Start by marking “Three Women (Omnibus: The Ring of Fear \ The Mark of Merlin \ The Kilternan Legacy)” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  237 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
PAPERBACK
Published January 15th 1992 by Tor Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Three Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Women

Nov 28, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I've always considered Anne McCaffrey a science-fiction/fantasy author. I had no idea, until this book was given to me, that she had also dabbled in romance. Her voice is quite clear, and overall I enjoyed them. I like how the "heros" are not classically handsome. For instance, Raf is short and the Colonol is badly scarred on one half of his face. I find so many romance today have the heroes as being outrageously gorgeous, washboard abs, an the like. This was quite the refresher.

The Ring of Fear
Kathy Davie
Jan 10, 2013 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, history
A.k.a., Three Women.

They're not actually Gothic in the usual sense. Instead, they are three completely separate romances. One is during the 1960s on Long Island, another is set during World War II on the East Coast, and the third is in Dublin, Ireland.

All three stories are most interesting for the attitudes of the times. If insta-love bothers you, you should probably skip this trio.

The Stories
"Ring of Fear" is a sweet if somewhat unbelievable story of a young lady fleeing her rapist after her fa
Sharon
Jan 10, 2010 Sharon rated it it was amazing
This is some of McCaffrey's rare fiction - a collection of three stories published elsewhere. Three of her strongest themes appear here. The first story is set in the horse world, the second is a story set post WWII and features an intelligent German Shepherd, and the third features a divorced woman who moves to Ireland with her kids. I love to revisit these anytime I'm out of books.
Sunny
Aug 06, 2015 Sunny rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Basically hokey chic lit that's terrifically dated ... And yet in some ways it's not because in all three cases the women are stronger and less dependent on men than their peers would have been. It's three novellas with no internal connections (different places and people).

My favorite is the one about the female jockey. I think in part because of the realism of her life, the old car, the peanut butter sandwiches, the snotty and silly horse society set, etc. and the male lead is a great example
Deb Haas
Mar 28, 2015 Deb Haas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read-faves
I love this omnibus. I have ever since I was a teenager addicted to romance novels. I don't actually know McCaffrey's dragon series - attempted to listen to the first one about 10 years ago and just couldn't get into it. I'm not a huge Sci-Fi fan to begin with.

I have very few physical books anymore for various reasons but this one I've actually re-purchased via eBay because the other got ripped up and ruined while in storage.

The three stories are not connected at all, other than the wonderful w
Sun No
Jan 21, 2016 Sun No rated it it was ok
A friend suggested this read. The author is well known for her fantasy books so I thought I'd try her attempt at a different genre. I read through it as quickly as possible. The first story was hard to get through but the latter weren't any better. Second story had potential and I enjoyed the mystery but the last one had me bored to tears. Yawning tears. Not your typical romance novel but for fans of either the genre or author.
Theresa
Feb 28, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
comb ination of three historical novels of anne maccaffrey in the fictional genre
Mark of merlin:
a great story of mystery and learning personal secretes
Ring of Fear:
one of the contemporary novels of Anne Mccaffrey, showing the dynamic ability she had to write in any genre.
The Year of the Lucy:
a love story, from one of the best authors in the world, it was a fiction story in modern times, a total divergent from the science fiction that she was known for.
Sue
Aug 10, 2014 Sue rated it liked it
I think I'll go back to the dragonbooks.
Janell
Feb 06, 2016 Janell rated it liked it
I've always been a fan of Anne McCaffrey but these three stories were really dated, both in the storyline itself as well as the conclusions. Surprisingly, some authors can write stories from past decades and have them still feel fresh but that was not the case here. On the plus side, the mysteries were fairly intriguing and McCaffrey definitely knows how to develop her characters so I still found them fairly enjoyable.
David A. Carey
Dec 03, 2012 David A. Carey rated it it was amazing
I have read many dozens of Anne McCaffrey's books over my lifetime and enjoyed most if not all of them, however this is the first non-science fiction offering.
This is a fantastic book. It is basically three books in one. Three, stories, three women, no connection at all from one story to another and each is basically a book in itself. (novella?)
I cannot wait to find some more of her non-science fiction offerings.
Jennie
Mar 23, 2011 Jennie rated it really liked it
Ok, yes these are romances, but I still like them. Particularly The Kilternan Legacy, which takes place in Ireland. Anne McCaffrey will forever remain my favorite author for her ability to make characters come to life. Even her one-book characters feel very well created and indepth.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I'm always expecting a fantasy story from Ms. McCafrey. This was a pleasant change with three stories of romance. Nothing to memorable. I think Ms. McCaffrey is better with her fantasy books.
Ruth
Feb 23, 2008 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fiction
These are some of McCaffrey's rare contemporary fiction. (well, it WAS contemporary when she wrote it, back in the 1970's; it's pretty dated now.)
Jana
Aug 08, 2013 Jana rated it it was amazing
I had to buy multiple copies since I've read it so many times, I've worn out the original book.
Deb
Jun 14, 2011 Deb rated it it was ok
Competent romances from the 1960s reissued in omnibus to take advantage of her later popularity.
Vickyb
Dec 15, 2007 Vickyb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These stories are a bit dated, but still a good read.
Very thick book, bought on ebay.
Elizabeth Miller
May 22, 2012 Elizabeth Miller rated it really liked it
Fun read. My edition has some pages out of order, but I like reading it all the same
Celina and Don
May 10, 2011 Celina and Don rated it it was amazing
Awesome
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
Dee Gray
Dee Gray marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Kelly Flynn
Kelly Flynn rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Joan Lindsey
Joan Lindsey marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Catherine Wright
Catherine Wright marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
B. Coenen
B. Coenen marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Caryn Gibson
Caryn Gibson marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
benj
benj marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
KimberinAK
KimberinAK rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The People of Pern
  • The Fleet (The Fleet, #1)
  • His
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Finishing Touches
  • 2041: Twelve Short Stories About the Future by Top Science Fiction Writers
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
  • Dining Out Around the Solar System
  • Safewords Davenport and Chiffon (Safeword, #4)
  • Lover & Commander
  • The One Worth Finding
  • The Stormy Petrel
  • Legends 2 (Legends 1, Volume 2of3)
  • The Filthy Thirteen: From the Dustbowl to Hitler's Eagle's Nest - The True Story of the 101st Airborne's Most Legendary Squad of Combat Paratroopers
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • The Sword of Knowledge (Sword of Knowledge, #1-3)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two
More about Anne McCaffrey...