Start by marking “Three Women (Omnibus: The Ring of Fear \ The Mark of Merlin \ The Kilternan Legacy)” as Want to Read:

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  15 reviews
PAPERBACK
Published January 15th 1992 by Tor Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Three Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Women

Kathy Davie
A.k.a., Three Women.

They're not actually Gothic in the usual sense. Instead, they are three completely separate romances. One is during the 1960s on Long Island, another is set during World War II on the East Coast, and the third is in Dublin, Ireland.

All three stories are most interesting for the attitudes of the times. If insta-love bothers you, you should probably skip this trio.

The Stories
"Ring of Fear" is a sweet if somewhat unbelievable story of a young lady fleeing her rapist after her fa
Sharon
This is some of McCaffrey's rare fiction - a collection of three stories published elsewhere. Three of her strongest themes appear here. The first story is set in the horse world, the second is a story set post WWII and features an intelligent German Shepherd, and the third features a divorced woman who moves to Ireland with her kids. I love to revisit these anytime I'm out of books.
I've always considered Anne McCaffrey a science-fiction/fantasy author. I had no idea, until this book was given to me, that she had also dabbled in romance. Her voice is quite clear, and overall I enjoyed them. I like how the "heros" are not classically handsome. For instance, Raf is short and the Colonol is badly scarred on one half of his face. I find so many romance today have the heroes as being outrageously gorgeous, washboard abs, an the like. This was quite the refresher.

The Ring of Fear
Deb Haas
I love this omnibus. I have ever since I was a teenager addicted to romance novels. I don't actually know McCaffrey's dragon series - attempted to listen to the first one about 10 years ago and just couldn't get into it. I'm not a huge Sci-Fi fan to begin with.

I have very few physical books anymore for various reasons but this one I've actually re-purchased via eBay because the other got ripped up and ruined while in storage.

The three stories are not connected at all, other than the wonderful w
Theresa
comb ination of three historical novels of anne maccaffrey in the fictional genre
Mark of merlin:
a great story of mystery and learning personal secretes
Ring of Fear:
one of the contemporary novels of Anne Mccaffrey, showing the dynamic ability she had to write in any genre.
The Year of the Lucy:
a love story, from one of the best authors in the world, it was a fiction story in modern times, a total divergent from the science fiction that she was known for.
Sue
I think I'll go back to the dragonbooks.
David A. Carey
I have read many dozens of Anne McCaffrey's books over my lifetime and enjoyed most if not all of them, however this is the first non-science fiction offering.
This is a fantastic book. It is basically three books in one. Three, stories, three women, no connection at all from one story to another and each is basically a book in itself. (novella?)
I cannot wait to find some more of her non-science fiction offerings.
Jennie
Ok, yes these are romances, but I still like them. Particularly The Kilternan Legacy, which takes place in Ireland. Anne McCaffrey will forever remain my favorite author for her ability to make characters come to life. Even her one-book characters feel very well created and indepth.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I'm always expecting a fantasy story from Ms. McCafrey. This was a pleasant change with three stories of romance. Nothing to memorable. I think Ms. McCaffrey is better with her fantasy books.
Ruth
These are some of McCaffrey's rare contemporary fiction. (well, it WAS contemporary when she wrote it, back in the 1970's; it's pretty dated now.)
Jana
I had to buy multiple copies since I've read it so many times, I've worn out the original book.
Deb
Competent romances from the 1960s reissued in omnibus to take advantage of her later popularity.
Vickyb
These stories are a bit dated, but still a good read.
Very thick book, bought on ebay.
Elizabeth Miller
Fun read. My edition has some pages out of order, but I like reading it all the same
Pamela Rossell
Pamela Rossell marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Rayvyn Knight
Rayvyn Knight marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Myra
Myra marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Sarah Cunningham
Sarah Cunningham marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Bob Tuggle
Bob Tuggle marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Susan Calvin
Susan Calvin marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Fleet (The Fleet, #1)
  • The People of Pern
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Finishing Touches
  • His
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
  • 2041: Twelve Short Stories About the Future by Top Science Fiction Writers
  • The One Worth Finding
  • Lover & Commander
  • Safewords Davenport and Chiffon (Safeword, #4)
  • The Stormy Petrel
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • Wild at Heart
  • At the Edge of Space (Hanan Rebellion Omnibus) (Alliance-Union Universe)
  • Math Work Stations: Independent Learning You Can Count On, K-2
  • Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two
More about Anne McCaffrey...
Dragonflight (Pern, #1) Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1) The White Dragon (Pern, #3) Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2) Dragonquest (Pern, #2)