Start by marking “Kick Back (Kate Brannigan, #2)” as Want to Read:
Kick Back (Kate Brannigan, #2)

Kick Back (Kate Brannigan #2)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  464 ratings  ·  23 reviews
'Kate Brannigan is truly welcome. Hot on one-liners, Chinese food, tabloid papers and Thai boxing, she is refreshingly funny' Daily Mail
Published September 1st 2006 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Kick Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kick Back

The Taming of the Shrew by William ShakespeareWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëHenry V by William ShakespeareKiss Me Kate by Cole PorterThe Wives of Henry VIII by Antonia Fraser
Kiss Me Kate
96th out of 104 books — 18 voters
The Taming of the Shrew by William ShakespeareCatherine, Called Birdy by Karen CushmanWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenHenry V by William Shakespeare
Books with main characters named Catherine
27th out of 30 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

The Cats Mother
Second in this series about Manchester-based PI Kate Brannigan, this has her investigating 3 separate cases: one fizzles out as someone else solves it for her, while the other two - missing conservatories, and a friends lost property deposit - which both involve highly confusing mortgage scams - are excruciatingly boring. She spends most of the book driving around, on stake-out, or eating Chinese food, when she's not explaining all the technology which was clearly super-snazzy at the time, but 2 ...more
Mathilde
This book featured private investigator Kate Brannigan and had a couple storylines; Kate was looking into some land sales and some missing conservatories. I thought the writing was good, but that being said I am not sure I understood all of the details of the property transfers and financials and there were a lot of characters to keep straight with my somewhat sporadic reading of this book. I never really connected with Kate as a protagonist. I have really enjoyed other books by this author, but ...more
Irma J. Klein
Always a page turner

Val McDermott is a master craftswoman who spins a wicked tale with twists and turns and keeps you breathlessly waiting for her next book. love her plots, she is absolutely diabolical.
Chris Porter
Easy to read. Her quips rate alongside Harlan Coben's.
Balthazar Lawson
This is the second book in the Kate Brannigan series and Kate has to deal with two cases of fraud and along the way find out who is trying to killer her. It's an entertaining read, though it does get bogged down a bit, unlike the previous book in the series.

This book is nearly 20 years old and shows how times have changed with debate about getting a mobile phone and there is mention of the M63, but this road no longer exists. Where would a private investigator be without a mobile phone in this d
Kay Robinson
Kate Brannigan is on the trail again, doing what she does best, and, as usual under pressure. What seems like a little favour for a friend soon turns out to be a major financial fraud. Long before she gets anywhere near the truth she finds herself in danger, an attempt on her life. This is one of the fastest-paced novels I've read in a long time. Val is on top form as she has Kate racing round the North West looking for clues and stirring up muddy waters as she does. I loved this, a cracking goo ...more
Dave Riley
Relies on 'attitude' to drive the interest in a sort of fem take on hard boiled fiction. Far too smart for my liking. This is worsened by a complicated plot. The writing is nonetheless quite good with some stand out throw away lines...and the lead character -- Branigan -- is humble enough to make mistakes and admit to them as this is all first person story telling. I would have thought this was early McDermid but it was published as late as 2006.
Alice
I agree with others here - not the author's strongest or most dramatic work, and I'm not sure I totally understood the ins and outs, but I still read it very quickly and wanted to know what happened. Also agree about the technology being so dated - what really tickled me was that a laptop was presented to the reader as impressive for being able to hold 60 novels, and I read the book on my Kindle, which can hold thousands!
Mike
The second McDermid book I've read, and not a patch on the first one, "Fever of the Bone". The characters are a bit stilted, and speak with annoying TV glib phrases. The plot is a bit convoluted, revolving around property conveyancing, mortgages and conservatory sales! Not sure I'll try another McDermid in the near future. It's an easy, light read, but leaves you not feeling that your time was well spent.
JodiP
I think I put this on the Kindle list and checked it out before I'd read the first Kate Brannigan. I decided to give this series another try. Yep, I jsut don't care for it that much. The main character is sort of a cookie-cutter brash woman, and while it's great to see a strong female character, she seems a bit two-dimensional. There are so many other great books out there, and this series is not one of them.
Erin
I kept thinking there was going to be some kind of overlap between the two cases that Kate was working in this book; it just seemed too coincidental that she'd get two really big mortgage fraud cases to work at the same time.

Oh, and this book had me craving Chinese food every day I was reading. Kate and Richard really need to branch out on their food habits.
Naomi
I am a huge fan of the majority of Val McDermid's works. This series is a bit weaker than her Wire in the Blood series and a large number of her stand alones. Because I am such a fan of this author, I will continue with the series, but wish it would include some of the classic McDermid twistedness.
Margaret
It was OK but feels terribly dated because of the references to mobile phones (huge, clunky & rare) and computers - floppy discs, computers without hard drives. Feels like it's set shortly after Henry VIII died rather than early 90s. Nothing ages worse than technology.
Beth
The second Kate Brannigan, P.I., novel. An interesting tale of fraud and murder. Brannigan makes an interesting character with strong intelligence and a novel approach to her work. She is not afraid to skirt the law to get her man.
Jude
Love these books- this story was another clever journey through dodgy dealings; friendships, relationships set in and around Manchester.
Ricardo
Really enjoyed this one. Easy read, same sassy writing, and who knew real estate fraud could be so interesting
Barbara
A goodish mystery novel. A nice change from the other mysteries am reading. Like the Yorkshire bits.
Karis North
Better than book 1, although the focus on "mod" technology makes it very outdated (written in 1993).
Lidia
Dated but I liked this story,because of style and for the smart protagonist.
Katherine
The trouble with having technology in books is they get dated quickly.
Donna
Not one of my favorite in this series, but I do like Val McDermid's writing!
Heather Goldsmith
Didn't really enjoy this one. The characters were ok, though.
Robert Roth
Robert Roth marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Victoria Mitchell
Victoria Mitchell marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Rosilyne
Rosilyne is currently reading it
Oct 26, 2014
Astrid
Astrid added it
Oct 23, 2014
  • Three Complete Novels: M is for Malice / N is for Noose / O is for Outlaw
  • Beyond Suspicion (Jack Swyteck, #2)
  • Master Of The Game/If Tomorrow Comes
  • The Secret Portrait (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #1)
  • Killer Year: A Criminal Anthology
  • Under World (Dalziel & Pascoe, #10)
  • African Queen: The Real Life of the Hottentot Venus
  • Voodoo Doll (Detective Jill Jackson, #2)
  • Deaths of Jocasta (Micky Knight, #2)
  • Testimone inconsapevole
  • A Necessary End (Inspector Banks, #3)
  • Francis (Felidae, #2)
  • The Last Good Day (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #9)
  • Violet to Vita: The Letters of Violet Trefusis to Vita Sackville-West, 1910-1921
  • Free Love and Other Stories
  • The Christening Day Murder (Christine Bennett, #3)
  • Die dunkle Seite
  • Trade-Off: Why Some Things Catch On, and Others Don't
Val McDermid was born and schooled on the east coast of Scotland and then Oxford University after which she became a journalist.

Her first book, Report for Murder was published in 1987 and since then she has gone on to have 25 more books published.

She lives in Manchester and Northumberland with 3 cats.
More about Val McDermid...
The Mermaids Singing (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #1) The Wire In The Blood (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #2) A Place of Execution Fever of the Bone (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #6) The Torment of Others (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #4)

“He frowned as he struggled to remember. It was like watching an elephant crochet.” 16 likes