Start by marking “Clifford's Birthday Party (Clifford The Big Red Dog (Pb))” as Want to Read:
Clifford's Birthday Party (Clifford The Big Red Dog (Pb))

Clifford's Birthday Party (Clifford The Big Red Dog (Clifford the Big Red Dog)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  5,669 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews

Published (first published 1988)

Be the first to ask a question about Clifford's Birthday Party (Clifford The Big Red Dog

Lauren
This book is about a big red dog on his birthday. He is upset because no one came to his birthday party, so his owner goes to find all of his friends. When they all arrive, they bring presents that would suit a normal sized dog but not Clifford. He is happy anyway simply because his friends were there to celebrate his birthday with him.
This book would be great for students in Pre-K through second grade.
There is not a specific subject that this book would go into, but would help students learn th
Tessa Hensley
Dec 07, 2015 Tessa Hensley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Clifford has a birthday and all of his friends are invited. When nobody shows up Emma goes to find out why. Turns out they didn't think their presents were good enough so they didn't want go. They decided to come anyways and of course Clifford loved all of their presents, but at the end the thing he loved the most was his friends and family.

This book is full of cute pictures that are very colorful, detailed and really add to the story. I wouldn't know what exactly was going on without the words
Melissa Kreycik
Bad lesson to teach kids, but entertaining for my toddler!

I am a parent trying to teach my toddler about kindness and giving and manners, and this book surprised me in a bad way in how it seems to be teaching rudeness...three times! First, the friends just unanimously didn't show up for the party and all went to the park instead. Huh? Second, EE asks why; they say they didn't think Clifford would like their gifts. But the rude part is EE's response...rather than saying something like, "it's ok y
Ina
Sep 24, 2012 Ina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-reads
This is another charming book about Clifford's life and his struggles to fit in to this miniature world. The kids enjoyed this story, and there were many laughs to be had, especially when all the guests at the party dream about what Clifford would look like after a trip to the groomers. I was bothered by the way the story centered on birthday presents - at first none of the guests would come, because they felt that their gifts were inadequate for their friend. The bulk of the story features each ...more
Kristen
Jul 18, 2016 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
This was a cute book about Clifford's birthday. With my daughter's own birthday coming up soon, we thought this would be a fun read.

My daughter loves dogs, so Clifford books are always a hit. This particular one was fun because we got to see Clifford participate in Birthday activities. His friends initially don't show up, but Emily Elizabeth seeks them out. They all didn't think they had presents that would live up to what Clifford deserved. Of course he loves everything and a couple turn in to
Angie
Dec 30, 2013 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "For nearly 30 years, the antic of Clifford, the biggest, reddest dog in America, have delighted young children around the world. With Scholastic Book and Cassette children can read the book, listen to the story, and play along with lovable Clifford. Emily Elizabeth, Clifford's owner, narrates the story on one side, and the other side features imaginative, educational activities."

My Review: Definitely a great one to share as Munchkin's birthday approaches. The classic Clifford characte
Carissa M
"Clifford's Birthday Party" by Norman Bridwell is a great way to teach lessons to children. It's Clifford's Birthday Party but none of his friends came, so Emily his owner goes out and finds them playing in the park. They all didn't come because they didn't have good gifts for Clifford. They all run home and grab their gifts and come to celebrate his Birthday. Clifford ended up breaking most of the gifts since he was too big for them, but the best gift of all was his friends coming and the surpr ...more
Olivia Bailey
This is a book to celebrate birthdays. After reading each student can write and/or draw about their past birthday experience that meant something to them.

Also it talks about the importance of family. The students can put together a story, song ( record them using instruments and/or singing with a purpose), draw, or any creative outlet to express their importance of family.

Clifford books are known form some cause and effect stories. I could have the students go through and write the cause and ef
Amanda Kolar
Birdwell (1988) tells a story about Clifford’s friends thinking their presents weren’t good enough to give to him. Elizabeth tells them that it’s about what they get him. It’s about spending time with his friends. I would use this in my classroom. It would help me teach my students that it doesn’t matter what you give a friend as long as it come from the heart. It would also help me teach my students that family and friends are important to spend time with on holidays like birthdays.
Rosa Cline
Sep 22, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, birthday
It's Clifford's birthday and they were giving him a big party but no one shows up. So Emily Elizabeth and Clifford go to find their friends. They all thing that their gifts aren't good enough for someone as special as Clifford. But Emily tells them she knows they will be. They continue to have fun opening gifts and toward the end Clifford gets a visit from his parents and siblings. Making his birthday the best.
Kelsey
Feb 09, 2011 Kelsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was particularly great for discussing predictions with students about what might happen next at Clifford's party. There were ellipsises and insinuations throughout that set the reader up for formulating ideas. It also had a great moral at the end that could be talked about as well: friends and family are the best gifts ever.
Julee
It's time for Clifford's birthday party, but where are his friends? They don't think their gifts are good enough for such a special friend. Clifford shares some fun and friendship and is rewarded with a visit from his family.
Lexi
May 07, 2015 Lexi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clifford
This is a great story because it teaches you about looking into why someone may not attend your birthday party (or anything that is important to you.) They may not feel comfortable in that situation, and in this case, they may not have a present for you and so they think that they shouldn't come.
Robert
May 26, 2012 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Robert by: Patty Phillips
Shelves: fiction, birthday, 2-5, dog, own, cfc
Eh.

Another Clifford book. Clifford's birthday had issues. Of course, being a huge red dog presents issues. He destroyed the tree when trying to open the pinata. He let the air of the beach ball. Clifford basically mucked things up all over.

It's typical Clifford, which is to say, not great.
Sep 21, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Clifford has a birthday party and his presents end up being a bit of a problem - a pinata, for example, causes him to bash a fence over!
Sheila
Sep 24, 2012 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A nice children's story for beginner readers or struggling readers, or just for those who enjoy Clifford the Big Red Dog.
Hannah Stachewicz
Jan 12, 2015 Hannah Stachewicz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading this book on my birthday when I was younger, imagining that Clifford was celebrating with me.
Maria
This book was not one of my favorites, but it does show that gifts do not mean everything on your birthday. It's the thought that counts.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 14612 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.5 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Amanda
A good book that I enjoyed as a child. I do remember reading quite a few of the books in this series but this particular one stands out in my memory.
Shantel
not a huge fan of the Clifford books, and they often have ideas that are beyond a 2 year old. But my son seems to like them, although I don't know how much he understands
Jeffrey
Cute, entertaining Clifford book with the usually reliable sense of whimsy found in most of this series.
Apryl
Sep 01, 2015 Apryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clifford books have always been a personal favorite of mine. A big red dog and a young girl going on adventures is such a great idea for a young children's book.
Bridget
My boys have all loved Clifford and the Clifford books. I have never been a huge Clifford fan, but it sure entertains my little boys.
Melanie
This book was very cute and follows the Clifford series very well. My daughter loved the illustrations. The moral of the story was also a good one and well thought out.
The Book Box
Mama read this to me today. When Clifford got a ball for his birthday, I pointed at it and said "Ball!" even before the text mentioned it was a ball.
Aug 21, 2013 Jennifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is an awful story. None of Clifford's friends show up to the party and them Emily Elizabeth has problem with all of the gifts. Shouldn't we be teaching our children how to be gracious?
Sally
Sally rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2012
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Janice Palmieri
Janice Palmieri rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2014
  • Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • Curious George Visits the Zoo
  • Just a Mess (Little Critter)
  • Curious George Gets a Medal
  • The Magic School Bus Plants Seeds: A Book About How Living Things Grow
  • Happy Birthday, Moon
  • Lost in the Solar System (The Magic School Bus, #4)
Norman Bridwell is an American author and cartoonist, best-known for the Clifford the Big Red Dog series of children's books. Bridwell attended John Herron School of Art in Indianapolis, Indiana. He currently resides on Martha's Vineyard, MA, where he continues to write an average of two books a year.

More about Norman Bridwell...

Clifford the Big Red Dog (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Clifford the Big Red Dog
  • Clifford Gets a Job
  • Clifford Takes A Trip
  • Clifford's Halloween
  • Clifford's Tricks (Clifford)
  • Clifford The Small Red Puppy