Start by marking “Infinity's Shore (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Infinity's Shore (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #2)

Infinity's Shore (Uplift Storm Trilogy #2)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  5,810 ratings  ·  56 reviews
For the fugitive settlers of Jijo, it is truly the beginning of the end. As starships fill the skies, the threat of genocide hangs over the planet that once peacefully sheltered six bands of sapient beings. Now the human settlers of Jijo and their alien neighbors must make heroic—and terrifying—choices. A scientist must turn against the benefactors she's been trained to lo ...more
Published November 3rd 1997 by Bantam Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Infinity's Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infinity's Shore

Dune by Frank HerbertEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Best Science Fiction
428th out of 1,801 books — 2,670 voters
The Uplift War by David BrinStartide Rising by David BrinSundiver by David BrinThe Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. WellsPlanet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle
Biological Uplift
8th out of 14 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Ben Babcock
Tatiana
Call this one a 2.5 star book. I do want to know what happens. There are plenty of cliffhangers throughout and some big ones at the end. I like some of the characters, Dwer, Emerson, Rety, maybe Gillian. The aliens are cool and very different from any other aliens I've read about in 30 years of reading Science Fiction. So I give him a lot of points for originality and inventiveness. He seems to think up new and different alien species effortlessly. The science is good, which is a huge plus.

But.
David B
In this second novel of David Brin's Uplift Storm trilogy, the society of outlaw races on Jijo are thrown into further chaos with the arrival of the super-powerful Jophur, a hostile race of alien conquerors. We are reintroduced to the crew of Streaker, who plot their escape from under the nose of their fearsome adversaries.

This novel suffers from the same problem as most middle works in a trilogy: having neither a true beginning nor a true ending, it exists as nothing but middle that goes on and
Kelly Flanagan
David Brin is fast becoming another of my favorite authors. Especially with this series. I do love the alien races he has created, and the way they are able to mesh together on the planet Jijo as they don't anywhere else in the universe. The idea of all sapient races having been 'uplifted' by a patron race except Humans.
The whole premise of his universe and peoples are intricate and all consuming. I couldn't put either of the books in this series down until I finished them.
Nathan
For those who haven't read the trilogy: trilogy in David Brin's case means it's one giant-ass book split in three, the volumes don't work on their own as separate units.

This book was a LOT better than Brightness Reef, finally here was the action and plot the whole first book felt to be building up towards. I loved how the fates of the cast of Startide Rising and Brightness Reef were intertwined ((view spoiler)
Andy McReynolds
I enjoyed the first book in the series as well as the previous uplift stories. Unfortunately, I burned out on Jijo about halfway through this one and made it about 75%. I enjoy the writing style of Brin but I felt this novel crushed the wonder and promise of the first book. I felt the recap and inaction of the characters, whom I did enjoy just left me wanting and the reappearance of Streaker did not bring about the momentum I expected.

I will list this one to re-read in the future, as I started
Lamar Latrell
The pacing was better…if you call putting the 100 pages of nothing's happening in the middle of the book better pacing.
But he still has the problem of introducing characters and following them for far too long only to do absolutely nothing with them. (Dedinger, I'm looking at you.)
And of the two villains (three, really, but one is just a puppet of the other), one doesn't do anything until they're almost destroyed (the rothen) and the other, while still one-dimensional, at least has an excuse for
Manuel Barrera
David Brin is known for inserting current scientific knowledge of cosmos, biology, and evolutionary science both biological and non-biological (albeit at the edges of known science and speculation beyond, but always on scientific principles). The Uplift Storm Trilogyl exemplifies Brin's mastery of science and story to bring forth an intellectual appreciation of future and past. Brin has been my favorite science fiction author since he came on the scene decades ago. Indeed, in my mind he has repl ...more
David Bonesteel

Onefinemess

Yes, I read this in a day. Something like 850 pages today - 200 from the previous book, and this one in its entirety.

The entire fucking thing is a page turner. You know, how the last third of a book usually this? The whole goddam book was 100% last third. Totally made up for the unwieldy feeling I got from Brightness Reef. Which I just finished this morning. Oi.

It goes without saying that I can't wait to read the next one. But I should probably go to sleep or something... Definitely not letting
Dark-Draco
Another great installment in the Uplift saga. The planet Jijo, and the six Sooner races hiding out there, face trying to fight a Jophur ship that is intent on capturing the renegade ship Streaker. But the Dolphin crewed ship is hiding, facing problems of its own, and the Six races are unable to comply. Using what little technology they do have, they are surprised to find that they can hurt the enemy, but only for a short while. It is when the two groups come together that a plan is hatched to de ...more
Richard
What a change, while “Brightness Reef” was a bit of slog Infinity’s Shore’s pacing was good, and the story was engaging. There was action that moved the plot forward and the various characters now seem to have parts to play that serve the story directly rather than mostly background world building.

This is more in keeping with the truly good "Uplift War". All the mysteries of Jijo have not yet come to light and the crew of the Streaker are still in danger but things are getting really interesting
Andreea Pausan
In the last lines of the previous book, Brightness Reef, we find out the story comes round to the adventure of the Streaker, its dolphin crew and the mysterious artifact that has the five Galaxis in turmoil. The story gets better and the suspense keeps on building.
Al

Nebula and Hugo award-winning author David Brin continues his bestselling Uplift series in this second novel of a bold new trilogy.

Imaginative, inventive, and filled with Brin's trademark mix of adventure, passion, and wit, Infinity's Shore carries us further than ever before into the heart of the most beloved and extraordinary science fiction sagas ever written.

Eric
Aug 10, 2014 Eric rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those committed to spending 1500 pages on this trilogy
Shelves: sci-fi
While a bit more happens than was in the slog that was Brightness Reef, this is still overlarge. Several of the subplots are unnecessary. These books would be better if they attempted to cover the same story in about 2/3rds the words.

Thomas Fackler
In fact I give it a five here because Brightness Reef continues to tidy up an uplift universe thrown into sentient chaos. Brin also wraps in a new world and new hope for disparate alien clans. I look forward to the third book of this arc to find or what happens.
Martyn F
The first half of the book is a bit longwinded and has some redundancy. A lot of new characters are added to the story and their tale is overlapping with other characters' tales. I had the feeling the story wasn't progressing at all.

But afther this first half the book picks up speed and does progress and become interesting and even exciting again. All in all a good enough sequel.
Richard
Infinity's Shore is technically a middle book and does
what a middle book has to do, advancing the plot and setting
the stage for the final volume. Some things are resolved
but most is still hint and promise. Don't look for neatly
tied threads here and, even in the concluding volume, don't
look for absolute conclusions; I don't think that's where
Brin's interests lie. Even so, taken just on its own,
tjos book is a rich and varied skein of stories in
the service of a greater one, told from the viewpoints
Daniel Smith
First 50 pages are an ok rehash of the first book, then there's good stuff, then it ended 500 pages later right as it got really exciting. The third one better not let me down!
Margaret
There are too many characters-the multiple storylines could be pursued in more depth and detail by simplifying the roll call.
Diane
Typical of the middle volume of a trilogy, this book is a bit sluggish in places as the author takes his time exploring his incredibly detailed world. He brings in characters from previous books, hints at big doings behind mysterious events, and continues following some really interesting characters as they become more deeply involved in world-changing events. The strength of this book (and the whole series) is Brin's ability to create convincing (and fascinating) alien characters. This is not a ...more
Michael Evans
Like the other novels, this book explores some interesting concepts in a pan galactic society, but brings the implications home in true space opera style. Here are the main two concepts in the series

1)intelligence is too complex to be evolutionally emergent, so it took 4-5 billion years for it to happen the first time, and every time since has been the result of genetic manipulation by intelligent species that have come before.

2)Language shapes intelligence and thought, which shapes language. A
Peter
I read this book a few years ago (listed as 2010) and am rating it based on lingering impression.
Michelle
I enjoyed this second book, although it had been a very long time since I read the first one in this trilogy, so it took me a while to figure out what was going on and remember who was who. The format of switching between characters every chapter also threw me off for a while. A very interesting plot concept and I enjoyed most of the characters. Brin came up with some really unusual alien races and I liked reading about them. I have heard mixed things about the third book, so while this one real ...more
Louis C Smith
too contrived for the story to flow
Katherine
I quite enjoyed the ongoing adventures of the Jijoans. The idea of 6 different races living together on a planet is a very interesting one, and the culture that they have is very interesting.

The only issue I have is that Brin tends to have one character that's the same character style throughout the books -- a young guy who is not entirely tame. Dwer, Robert Oneagle, Toshio. They all feel like the same character in the end.

Still, the conflicts and such that go on in these books are very compelli
Joe
Mar 13, 2008 Joe rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Sci-fi
Shelves: science-fiction
This is part of a grand trilogy that started with the Uplift War, Startide Rising and Sundiver, and while they share the same universe, they aren't required reaqding.
This Trilogy about the world Jijo on the otherhand are all tied together and they weave a grand tapestry together about all of the loose ends from the previous three novels.
In the end Brin makes his case for greatness and leaves you wanting more...
Dennis
Brin's second book of the second "Uplift" trilogy and I'm having a great time. It is sometimes a challenge to keep track of characters from 8 different species but Brin has a way of slipping in a simple characteristic that lets you know which being a particular character is. I'm getting ready to start book three and expect it to be just as much fun as the first two books.
Titus Fortner
I really enjoyed the return of the characters from Startide Rising (second book of the first trilogy). The pacing in this book was much better than the Brightness Reef (first book of this second trilogy), which makes sense since it was mostly setup for this book. Things have ended in an exciting place, and I have high hopes for the third book.
  • Ring (Xeelee Sequence, #4)
  • Across the Sea of Suns (Galactic Center, #2)
  • The Reality Dysfunction 1: Emergence (Night's Dawn 1)
  • The Legacy of Heorot (Heorot #1)
  • Learning the World: A Scientific Romance
  • Anvil of Stars (Forge of God, #2)
  • Janus (Janus, #1-2)
  • The Engines of God (The Academy, #1)
  • The Sundering (Dread Empire's Fall, #2)
  • Chanur's Venture (Chanur, #2)
David Brin is a scientist, speaker, and world-known author. His novels have been New York Times Bestsellers, winning multiple Hugo, Nebula and other awards. At least a dozen have been translated into more than twenty languages.

Existence, his latest novel, offers an unusual scenario for first contact. His ecological thriller, Earth, foreshadowed global warming, cyberwarfare and near-future trends
More about David Brin...

Uplift Storm Trilogy (3 books)
  • Brightness Reef (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #1)
  • Heaven's Reach (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #3)
Startide Rising (The Uplift Saga, #2) The Postman The Uplift War (The Uplift Saga, #3) Sundiver (The Uplift Saga, #1) Foundation's Triumph (Second Foundation Trilogy, #3)