Start by marking “Programming Python” as Want to Read:
Programming Python

Programming Python

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  713 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Already the industry standard for Python users, "ProgrammingPython" fromO'Reilly just got even better. This third edition has been updated toreflect current best practices andthe abundance of changes introduced by the latest version of thelanguage, Python 2.5.

Whether you're a novice or an advancedpractitioner, you'll find thisrefreshed book more than lives up to its reputa
Published August 23rd 2006 by O'Reilly Media (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Programming Python, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Programming Python

Charles
Oct 05, 2011 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book sits on the shelf next to my desk at the office. The answer to just about any python question resides within, along with many code examples on the cd. A must have for anyone who programs in python.
Louis
Jan 16, 2011 Louis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer
I've been using Python since I was a graduate student. While I have known of earlier versions of this tome it had never occurred to me to go through this. Because my focus in computer programming is not in the systems administration or IT related skills like most of O'Reilly Press customers seem to be. My interest is in scientific programming and data analysis. Now that I have had some time and occasion to use this, I find that the content is indeed weighted at an audience whose function is comp ...more
Rakesh Gopal
Feb 19, 2015 Rakesh Gopal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read on Python.
Will
Aug 02, 2007 Will rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a disappointment. A very long, tedious and random collection of python programming examples with no rhyme or reason whatsoever. I think they were trying out a new idea for an authoritative language book which didn't end up panning out at all. A big pile of wasted paper.
Dave Peticolas

This is a fairly good introduction to the Python programming language. Its organization, however, makes it hard to use when you just want to refresh your memory about a particular detail you have forgotten.

Bill
May 29, 2007 Bill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computers, python
O'Reilly is usually so good, but I found this book disappointing. It's too long and scattershot, and I end up never looking at it. I much prefer the Python Essential Reference by Beazley.
Matt
Sep 20, 2012 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Books like this are not generally read straight through, but are more like reference works for me - I set them as "read" and rate them on the utility they provide to me v
Clinton
Jan 02, 2013 Clinton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Puts the word "verbose" to shame. I've driven cars smaller than this book! Nonetheless, it provide a thorough introduction—and then some—into the standard Python library.
Kannan Kalidasan
Aug 05, 2013 Kannan Kalidasan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This would be the best reference book for anytime to understand the concepts with examples. explain in clear manner
Osama Jamil
Apr 01, 2011 Osama Jamil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology-book
Must Read book specially for System Administrators using Python scripts
I learned a lot from this book
Vietson
Aug 14, 2012 Vietson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its not bad but it isn't great either. Most of these books spend way too much time on trival things.
Scott Gardner
Sep 01, 2015 Scott Gardner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comprehensive tome on Python. Has breadth and depth. I will keep it near for reference purposes.
Daniel Buch
Jun 12, 2007 Daniel Buch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: constrictors
Shelves: skience
>>> I CAN HAS SYS
>>> IS 'BONK' IN SYS.ARGV?
I SAW UR 'BONK'
>>> AWSOMTHX()
KTHXBYE
Kyle
May 02, 2010 Kyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this is a printed copy of the man pages.
Sunny
Python (en fran
M Kurniawan
Apr 27, 2013 M Kurniawan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
hdasd
John Greg
John Greg marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Rajesh Dora
Rajesh Dora marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
NVIDIA Helsinki
NVIDIA Helsinki marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
NVIDIA Helsinki
NVIDIA Helsinki marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Kevin Miller
Kevin Miller rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
Parv Saini
Parv Saini marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Landon Holland
Landon Holland marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Artem Svetlov
Artem Svetlov marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Benny Fellman
Benny Fellman marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Wang
Wang marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
  • Python Cookbook
  • Mastering Regular Expressions
  • Learning Perl
  • Perl Cookbook
  • Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional
  • Python for Unix and Linux System Administration
  • Programming PHP
  • Python Essential Reference (Developer's Library)
  • jQuery: Novice to Ninja
  • JavaScript: The Definitive Guide
  • sed & awk
  • Practical C Programming
  • Learning PHP 5
  • Linux Kernel Development
  • Dive Into Python
  • Learning the bash Shell
  • High Performance MySQL: Optimization, Backups, Replication, Load Balancing & More
  • DNS and BIND

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Mark Lutz is the world leader in Python training, the author of Python's earliest and best-selling texts, and a pioneering figure in the Python community.

Mark is the author of the popular O'Reilly books Programming Python, Python Pocket Reference, and Learning Python, all currently in 4th Editions. He has been using and promoting Python since 1992, started writing Python books in 1995, and began t
More about Mark Lutz...