Start by marking “A Philosopher's Notes: On Optimal Living, Creating an Authentically Awesome Life and Other Such Goodness, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The Class We Never Had

Isn't it a bit odd that we went from Science to Math to History but somehow missed the class on how to live? For some wacky reason "Optimal Living 101" didn't make the schedule... But imagine if that class did exist and the teachers included everyone from the old school philosophers like Socrates, Marcus Aurelius, Emerson, Nietzsche and Buddha to mod

Published December 14th 2010 by en*theos Enterprises

To ask other readers questions about A Philosopher's Notes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Philosopher's Notes

Michael Greer
Brian Johnson's first 100 Philosopher's Notes (MP3/pdfs) changed my life. (See my YouTube Testimonial: http://www.youtube.com/user/greerspm#... titled: "6 Business Reasons for Listening to PhilosophersNotes Every Day"

This book, whether you get it in printed or audio form, is just the tip of Brian's giant iceberg of very powerful, yet very accessible, philosophical wisdom. Spending time with any of Brian's work is like spending time with that really cool kid at college that just happened to be en
Justin Carboneau
I love Brian Johnson's style of writing. His enthusiasm is infectious.

Key things I learned from this book:

- Optimism takes work and training

- Consistency is the most important thing in any endeavor

- Start a morning routine (which I've been doing consistently for years now). It doesn't have to be long, just something to keep you anchored.

- The 100 questions exercise - an exercise where you come up with 100 interesting questions to grow your "curiosity muscle"

- Set creative production goals in a
Arminda Lindsay
I've been a fan of Brian Johnson since discovering him about a year ago. He's got a wonderful ability to take a lot of information and parcel it down to bite-sized morsels. That's what this book is: digestible wisdom. Anything new here? Of course not! Because everything we "need" to know has been around and inside of us since the beginning. And I mean waaaay back. Brian circles the philosophical wagons and gives us the fireside chat that warms you from the inside out.

This is a very quick read a
Megan
Found it written like a teenager speaks and quite basic information for beginners on these subjects. Was boring for me especially since I have read most of the books he refers too.
Robin Conley
This was an odd little book, but I really enjoyed reading it and found some of the things mentioned within intriguing to think about. I really like the way the author presents things as well and thought it was very approachable. He didn't really delve too deeply into any one subject, though, and it is definitely an overview of many ideas all summed up and put together in one. There are a lot of interesting bits, though, and I love that he gave a list of books for further reading as well as cited ...more
Heiki Eesmaa
Too shallow unless you've really read nothing in your life.
Marcus Solberg
I love book summaries! Brian did a good job with these, but many of these books are a bit too "new agey" and unscientific (get rich quickly, "law of attraction" type of stuff). However, overall good and lots of interesting and inspiring ideas. Well worth the many hours it took to plow trough these "notes"!

Not sure why the Philosopher's notes volume two is not on here (so I added this one twice instead to make up for that!).
Ghada
summaries for 100 of the greatest philosophy and personal growth books
these summaries have introduced me to alot of wonderful books

the most summaries I love -till now-

- The Four Agreements
- Do You
- a Joseph Campbell Companion

Stephen
As an avid reader, I'm a big fan of original insights, and Brian didn't offer much here.

His book is essentially a collection of insights he's learned from other people.

It's a nice collection for people who don't read much.

Having said that, he does have a fun and refreshing writing style, and I can see this being a really great book for specific people.
Lindsay
I am undecided if I like this book or not. Some of the points made are good....BUT there is something about the tone of this book that bothered me. I get that he is trying to come off as free spirited or whatever but really it just comes across as trying too hard to be happy and the "text" spelling irritates me. It is not spelt "THRU" that is just garbage.
Jack Stephens
Brian Johnson hit the mother lode when he came up with the idea of creating a Cliff's Notes for philosophers. He succinctly and aptly summarizes more books than I've had time to read (and ones I really wanted to), and shares from his own experience of applying the wisdom with a light touch to the funny bone.
Jacob Nordby
I love this book. Brian Johnson does all the heavy lifting for modern readers by digging into books of wisdom (ancient & modern), then writing short chapters which reveal the "Big Idea". He writes in a fluid, humorous style but includes a lot of substance.
Tobias Barker
I love exec summaries & this sums up all the goodness in some of the best books around. A quick & insightful read. It's helped me to focus on some great goals and new 'to-reads'
Xavier.vercaemst
The author is a fabulous enlightening person!
This book is packed with ideas and techniques to get your life kicking and rocking!
Dennis Schvejda
The author distills plenty of essential wisdom, highlight heavily and go back to review!
Teri Conrad
Simple but thoughtful. Easy digestible bite size portions ;)
Dawn
super awesome!
Juan Correa
Juan Correa marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Books Traveler
Books Traveler marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Martin Rognlien
Martin Rognlien marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Logert
Logert marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
William Schram
William Schram marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Mateo
Mateo marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Jeff
Jeff is currently reading it
Apr 19, 2015
  • Make Shift Happen: Change How You Look by Changing How You Think
  • The Laws of Thinking: 20 Secrets to Using the Divine Power of Your Mind to Manifest Prosperity
  • Time Warrior: How to defeat procrastination, people-pleasing, self-doubt, over-commitment, broken promises and Chaos
  • Your Inner Awakening: The Work of Byron Katie: Four Questions That Will Transform Your Life
  • Supercoach: 10 Secrets to Transform Anyone's Life
  • The Crossroads of Should and Must: Find and Follow Your Passion
  • Introducing Time (Introducing (Icon))
  • Never Let Go: A Philosophy of Lifting, Living and Learning
  • Holy Shit: Managing Manure To Save Mankind
  • Level Up Your Day: How to Maximize the 6 Essential Areas of Your Daily Routine
  • Deep Play
  • The Science of Mind
  • Say Good Night to Insomnia: The Six-Week, Drug-Free Program Developed At Harvard Medical School
  • The Relaxation Response
  • The Edge Effect: Achieve Total Health and Longevity with the Balanced Brain Advantage
  • Man 2.0 Engineering the Alpha: A Real World Guide to an Unreal Life
  • 50 Success Classics: Winning Wisdom for Work & Life from 50 Landmark Books
  • The Autoimmune Solution: Prevent and Reverse the Full Spectrum of Inflammatory Symptoms and Diseases
Brian Johnson is the Philosopher & CEO of en*theos--a company that creates cool stuff to help people optimize their lives. He's the co-founder (with his wife, Alexandra) of the en*theos Academy, PhilosophersNotes and Blissitations and is the author of A Philosopher's Notes. He's also featured in the documentary Finding Joe and has a monthly "Big Ideas" column in Experience Life magazine.
More about Brian Johnson...
A New Earth - Philosopher's Notes Xbox 360 For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech)) Torch Lake & Other Poems Zune For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech)) It Service Management from Hell: A Guide to Worst Practices

“SPIRITUAL FARTS Reverend Michael Beckwith2 tells us that if we simply study and talk about spiritual truths but never actually LIVE the stuff, we’re gonna get spiritual indigestion and constipation. Spiritual farts. It’s not a pretty thing. Seriously.” 1 likes