Start by marking “Ordering Disorder: Grid Principles for Web Design” as Want to Read:
Ordering Disorder: Grid Principles for Web Design

Ordering Disorder: Grid Principles for Web Design

The grid has long been an invaluable tool for creating order out of chaos for designers of all kinds from city planners to architects to typesetters and graphic artists. In recent years, web designers, too, have come to discover the remarkable power that grid-based design can afford in creating intuitive, immersive, and beautiful user experiences.
"Ordering Disorder" deli
Published December 3rd 2010 by New Riders Publishing (first published November 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ordering Disorder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ordering Disorder

Ryan
Dec 28, 2010 Ryan rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
In reviews on Amazon, Ordering Disorder has been dismissed by some for being overly simplistic, but I thought it was a refreshing read, even for someone who has experience designing a few dozen large-scale websites.

Khoi Vinh is the former Design Director of NYTimes.com and founder emeritus of the excellent design firm Behavior. Reading Ordering Disorder is like sitting over his shoulder and watching him work — albeit on a hypothetical website. Vinh demonstrates how a well-considered grid can be
Jess
Jan 25, 2015 Jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: user-experience
I have often looked for a book to help me conceptually wrap my brain around design frameworks for the Web and Ordering Disorder accomplished that (for the most part). Although Ordering Disorder was written in a period when fixed width layouts were more popular than responsive design, I still find this book useful as it is explaining some core design principles and practices that can be applied to many different kinds of mediums and design theory.
Jasmina Nakeva
Mar 11, 2015 Jasmina Nakeva rated it it was ok
I really expected more from this book. A single 16 units grid design is worth investigating in an article, and just like a "light-introduction-to-working-with-grids" article was this book to read. I guess I was expecting too much in the beginning, hoping to read about many different design approaches, usability and interaction, all under the scope of different grids and design layouts (F and Z layouts, for example).

In my opinion the read was quite superficial even for the topic itself. I skippe
David Hall
Mar 24, 2011 David Hall rated it liked it
I've been enjoying Khoi Vinh's blog posts on web grid theory for years and was pleased to see that he has combined these into a relatively short book. Ordering Disorder is well written and engaging. Being a sometimes jaded designer, I found his philosophy and process inspiring.

One criticism is that he skipped over the use of fluid grids in his approach even though he does mention it in passing. Given that 'responsive design' seems to be the order of the day, I find this puzzling. Also, some may
Matt
Dec 29, 2010 Matt rated it liked it
Beautifully presented, excellently written, but thin on detail and furnished with only one example (albeit a good one). The whole book can be read cover to cover in just a few hours, which is a shame - I've no objection to tight and concise, but this feels a bit rushed and superficial instead. Vinh's design judgement is (of course) excellent, so it's a shame that the reasoning that led to the choices he makes aren't explored in any depth.

Still a thoughtful and worthwhile read, and as far as I k
Stanislav Grinapol
Sep 15, 2011 Stanislav Grinapol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: typography, ux, design
A grid is probably number one tool for Designers, but understanding differences between a static grid and one use for screen could mean a difference between success and failure. Khoi Vinh is able to outline his process of establishing flexible grids for web design in a logical manner in 175 pages filled with diagrams and illustrations.
Leonard Houx
Oct 02, 2013 Leonard Houx rated it it was ok
I was so excited to read this book. But there was just so little substance. Vinh justifies his book, among the numerous other books on grid-based design, to explain grid-design from a web-oriented persepctive. Yet this book offers so little substantial advice, web-based or otherwise, that it would seem to barely enough to constitute a decent article.
Ainsley
May 02, 2015 Ainsley rated it really liked it
Great, quick read filling laying out the principles of how to design for the web with a grid system. Step by step of how to construct it and then apply the needs of a design to that grid. Really helpful.
Koen
Apr 12, 2012 Koen rated it liked it
Shelves: ict, non-fiction
Niet het meest uitgebreide boek over dit onderwerp maar zeker interessant om het design proces van verschillende templates te volgen. Goed voor wie in een verloren namiddag wat meer inzicht wil in het grid design.
Jeremy
Nov 03, 2011 Jeremy rated it really liked it
Good review of grid based and basic design principles, as well as designing with an information hierarchy. Fairly practical in that it goes through a 4-template design, using the grid for consistency.
Masa
Jul 08, 2015 Masa rated it liked it
Shelves: design
It was nice that he touched on baseline principles, since it was new to me. It was a straightforward workbook to run through on your hand the next time you design web.
Michael Powers
Michael Powers rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2014
Chris Johnson
Chris Johnson rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2011
Nitish Jha
Nitish Jha rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Alyssa Realica
Alyssa Realica rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2015
John
John rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2013
Igor
Igor rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Sjef van Gaalen
Sjef van Gaalen rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2011
Barry
Barry rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2011
Juan Aller
Juan Aller rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2016
Luca
Luca rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Noel
Noel rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2011
Mrt
Mrt rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2014
Jesse Jones
Jesse Jones rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2015
Aditi Mishra
Aditi Mishra rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2015
Tim Ostler
Tim Ostler rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Sergey
Sergey rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Amilgaoul Baman
Amilgaoul Baman rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2015
Boris Jovanovic
Boris Jovanovic rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2015
angela Carter
angela Carter rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2016
  • Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior
  • HTML5 & CSS3 For The Real World
  • Above the Fold: Understanding the Principles of Successful Web Site Design

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Khoi Vinh was the Design Director at NYTimes.com for 4 years until he resigned in July 2010. He is now the co-founder and CEO of Lascaux Co., makers of Mixel for iPad, the world’s first social collage app. Read more or get in touch with him on this page. ...more
More about Khoi Vinh...