Start by marking “Trucks Board Book” as Want to Read:
Trucks Board Book

Trucks Board Book

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  316 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Byron Barton introduces young readers to the fun of trucks in this bold and colorful board book. With simple text and vibrant illustrations, readers will learn about a variety of trucks, including tow trucks, cement trucks, and delivery trucks. Trucks Board Book "will delight the youngest, and have enough meat for older preschoolers and beginning readers" (Kirkus Reviews). ...more
Board Book
Published April 18th 1998 by HarperFestival (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Trucks Board Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trucks Board Book

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakHarold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett JohnsonCars and Trucks and Things That Go by Richard ScarryThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleFreight Train by Donald Crews
Greatest little boy books ... ages 2 - 6
15th out of 313 books — 105 voters
Fishing Into Potato Salad by Othen Donald Dale CummingsFetch by Adam Glendon SidwellChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Silly Sally by Audrey Wood
Toddlers Ages 1-3
54th out of 148 books — 67 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy
Trucks. They work hard. Love it.
Danielle
The Turkeybird Speaks: "Now this is the part where I tell you to pull up a chair and your favorite snack so you can settle into a great book. Does it really get any better than trucks, planes, and trains? I would say not! They move, they have wheels, they go fast and they do all sorts of fun things. I especially liked reading my plane book when we traveled cross country to our new home. It was neat to look out the window and see the same sky that I was looking at in my book. These books are a mu ...more
Asho
This is a cute little board book that kept my two-year-old entertained for quite a while on a recent road trip. He finds the simple, bright illustrations very appealing and will "read" this to himself for quite a while (which is good, because I don't find it equally appealing to read aloud to him). Interestingly, he calls this "the hot dog book" because there is one single hot dog served from a food truck midway through the book.
Kristina Silverbears
Solid, somewhat repetitive sentence structures. There isn't much story to this board book, but each type of truck is introduced with a clear picture and most with functions.
Sarah Sammis
Although Sean knew his friend Connor wouldn't be at the last BookCrossing meeting, he still wanted to attend. While there he picked up a copy of Trucks written and illustrated by Byron Barton.

Sean has a number of Barton's books. So far we have: Trucks, Trains, and Jump Frog Jump! He likes his distinct style of strong lines, bold colors and simple shapes. He also likes that the stories are easy for him to read so that we can read them together. I like that the illustrations, while straightforwar
Shanna Gonzalez
This is a straightforward educational board book presenting different types of trucks and their activities, rendered in chunky concept-drawings, with minimal text. Most little boys go through a stage of being fascinated with trucks, and this was one of the first books I have used to introduce the different functions and shapes that trucks can take. Kids will outgrow it quickly, though, since it lacks detail for them to grow into; if you can only get one book about vehicles, get Richard Scarry's ...more
Saralyn
Love the pictures.
Nikki Boisture
I hate this book. I hate that Grady loves it, and I have to read it. I hate that at 18 months, Grady could differentiate between a garbage truck, delivery truck, moving truck, ice cream truck, pickup truck and dump truck, thanks to this book. I had no interest in trucks, and now I kind of hate all trucks.

It gets two stars only because Grady likes it so much. If Grady was only "eh" about it, I'd give it zero!
jacky
One of William's early favorites (3 months). I'm sure it is just the bold colors he is reacting to, but he loves this book. I think its great, too, because of the large range of trucks presented. I never would have though of the ice cream truck or even the tow truck since I usually picture big construction trucks. Simple story line and just the right amount of text for earliest readers.
Rob
More of a plot than My First Truck Board Book—but not much more of one. Also, Dave Chappelle fans will appreciate that the road work is being done on Third Street. ("You better be careful...")
Johanna
Still not sure what the attraction of Byron Barton is, but like Planes, Trucks is a big, big hit at home. At first glance, I thought it might be too simplistic for an almost 2-year-old, but he absolutely loves it and mandates that it be read at least 6 times before bed each night.
Shelleyburns
Board picture book. Ages 2 - 5. Simple book with colorful pictures that show various types of trucks and how they help people. I would use this book as a read aloud and discuss the types of trucks the children have seen in their community and what those trucks do to help people.
Chris
We're only read this one in the store and Stig loved it. He's obsessed with Trucks and points and says "Truck". The library didn't have this available (I think it's the most popular one) - one day we'll pick up a copy for ourselves cause I think it's a favorite.
Cornelius
For kindergarten children, I would use this book in the classroom to describe to children the differnt jobs that trucks perform. The book explains how trucks pick up our garbage, transport things on the roads, carry heavy materials, etc.
Yet another truck book that is read over and over again in our home. My three year old especially enjoys "reading" this book to his baby brother. Barton hit homeruns with both My Car and Trucks. Hooray! Simple but fun.
Corey Hiegel
Beautifully written! I couldn't put this book down! Barton is a modern day Hemingway. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants a book that will challenge your identity and your existence as a human being.
Finn Pennekamp
This book is great!!! All kinds of trucks -- amazing pictures -- and plenty of room in the story for mom and dad to add sound effects. I love this book! I'm going to read it hundreds of times!
Elizabeth
We're reading this a lot right now. It reminds me of a combination of Freight Train by Donald Crews and I Love Trucks! by Philemon Sturges.
Leah Irby
I HATE these Barton books, but Judah loves the crap out of them. But, since this is my Goodreads account I get to tell it like it is.
Emerson
Added to permanent collection for Theodore!

Of course Emerson picked this book out of a large stack of books!
Heather Richard
One of our oldest children's favorite books. We've boought replacement copies because it's become so worn...
Gail
My daughter (1.5 years old) seems to like this book, but I would actually prefer more detailed pictures.
Ellen
My sons pick the Byron Barton board books about things that go over and over and over again.
Jonathan
The title says it all.

Mom really likes the illustrator's style. I like the trucks.
Mommyrachel
Friendly looking pictures. ...I always like the ending to his books.
Paula

Brief text and illustrations present a variety of trucks and what they do.
Dashiell John
A love song to the proletariat. They work hard, indeed.
Kirei
Mar 24, 2008 Kirei rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: babies/toddlers
Shelves: younger-kids
Very simple book about various kinds of trucks.
Phannie
Cute little truck book.
Tiffany
Better than the boat book!
  • I Love Trucks!
  • Fifteen Animals!
  • Truck
  • My Very First Book of Colors
  • Duck & Goose Find A Pumpkin
  • Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night?
  • I'm Mighty!