the book they talked about something different. From finding the right major to how you should be writing once you get t ...more
Adrienna
this book is thought provoking; drawing conclusions; weighing evidence by writing notes on what works and doesn't. we have to adapt to change and not be defeated with a resilient career strategy. the author suggests to make a wandering map that involves reflective thinking; look at skills and talents; look in past to find your future. picture living your possible life and take actions to these scenarios; willing to go far into the future as you can.

get into fields of study that'll expel your mi
Emily
It's official: I'm suffering from the common condition known as "career advice fatigue". I also graduated from college 5 years ago, and this book really isn't geared towards people in my position. But like any book of advice, you have to extract what applies to you. And I do have a degree in a liberal-arts subject that tends to be considered "useless". The only thing is, 5 years out of college, your major becomes less of an issue. That said, I gained two main things from this book:

1. Doing one o
kylajaclyn
I thought this book would be more of a how to market yourself guide for English majors like me. Alas, it is not. It is more of the traditional job guide book: how to write an amazing resume, cover letter, etc., but with one caveat: she uses the Chaos Theory as a metaphor throughout. I'm not sure I'm really buying that. However, the last chapter made the book worth it, as it is filled with uplifting advice on how not to give up on the job search. I think we could all use a little more of that.
Jen
Aug 19, 2009 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's OK, but a bit early for the boys. It's also quite like What Color is your Parachute as in it's a guide, complete with worksheets, for mapping a career. I like how it applies Chaos Theory to the career path, and stresses making the most of yourself and your classes whether they are required or not. Might be worth taking another look when the boys are closer to college in a few years. Points out obvious stuff that it's worth being reminded about - follow your interests and all your life exper ...more
Cathy Day
Dec 28, 2015 Cathy Day rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books
If you're looking for a test or a magical sorting hat that will tell you what you're supposed to "be," and thus, what to major in, don't buy this book. If you're willing to ask yourself a lot of tough questions and think and research and reflect and re-examine your dreams, then this book is perfect. Finding a meaningful career is not a linear path, and this book will make you appreciate that non-linearity--and embrace it.

Man, I wish someone had made me read this book 20 years ago.
Jul 06, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of useful ideas and information.
Rachel
I really loved how Brooks used the mapping concept to get students (and me!) to sort through their interests to help them identify careers and other important things. I used this book to help generate ideas for a Liberal Arts 101 course, and found it to be very helpful. I'd recommend to other career and academic advisors, especially for Liberal Arts Students.
Aga Artka
Feb 18, 2013 Aga Artka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it's a descent guide to thinking openly about one's career options. Careers are nonlinear. They are often chaotic and unpredictable. The books gives a reader many chances to stop and ponder on their example. It encourages to mind map, which I absolutely loved.
Heidi
Jul 23, 2012 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
If you don't know where you're going with your life, READ THIS BOOK. Take it seriously-don't just dismiss it because she's asking you to draw. Actually put in some effort and some thought, and you'll be surprised how extraordinarily helpful this book can be.
Shannon
Mar 27, 2014 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the content. If there is one thing I took away from this, it's to embrace the chaos, especially when it comes to planning. Each chapter was well thought out and seemed very real and considerate of a broad range of circumstances.
Kim
Jul 31, 2011 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i quit my job and am currently in the process of figuring out what to do with my life. my friend, kris, loaned me this book that helped him when he was in a similar situation. i'm hoping it gives me some direction...
Aida
Feb 16, 2016 Aida rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good/relevant content in these pages. A bit wordy.
Rachel Ryan
I didn't get through the whole book and I don't plan on making it through this whole book, but it's a great way to get serious about your potential career path and draw a visual for yourself.
Catherine
Dec 10, 2011 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More about self discovery than title suggests. Hind sight is always 20/20. I probably wouldn't have appreciated this book in college even though it should be read by all incoming freshmen.
Claire
May 20, 2013 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book for anyone trying to figure out what they want to do with their life. Love the Wandering Map and Possible Lives activities.
Marlena
Finding a career is not a linear process. Loved the text in this book. I laughed out loud many times. It's so real and so true!
Marina
Aug 15, 2014 Marina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star
I didn't really finish it, but while it's great to pump up the mood, I was never one to go through exercises.
Delia
Sep 03, 2012 Delia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super helpful for my first job application drive post graduation
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Dillon
Dillon is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2016
Cheryl Carter
Cheryl Carter marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Maria Rolsal
Maria Rolsal rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Dione
Dione marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
  • Getting from College to Career: 90 Things to Do Before You Join the Real World
  • The Anti 9 to 5 Guide: Practical Career Advice for Women Who Think Outside the Cube
  • Who Gets Promoted, Who Doesn't, and Why: 10 Things You'd Better Do If You Want to Get Ahead
  • Learning to Lead: A Workbook on Becoming a Leader
  • Hacking Your Education: Escape Lectures, Save Thousands, and Hustle Your Way to a Brighter Future
  • Zen and the Art of Making a Living: A Practical Guide to Creative Career Design
  • You're Going to Love This Kid!: Teaching Children with Autism in the Inclusive Classroom
  • Twentysomething: Why Do Young Adults Seem Stuck?
  • Get a Life, Not a Job: Do What You Love and Let Your Talents Work for You
  • They Don't Teach Corporate in College: A Twenty-Something's Guide to the Business World
  • The Nice Girl Syndrome: Stop Being Manipulated and Abused -- And Start Standing Up for Yourself
  • DIY U: Edupunks, Edupreneurs, and the Coming Transformation of Higher Education
  • The Leadership Challenge Workbook