Acorna's Search (Acorna, #5)

Acorna's Search (Acorna #5)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  2,403 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Acorna's people, the Linyaari, are once more without a home. Though they survived the brutal attack from the cold-blooded Khleevi, the battle left their planet, narhii-Vhiliinyar, horribly scarred. Banding together, the Linyaari decide to rebuild both narhii-Vhiliinyar and their original homeworld, Vhiliinyar. But just as work begins to get under way Linyaari begin mysteri...more
Paperback
Published May 1st 2003 by Corgi (first published 2001)

Rebecca
I had actually raed the book that came after this one a few years ago so I knew all along that the situation with Aarri wouldnt get resolved. It was ok and like most Anne Mac books i read it really quickly....something about her writing style i can just consume her books in no time at all (only other author i feel the same way about is an aussie author - Traci Harding).

Anyways it was kind of interesting to learn about Acornas peoples past a bit more, and i just love the android Mac, but other th...more
Amy
I just finished this book. I could not put it down, except for a very few times just to rest my eyes. The Linyarri fate is plunged into a crazy realm of time travel, wonder, and distress as all that is known is wrenched away from all the Linyarri characters we know and love. I cannot believe the state in which Acorna was left. I cannot wait to start the next book where there will hopefully be a complete and happily instated resolution.
April
I had hoped that the different second author would make a difference because I liked other books this pair had written. Really though, these books didn't get better (or worse, really). The characters are caricatures. The real problem (I realized as I lay in bed wondering why these were irritating me) is that the "adult" characters are extremely childish and the children are way more adult that they are. It bothers me.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
I fell down the rabbit hole. What the hell just happened? Now we find out about Kubiilikaan? As a side note, where the hell does she come up with some of these names? Once again the rug is ripped out from under me. Alien scientist? Really? WTH. I do like this Host city though. I want to see it. The descriptions are so clear I wonder how Ms. McCaffrey comes up with all these devices and cool technology.
Elizabeth Hirata
This book is worth reading for the sheer hilarity of it all. It's extremely fast-paced in the beginning, so you won't get bored until the last fourth when they're wrapping up loose ends. Other than that, the characters are pretty flat, things are said rather than shown, and techno babble is everywhere. However, the reasons we don't have unicorns anymore today is because the aliens stole them. Of course.
Mollie *scoutrmom*
May 27, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2010
I was fairly disappointed with this story. There was a fascinating plot, poorly executed, and one had to have read the earlier books in order to understand the characters and their motives. Perhaps I should have quit with the previous one, but I've got the next two checked out so I'll just plow on. There was a cliffhanger ending and I want to find out what has become of Acorna's lifemate.
Deirdre
A book that you'd get lost in unless you've read the rest of the series.

When people start disappearing as they explore their destroyed world to prepare for terraforming, people start disappearing and when they start looking they discover an underground city.

Readable but not impressive. It wasn't a book that would urge me to continue reading the series.
Hannah
this book was really good and when i finished it, i was really surprized at what happened because she found the lost city of freedom and there she found a whole bunch of people and when she basically saved them except for a few that had died brfore she had got there
Jackie Krasuski
The heroic story of Acorna touched my heart. Her saga is a fantastic sci-fi journey in another galaxy, but the writing of the places and times makes them seem so real and even comfortable. Fantastic read for any sci-fi fan.
Jeremy
Finished. I only got to page 37, and I put it in the "take back to library" pile. I'm pretty much done with this series; most of that seems to be because of the author. I'm just done with her.
Sharon
I was somewhat disappointed when McCaffrey came out with several books in this series. This first installment contained some interesting elements, but the whole thing became extremely drawn out.
Madeline
Mar 22, 2009 Madeline rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women fantasy/sci-fi lovers
Much better than the previous, took a step down on the over explained past of the characters. I actually was intrigued by the plot this time instead of just trudging through it.
Theresa
how acorna searches through the universe for someone of her own kind,trying to find out where she comes from acorna learns to learn that she is not unique in the world
Kerri
I honestly don't remember much about this book, but I'm sure I liked it at the time. Fun light reading for even the non-science fiction fans.
Tristan
Read prior to 2010
Christina Stephens
Christina Stephens marked it as to-read
Timmi
Timmi added it
Elizabeth Jory
Elizabeth Jory marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Angela Smith
Angela Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Kristi
Kristi added it
Jul 20, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
  • The Ship Avenged
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • The People of Pern
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #3
  • Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons
  • Beyond Varallan (Stardoc, #2)
  • This Scepter'd Isle (Doubled Edge, #1)
  • DoOon Mode (Mode, #4)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two...more
More about Anne McCaffrey...
Dragonflight (Pern, #1) Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1) The White Dragon (Pern, #3) Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2) Dragonquest (Pern, #2)