Ill Wind (Anna Pigeon, #3)

Ill Wind (Anna Pigeon #3)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  4,740 ratings  ·  223 reviews
In Ill Wind, Barr's powerful new novel, Park Ranger Anna Pigeon confronts death among the ruins. Colorado's Mesa Verde National Park is noted for its well-preserved cliff dwellings, the sole legacy of the Anasazi civilization, which vanished without any other trace in the twelfth century. Separated from friends and family and haunted by personal demons, Anna finds solace i...more
Published 1997 by Avon (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Ill Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ill Wind

Joy
My take so far on the Anna Pigeon mysteries: no single book is a standout that I feel like I need to read again. That said, there are so many elements of the books that I enjoy. Anna has such a strong personality, but her weaknesses are compelling and realistic, not a token fatal flaw. Her relationships with friends and family are deep and rich. (Molly is especially awesome, and I am always happy when the two sisters end up snarking at each other over the phone.) Barr's prose has a sly sense of...more
Sue
this was the first Nevada Barr novel I read. Picked it up at an airport shop, not sure if it was on the way home from my Smithsonian trip to the Southwest. That would be fitting as I visited Mesa
Verde on that trip. That would have been spring of 1996. Since then I've read all of her books. She, Dana Stabenow, Sara Paretsky, and James Lee Burke are probably my favorite American mystery writers. They all write with a strong sense of place and their characters are human. I should add to this list...more
Carol
Jun 30, 2014 Carol added it
My Rating 3 Stars for Mystery 4 for Setting Appeal

With 58 National Parks in the US, Nevada Barr has more than twice the locales to stage her mysteries than Sue Grafton has letters of the alphabet. My enjoyment of the Anna Pigeon National Park Ranger Series is strongly due to the settings.

Bear with me as I tell you this story yet again. My first Nevada Barr outing was Blind Descent, #6 in the series. It was given to me by the Park Ranger who led my cave crawl at Sequoia National Park. Had I read...more
Book Concierge
3.5***

Book #3 in the Anna Pigeon series, has the national park ranger assigned to Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado. Unlike her previous posts, Mesa Verde is less about the natural beauty and outdoor majesty, and more focused on the archeological interest in the ruins of the Anasazi cliff dwellings. Anna has to deal with controversy surrounding construction of a badly needed upgraded water system, an ex-husband who is stalking and threatening the park superintendant’s secretary, reported sigh...more
Altivo Overo
Perhaps not one of Barr's greatest. On the good side of the list, and as always, the details of the setting (Mesa Verde National Park) and historical background are accurate and well-researched. The plot is complex, as this author's murder mysteries usually are, and there are enough characters to make it confusing for a while. The twists and surprises are creative and unexpected for the most part.

On the other hand, some of the premises were difficult for me to believe and the combination of fact...more
I love Anna Pigeon- and although I could see the solution to this one coming, it was still a good story. I think Nevada Barr does really well at bringing the "ranger world" to the reader; even though I was a ranger for a different agency many of her descriptions and comments really ring true (in another Pigeon novel she made a reference to R&R Uniforms, our old uniform contractor, that had me nodding my head in total agreement, it was spot on). Reading these books also makes me want to get r...more
KarenF
Another good solid Anna Pigeon mystery from Nevada Barr. For me Anna fills in nicely while waiting for the next Kinsey Millhone book. Like Kinsey she's older (but not old), a little bit jaded and working through some pain in her past. But unlike Kinsey who is firmly set in her hometown each Anna Pigeon book takes place in a different National Park. All the different settings and the different emphasis of each park is an integrated well into the mystery.
Lorraine
Set in Mesa Verde park in Colorado, this was a slow book. Anna has again moved parks, and is living with two other female rangers, and drinks too much wine. She is disturbed by the large number of people needing to be carried out of the park. Then her partner is found dead in one of the rock houses. She is joined in the investigation by Frederick the Fed, who she first worked with on Isle Royale.
Amber Foxx
Nevada Barr doesn’t need my review, but I’m writing it anyway. I discovered the Anna Pigeon series somewhere in the middle when I grabbed an audiobook for a long trip a couple of years ago, and have been hooked on it ever since. Depending on what my library has on hand for audiobooks when I make my cross-country migrations, I’ll get the latest in the series in spite of the fact that I haven’t quite finished going back to buy and read all the earlier ones or filled in a couple of gaps between lat...more
Nicole
This series is gaining depth and the character is changing. By the end I begin to feel more interest in Ms Pigeon as a person rather than just the sleuth.
The choice of a ranger working the national parks caught my initial attention being a biologist. I have known a number of rangers over the years and Ms Barr's depictions feel very real.
Patricia
I have been a fan of Nevada Barr's series featuring Anna Pigeon. When this book and other's by Nevada Barr became available in a lot purchase, I snapped it up.
Anna Pigeon is a woman coping with loss - the death of her husband. She hid for a time in a bottle and then decided to move on to a new life and new environment - The National Park Service. She is now a park ranger, paramedic and law enforcement officer. She has new challenges, new people, new territory and new skills to deal with.
Now sh...more
Frank
This is the 3rd entry in the engaging Anna Pigeon series. This one takes place in Mesa Verde National Park amid the cliff dwellings of the Anasazi Indians. Anna encounters some strange doings at the Park including a higher than average number of unexplained illnesses and injuries. On top of this, she has a murder to contend with of one of her closer friends at the Park. Some attribute the strange illnesses to the spirits of the Anasazi but Anna is able to untangle what is really happening with t...more
Sarah Batchelder
I didn't care for this book as much as the other two Anna Pigeon books I've read. It had a much slower beginning and more than a couple annoying characters. I started really getting into the story about halfway through - once everything had picked up.
Debbie Howell
Accidentally read it twice. Glad I did. Good insights into the character Anna Pigeon. Mesa Verde made for an interesting setting. If you like mysteries and you're a fan of Nevada Barr or strong female protagonists I'd recommend.
Jeanne
Another great Anna Pigeon mystery, this one set at Mesa Verde, one of my favorite vacation destinations. Anna's character is developing in some interesting ways so I will continue to read this series in order.
Donna
This is the first Anna Pigeon mystery that I've read. The setting was interesting and the mystery complex enough to keep me interested. I really enjoyed this book and I will look for more in this series.
Nola Decker
Mar 22, 2014 Nola Decker rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone traveling to the Mesa Verde area
Recommended to Nola by: Mancos Dude Ranch
I usually don't read this kind of fiction but it was recommended when I took a trip to the Mancos/Mesa Verde area. I totally loved this book! I liked the characters and the mystery of it all. The best part about it was how it really brought Mesa Verde to life for me. When I visited the park, I felt like I had already spent a bunch of time there. I even recognized places described in the book. It was clear that the author had done her research and really knew the history and geography of the park...more
Martha
I'm really enjoying these Anna Pigeon books. Very good mysteries and characters. I enjoy Anna's take on people.
Kathleen Marineau
Anna Pigeon is Rangering at Mesa Verde when people start dying. The interpreters blame increased medical evacuations, strange lights, and the death of a ranger, on the ghosts of the previous inhabitants. Anna sets out to prove otherwise.

A good read with enough description that those who've never touristed there can keep up with the action, of which there is plenty.

A few awkward paragraphs and lack of "she saids" in the first half keep it from a higher rating. The plot is clean, the events have...more
Gail Karwoski
Nevada Barr's books follow a formula, of course: Ranger Pigeon is assigned to a national park, and the exotic setting becomes an integral part of the whodunnit. In each assignment, Pigeon encounters stodgy locals who are mired in their outmoded ideas, their petty resentments, corruption, or worse. Pigeon must push through the entanglements (the "red herrings") as well as increasing perils to find the truth, and her quest becomes more critical as each corpse is found ...

Ill Wind takes place in...more
chris
Anna Pigeon, a park ranger at Colorado's Mesa Verde National Park, is a woman on the mend. She's a widow, she's battling alcohol dependence, and she's recently changed jobs. Despite her pain, she reaches tentatively toward Stacey Meyer, a ranger trainee who has also endured his share of middle-aged pain. Shortly after he mishandles a crisis that results in a child's death, Stacey himself is found dead. Suicide? Anna thinks it unlikely. Murder? Possibly, but who and why? When the husband of anoth...more
Linda Day
Wouldn't you just love to have a name like "Nevada" ? It's so unusual for a first name, I mean. If you live in Las Vegas or Henderson, it is not so unusual. As I am from Michigan, and before that Utah, and before that Oregon, and before that California I could never have pulled it off ! Michigan Day ... sounds rather like a weather report wouldn't you say ?

I digress ... so, this book "Ill Wind" is by Nevada Barr. I l.o.v.e. Nevada Barr ! And her heroine, Anna Pigeon, who is a Nat'l Park Ranger a...more
C

The book ended and I was clicking the Next Page button on the Kindle in the futile hope the device had just lagged and there was still another chapter left to go.

To that, Miss Barr, I say "Harrumph!" I don't trust you to follow through in the next books with the direction you suddenly took it near the end, there.

I love that this is set in Mesa Verde, and I loved that she described the after-hours park having a creepy, otherworldly feel to it (to clarify: Pigeon's perspective, not her drama quee...more
Barbara Mitchell
This is an older novel in the National Park Ranger Anna Pigeon series that I had somehow missed. Reading it filled a hole in my knowledge of Anna. I had known forever that she had had a drinking problem and perhaps was a recovering alcoholic. I assumed she started drinking heavily after her husband's death but I didn't know when she had admitted alcohol was a severe problem for her.

Well, now I know. It's in Ill Wind when she is stationed at Mesa Verde National Park that everything comes to a hea...more
Kate
"Anna Pigeon, a park ranger at Colorado's Mesa Verde National Park, is a woman on the mend. She's a widow, she's battling alcohol dependence, and she's recently changed jobs. Despite her pain, she reaches tentatively toward Stacey Meyer, a ranger trainee who has also endured his share of middle-aged pain. Shortly after he mishandles a crisis that results in a child's death, Stacey himself is found dead. Suicide? Anna thinks it unlikely. Murder? Possibly, but who and why? When the husband of anot...more
Caralyn
Another trip to Anna Pigeon country! The desert doesn't particularly appeal to me, but Ms. Barr did a nice job evoking some its strange beauty in this book. She also showed us more of Anna's sadness and pain. I do so like how she gives her character time to simply think. Anna often wanders away to ruminate on a case, a memory, or about nothing at all. It's a good reminder to make time just to think.

I also found some of the prose to be quite moving, like this passage:

"On Isle Royal Anna had patro...more
Bonnie Streetman
Loved it. Nevada Barr is such a good writer and I love her character, Anna Pigeon. She's a law enforcement ranger who solves murders that are often related to natural resource issues, and every book is set in a different national park. This one is set in Mesa Verde, in Southern Colorado. I learned so much about the place that I visited as a child. I can remember being terrified of the long steep ladders at the end of the Cliff Palace trail. I'd probably do a lot better now. I'm used to running u...more
Sharon
Third in the Anna Pigeon series...Anna is a ranger for the National Park System. Currently she's at Mesa Verde in Colorado where a fellow ranger is murdered, but it's not an obvious murder and there are no real hard and fast clues. Ms Barr paints a beautiful landscape in her description of the park grounds and references to the Anasazi who lived in the cliffs. The pace is slow but always interesting and Anna is very likable character. A good read.
Lighthearted
It’s not unusual for a few visitors to experience health problems while making the climb to explore Mesa Verde’s ruins but the numbers seem high this season. Ranger Anna Pigeon suspects there’s a reason but can’t quite place what it is. Then there are the more easily detectable problems to deal with: someone’s sabotaging construction equipment, the park secretary is being harassed by her ex-husband and someone’s finding a way into closed areas after hours. Frederick Stanton, the FBI agent from A...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
The ruins of Colorado's Mesa Verde National Park home of the Anasazi ruins, provide a place of solace for Anna Pigeon until their beauty is tainted by death.

Frederick Stanton, a quirky and very likable FBI agent once again joins Anna in her quest for answers. Stacey Meyer who is a ranger trainee and co-worker dies and is ruled as being suicide. Too coincidental for Anna's tastes. Especially after a child is also dies due to inhaling something toxic.

Then there are other pressing problems to deal...more
  • Breakup (Kate Shugak, #7)
  • Listening Woman (Navajo Mysteries, #3)
  • The Big Dig (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #9)
  • The Eagle Catcher (Wind River Reservation, #1)
  • A Wild and Lonely Place (Sharon McCone, #16)
  • Chile Death (China Bayles, #7)
Nevada Barr is a mystery fiction author, known for her "Anna Pigeon" series of mysteries, set in National Parks in the United States. Barr has won an Agatha Award for best first novel for Track of the Cat.

Barr was named after the state of her birth. She grew up in Johnstonville, California. She finished college at the University of California, Irvine. Originally, Barr started to pursue a career in...more
More about Nevada Barr...
Track of the Cat (Anna Pigeon, #1) Blind Descent (Anna Pigeon, #6) A Superior Death (Anna Pigeon, #2) Firestorm (Anna Pigeon, #4) Flashback (Anna Pigeon, #11)