Start by marking “Fuzzy Nation” as Want to Read:
Fuzzy Nation

Fuzzy Nation (Fuzzy Sapiens)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  13,522 ratings  ·  1,498 reviews
Jack Holloway works alone, for reasons he doesn't care to talk about. Hundreds of miles from ZaraCorp's headquarters on planet, 178 light-years from the corporation's headquarters on Earth, Jack is content as an independent contractor, prospecting and surveying at his own pace. As for his past, that's not up for discussion.

Then, in the wake of an accidental cliff collapse,
Published May 10th 2011 by Tor Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fuzzy Nation, please sign up.

Eric You may not have realized it, but this book is a reboot. There are already two books about Fuzzies written by H. Beam Piper. They are a bit dated…moreYou may not have realized it, but this book is a reboot. There are already two books about Fuzzies written by H. Beam Piper. They are a bit dated (they were originally written in the 1960s), but I thoroughly enjoyed reading them when I was in my teens (which was merely a decade ago). Unfortunately there were nothing else. H. Beam Piper committed suicide.(less)

Wil Wheaton
All this week, I'm reading Fuzzy Nation for the audio book. Once again, I am overwhelmed with gratitude that I get to read a wonderful book, written by a wonderful author, and I get paid to do it.
Stephen
Friends...this here is a Fuzzy**:
Photobucket
**The tiny guy not the grunge rocker dude

Fuzzies are like intelligent, bi-pedal cats the size of a raccoon...which makes them just about as saturated in adorable and cuddle-worthiness as you can get. They are like ewoks only cute, smart, endearing, pleasant to be around, brave, noble, plot-enhancing and 100% non-assclowny:
Photobucket

Fuzzy Nation is a wonderfully successful reboot of H. Beam Piper’s popular, 1962 classic, Little Fuzzy.
Photobucket
With deep respect for Piper’s origin
Dan Schwent
On Zara XXIII, disbarred lawyer and current mineral prospector Jack Holloway finds an unimaginably valuable seam of sunstones, one that will make him unbelievably rich. Shortly thereafter, Holloway meets some of the world's native life, catlike creatures he names Fuzzys. Unfortunately, the Fuzzys appear to be sentient, putting Jack's, and ZaraCorp's, claim on the trillion credit sunstone seam in jeopardy. What's a prospector to do?

The Scalz does it again. Fuzzy Nation is a hilarious re-imagingin
Amanda
Aug 03, 2014 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: blog
I have never read a John Scalzi novel before, but I certainly don't think this will be my last. Fuzzy Nation is apparently a "reboot" of an earlier science fiction classic, although that's a novel with which I am unfamiliar (so I can't offer any comparisons to how Scalzi's reimagining of the novel measures up to the original). What I can say is that Scalzi's novel is both humorous and thought-provoking.

Fuzzy Nation is set in a future where mankind has successfully managed deep space exploration
Patrick
I never read the original story Scalzi drew inspiration from (H. Beam Piper's Little Fuzzy).

Despite the fact that I read this blind, I really enjoyed the book. It had all the pleasantly nostalgic feel of a classic golden-age sci-fi story, but without the ponderous description and opaque language that tends to make some of those older stories less than easy reading....
Penny
Simply awesome! This book really wasn't what I was expecting and I have to say I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.

I really liked the main characters and I have to say that Carl is one of my all time favourite characters! :) Jack is hilarious and complex and flawed and very real. I immediately enjoyed his attitude towards authority and found his banter with anyone who tried to enforce rules on him very amusing. The extensive cast of characters that Jack meets and encounters throughout
Chris
How is it that this book has been out for 4 years and I'm just now reading it? I remember when it came out thinking that it was an homage to H. Beam Piper's novel (which it is), and that I'd need to have read that one to get this one. That's not the case; after doing a little more looking, I saw that this is a reboot of the original, rather than a sequel. Scalzi explains all of this very well in his introduction.

Well, today was a good day for it, so that worked out; I needed a good distraction.
Chris
Jun 25, 2011 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Chris by: John Scalzi
Once upon a time, there was a man named H. Beam Piper, and he wrote a series of books that began with Little Fuzzy, a tale of space-going humans who have to learn to live on a world with an adorably cute, yet sentient, species. While I haven't read these books, my research tells me that they're the type of fun, optimistic science fiction that is so emblematic of the early 60s. They dealt not only with the issues of human expansion into space, but with what it means to be an intelligent, sentient ...more
Lindsey Rey
This was pure awesomness!!! HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!! Perfect for your first science fiction book or first John Scalzi book!
Mimi
A quick, fun, humorous story about ecology, sustainable living, ethics, and a snarky unfortunate contractor, Jack Holloway, who’s down on his luck. By mere chance, he accidentally struck gold which set in motion a series of events that pits him against Zaracorp, a powerful corporate entity that more or less owns the planet and is looking to exploit Holloway’s discovery. In short, they want him out of the way, permanently, but he wouldn’t give in so easily. What follow are hilarious exchanges of ...more
Jeffrey
Fuzzy Nation is an interesting concept. Scalzi's book has the same characters, and is basically the same novel as Little Fuzzy, H. Beam Piper's award winning novel, just re-imagined and retold. Think of it as Little Fuzzy 2.0

I have read Little Fuzzy and its sequels, including the well done book by William Tuning. Its interesting that Scalzi did not do a sequel or another book with similar aliens and similar events, but with his own characters.

Scalzi, I would guess, if asked would state that his
Laurel
May 31, 2011 Laurel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
This should be on every summer "must read" list. It's an homage to a classic, while also being an astute commentary on our own times. It's witty, funny, heart-warming, and a bit heart-breaking at times. I'd say that's quite a feat! Read this book!
Bryan
Amazing! I did NOT want this book to end! I loved every minute of it!

Beautiful illustration of Fuzzys by Michael Whelan from his web site.

This is a great book for everybody. This is the perfect book to give to somebody who has never yet read any decent science fiction. It's also a perfect book for a long-time SF fan to pick up. This is a perfect "beach read" that anybody can dive right into and find enjoyable. It's a perfect book to give a new reader - while not YA fiction per se, it's certainly
Cathy
I was thoroughly skeptical. I'm a big fan of the original Little Fuzzy, having first read it as a teenager and many times since. In fact, it was one of the first books I tried as an ebook when I got my iphone, so I was aware that it was out of copyright. So when I saw that Scalzi had written this book, a "reboot" of the original, I just didn't get it. Sure, the original was kind of old fashioned, but it was still cute and the environmental and moral themes were still just as valid. What the heck ...more
David
Aug 30, 2013 David rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lawyers who punch their clients in the face, best-selling authors who write fanfic, Ewoks
Warning: I am not spoiler-tagging the whole review, but the quote at the bottom could be considered a slight spoiler, bearing in mind that this is a retelling of a 50-year-old sci-fi classic.

So, I finally got around to reading my signed copy of John Scalzi's rewrite of Little Fuzzy. Go read that review. I'll wait.

In the Author's Note, Scalzi says:

Fuzzy Nation is a reimagining of the story and events in Little Fuzzy, the 1962 Hugo-nominated novel by H. Beam Piper. Specifically, Fuzzy Nation appr
Rob
Feb 03, 2015 Rob rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scalzi Fans
Executive Summary: This was a really fun quick listen. I blew threw it in 2 days and I might have done it in 1 if I wasn't listening to it.

Audio book: I really enjoy Wil Wheaton as a narrator. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's his snark. Normally I'd ding someone who doesn't do accents and voices for all the characters as so-so, but for me Mr. Wheaton just seems like a great fit for a Scalzi book. I totally get why he may not be everyone's cup of tea however.

Full Review
This one wasn't really on my
Kaethe
2011, June 14

Used to be Asimov wrote mysteries. He enjoyed crafting little puzzles set on other worlds that could only be solved by considering conditions on those planets. The first Robot books were all mysteries. Scalzi brings that kind of plotting to his re-imagining of Little Fuzzy. The result is entertaining as hell. Corporate machinations, legal maneuvering, the suppositions and discoveries of scientists, and the fuzzys who are unspeakably cute and clever cats. He's thrown in humor and pat
Jim
I really liked this. I haven't read Piper's novel or forgot it if I ever did, so I can't make any comparisons. Typical of Scalzi, it was a quick, well told tale full of great characters. The hero of the story is wonderful. He's quite the rascal. This is a space opera, has an exotic clime, & a fairly obvious plot. If you're looking for SF entertainment, you'll find it here. No great revelations or enduring wisdom, but a hell of a lot of fun.
Best use of a monkey in a science fiction reboot. Scalzi unabashedly reboots H. Beam Piper’s Fuzzy series. It’s been a long time since I read Little Fuzzy, but if memory serves, it was a charming exploration of our moral responsibility to those we can f*ck over and will materially benefit from doing so. Definitely got a little of Kipling’s “White Man’s Burden” ticking in the background. And The Trail of Tears. With proto-Ewoks. Yeah, now that I type these words I’m getting a sense of why I enjoy ...more
Rich
First: I like John Scalzi's stuff. This isn't me impugning him as a writer.
Second: I hated this book. I didn't just dislike it. I only finished it so I wouldn't have someone say, "Well, if you'd finished it you'd be allowed to have an opinion. It got better. You didn't finish so you don't know what you're talking about... etc." I finished it.
The ideas are good ones.
The people in the story are awful. They're argumentative, unlikable, bitchy, always at each other's throat literally as well as fi
TheBookSmugglers
Originally reviewed on: http://thebooksmugglers.com/2011/07/b...

Jack Holloway has always been the best at one thing: looking out for himself. With his latest contract with formidable intergalactic juggernaut ZaraCorp as a prospector on a class III planet hundreds of light years away from Earth, Jack and his trusty dog Carl (whom Jack has taught to detonate explosives) survey the planet for the next big mineral deposit to be explored and exploited for copious amounts of profit. When Jack accident
The Holy Terror
I liked this book better than Old Man's War, but only marginally so. I feel like Scalzi's goal is to create a "worst case scenario" and then proceed to figure out how his characters can work their way through it. This process is formulaic and less than organic, and leaves me feeling like I'm reading a person's "what if" diary.

Scalzi doesn't rely on character development to tell his story, and by doing so I can't help but feel apathetic towards these peoples' plight. I felt more sympathy for the
Milda Page Runner
Mar 03, 2015 Milda Page Runner rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Milda by: Mimi
3 stars

Lighthearted and humorous sci-fi, uncomlicated story, adorable creatures. Recommended to all the cats and dogs lovers. Perfect as a mood lifter after the darker books.
Lyn
HOORAY!!!!

John Scalzi has accomplished that rarest of achievements, not only modernizing an idea and freshening it for a new generational audience, but also making it better. This wonderful book should be made into a film and directed by a collaboration of Joe Dante and Adam Sandler.

description

In an editorial note, Scalzi describes writing Fuzzy Nation as a “reboot” of the classic 1962 science fiction novel Little Fuzzy by H. Beam Piper. Scalzi explains that as great a work as Piper had, it was clearly dat
Kristie
This book was better than I expected in some ways. I was a bit concerned that the fuzzies would be over done for comic effect or I'd be reading an Ewok story. As it turned out, the fuzzies were fairly original and interesting creatures.

I generally liked the characters, though a couple were over-the-top stereotypical. You know, the cliche bad cop that just isn't very smart? Yup. And the executive that is only out to make a profit and happens to have no scruples about pushing his weight around? Y
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

When Jack Holloway’s dog blows up a cliff during a prospecting mission on the planet Zarathustra, Jack loses his contract with ZaraCorp. Fortunately, inside the cliff he discovers the biggest vein of precious gems that have ever been found on the planet and he gets to take a percentage of the profits as finder’s fee. Things start to get complicated when Jack returns home to discover that his house has been invaded by a fuzzy mammal that seems a lot smarter
Sara Price.
This was amazing. I loved it. John Scalzi is awesome.
Bookcrazy
Schade, dass das deutsche Cover so lieblos gestaltet wurde und nicht mal ein Fuzzy oben ist. Ohne eine Empfehlung hätte ich wohl nie zu diesem Buch gegriffen.

Das Original-Cover ist hingegen toll:
description

Mein einziges Problem war, dass "Fuzzy Nation/Der wilde Planet" eigentlich eine FanFiction Geschichte der von "Little Fuzzy" von H. Beam Piper's "Fuzzy Sapiens"-Trilogie ist, was der Autor bereits im Vorwort hervorhebt. Finde eigentlich eigenständige Ideen normalerweise besser.
(Buch 1)

Aber trotzdem hat m
Ben Babcock
I didn’t quite manage to read all the library books I borrowed before leaving the country. In the Thunder Bay airport, prior to boarding the plane to Pearson, I renewed my library books online so my dad wouldn’t be obligated to take them back until it was convenient for him. However, I made it a priority to finish Fuzzy Nation before venturing across the Atlantic—not because it would prepare me better for Britain or anything, though it is another world over here. I just didn’t want to have to go ...more
SciFi and Fantasy...: "Fuzzy Nation" Final Thoughts *Spoilers* 34 159 Mar 15, 2015 07:36PM
SciFi and Fantasy...: "Fuzzy Nation" First Impressions *No Spoilers* 64 340 Feb 20, 2015 08:21AM
line of fuzzies 1 37 Jan 23, 2014 07:10AM
Sci Fi Aficionados: * January 2013 - Random Read: Fuzzy Nation 8 75 Mar 04, 2013 08:02AM
  • Little Fuzzy (Fuzzy Sapiens, #1)
  • METAtropolis: Cascadia
  • Caliban's War (Expanse, #2)
  • WWW: Watch (WWW, #2)
  • Rule 34 (Halting State, #2)
  • Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (Vorkosigan Saga, #15)
  • Bitter Seeds (The Milkweed Triptych, #1)
  • Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch, #2)
  • Up Against It
  • House of Suns
  • Echo (Alex Benedict, #5)
  • A Beautiful Friendship (Honorverse: Stephanie Harrington, #1)
  • Year Zero
John Scalzi, having declared his absolute boredom with biographies, disappeared in a puff of glitter and lilac scent.

(If you want to contact John, using the mail function here is a really bad way to do it. Go to his site and use the contact information you find there.)
More about John Scalzi...

Fuzzy Sapiens (8 books)
  • Little Fuzzy (Fuzzy Sapiens, #1)
  • Fuzzy Sapiens (Fuzzy Sapiens, #2)
  • Fuzzies and Other People (Fuzzy Sapiens, #3)
  • Fuzzy Ergo Sum
  • Caveat Fuzzy
  • Fuzzy Bones
  • Golden Dream
Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1) Redshirts The Ghost Brigades (Old Man's War, #2) The Last Colony (Old Man's War #3) Lock In

“Get off my planet, you son of a bitch.” 26 likes
“You're an interesting person, Jack." Sullivan said. "I wish I could figure out what you were thinging when you punched Stern and turned on Isabel."

"Well, I think that's the thing." Holloway said. "I think it's clear that sometimes I just don't think."

"I think you do." Sullivan said. "It's just you think about you first. The not thinking part comes right after that.”
5 likes