Start by marking “The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3-6)” as Want to Read:
The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3-6)

Read Book* *Different edition

The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes #3-6)

4.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,506 Ratings  ·  224 Reviews
Here are the original Sherlock Holmes stories by Arthur Conan Doyle as they first appeared in the famed British magazine The Strand. This periodical was the literary sensation of its time, especially with the publication of the novel The Hound of the Baskervilles (which appears in its entirety in this volume), when eager readers lined up outside the magazine's London offic ...more
Published November 29th 2009 by Castle Books (first published 1891)

To ask other readers questions about The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Big Sleep by Raymond ChandlerThe Maltese Falcon by Dashiell HammettThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
Detective Fiction
134th out of 794 books — 926 voters
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Home Bookshelf
163rd out of 817 books — 72 voters

More lists with this book...

Trevor
Dec 26, 2008 Trevor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, mystery
Jeff
Sep 24, 2008 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally finished this a few months ago. I'd been reading it since Christmas 1976. Thirty-two years. I loved reading a story or three every now and then. Always comforting. Finally decided to press forward and went through a dozen or so in a short period, which gave me a whole new appreciation for Doyle as an artist. He was an excellent writer, with a kind of magic that's hard to puzzle out. These stories exert a hold that seems greater than the sum of the parts.
Matthew
Mar 27, 2012 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Review: The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes
By Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
It’s amazing how one good book can truly open your eyes. The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes, a collection of short stories by Arthur Conan Doyle, did just that. I have learned to make more observations and observe detail better, and soon you can too!
Sherlock Holmes is a detective who lived in the late 1800s to early 1900s in London. He offers his deductive powers to whoever needs them, yet always keeps a low pr
Tom Gonzalez
Apr 25, 2007 Tom Gonzalez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Oh what a joy it was to read this book! I grew up wanting to be Sherlock Holmes after I read "The Hound of Baskervilles". Holmes was ahead of his time with his chemical and physiology expertise, he was the original CSI master. I wanted to solve mysteries and command that infallible logic that made Holmes so perfect. As I returned to this character, as an adult, I found him to be even more amazing, if not more complex, due to the human qualities and vices he contained. He was certainly an edgy ch ...more
Jen3n
Apr 02, 2010 Jen3n rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, art, mystery, history
This collection is the second, third, and fourth sets of Holmes stories, plus The Hound of the Baskervilles. While it IS missing my favorite collection of stories, the first set which runs from A Study in Scarlet through The Sign of Four; and it DOES have the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad fourth set entitled "The Return of Sherlock Holmes" (the series should have ended at The Final Problem), this book gets four stars because the good stories are excellent and the bad stories are made-up- ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Aug 08, 2011 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This consists of 37 of the 57 Sherlock Holmes short stories written by Arthur Conan Doyle that appeared in the magazine The Strand from 1891 to 1904 that are contained in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes and The Return of Sherlock Holmes. It also contains the most famous Holmes novel, The Hound of the Baskervilles.

I've loved the Holmes stories ever since I encountered "The Speckled Band," included here, in my school text. There are wonderful stories here that sti
Howie Rosen
Jul 08, 2010 Howie Rosen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Two firsts here. Writing a review before I've reached even halfway to the finish line. And reading short stories are nearly as far down my list of pleasures as cracking open a book of poetry. Doyle's adventures make a quick start out of the blocks, so going from one to the other is effortless. These stories in their day rivaled the popularity of a new Harry Potter book--and no wonder that--each plot is so deliciously different.

The greatest joy is to pay careful attention to the details in order
☠ Daniel
Dec 01, 2013 ☠ Daniel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Leí toda la obra de Doyle sobre Sherlock Holmes en español. Un día vi de lejos este libro y llamó mi atención la portada, me aproximé a él y vi que era un facsímil de las historias tal y como fueron publicadas en The Strand Magazine, incluso, desde luego, con las ilustraciones originales de Sidney Paget. No tuve más remedio que comprarlo aunado al hecho de que su precio era una ganga.
Aunque solo contiene 37 relatos y el Sabueso de los Baskerville vale la pena por las ilustraciones.
Scott
Jun 16, 2015 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book contains all 37 short stories of Sherlock Holmes plus the novel "Hound of the Baskervilles". I got this book about 25 years ago and have been reading one or two of the short stories every year.

Many many hours of enjoyment. Just a great read that I think everyone should experience.

I will be the first to admit that you really have to be in the mood for the style of writing that Doyle employs but when I'm in the mood nothing is better. Of course Sherlock Holmes is almost too smart to be b
Holly
Mar 01, 2011 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The short stories are best; they are almost too perfectly concise and structured. The reader is kept in a delicate balance of awe and active sleuthing.

Unlike what has been said of the film version, Watson is no comic character but the perfect foil to Sherlock's cold, inhuman exterior. W/o Watson, you wouldn't have a story unless it were Sherlock's stream of consciousness followed by boredom.

Read a great article about how Doyle created Sherlock at exactly the perfect time in history - the age of
Gerald
Jun 23, 2009 Gerald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspired to take up this volume again by fervor surrounding the new Sherlock Holmes movie to be released in December of 2009.

The edition that I am reading was published in 1976. It is handsomely bound in the manner of a book intended to look impressive on a shelf without having the desired effect.

The stories are quite good, though.

Finished this very recently. Nothing like a book full of Sherlock Holmes to instill in oneself the desire to take up smoking a pipe, and logically deduce what's been g
Steven Peterson
Apr 05, 2011 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A Scandal in Bohemia," "The Red-Headed League," "The Hound of the Baskervilles," "The Return of Sherlock Holmes," and so on. As the Introduction notes, "Here--reproduced in complete facsimile--are the original Sherlock Holmes detective stories by Arthur Conan Doyle as they first appeared in the famed British magazine 'The Strand.'"

The original art work and printing adds an interesting element to this volume. But, in the end, it is the tales of Holmes that make this book attractive.

A nice compil
Mary Holm
Jun 16, 2012 Mary Holm is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I watched the PBS series SHERLOCK and fell in love. I'd never read any Sherlock Holmes stories before, (I claim not to like mysteries) but the series prompted me to check out some of the original stories. My husband reminded me that we had this book stored in our garage. So we pulled it out and I started reading. Currently reading the Hound of the Baskervilles. By the way, if you haven't seen SHERLOCK, do yourself a favor and run, don't walk, to rent or buy the DVD. Or you can watch some of the ...more
P.M. Pevato
Apr 17, 2014 P.M. Pevato rated it it was amazing
My comfort food.
Alice Chen
Apr 18, 2014 Alice Chen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle grade, teens and adults
Recommended to Alice by: Discovered on my own
Sherlock Holmes was just about the only books I would read as a kid. I wasn't an avid reader back then, so the short-story format coupled with the adventure of unraveling a mystery was perfect for me.
With the recent re-boots in TV and movies, I'm excited to see these new interpretations; to me, the original series focused more on the mystery, and dropping well-placed breadcrumbs for the reader (and Dr Watson) to follow. The challenge of writing a fresh and innovative story time and again, I gath
Emilee Bixler
Aug 31, 2012 Emilee Bixler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got this book from my aunt. Ever since I began the first story Sherlock Holmes has become my obsession. Currently I'm still reading it and every page gets a bit better! Also saw both Sherlock movies, all the BBC Sherlock (With Benedict Cumberbatch..sexy..) and am currently watching the 1984 Jeremy Brett ones on Netflix. As you can see, this book has had a major effect on me. If you have not read this, you have not lived..haha.
Cathy Cramer
I've at least read the first book in this collection before, but the others were unfamiliar to me. I enjoyed "Watson's" conversational style, and descriptions, both of Holmes within the comforts of his own home, and away on adventure. I enjoyed the fact that most of these were short stories, that could easily be picked up or put down between stories. Someone I know liked how having such a thick book impressed peers, but really it was "just" a set of interesting short stories.

I also enjoyed thes
Carrie
Mar 17, 2011 Carrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book since I was about ten years old and never finished it. It's taken me a long time to get here, but I'm glad I finally did. I took my time, and started over on this book, and finally made my way through it. Now I just need to finish the rest of the Sherlock Holmes stories not included in this book.

This includes several of the short story volumes and Hound of the Baskervilles.
Hannah
Mar 13, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book shows the strong relationship that Holmes and Watson really have. They rely on one another. Even the years after Watson got married and left Holmes when he returned just to visit Holmes, Holmes immediately wants Watson to stay and help with a case. At first Watson was a little caught off guard but agreed to help. Through all the little short stories in the book you see how strong the friendship is. Watson comes back to help Sherlock out and it goes back to how it was before the Marriag ...more
Todd Stockslager
Jun 09, 2015 Todd Stockslager rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
"Elementary" and "My Dear Watson" do appear in these stories, but not together in the same phrase. That out of the way, these are absorbing stories that reward the rereading with gentle humor, action, cultural and linguistic ("Halloa!") history, and even "mystery."

I use the quotation marks advisedly. Part of the secret of Holmes' near-mystical powers is that Doyle consciously controls how much of the mystery he reveals in advance, so that in most stories even an aspiring Holmes can not dope out
Tereneh
Jun 07, 2016 Tereneh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having first been introduced to Sherlock Holmes via the BBC series and the Basil Rathbone films I wasn't sure what to expect by actually reading the original stories.

Well I can tell you there is nothing quite like being in a tent all alone on the banks of the lake with the only light coming from your head lamp as you read the great Holmes mysteries to get you in the mood. (For the record, I had to stop reading at Hound of the Baskervilles while I was camping. Do you think I am mad?!)

Once I was b
Bonnie
Dec 03, 2008 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Master of the mystery. Always fun.
Nathan
Aug 06, 2008 Nathan added it
I've only read seven of them.
Sherry
Jan 19, 2012 Sherry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Arthur Conan Doyle, Oh how I love you. Your mind is magnificent. Your writing is perfection. This is the work of genius. I've only just finished, The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes. I thought I'd jot down a few of my favorite quotes from these pages before I move on to, The Memoirs.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts" ~Scandal in Bohemia.~

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape fr
Ira Therebel
(it contains a spoiler to one of the short stories)

I used to love Shrlock Holmes stories as a child. I really thought that this is how all the policemen in our time operate after taking the example of Sherlock Holmes. And the Hound of the Baskervilles was one of my favorite books!

Reading it as an adult also was very fun. A lot of these stories are incredibly good, and I still loved The Hound of the Baskervilles! There are others on the other hand that are a bit boring and where one could see how
Aricwheeler
Jan 10, 2013 Aricwheeler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find the short stories to be fascinating mysteries, despite some minor problems.
The two main characters, Holmes and Watson, are both well developed and interesting to read about, though the side characters in each short story tend to be lacking in personality.
My main gripe with the stories is that the numbers and time are often difficult to understand given that they are not written that way anymore. Especially with ages of side characters and the amount of money at stake. Really this is part
Jan 18, 2010 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
I really enjoyed reading these classic stories by Arthur Conan Doyle. This complete copy is a really great format for the stories - and the originally illustrations add something particularly special. As I've been told many times, my mom read our copy when she was pregnant with me, and it has sat on our family bookcase ever since. After seeing the recent Guy Ritchie / Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes film, I was inspired to read the full collection of stories once and for all.

The stories come
Olga
Oct 10, 2013 Olga rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Я не являюсь поклонником малой прозы, но Шерлок меня не разочаровал, а наоборот, от всей души порадовал своей оригинальностью, интеллектуальностью и эксцентризмом.

Чем дальше в лес, чем больше дров, и уже в последней части образ Шерлока раскрывается до конца - мужчина, которого не интересуют женщины (ему с ними просто скучно), жизнь для него должна состоять из вызовов, загадок, которые дадут его уму занятие, иначе он впадает в меланхолию и одно время даже подсел на наркотики, но только благодаря
Jake Danishevsky
Ah, Mr. Holmes? Aren't they the best suspense novels in the world? Who did not wish to be in the middle of suspenseful situation or solve a crime during the childhood years? What, no hands, of course not. There is not a kid or should I say was not a kid on the planet who did not fantasize about finding clues to solve a crime or a mystery. I know I did and was excited about the characters and wished that I could be one of them.

Arthur Conan Doyle is a master of bringing us the best detective serie
Ana Mardoll
Feb 21, 2011 Ana Mardoll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ana-reviewed
Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes / 0-7858-1325-X

This collection contains the following stories from the following collections:

ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES
- Adventure of the Noble Bachelor
- Adventure of the Beryl Coronet
- Adventure of the Copper Beeches

MEMOIRS OF SHERLO
  • The Canary Trainer: From the Memoirs of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • Sherlock Holmes in Orbit
  • Five Complete Hercule Poirot Novels: ABC Murders / Cards on the Table / Death on the Nile / Murder on the Orient Express / Thirteen at Dinner
  • The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes
  • Rod Serling's Twilight Zone
  • Exit Sherlock Holmes
  • Moriarty (Professor Moriarty, #3)
  • The Bedside Companion to Sherlock Holmes
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • Sherlock Holmes for Dummies
  • Teller of Tales: The Life of Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Ghosts of Bly: And Other New Adventures of the Great Detective
  • The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes
  • Complete Novels
  • Last Seen After Midnight (Trese, #4)
  • Arthur Conan Doyle: A Life in Letters
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Victorian Undead: Sherlock Holmes Vs Zombies
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...

Sherlock Holmes (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • His Last Bow: 8 Stories (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)
  • Um Estudo em Vermelho / Os Sete Mistérios (Obras Completas de Sherlock Holmes, #1)