Evvy's Civil War

Evvy's Civil War

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  19 reviews
On her fourteenth birthday in June of 1861, spunky Evelyn Chamberlyn finds herself stuffed into a corset, a dress with hoops and a hairstyle so ornate she calls it the Edifice. It is time for her to be introduced to society-no more climbing fences and jumping into streams. She is expected to be a lady now.

But Evvy has an agenda of her own, questions of her own, and soon...more
Published March 4th 2002 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Evvy's Civil War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evvy's Civil War

Sydney
I love Civil War books, so whenever I have the chance to get my hands on what looks to be a good book on that era and I can't resist, and then I hope that the book will turn out to be worthwhile. Well this book ended up being really good. I loved it to start with. The plot was great, the main character was strong, and well, it takes place during the Civil War (or just before the Civil War actually).

I loved Evvy's personality. I loved how interesting of a character she was. And how all the secre...more
Terry
This is the story of a young girl who grows up and becomes a strong woman during the civil war. I love stories set during this time period and this is a good one! It presents the role of women during that time period in the South and how limiting there lives were.
Terry Chan
It is a historical fiction. I chose this book to read because the book cover looks good and I like reading this kind of fictions since they can tell me how much different the society is between now and the past. This book is about the life of a fourteen year-old girl called Evvy Chamberlyn living in Philadephia in the 1860s. As she became fourteen years old, she is expected to be a lady. She has six younger sisters totally but she didn’t know why her parents kept getting new babies. One day she...more
Linda
I don't remember how I came to add Evvy's Civil War to my tbr list. It proved to be a popular one with my library system. I waited about a year before getting this one. It turned out to be an enjoyable read. I can see why there was such a wait.
It's just before the start of the American Civil War when Evvy turns 14. In her family it means that she's considered an adult. No more playing for Evvy. Her parent's expect her to be a lady. It had to be an interesting time to come of age. Discussion of s...more
S. S.
I am not addressing the slavery issue in this review. I cannot believe that people ever think (and still do in some countries) that owning another person can ever possible be right, but that is not what I wish to focus on when discussing the way I felt about this book.

This book gives insight into the way women had to live during the years when they were "ruled" by their fathers and then their husbands also offers insight into the lives of people in general during those terrible times, how they...more
Irene
I loved this book and I felt like I could relate to it because Evvy learns so much about growing up, and she notices how much her life changes. The baby switch made me upset, and how her father died. I also didn't like how she rejected Win's proposal even though he was kind of rude. It made me feel sad that she comes to realize that she doesn't want to be married, and that she never did. It made me feel bad that the burden of her switching the babies had to be heavy on her conscience at the end....more
Kayla
This is really nice historical fiction for young readers. The female character is very strong, but it is a strength appropriate for the time period. I actually love the subtle strength of the women in this book. Never once do you encounter a whining, "Scarlet O'Hara" type character, which I greatly appreciated. The story is believeable and interesting. There may be a few historical inaccuracies here and there, just like most historical fiction, (especially HF geared for younger audiences), but o...more
Amber
This book was great. To me it felt like it sped up really fast toward the end. I do not know if this was done on purpose to show how Evvy had to grow up really fast and that it shows us how things went fast for her, or if their was a limit on how long the book was to be or when it was to be turned in. Either way, it really is a good book.
Tristi
This book takes us back to the era just before the start of the Civil War through the eyes of Evvy, the oldest daughter of a plantation owner. We see her transition from girl to young woman, and how she ends up taking over the running of the planation when her father goes off to war and her mother is bedridden. She assists with the Underground Railroad and frees some of her slaves. All in all, it's a good look at the emotions and trials faced by southern women during the War.
Mary Paladin
Apr 17, 2008 Mary Paladin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers age 12 and up
A fast paced YA (young adult) novel. Young girl coming of age in the deep South just as the Civil War is beginning. She realizes there is more to coming of age than fashions and young men. A girl before her time, she takes charge in leading her family forward.
Based upon stories passed down in the authors family, who happens to be a friend of mine... a very good read for young girls interested in history, or the women's movement.
Abby
This book had great descriptions about the time and lifestyle of the South during the Civil War. I liked it most in the beginning, but as it moved on, I gradually got a bit annoyed as it kept on adding in more and more women's lib. content. Oh,well. Over all it was a nice book.
Becca Dunlap
This is a wonderful stroy about women's life during the Civil War, and the effects it had on them when it ended. I think every child should read this around the time they learn about woman's rights because it truly dipicts a time that none of us can relate to now.
Debbie
Slightly self-centered perspective, really doesn't seem to tie significantly to the Civil War until about 75% through the book. Seemed more related to Civil and Human (female) Rights. Interesting premise relating to southern private schooling.
Phair
Such an engrossing book! Contained lots of impressive detail about dress, social life, women's & human rights issues. Realistically complex and shaded with a good ending that left you thinking. Hope this author writes more like this.
Califmom and Kids
The historical fiction novel piqued my daughter's interest, resulting in a trip to the library to find more books in this genre. She says she "hated History in school", but loves reading historical fiction. Alright by me!
Audrey  *Ebook and Romance Lover*
I think this is a great book. It showed how woman had to live on those times. Evvy was a brave girl and she stood up for what she believed in.
I agree with Evvy. It was a great book for me.
Lia
I wish I had written this book. It wasn't at all what I expected, and kept giving right up until the end. It's the only book Miriam Brenaman wrote, but it well worth the read.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A rich southern plantation owner's daughter lives through the trials of the Civil War in South Carolina, at the same time struggling with woman's rights.
Juliamkennedy
this book was OK, it was a good read if you don't have anything else to read. it was pretty good, though i have read much better books in my life.
Mary Grace
Mary Grace marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Mele Taliga
Mele Taliga marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Tory
Tory added it
Aug 14, 2014
Ashley K
Ashley K marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Miriam Brenaman is an author of children's books and young adult books.
More about Miriam Brenaman...

“There is simply something wrong with my conscience. I do try to wrestle with the devil as I ought, but, like Eve, even when tempted by the Forbidden Fruit of the Tree of Knowledge, I succumb. Good as they are, how could my parents have bred a daughter like me?” 1 likes