Start by marking “Three Women (Omnibus: The Ring of Fear \ The Mark of Merlin \ The Kilternan Legacy)” as Want to Read:

Three full-length mystery-romance novels from the bestselling author of The Rowan--spellbinding, heartwarming stories of love and danger--are contained in this one splendid volume. "Enjoyable reading through and through".--Booklist. A limited edition of this omnibus was published as Three Gothic Novels (Underwood Miller).
Published January 15th 1992 by Tor Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Three Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Women

Kathy Davie
Jan 10, 2013 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, history
A.k.a., Three Women.

They're not actually Gothic in the usual sense. Instead, they are three completely separate romances. One is during the 1960s on Long Island, another is set during World War II on the East Coast, and the third is in Dublin, Ireland.

All three stories are most interesting for the attitudes of the times. If insta-love bothers you, you should probably skip this trio.

The Stories
"Ring of Fear" is a sweet if somewhat unbelievable story of a young lady fleeing her rapist after her fa
Nov 28, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I've always considered Anne McCaffrey a science-fiction/fantasy author. I had no idea, until this book was given to me, that she had also dabbled in romance. Her voice is quite clear, and overall I enjoyed them. I like how the "heros" are not classically handsome. For instance, Raf is short and the Colonol is badly scarred on one half of his face. I find so many romance today have the heroes as being outrageously gorgeous, washboard abs, an the like. This was quite the refresher.

The Ring of Fear
Sharon
Jan 10, 2010 Sharon rated it it was amazing
This is some of McCaffrey's rare fiction - a collection of three stories published elsewhere. Three of her strongest themes appear here. The first story is set in the horse world, the second is a story set post WWII and features an intelligent German Shepherd, and the third features a divorced woman who moves to Ireland with her kids. I love to revisit these anytime I'm out of books.
Rhode
Aug 06, 2015 Rhode rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Basically hokey chic lit that's terrifically dated ... And yet in some ways it's not because in all three cases the women are stronger and less dependent on men than their peers would have been. It's three novellas with no internal connections (different places and people).

My favorite is the one about the female jockey. I think in part because of the realism of her life, the old car, the peanut butter sandwiches, the snotty and silly horse society set, etc. and the male lead is a great example
Deb Haas
Mar 28, 2015 Deb Haas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read-faves
I love this omnibus. I have ever since I was a teenager addicted to romance novels. I don't actually know McCaffrey's dragon series - attempted to listen to the first one about 10 years ago and just couldn't get into it. I'm not a huge Sci-Fi fan to begin with.

I have very few physical books anymore for various reasons but this one I've actually re-purchased via eBay because the other got ripped up and ruined while in storage.

The three stories are not connected at all, other than the wonderful w
Sun No
Jan 21, 2016 Sun No rated it it was ok
A friend suggested this read. The author is well known for her fantasy books so I thought I'd try her attempt at a different genre. I read through it as quickly as possible. The first story was hard to get through but the latter weren't any better. Second story had potential and I enjoyed the mystery but the last one had me bored to tears. Yawning tears. Not your typical romance novel but for fans of either the genre or author.
Janell
Feb 06, 2016 Janell rated it liked it
I've always been a fan of Anne McCaffrey but these three stories were really dated, both in the storyline itself as well as the conclusions. Surprisingly, some authors can write stories from past decades and have them still feel fresh but that was not the case here. On the plus side, the mysteries were fairly intriguing and McCaffrey definitely knows how to develop her characters so I still found them fairly enjoyable.
David A. Carey
Dec 03, 2012 David A. Carey rated it it was amazing
I have read many dozens of Anne McCaffrey's books over my lifetime and enjoyed most if not all of them, however this is the first non-science fiction offering.
This is a fantastic book. It is basically three books in one. Three, stories, three women, no connection at all from one story to another and each is basically a book in itself. (novella?)
I cannot wait to find some more of her non-science fiction offerings.
Theresa
Feb 28, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
comb ination of three historical novels of anne maccaffrey in the fictional genre
Mark of merlin:
a great story of mystery and learning personal secretes
Ring of Fear:
one of the contemporary novels of Anne Mccaffrey, showing the dynamic ability she had to write in any genre.
The Year of the Lucy:
a love story, from one of the best authors in the world, it was a fiction story in modern times, a total divergent from the science fiction that she was known for.
Jennie
Mar 23, 2011 Jennie rated it really liked it
Ok, yes these are romances, but I still like them. Particularly The Kilternan Legacy, which takes place in Ireland. Anne McCaffrey will forever remain my favorite author for her ability to make characters come to life. Even her one-book characters feel very well created and indepth.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I'm always expecting a fantasy story from Ms. McCafrey. This was a pleasant change with three stories of romance. Nothing to memorable. I think Ms. McCaffrey is better with her fantasy books.
Leslie B
Aug 07, 2016 Leslie B rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books! I usually don't care for short stories - I want more! - but these three are great. Wonderful stories, great characters, really an enjoyable read!
Ruth
Feb 23, 2008 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fiction
These are some of McCaffrey's rare contemporary fiction. (well, it WAS contemporary when she wrote it, back in the 1970's; it's pretty dated now.)
M
M rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
Jessica Dury
Jessica Dury rated it liked it
May 15, 2013
Jolyn
Jolyn rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2010
Renee Wood
Renee Wood rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2013
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2012
Ann Brookens
Ann Brookens rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
Virginia
Virginia rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2014
Miki
Miki rated it it was ok
Apr 22, 2009
Sarah rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2013
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2012
James H.
James H. rated it really liked it
May 26, 2015
Brandon
Brandon rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2012
Larry Berger
Larry Berger rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2013
Treena
Treena rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Ra
Ra rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2012
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Fleet (The Fleet, #1)
  • The People of Pern
  • The Ship Avenged
  • His
  • Dining Out Around the Solar System (Dining Out Around The Solar System, #1)
  • Anne McCaffrey's Unicorn Girl: The Illustrated Adventures
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
  • Finishing Touches
  • Safewords Davenport and Chiffon (Safeword, #4)
  • The One Worth Finding
  • 2041: Twelve Short Stories About the Future by Top Science Fiction Writers
  • Lover & Commander
  • The Stormy Petrel
  • Jenna Starborn
  • Legends 2 (Legends 1, Volume 2of3)
  • Beyond The Sun
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey...