Three Women (Omnibus: The Ring of Fear \ The Mark of Merlin \ The Kilternan Legacy)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  11 reviews
PAPERBACK
Published January 15th 1992 by Tor Books (first published 1990)

Kathy Davie
A.k.a., Three Women.

They're not actually Gothic in the usual sense. Instead, they are three completely separate romances. One is during the 1960s on Long Island, another is set during World War II on the East Coast, and the third is in Dublin, Ireland.

All three stories are most interesting for the attitudes of the times. If insta-love bothers you, you should probably skip this trio.

The Stories
"Ring of Fear" is a sweet if somewhat unbelievable story of a young lady fleeing her rapist after her fa...more
Sharon
This is some of McCaffrey's rare fiction - a collection of three stories published elsewhere. Three of her strongest themes appear here. The first story is set in the horse world, the second is a story set post WWII and features an intelligent German Shepherd, and the third features a divorced woman who moves to Ireland with her kids. I love to revisit these anytime I'm out of books.
David A. Carey
I have read many dozens of Anne McCaffrey's books over my lifetime and enjoyed most if not all of them, however this is the first non-science fiction offering.
This is a fantastic book. It is basically three books in one. Three, stories, three women, no connection at all from one story to another and each is basically a book in itself. (novella?)
I cannot wait to find some more of her non-science fiction offerings.
Jennie
Ok, yes these are romances, but I still like them. Particularly The Kilternan Legacy, which takes place in Ireland. Anne McCaffrey will forever remain my favorite author for her ability to make characters come to life. Even her one-book characters feel very well created and indepth.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
I'm always expecting a fantasy story from Ms. McCafrey. This was a pleasant change with three stories of romance. Nothing to memorable. I think Ms. McCaffrey is better with her fantasy books.
Theresa
comb ination of three historical novels of anne maccaffrey in the fictional genre
Mark of merlin: a great story of mystery and learning personal secretes
Ruth
These are some of McCaffrey's rare contemporary fiction. (well, it WAS contemporary when she wrote it, back in the 1970's; it's pretty dated now.)
Jana
I had to buy multiple copies since I've read it so many times, I've worn out the original book.
Deb
Competent romances from the 1960s reissued in omnibus to take advantage of her later popularity.
Vickyb
These stories are a bit dated, but still a good read.
Very thick book, bought on ebay.
Elizabeth Miller
Fun read. My edition has some pages out of order, but I like reading it all the same
Dina
Dina marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Rick Davis
Rick Davis marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Mollie
Mollie marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
B.k. Griffin
B.k. Griffin marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
2dragon4u2
2dragon4u2 marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Ida
Ida marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Elly
Elly marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Fleet (The Fleet, #1)
  • The People of Pern
  • I'm a Big Brother
  • Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • Miss Mary Mack
  • Safewords Davenport and Chiffon (Safeword, #5)
  • Snowmen All Year
  • Sheep on a Ship
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two...more
More about Anne McCaffrey...
Dragonflight (Pern, #1) Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1) The White Dragon (Pern, #3) Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2) Dragonquest (Pern, #2)