Start by marking “Plain Tales from the Hills” as Want to Read:
Plain Tales from the Hills

Plain Tales from the Hills

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  745 ratings  ·  58 reviews
First published in 1888, "Plain Tales from the Hills" was Kipling's first volume of prose fiction. Most of the stories it includes had already appeared in the "Civil and Military Gazette; " they were written before he reached the age of 22; and they show a remarkably precocious literary talent. His vignettes of life in Brittish India a hundred years ago give vivid insight ...more
Paperback
Published December 30th 1991 by Penguin Classics (first published 1888)

To ask other readers questions about Plain Tales from the Hills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plain Tales from the Hills

Steve
This is a difficult book for me to review, since I read it as a freebie e-book. The table of contents sucks, and I can't go back and navigate the book -- at least not in a way that I can figure out. You get what you pay for. That said, a lot of these Kipling short story collections ARE available free. If you want to read these short stories in their original collection context (as opposed to some collection anthology), you can do so.

I read Plain Tales over a considerable stretch of time, so it'
C.
Too many people, when reviewing Kipling, review what the they assume to be the man, not his work. It is fashionable to think of Kipling as a nasty imperialist bigot, and all then flows from that opinion. In the end, such exercises, while occasionally entertaining, are pointless.

Kipling was a writer of genius who contributed a great deal to the art of the short story and part of the joy of "Plain Tales from the Hills" is that we get to see him developing: he wrote these stories between the ages o
Katherine Cowley
This is book number two in my challenge to read the complete works of Rudyard Kipling, in the order in which they were published.

I have fond memories of Kipling's Just So Stories from when I was a child, and I was later exposed to several of his short stories during my undergraduate years. After having read Plain Tales from the Hills I feel like I can say that if you want to understand the genre of the short story or learn how to write it, read Rudyard Kipling. He mixes character with the right
Peter
Dec 03, 2008 Peter rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kipling devotees
Shelves: classic
Rudyard Kipling's Kim is one of my favorite books in the world. For the few hours every year that I spend re-reading it, I'm in a magical world. And the ending never fails to leave me with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat.

I've read and deeply enjoyed Kipling's Jungle Books as well. So when I heard, around fifteen years ago, that Kipling had written many more stories set in the India of his youth, and that some of them even featured Strickland Sahib from Kim, I immediately headed over to
Douglas Dalrymple
Crisp, memorable storytelling. I was reminded of two other books, which couldn’t be more different from each other, but which each share something in common with Kipling’s early work in this collection of tales.

First, Turgenev’s A Sportsman’s Notebook. There’s something in the relaxed narrative tone, perhaps – wavering always between engaged/interested and disengaged/disinterested. You’re entirely in the narrator’s hands with both Turgenev and Kipling, but the author’s grasp is so perfectly con
Daren
This was a bit hit and miss. Lots of short stories, some linking through with repeated characters. Each of the stories is set in Simla (Shimla), the hill station where the British 'Summered'.

I had to give the ones written in that gibberish that was intended as an Irish dialect, a miss. It was not well done, and made reading the story too painful to persist with, so I skipped over those (four, I think?) stories.
It was interesting that the narrator told some stories, and was involved in some stori
Jemma
My generation doesn't read Kipling as he is regarded as old fashioned, unintellectual and imperialist. So, I surprised myself a year or two ago by finding his poetry not to be as bad as I'd expected. Some bits were rather good and more was if you edited the poems. Plus I liked the films of Jungle Book and the Man Who Would be King, so perhaps it was time to take the plunge and read some Kipling.

Sad to say the criticisms are valid. Possibly exacerbated by the short story format which is never my
Wayne
Feb 10, 2009 Wayne rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in India, the British raj and good storytelling.
Recommended to Wayne by: a close friend
When I began this I really enjoyed Kipling's fresh style and his hopping right into the stories - no beating about the bush, no longwindedness. Perhaps it reflected his youth, as he was only 22 when they were published, his first book, and they were to make him famous.
Deservedly so and a remarkable achievement.

Enjoyed, that is, until I hit the second gobbledygook tale written in some atrocious, supposedly Irish, dialect as narrated by one Mulvaney.
There were to be four of these endurance tests c
Michael
This is a whole series of short stories telling about numerous individuals in Colonial India and tales as told about those individuals. The hills are where the British escaped to in the higher latitudes to avoid the heat of the Indian summer that everyone else had to endure. The author is the listener and he relates to us each of the stories told to him, which are as varied as the British civil servants could be. There were though three stories that I just didn't bother reading because they were ...more
Abigailann (Abigail)

A series of short stories encompassing a range of styles and moral tales. There were sections of this book which I really enjoyed, sections which I found charming, some which I found educational and others which were hard because they were written as if someone was speaking with a strong accent. The whole book felt dated, but not necessarily in a bad way. It was almnost funny sometimes to see how attitudes and moral standards have changed since the book was written. Definatly worth a delve into,
Jim

Born in Bombay in 1865, Rudyard Kipling launched his literary career with Plain Tales from the Hills and, in 1907, became the first English writer to be awarded the Nobel Prize. Many of the stories in this book were originally published in a Lahore newspaper for which Kipling worked as a journalist. Later, he revised them to re-create as vividly as possible the sights and smells of India for English readers. Including "Lispeth," "Beyond the Pale," and "In the Pride of His Youth," this collection

Peter Dunn
Kipling comes with some challenging baggage but he remains undoubtedly a great and entertaining writer, particularly in the short story form as in this collection. So what do we have in this collection? The central theme of course is colonial India, and mainly one specific geographic area, Simla, which Kipling had spent several periods of leave in. A number of the stories are also connected by several characters that appear or are referenced in more than one tale.

However, while connected by them
Malquiviades
A reading that brought me close to the real giants of literature.

I must admit my reticence to read from them in (this case) their original language in fear of missing a lot due to my not so good proficiency in English. And it has been shown without any trace of doubt that the latter is not so good. At least, I was not so contended with myself that I did not know it in advance.

And even I can hardly managed to go through the Irish "accent" of private Mulvaney, "The Taking of Lungtungpen" will sta
Lucy
If you could remove the Mulvaney stories, this would be a five star review. Kipling writes beautifully except when he is attempting to transcribe accents. The book works as a whole because of the recurrence of various characters, and the consistent style of the narrator. It's astonishing to think how young he was when he wrote these.
Bab
More like 4.5++
Light and casual but deep and sharp too, and precise and poignant... well, pretty much Rudyard Kipling as we know him - The Man Who Would Be King of His Craft and Has Remained So.
Palwascha
I think this is one of the more difficult books to review. On the one hand I loved this glimpse into our colonial past and on the other hand there is the heavy burden of superiority complex on part of Mr. Kipling. So even though I am not going to ignore all the racial stereotypes and epithets he uses for the locals, I am also not going to ignore that the stories were well told. Some were charming and some were funny. I particularly loved the ones with the Irishmen. My rating is going to be based ...more
David
I really enjoyed this book especially because I read it while traveling in Sri Lanka which - while a different country - shares much of the weather and the colonial traditions with India. Not having read Kipling before, one of the things that surprised me most is Kipling's sardonic sense of humour and his wry observations about people. He never ever descends into bitterness or a cheap shot. Yes it is dated in subject matter and culture but it remains a very rewarding read. Here is a writer who t ...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in June 2001.

Kipling's first collection, of stories published in journals, contains a large number of quite short stories. They are all about India, and nearly all about the British in India. He establishes the subject which inspired so much of his work right at the beginning; that is, how India affected the British soldiers and officials who worked there. (Of course, the British changed India too, but that is not what Kipling chose to write about, and in man
Hazel
Jun 15, 2010 Hazel rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: social historians
Thanks to Keely for reminding me of Kipling's short stories. This should be fun.

----------

This is Kipling's youthful work, and the stories are not sophisticated in structure, nor language. My impression is that they were a very accurate portrait of life in the Raj, for the masters, anyway. I'm familiar with some of them, but found the sincere racism of others intolerable. There's a fair amount of misogyny here, too. It's telling that this book was a major hit at the turn of the century.

I looked
Marika
Sort of a cross between Mark Twain and Reader's Digest? The stories were mild, vaguely amusing, a little too-too folksy at times. But as something different, a look into a different place and time, it was quite interesting.

One story that was very different from the rest, and very good, was The Gate of a Hundred Sorrows. That was a gem buried deep in the collection.

I'm not really interested in his Jungle Books, or in more of these type of stories. But I do think I will read some of his verse. I'm
Owen O'Neill
Kipling wrote these stories when he was quite young and it shows -- in a good way. I find them more interesting and livelier than most of his later work. They also show him him developing and are therefore a bit uneven, but that in itself makes them a worthwhile read. And I believe "The Gate of the Hundred Sorrows" is one of the most brilliant short stories ever written.
Divij Sood
after reading two really horrible books by kipling (just so stories, captains courageous), this book finally showed why he is considered a good author. simple stories without unnecessary fluff make this book a mostly enjoyable experience.
although i enjoyed reading kipling this time around, i am still not convinced that he deserved a nobel for his writing. next book on the list is Kim. Maybe that will change my opinion!
Elisabeth
I found this collection of short stories, all dealing with the life of British military and civilians in colonial India, very much a mixed bag. (That seems to be my reaction to Kipling in general—some of his works I love; others I just don't get.) They range in tone from the cheerful and whimsical to cynical or macabre. India is something that always seems to be lurking in the background of Victorian England and its culture and literature, so it's rather interesting to get a glimpse at the worki ...more
David
No matter what you think of Kipling, he is a great short story writer. Even when the topic of the stories aren't terribly interesting, the stories are very well-written. Worth a read, especially if you like the short story format.
Mollie
I only had to read 4 stories from this, but I got wrapped into Kipling's satirical writing! I personally found it entertaining, and each story seems to have a little life lesson to accompany it.

A good read for any historian with a literary interest.
Beth
Kipling was an absolutely brilliant short story writer and this is one of my all-time favorite books.
Chas Bayfield
Kipling evokes the India of the Raj perfectly. In this collection of stories written (incredibly) in his early twenties, he tells tales of cunning, of disgrace, of failure and also of the tedium that goes with being in a colony thousands of miles from Britain. Kipling visits some of his characters several times and this adds weight that these were real people simply with their names changed. In fact, Strickland, the police officer who is also a master of disguise was my great great grandfather! ...more
Arlene
My parents had a library of Modern Classics that I inherited. I needed to read a book about India for a challenge, so I was looking for Kim. I couldn't find it in the collection but I found this book of short stories. These were some of the first stories that Kipling published. The collection has a date of 1888. They take place in the "British Raj" and are told from the perspective of a British observer. Some of the stories are very delightful and humorous but some are very dark and sad. All in ...more
Frank Sloth Aaskov
I did not enjoy it, and longed to finish it half way through.
Josh
Kipling is a great storyteller, and it shows in many of these "tales." He uses the story collection format to maximum benefit by means of recurring characters, which he is able to develop at greater depth over multiple stories than would be possible in one story alone. Surprisingly, I found his description of Anglo-Indian regimental life quite similar to that of a 21st-century American graduate student.
  • Where the Indus Is Young: Walking to Baltistan
  • The Best of Saki
  • New Arabian Nights
  • The Lost World & Other Stories
  • On A Chinese Screen
  • The Signet Classic Book of Mark Twain's Short Stories
  • The Atom Station
  • A Day in the Country and Other Stories
  • Fire Prophet (Son of Angels, #2)
  • The History of Mr. Polly
  • Rupert of Hentzau
  • The Bodysurfers
  • The Deceivers
  • Youth / Heart of Darkness / The End of the Tether
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1907 "in consideration of the power of observation, originality of imagination, virility of ideas and remarkable talent for narration which characterize the creations of this world-famous author."

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudyard_...
More about Rudyard Kipling...
The Jungle Books The Jungle Book Just So Stories Kim Captains Courageous

“A woman's guess is much more accurate than a man's certainty.” 322 likes
“Now India is a place beyond all others where one must not take things too seriously—the midday sun always excepted.” 19 likes