Start by marking “Self-Promotion for Introverts: The Quiet Guide to Getting Ahead” as Want to Read:
Self-Promotion for Introverts: The Quiet Guide to Getting Ahead

Self-Promotion for Introverts: The Quiet Guide to Getting Ahead

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  30 reviews
"Filled with tips ... The author's tone is supportive and she does not argue that introverts should become live wires."
"--The New York Times"

"Whatever's behind your reluctance to speak out for yourself, ["Self-Promotion for Introverts"(R)] is the first book I've seen with serious research on the topic that leads to a new game plan; it may help you promote yourself without...more
Published September 22nd 2009 by McGraw-Hill

To ask other readers questions about Self-Promotion for Introverts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self-Promotion for Introverts

Judy
Apr 18, 2013 Judy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: introverts having difficulty in an extroverted job market
I liked this book. In the beginning, not so much because it took me a while to adjust to the author's tone which seemed cocky. By the end of the book, I realized that she wasn't cocky, but very confident.

What I liked:

*Its practical. It doesn't consist of ways to "act extroverted". Quite the contrary, it offers practical advice on how to be yourself while doing extroverted activities.
*The emphasis on using introverted strengths
*Interview strategies and advice
*Practical public speaking tips
*Netwo...more
Jay
Author Ancowitz provides a self help book that talks to the introverted reader, making suggestions and providing encouragement. This is very much like other career minded self help books I've read, but it does focus on issues that "introverts" may have. That made this book more than just an OK book. The author is a character in her own book, which is common in self-help books - using herself as an example. The ending is an overt suggestion that coaching may help, and surprise - the author is als...more
Res
I don't know; maybe this got very impressive after I dropped it. Problems:

- It conflates introversion with social anxiety. I mean, it claims it doesn't -- it describes the difference -- but all the tips for introverts are really about dealing with fear.

- It spends an awful lot of time defining "introvert" and giving lots of advice about determining whether you are one. Um, I picked up a book called "Self-Promotion For Introverts"; pretty sure I've already answered this question.

- It was very he...more
C. Clark
I've done a lot of studying about promotion for introverts since I'm a writer by profession and speak on the subject. I read this book to seek new angles for my presentations, but found little I didn't already know. A major rub for me was the author's repetitive mention of the fact writing a book was new to her, and she wasn't really a writer. Once was enough. She means well and covers a lot of ground, and for someone who's never thought about promotion as a withdrawn individual, it would offer...more
James Jr.
I find that self-help books usually fall into one of two categories: helpful and appropriate or wildly irrelevant to my own personal situation. Self-promotion for Introverts is one of the former. I am a lifelong introvert, writer, and IT professional who has struggled with putting myself out in front. I found Nancy Ancowitz's descriptions of her encounters with celebrities while writing this book particularly familiar in terms of the thought processes she went through before approaching each one...more
It was okay. Didn't really find it worthwhile, but that is perhaps because of the field I work in - I felt like I knew all of this already due to my knowledge of career development and MBTI. But despite that, I found the overall style and tone of the book dull. She made introverts out to be complete wallflowers who are incapable of any social interaction. Granted I am an extreme introvert and I struggle with this too, I think it was the use of all the imagery and "use your gifts!" language, alon...more
Ron
Given the title, I thought this book must have been written just for me. Then I started reading it, and realized I've already read all this stuff elsewhere. Not a bad book, just not essential. May be good for some introvert who doesn't do much reading (?).
Lacey Louwagie
I think I would have gotten more out of this book if I had my own copy. Instead, I had it checked out from the library on interlibrary loan, so I couldn't even renew it ... which meant I had to sort of zip through it, even though there are a bunch of exercises you're supposed to do, which I didn't do (although I tried to do a few of them mentally). The author is a career coach, so I think she tried to translate a lot of the exercises she does with clients to the pages of this book. And while I t...more
Ancowitz has really great ideas for self-promotion in this book. As an introvert, I have a very hard time getting myself noticed at work and putting my ideas out there. I have been trying to move into a different position where I work and so far have been unsuccessful. Prior to reading this book I started taking steps such as volunteering with an employee club at work and volunteering to do other job duties outside of my regular job duties. Now I am going to put the ideas Ancowitz mentions in th...more
Karen
I could have done without the injection of politics (fawning over former President Clinton, for one) but there were some helpful hints. I'm a self-professed Introverted-Introvert and I need lots of ideas and encouragement for breaking out of that. I didn't do all the exercises in this book, but I did find some useful things to think about.
Starfire
Jan 15, 2013 Starfire rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pretty much ANY introverts who'd like to be more visible in ways that feel comfortable for them
I picked this up as research for the upcoming training call I'm doing for introverts who want to promote themselves online - but it actually ended up teaching me a lot about managing my energy levels and generally staying sane as an introvert, completely independent of any promotion.

It's easy to read with no shortage of useful, practical tips for introverts trying to get comfortable with being visible in a highly extroverted world.

My only criticism is the assumption that all introverts are reade...more
Ann Addley
I wasn't a big fan of this book. It the layout was great and there was a handful of helpful tips in there. But I felt that though it claimed to be written by an introvert, that many of the suggestions were not in fact sensitive to the particular terrors of introverts trying to self promote. Maybe I'm nitpicking the book seems to be a nice introduction to self promoting just not specifically for introverts as it claims on the cover.
Gwen
Jul 17, 2013 Gwen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gwen by: 2.14.2013 The Billfold comments
Shelves: career
This felt like the workbook accompaniment to Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, although it seemed that Ancowitz often confused "shy" with "introverted"--the terms are not synonyms.

Ancowitz relied too heavily on a small number of people (if I saw one more quote from Cathie Black, I was very tempted to throw the book across the room), but overall, she's brought a solid book to market.

A good tip: Advocate for yourself like you would advocate for a friend. (5)
Rebecca
Apr 26, 2011 Rebecca rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who feels the need to promote themselves
Shelves: non-fiction
My two initial impressions of this book were not good: the cover has glasses on it for some reason (does that mean only introverts wear glasses or if you're introverted you wear glasses?) and the first chapter implied, to me, if you're an introvert you have low self-esteem. Not true.

The rest of the book reminded me of "What Color Is Your Parachute?", but written with specific attention on how introverts can do those activities.

I'm still slightly unclear on exactly what networking is - it seems...more
Robert Bean
This book was well-written and easy to read. I enjoyed all of the personal stories that were included from many of the different successful people that Nancy Ancowitz included within the pages. I think her ideas are spot on, and I can see how she has been a big help to other introverts as they built a better career for themselves.

If you're an artist, this book can be a big help for how you approach the public relations aspect of your career.
Elizabeth
I have not read this book yet, but I did come across a chart included in the book from another source:

I cannot speak to the extrovert definitions, but the Introvert ones are spot-on, which is enough to make me want to read the book. In my own home. During some free time. After I unplug the phone.
Emily
I appreciated Ancowitz understanding of her audience and the way she did not encourage introverts to try to be more extroverted, while dispensing practical advice and wisdom throughout her book. I started off expecting to skip around throughout the book (and it could certainly be read and utilized well in this way) but kept finding myself settling in to read, not wanting to miss nuggets of information.
Sergei_kalinin
Это уже третья книга про интровертов за последние полгода :) Довольно неплохая! Хотя, пожалуй, в ней меньше всего психологии, но больше всего само-маркетинга (self-promotion), но с поправкой на интроверсию.

Решил сделать в блоге своего рода дайджест, собрав вместе наиболее полезные материалы из этой и 2 других книг: http://s-kalinin.blogspot.ru/2013/11/...
Marco Gallardo
No me gusta leer este tipo de libros, lo leí porque es parte de misa objetivos en el trabajo leer 3 libros de la biblioteca de la empresa y pensé que éste sería bueno. Tiene buenas ideas, algunos puntos interesantes, pero finalmente asume que la población se divide en introvertidos y extrovertidos, y que todos los individuos de cada grupo son iguales.
Bekka
Great book for introverts in the workforce.

It's easy to figure out that we have to "sell ourselves" to get ahead professionally, but another thing to do so for introverts.

This author makes the activities associated with "selling oneself" palatable for introverts.
Robert
I'm not sure what I expected from this book, but I know I didn't get it. Quiet by Susan Cain was much better and I think covered a lot of the same material. Maybe I was just looking for something different, something more, I don't know.
Michael Joseph Brown
This is a great book for introverts. There is much in it that I will continue to use. I decided that I need to put them together in a binder so that I can make all these great insights more effective.
Kristen
Good information but slightly exhausting to read more than a chapter at a time. The author's personal experiences/anecdotes start to grate after a while, too.
Susan Wight
Some useful tips here but it seems to me that American introverts must be a lot more extroverted than Australian ones.
Kim Thebwordpoet
"Great marketing tips, self-promotion ideas, self reflection, great resources, and inspirational."
Promod Sharma
I got bored within minutes and stopped. Based on the other reviews I don't think I'm missing much.
Susan
I like this book. It gives some good tips that I have used, and which work.
Amy
Putting this one away for now. Perhaps I will pick it back up later.
George Sudarkoff
Couldn't finish it - such a snoozer!
  • The Happy Introvert: A Wild and Crazy Guide to Celebrating Your True Self
  • Networking for People Who Hate Networking: A Field Guide for Introverts, the Overwhelmed, and the Underconnected
  • The Introverted Leader: Building on Your Quiet Strength
  • Introvert Power: Why Your Inner Life Is Your Hidden Strength
  • The Loss of Sadness: How Psychiatry Transformed Normal Sorrow Into Depressive Disorder
  • Career Renegade: How to Make a Great Living Doing What You Love
  • Do More Great Work: Stop the Busywork. Start the Work That Matters.
  • The Power of Body Language: How to Succeed in Every Business and Social Encounter
  • Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: No Schedules, No Meetings, No Joke--the Simple Change That Can Make Your Job Terrific
  • Party of One: The Loners' Manifesto
  • Being the Boss: The 3 Imperatives for Becoming a Great Leader
  • Shyness: How Normal Behavior Became a Sickness
  • I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just Not You: The Real Meaning of the Sixteen Personality Types
  • Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It
  • Endless Referrals: Network Your Everyday Contacts into Sales
  • Zen and the Art of Making a Living: A Practical Guide to Creative Career Design
  • Understanding Other People: The Five Secrets to Human Behavior
  • Good in a Room: How to Sell Yourself (and Your Ideas) and Win Over Any Audience