Start by marking “Young Junius” as Want to Read:
Young Junius
Open Preview read book* *Different edition

Young Junius

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  25 reviews
In 1987, fourteen-year-old Junius Posey sets out on the cold Cambridge (MA) streets to find his brother’s killer in a cluster of low-income housing towers—prime drug-dealing territory. After committing a murder to protect his friend, he finds himself without protection from retribution. His mother gives him fifty dollars and instructions to run, but Junius refuses to live ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Young Junius, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Young Junius

Josh
"Ain't nothing but a crazy day in the towers."

The quest to avenge the untimely death of his elder brother sees 14yr old Junius grow from a young man to seasoned killer in a single day. Accompanied by Elf (16yrs), the duo’s chemistry adds a light-hearted dynamic to the heavy violence fuelled plot as they search the towers for answers and payback. One death quickly leads to another, and before long, gang warfare if rife in the close knit urban community.

The imposing towers are as much a character
Seth
Dec 19, 2010 Seth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-edition
It's a great book. No doubt!
Booklist says "Harwood’s cutaway view of a single bloody day in a housing project is an impressive feat... Given the characters’ brutality, Harwood’s empathy runs deeply indeed."

Publishers Weekly: "Searing... a vicious black comedy of murderous errors. Harwood pulls no punches."

George Pelecanos (The Wire) picked YOUNG JUNIUS as one of his best books of 2010.

"Required reading." -- Crimespree Magazine
BigJohn
Three-word review: Loved. This. Book.

Young Junius is a story centered around a popular character from Harwood's Jack Wakes Up. It is set in 1980s Boston, at a time when Junius is still quite young. After the murder of his brother, which goes largely uninvestigated by the authorities, Junius takes it upon himself to find out the truth of what happened. Armed with a handgun and accompanied by his good friend Elf, Junius takes his first steps into a world for which he is only marginally prepared.

In
Dave
Non-stop action is leavened by multi-dimensional characters in this story of a day in the life of a boy/man, 14-year-old Junius, who sets out to find the killer of his brother in the drug-and-blood-soaked halls of a Cambridge, Mass., housing project. The mystery drives the story, but it's the action that keeps you turning the pages and the depth of the characters that draws you into their gritty lives.

It would have been easy for the author to people his book with stereotypes, but he resisted te
Simon Royle
If you liked the TV series "The Wire" - you'll love this book. Seth's created a story that takes place in one gritty day in the projects in Boston.

YJ, a 14 year old, 6'3" "kid" sets out to avenge his brother's death and mayhem ensues.

The story is much deeper than the casual drugs inspired violence; throughout we're given snippets of the lives of the (many) characters quick flashes of their hopes, and dreams and watch, sadly, as these are crushed by the environment they're in. You find yourself
Deborah
I think this is Seth Harwood's best work to date. With each new segment in the Jack Palms series, his writing gets stronger, more vivid, and more suspenseful.

Even though Junius is the main character, I feel like I have depth and a sense of perspective from every character in the story. His story feels real. I could see it -- although I did not want to be in those towers during that gun fight.
Reacher
One of the best things about Harwood's novels is Harwood himself. If you ever get a chance to hear him read, be prepared to walk away fired up about his fiction, and about fiction in general.

And his novels are pretty darn good too, and will only get better. Harwood will be around for a long, long time.
M.A. Kropp
I waffled back and forth between a three and four star rating for this story. I finally settled on four, because, despite the violence and somewhat bleak outlook of the story, I found it compelling and hard to put down.

This is another book that is a departure from my usual fantasy/science fiction fare. I'd read a few short blurbs online that sounded intriguing, and the setting was particularly attractive to me. It is set in 1987 Cambridge, MA, in the area surrounding the Alewife stop on the MBTA
Ryan
On the surface, Young Junius seems like a fairly simple story - 14-year-old Junius Ponds has his brother die, and vows revenge against the drug dealer that murdered him. It's a dark, abrasive coming of age story that is almost like a YA version of Scarface.

At the same time, though, Harwood uses that story to make a larger point about the karmic circle of violence - or, rather, the downward spiral of violence, rather than a circle. Junius' brother Temple is killed, which spurs Junius to action. T
Dave
It’s always exciting to discover a great new author. Last spring I came across a mention of a book called “Jack Wakes Up” by Seth Harwood. The book’s cover featured glowing blurbs by three of my favorite authors: Michael Connelly, Duane Swierczynski, and Megan Abbott, so I gave it a try and I was glad I did. “Jack Wakes Up” is an action packed, enormously fun, pulpy crime novel. After finishing the book I discovered that Harwood had published two sequels and another novel as free audio books on ...more
Ben
Gritty, gripping read reminiscent of the heartbreaking fourth season of The Wire - the one that focused on Michael, Dukie, Randy, and Namond's summer working the low rises. In fact, if you tossed in a drunk McNulty, the book reads like a bonus season of that show. When you stop to catch your breath from all the white-knuckle action and suspense scenes, you'll feel a double dose of sadness. First, because Junius and his colleagues are way too young to get firmly sucked into a life without hope. S ...more
J. Keith
"Young Junius" takes you into a gritty world of drugs, gangs and violence on the rough side of Boston; the world of a very young Junius Posey, before he was legendary gang leader Junius Ponds.

Seth Harwood's book brings a whole new world into stark focus. This gritty story will have you taking sides and keeping your head down, especially during one of the longest and best done gun battles in American literature.

"Young Junius" is a different kind of story and while not for the faint of heart, is o
Matt
An excellent crime/action novel about drugs, gangs, and revenge. YOUNG JUNIUS is a prequel novel to Seth Harwood's JAKE WAKES UP, which follows Junius Posey and his quest to find out who and why his brother Temple was shot and killed. It leads to one very bloody and deadly day in the life of a late 80's projects building complexes. Great and interesting story that doesn't let up and never has a dull moment. YOUNG JUNIUS is very realistic and could almost easily be based on a true events.

Crime no
Anthony
Having listened to the first series, Jack Wakes Up (all 3 books), and followed along while he podcast Young Junius as he was writing it, I could not wait to get the book in my hands. To be able to follow Mr. Ponds around as he went through his life changing moment was scary easy. A couple of times I think I actually ducked. Seth does a great job of weaving a tale that sucks you in and seeing what's going on like you're actually there right beside the characters in the, *thick of it*, shall we sa ...more
Brian Southworth
What a great story! 14 year old Junius is out to find his older brother.Set in the projects in Cambridge,Mass in the 1980's. The storytelling here is top-notch and the action is intense.Seth Harwood has crafted something special here. Dark, cold & bleak this world Junius lives in, a world where he never may get a fair chance at life.As i read this engaging story I couldn't help to stop and visualize this gritty scene, and to be thankful I wasn't living this horrible nightmare.Great book, and ...more
Evan G
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
This was a book about the life a teenager who gets caught up in world of drugs and gangs in the pursuit of discovering who killed his brother.
I personally wasn't too big of a fan of this book. Way too much cussing for me. But wasn't too surpeised by the amount do the fact that these are drug dealers and people living in certain culture so the swearing is pervasive.
I can't say I would recommend or not recommend it.
Richard Magahiz
If you judge from the first few chapters, you'll think this story of revenge and duplicity will end up with less graphic violence than it finally does. But it is the suspense that is the most punishing aspect of this novel. The characters are drawn with economic strokes and you start to discover to your dismay that you are able to identify in some way with their desperate lives.
Heidi
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I'm sure it's just me, but I had a difficult time with this book. I made it about 100 pages in and just couldn't keep reading. I will try and make another attempt at finishing it after I read a few other books.
Cameron Mathews
Enjoyed this one, more than the JWU sequels, but perhaps not as much as Jack Wakes Up itself. Still, Harwood manages to cram lots of action into a short timespan and a confined setting. If you like guns and shootemups, pick this up.
Jay Langejans
Seth Harwood brings Junius Posey back to life in this awesome book, if you like action you got to read this book.
Amy
I finally took the time to finish the audiobook. Loved it! Seth Harwood writes great crime fiction!
Joseph Carson
bloody well done. loved this book. One of those I can't put this down books.
Amy (Demonkittie)
*This book was won from a First Reads giveaway on goodreads.com*
Chet
Gripping contemporary crime fiction built upon richly drawn characters. Discussion of "sense of place" is a bit out of style these days, but the gritty urban scene in this novel is a perfect example of how this can add depth to the experience of an engrossing plot. Moreover, the nature of the story in Young Junius arises organically from the qualities of these characters & world they find themselves in. The action, the tension, builds, & builds, & builds, to a superbly climactic fini ...more
David Clarke Jr
David Clarke Jr marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Sean Ferguson
Sean Ferguson marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Young Junius Special Edition Hardcover 1 4 May 05, 2010 11:58AM
  • Crescent
  • 7th Son: Book Three - Destruction
  • The Crypt Book 01: The Crew
  • One Among the Sleepless
  • The Immortals
  • South Coast (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper)
  • Hogdoggin': The Next Chapter of the Billy Lafitte Saga (Billy Lafitte, #2)
  • Ishmael Toffee
  • Five Noir Novels of the 1940s and 50s
  • Playing for Keeps
  • Nina Kimberly the Merciless
  • The Platinum Loop
  • Blood on the Mink
  • The Deputy
In 2005, Seth Harwood began writing his debut novel, Jack Wakes Up. No stranger to the literary scene, Harwood had graduated from the prestigious Iowa Writers' Workshop just a few years earlier and his short stories had been published in numerous literary magazines and anthologies; getting attention from publishers for Jack Wakes Up, however, proved more difficult.
So in July of 2006, Seth recorde
More about Seth Harwood...
Jack Wakes Up (Jack Palms, #1) In Broad Daylight This Is Life (Jack Palms Crime #2) A Long Way from Disney Triad Death Match