Start by marking “Ordering Disorder: Grid Principles for Web Design” as Want to Read:
Ordering Disorder: Grid Principles for Web Design

Ordering Disorder: Grid Principles for Web Design

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  231 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The grid has long been an invaluable tool for creating order out of chaos for designers of all kinds--from city planners to architects to typesetters and graphic artists. In recent years, web designers, too, have come to discover the remarkable power that grid-based design can afford in creating intuitive, immersive, and beautiful user experiences.
"Ordering Disorder" deli
Published December 3rd 2010 by New Riders Publishing (first published November 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ordering Disorder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ordering Disorder

Ryan
In reviews on Amazon, Ordering Disorder has been dismissed by some for being overly simplistic, but I thought it was a refreshing read, even for someone who has experience designing a few dozen large-scale websites.

Khoi Vinh is the former Design Director of NYTimes.com and founder emeritus of the excellent design firm Behavior. Reading Ordering Disorder is like sitting over his shoulder and watching him work — albeit on a hypothetical website. Vinh demonstrates how a well-considered grid can be
Jess
I have often looked for a book to help me conceptually wrap my brain around design frameworks for the Web and Ordering Disorder accomplished that (for the most part). Although Ordering Disorder was written in a period when fixed width layouts were more popular than responsive design, I still find this book useful as it is explaining some core design principles and practices that can be applied to many different kinds of mediums and design theory.
Jasmina Nakeva
I really expected more from this book. A single 16 units grid design is worth investigating in an article, and just like a "light-introduction-to-working-with-grids" article was this book to read. I guess I was expecting too much in the beginning, hoping to read about many different design approaches, usability and interaction, all under the scope of different grids and design layouts (F and Z layouts, for example).

In my opinion the read was quite superficial even for the topic itself. I skippe
Christian
This book could have used more proofreading. For instance, one section had an illustration meant for the section that followed it and a paragraph from the section that preceded it.

Content-wise, it provided a solid outline of the design process as it pertains to grids, but was nothing mind-blowing.
David Hall
I've been enjoying Khoi Vinh's blog posts on web grid theory for years and was pleased to see that he has combined these into a relatively short book. Ordering Disorder is well written and engaging. Being a sometimes jaded designer, I found his philosophy and process inspiring.

One criticism is that he skipped over the use of fluid grids in his approach even though he does mention it in passing. Given that 'responsive design' seems to be the order of the day, I find this puzzling. Also, some may
Matt
Beautifully presented, excellently written, but thin on detail and furnished with only one example (albeit a good one). The whole book can be read cover to cover in just a few hours, which is a shame - I've no objection to tight and concise, but this feels a bit rushed and superficial instead. Vinh's design judgement is (of course) excellent, so it's a shame that the reasoning that led to the choices he makes aren't explored in any depth.

Still a thoughtful and worthwhile read, and as far as I k
Ainsley
Great, quick read filling laying out the principles of how to design for the web with a grid system. Step by step of how to construct it and then apply the needs of a design to that grid. Really helpful.
Davood Torabzadeh
Great book about fundamental of grid design.
Leonard Houx
I was so excited to read this book. But there was just so little substance. Vinh justifies his book, among the numerous other books on grid-based design, to explain grid-design from a web-oriented persepctive. Yet this book offers so little substantial advice, web-based or otherwise, that it would seem to barely enough to constitute a decent article.
Stanislav Grinapol
A grid is probably number one tool for Designers, but understanding differences between a static grid and one use for screen could mean a difference between success and failure. Khoi Vinh is able to outline his process of establishing flexible grids for web design in a logical manner in 175 pages filled with diagrams and illustrations.
Koen
Niet het meest uitgebreide boek over dit onderwerp maar zeker interessant om het design proces van verschillende templates te volgen. Goed voor wie in een verloren namiddag wat meer inzicht wil in het grid design.
Jeremy
Good review of grid based and basic design principles, as well as designing with an information hierarchy. Fairly practical in that it goes through a 4-template design, using the grid for consistency.
Abe Serrano
Great book on using grids for the web. I had several "oooh, now that makes sense moments".
Adam Procter
very disappointed found the examples did not adhere to the grid at all frustrating.
Anthony
This is a really great guide to using grid-based design on the web.
Alex
A succinct, well-written guide to grid design on the web.
Zach Inglis
Not bad at all, just way too short.
Tiffany
Tiffany is currently reading it
May 18, 2015
Bog
Bog is currently reading it
May 17, 2015
Matías Valle
Matías Valle is currently reading it
May 12, 2015
Alistair Chisholm
Alistair Chisholm is currently reading it
May 06, 2015
Laure
Laure marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Kcire Serolf
Kcire Serolf marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Hugo Leloup
Hugo Leloup marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
  • Content Strategy for Mobile
  • Responsive Web Design
  • Designing the Obvious: A Common Sense Approach to Web Application Design
  • Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)
  • Designing for Emotion
  • Designing With Web Standards
  • Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions
  • A Practical Guide to Information Architecture
  • Designing Social Interfaces
  • The Elements of Content Strategy
  • The Icon Handbook
Khoi Vinh was the Design Director at NYTimes.com for 4 years until he resigned in July 2010. He is now the co-founder and CEO of Lascaux Co., makers of Mixel for iPad, the world’s first social collage app. Read more or get in touch with him on this page. ...more
More about Khoi Vinh...