Start by marking “The Swords Of Night And Day” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Swords Of Night An...

David Gemmell

The Swords Of Night And Day (The Drenai Saga #11)

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,902 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
With mythic sweep and epic scope, David Gemmell’s bestselling novels of magic and adventure feature brooding heroes who fight to preserve all that is good and honorable in themselves and in the worlds through which they stride like lonely giants. In times of terror and despair, theirs are the swords that carve a shining path, inspiring others to follow. Even after their de ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Swords Of Night And Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Swords Of Night And Day

BookBandit
Apr 06, 2014 BookBandit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, as with the series as a whole, is just good, solid, entertaining fantasy. It is not very often you can have an eleven book series and hit solidly on every book, Gemmell does it with this series and this book fits right in.
Solmaz Qanbari
Aug 18, 2016 Solmaz Qanbari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jen
May 03, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was not my first David Gemmell book - I already knew I loved this author for his vivid descriptions, intensely real characters and wonderfully action-packed and emotionally brilliant stories. However, when I read it I had not read the previous books about Druss the Legend or Skilgannon the Damned. At this point in time I have read ALL of them, and though I recommend them all, the Swords of Night and Day is still my favorite Gemmell book and probably one of my favorite books of all time. It ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Swords of Night and Day (The Drenai Saga #11), David Gemmell
Helen
Jun 19, 2016 Helen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 rounding down.

This continues, and completes, Skulgannon's story line. I'm glad I read it but it felt overlong at times. I enjoyed seeing the stereotypes shattered.
Suzanne
This was a typical Gemmell book (which is a good thing), and it was nice seeing several favorite characters one more time. That said, I thought the previous book was a more satisfying ending to the series.
Charles
Jul 16, 2008 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is one of the best books, period, that I've read in the last three years. I think it would be very helpful, however, to have read some of the earlier works in this series. That will make you really have a feel for the characters.
Mark Farbus
Mar 28, 2014 Mark Farbus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wolfdan
Apr 23, 2015 Wolfdan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On retrouve avec plaisir beaucoup de personnages qui ont tendance à nous avoir manqué. Le final est de toute beauté. Cet ultime opus conclue en beauté toute la saga.
Ghoule
Oct 31, 2015 Ghoule rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
DemetraP
Sep 20, 2015 DemetraP rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a did not finish book. I liked the earlier 10 books in the Drenai series but this book is stupid.

The plot is that heroes from the previous books (Druss, Skilgannon) have been "reborn" 1000 years later. Druss has a clone basically with a different soul, and Skilgannon has a clone but the clone's soul was cast out into the abyss (where Druss's soul is guarding it) while Skilgannon tries to stop the evil queen (who is his reborn lover, Jianna)

Yeah. It's pretty weird. I don't want to read a
Moniqueh
Jul 06, 2016 Moniqueh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many years ago I came across David Gemmell's Troy series and fell madly in love... so much so that I read all 3 books straight after each other, and then immediately dived into his Drenai Series. I read all of the first 10 books in succession but decided to take a break with the last one as I found I wasn't getting into it. Not the story or authors fault, as I think I just needed a change.

Recently I remembered that I had never read the last book and decided to remedy that fact. I have fallen in
Mayank Agarwal
Another page turner for Gemmell, only problem , it's was very much predictable. It's like all his books are so easy to read and similar (11th in the series) that i am missing complication.

This book we have Skilgannon back(from White Wolf), having known characters is always pleasant but what i really loved about the book was the new world we get to see. The finding of lost civilization having hi-tech technology. Would have like if we had more on it.Also when Druss make's appearance's it's a tota
S.E. Lindberg
The Swords of Night and Day is just okay. Given the amount of material Gemmell had to work with, this book falls flat but is still somewhat enjoyable. It merely recaps events explained in the previous books, but in a confusing way. Having read and enjoyed Gemmell's books (i.e. Legend, White Wolf, The King Beyond the Gate) I was anxious to delve into another. However, it does not add much to the series.

- The Drenai series spans eleven books, though it really is several mini-series with connection
Steve
Sep 28, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book certainly keeps its' '4 star' rating. In fact it's a '4.5 star read'... I think it's the bring Skilgannon back from the dead and the 'arcane machines' part that is a bit... too unreal (yes, I know it's fantasy *laughing*)...

The way that the story plays out though is done beautifully. And as for the characters... Well, these are some of the best written characters in Gemmell's work. Skilgannon, the deadly swordsman and great general that carries the guilt of his former raid on an ancie
Sonic
May 31, 2013 Sonic rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I needed ESCAPE, I needed a "page-turner," I needed Something to tide me over until G.R.R.Martin or P. Rothfuss FINALLY got their next (Damn) book out, ... and so I asked someone on FB ~

'Is there anything comparable to those two writers, or at least good enough to tide me over while I wait for the next promising Fantasy book?'

At first he said he was not sure he could recommend anything, (and he was ont aware of Rothfuss)... and then later in an offhand way he suggested David Gemmell.

Well this
Base
Oct 18, 2015 Base rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Troy G
Dec 15, 2010 Troy G rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This book takes place long in the future from the first book of Skilgannon. Magic allows him to rise from the dead, because of a prophecy. Skilgannon doesn't care much for prophecy. Nor is he eager to take up someone else's cause no matter how righteous.

Many of David Gemmell books deal with an exploration of prophecy and fate, and most of them do it better than this one, but not by alot.

I think that if this book hadn't been quite so dependent on raising from the dead other characters from Skil
Will Hogarth
Oct 05, 2012 Will Hogarth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I have always been a fan of David Gemmell, reading a number of his books in the past, so I had great expectations of this book and it did not let me down. I would describe this book as a page turner, a book I struggled to put down.

The story never stalls or looses it place, it relentlessly moves on with all its principal players being well rounded in a way that you end up empathising with the characters as the book progresses.

David Gemmell has the knack of telling engaging stories with sound plot
Joshua Simon
Not the best in the series but an entertaining read nonetheless.

Good action and some pretty memorable scenes. However, I'm honestly glad this was the last in the Drenai saga as it seemed Gemmell got where he couldn't write a tale without Druss or at least a thousand references to previous works in the series.

I also find it odd that in this book (the 11th in the series), he suddenly introduces the idea that thousands of years ago the people that lived in his world actually had what we would cons
Darren Finch
Oct 05, 2015 Darren Finch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've recently gotten back into reading and finished off several novels by other authors and reading The Swords of Night and Day was damned refreshing to say the least. It's a page turner and I found it interesting and hard to put down. Great stuff from Gemmell as usual.
Jayne
Jul 08, 2015 Jayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thousand years has passed. I find it hard to believe that in that time, this universe has made so little progress. Gemmell explains it a little and that's okay. I find that with things like this, too much explanation actually makes it less plausible.

Apart from that tiny quibble, as ever, Gemmell provides us with a good read.
Iceman9t9
Aug 05, 2014 Iceman9t9 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished my re-reading of the drennai series. I have enjoyed all the books but none have quite earned that fifth star. As a stand alone book this does not either. So why have I given it 5 stars? If you asked me before I re-read it I would not have listed it among my favourite books or even rated it over other gemmell novels. However having just read all the books back to back, this novel just wrapped it all up. Yes, it shamelessly draws from all the other books and the plot twists are as predict ...more
Jeff
Jul 01, 2013 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gemmel doesnt always strike a chord with me. His work is superlative and often brilliant, but I find him mired in the way he tells stories. he doesnt always manage to convince me in his tales when he jumps from one idea to another so rapidly that I lose interest.

This however, originally bought to read on holiday, exceeds any expectations I had. its a gore drenched action adventure that has at its heart the essence of a great "Conan" story but does so built on the almost effortless works of the g
Prettywitch
Nov 15, 2014 Prettywitch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hullámzó volt ez a sorozat, a közepén pár kötet kevésbé tetszett, de összességében mégis nagyon élveztem. Ez az utolsó kötet pedig nekem még jobban tetszett, mint az első, pedig az régi nagy kedvencem volt.
Nel
Jan 09, 2015 Nel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic sequal to White Wolf by David Gemmell, following Olek Skilgannon further on his quest. I want to read more about his adventures, but its not to be.
Victor
Mar 21, 2016 Victor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book by David Gemmell that I read. This one was followed by The King Beyond The Gate and Mr. Genmell became my top 5 favorite author. RIP.
Makoto
Apr 22, 2014 Makoto rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book up till the epilogue and then I was like wtf... Or I would have given it 5 stars. Maybe I'm not as forgiving.
Brad
Sep 02, 2008 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Eddings, Tolkien, Weis & Hickman.
Recommended to Brad by: Laura Gennings
An excellent blend of classic heroic fantasy with elements of science fiction.

I was more than once reminded of Frank Herbert's Heretics of Dune, which as one of my favorite books is definitely a good thing.

The action is well paced and vividly described and the chracters have real substance and depth, defiantly breaking out of the predictable-fantasy-hero molds. There are a number of chuckle-worthy passages and more than one quotable line. The descriptions do not linger on, but Gemmell manages t
Mahdi Mehrnegar
Jul 24, 2015 Mahdi Mehrnegar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gemmell
این دوازدهمین کتابی میشه که از گمل خوندم و به جرات میتونم بگم هر دوازده تا کتاب عالی بود. اصلا گمل کتاب بد نداره!
تا قبل از خوندن دو کتاب آخر فکر میکردم که محبوب ترین شخصیت برام توی این مجموعه ویلندر باشه اما الان دیگه نه. اسکیل گانون نفرین شده فوق العاده است. کسی که تا مرز پلیدی رفته و برگشته و بار گناهان گذشته اش رو حمل میکنه. شخصیت پردازیش عالیه، یه شخصیت کاملا چند وجهی که در چند راهی بین اعتقاداتش، عشقش، وجدانش و وظیفه اش مجبور میشه انتخاب های سخت بکنه.

میخواستم بعد از خوندن این کتاب مدتی گمل
David Gemmell Readers >> Who would win in a fight 6 45 Dec 01, 2015 07:29PM
  • Lágrimas do Sol e da Lua (A Saga das Pedras Mágicas, #3)
  • A Manopla de Karasthan (Crónicas de Allaryia, #1)
  • Monument
  • The Third God
  • Talon of the Silver Hawk (Conclave of Shadows, #1)
  • The Grand Design (Tyrants and Kings, #2)
  • The Horse Lord (Book of Years, # 1)
  • The Weavers of Saramyr (Braided Path, #1)
  • Wit'ch War (The Banned and the Banished, #3)
  • Daemonslayer (Gotrek & Felix, #3)
  • Noonshade (Chronicles of the Raven, #2)
  • The Stricken Field (A Handful of Men, #3)
David Andrew Gemmell was a bestselling British author of heroic fantasy. A former journalist and newspaper editor, Gemmell had his first work of fiction published in 1984. He went on to write over thirty novels. Best known for his debut, Legend, Gemmell's works display violence, yet also explores themes in honour, loyalty and redemption. With over one million copies sold, his work continues to sel ...more
More about David Gemmell...

The Drenai Saga (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Legend (The Drenai Saga, #1)
  • The King Beyond the Gate (The Drenai Saga, #2)
  • Waylander (The Drenai Saga, #3)
  • Quest for Lost Heroes (The Drenai Saga, #4)
  • In the Realm of the Wolf (The Drenai Saga, #5)
  • The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (The Drenai Saga, #6)
  • The Legend of Deathwalker (The Drenai Saga, #7)
  • Winter Warriors (The Drenai Saga, #8)
  • Hero in the Shadows (The Drenai Saga, #9)
  • White Wolf (The Drenai Saga, #10)

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat, or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. That was the iron code of Druss the Legend.” 1 likes
“We all of us carry the seed of evil in our hearts and souls,” she told him. “Even the purest, even the most holy. It is part of the human condition, born into us. We cannot root it out. All we can do—at best—is prevent it from germinating.” 1 likes