Start by marking “The Bark Of The Bog Owl (The Wilderking Trilogy) (The Wilderking Trilogy)” as Want to Read:
The Bark Of The Bog Owl (The Wilderking Trilogy) (The Wilderking Trilogy)

The Bark Of The Bog Owl (The Wilderking Trilogy) (The Wilderking Trilogy #1)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,029 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
The prophet Bayard arrives at Longleaf Manor, the estate of Lord Errol with an unanticipated announcement. Aidan Errol, Lord Errol's youngest son, is the Wilderking. But the weight and glory of this pronouncement is yet to be shouldered.

In the meanwhile, Lord Errol and his sons attend a Treaty Feast celebrating a pact signed between Corenwald and the Pythen Empire. But Co

Kindle Edition
Published (first published September 1st 2004)

Jared
This is a fun short book targeted to Middle School kids around 10 and up. The story is about 12 year old Aidan Errolson who yearns for adventure, and guess what, he gets it! It begins when he encounters a kid around his age that is one of the feechiefolk - "a tribe of half-civilized swamp dwellers who fight too much, laugh too loud, cry too easily and smell just terrible." One of the things that I love about this book is that about 2/3 of the way through there is a big surprise in the story that ...more
Katie W
This is an imaginative retelling of the story of David from the Bible. I especially liked the lines:

"Live the life that unfolds before you [...:] Who knows what the future holds? Only the One God [...:] You just live the little bit of life that you can see in front of you. You live it well. And that gets you ready for whatever unfolds next."

Heroes don't become who they are overnight. When God is guiding us we grow gradually in faith and courage and truth and each step in our life, our successes
Brenda
Jul 25, 2014 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just read a little gem of a book by Jonathan Rogers. Although the cover doesn't say it, it's based loosely on the Bible story of David. It's called The Bark of the Bog Owl

This is one of those books that would be fantastic to read to your kids. Or if you have older boys who like to read, I think they'd love it. The hero of the story is a young boy, just twelve years old, who does incredible things with the help of God.

The Christian message is there, but it didn't feel preachy at all. It was jus
We love
Mar 10, 2016 We love rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a
My oldest really enjoyed this! A retelling of sorts of Saul and David from the Bible. She is excited to read the others...
Trace
Jul 22, 2013 Trace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so much FUN as a read-aloud!! Lots of excitement and lots of unique voices...

Its a retelling of the story of King David and its really well done!
Lots of boyish adventures that kept my son on the edge of his seat during this entire read-aloud! We are anxiously awaiting the second book in the trilogy from the library.

I personally found the rough and tumble friendship between Aidan and Dobro to be very charming, even if, as a woman, I could not relate to their extreme boy-ishness...
Hari
Feb 14, 2015 Hari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice book

I didn't realize this was a bible-based book at first, so it was sort of fun to rediscover the story of David and Goliath as I went. This was fun and super cute. Great book to have on the kid's shelf.
Hosanna
Oct 23, 2015 Hosanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Ever since I was...maybe 8, I have LOVED this series, which makes this the 7th year being one of my favorite series! When I finished the last book in the series, I would want to cry because it was over! The Bark of the Bog Owl is full of adventure, story twists and unusual characters. The characters are real, and you learn to love them through the story. Jonathan Rogers also takes this book an extra step to parallel one of the most exciting adventures in the Bible, to show how it might had felt ...more
Jen
Though it doesn't say as much in the synopsis, this is a clever retelling of the story of David told from a time long past in a country that closely resembles the swampland of Georgia. It sticks pretty close to the events told in the Bible, but fills in the gaps with some very creative storylines.
Kate Mcatee
After Aidan writes one more letter asking the new prophet for an adventure to be sent on, Aidan finds himself hearing and seeing things no adventurer has ever before. He heard the bark of the god owl, just as mystical as the name seems. No one had ever heard or seen this owl before, only made up stories to prove their existence. Now that Aidan has the evidence of his own ears, he must find a way to the Bog Owl. When spotting the feechiefolk boy across town, these two characters are in for a trea ...more
Karoline
This is a hard one to review. It has some great charm and wit, and Corenwald is mysteriously like America. There are some really great lines, like, "Live the life that unfolds before you." If only I could remember that all the time... I tend to get caught up in the looming future. But, I digress.

This book uses the story of David, but in a fresher way. If David lived in a land where gators and feechies roamed, what would his adventures be? The writing was mostly great, and I was entertained the
Lacey
Aug 06, 2013 Lacey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good! I didn't realize when I started it that it was the story of King David from the bible including the slaying of Goliath. It made the story come to life for me. The first time I could really imagine this wonderful biblical story!
Alexa
Feb 08, 2014 Alexa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of two books I've read which I bought from Logos Hope.
At first, I thought it was like something about simply catching a bog owl, but then, after reading it (and realizing I didn't have the next two books,) you could say I fell into a slight depression. Yup, that's how much I love this book. Right now, I'm even searching all over for the second and third book of this.

This book may just be one of the few adventure books that I like. And what's more, it reminded me that I'm a Cath
Elizabeth
Did you ever long for the story of a pre-king King David to be translated as a middle-grade adventure fantasy with strong flavors of the American South? No? Well, Jonathan Rogers wrote it anyway. And, yeah... it works.
Arminzerella
Jill Williamson
Sep 03, 2008 Jill Williamson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Medieval fantasy is one of my favorite genres, so it was no surprise that I enjoyed Jonathan Roger’s The Bark of the Bog Owl. This is the fist book in the Wilderking Trilogy, which parallels the life of King David.

An old prophet tells Aiden, a shepherd boy from Corenwald, that he is to become the Wilderking. The idea is so far-fetched, Aiden’s older brothers laugh it off. Even his father wonders if the old prophet is getting too old. Aiden, however, has had dreams about such things for a while n
Drew
Nov 26, 2011 Drew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Take the story of King David and transfer it to the swamps and bayous of the southeastern US, and you'll have some idea of what you're getting into here. Aidan Errol ends up on the business end of a prophecy when a traveling soothsayer named Bayard pronounces him the future king of Corenwald. A somewhat predictable story follows when Aidan must help save the land from an invading army and face a fearsome giant.

This is mainly a middle-grade reader, and makes a good read-aloud as well. The settin
Amy Lauer
Mar 30, 2015 Amy Lauer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this trilogy aloud to my 1st and 3rd graders and we ALL loved it. I even caught my husband reading ahead when he knew he'd be out of town! Loads of fun with many points to stop and ask questions, make connections. It loosely follows the story of David from shepherd to king and has the memorable quote, "Live the life that unfolds before you--love goodness more than you fear evil."
Jen
Apr 01, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a lot of Christian fiction out there that's so heavy-handed it's kind of exhausting to read. Thankfully, this is not like that; the story moves at a pretty good clip (a little too fast in the beginning, in my opinion), the characters are funny and interesting, and the story is a brilliant take off on the David narrative. I really enjoyed the adventuresome spirit of this tale and the ways in which Rogers makes David (here, Aiden Errolson, every inch the young boy trying to become somethin ...more
Carissa
Apr 25, 2008 Carissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i had some trepidations about this one. i found it at the frugal muse and the cover was very appealing, so i bought it. upon closer inspection, it promised to be “biblical fiction” and i wondered if it were right for our public library setting. after reading it, the allusions to the story of king david are definitely there, but unless you’re really looking for them, you can read it just for the storyline and ignore the hidden messages. that being said, jonathan rogers is no c.s. lewis. the story ...more
Joshua
Jul 19, 2015 Joshua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We loved this book. My daughter is 10 y/o and we read this book together. Can't wait to move on to book 2. We love that Aiden is so mindful and observant of what the truth is and stands firm on the truth like a granite foundation while others less aware appear to be paralyzed.
Melissa
Feb 04, 2015 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Written to help children understand what King David may have been feeling once he was anointed king of Israel. While fictional, it follows the story of Aiden (King David) so closely that it becomes predictable.

Good for children, not as much fun for adults.
Chloe
Feb 04, 2014 Chloe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. So I've read a book or two based off of Bible stories, but this was WAY better than those! I'm not going to say which Bible story it is, because that would just spoil it ^_^ But I really enjoyed this book, Aiden Errolson can be rather annoying, and he is not my favorite, he is courageous at times. I highly recommend this book to anyone wanting an adventure/ Bible story to read :)
Tricia
Nov 13, 2010 Tricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a nutshell, this book us a retelling of David and Goliath. But it is so much more than what that short summary suggests! It's inventive, exciting, funny at times, but packs a deep message about faith, courage, and being true to yourself. It's also very well written, and a joy to read aloud.

There is, however, a serious treatment of cowardice vs courage and trust and a pretty dramatic battle in the final chapters. Some might object to the battles and nationalism and overt statements of faith.
Rachael Mathis
May 18, 2016 Rachael Mathis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really creative, fun retelling of King David. The writing is smart and funny, and it kept my interest despite being geared for middle school kids. Favorite line - "Live the life that unfolds before you."
Johnny Bennett
Read this one aloud to the kids. Probably a little advanced for them. Borrows heavily from David and Goliath. Still it was well written and entertaining.
Christie
Mar 24, 2014 Christie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The whole family loves the Wilderking books. They are especially appealing to Georgians, who will recognize home in the landscape of Corenwald.
Noah
Dec 28, 2015 Noah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cool book! Followed the story of David quite closely, with him being a shepherd, fighting a giant and such.
Lobug
Feb 06, 2014 Lobug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun little "David and Goliath" story! Good character development, well-written, interesting. Perfect read-aloud/discussion book with the kids!
Matt Carpenter
Dec 14, 2015 Matt Carpenter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It's based on the life of David as a young man, but it's great.
Molly
Jul 22, 2008 Molly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, children
The author seems to be an admirer of CS Lewis's Narnia but Lewis was never so heavy handed with the Christian Agenda. (I adored Narnia as a child.) I was disappointed and bored when Rogers retold David and Goliath as part of the story -only the names had been changed. As Shakespeare would say, "That is an old device, and it was played. When I from Thebes came last a conqueror."

The fanciful plot of the rise of the wilderking, while reminiscent of Lloyd Alexander, was charming until it was smothe
  • North! or Be Eaten (The Wingfeather Saga, #2)
  • Curse of the Spider King (The Berinfell Prophecies, #1)
  • The Restorer's Journey (The Sword of Lyric #3)
  • Rise of the Dibor
  • From Darkness Won (Blood of Kings, #3)
  • The Book of Names (Legends of Karac Tor, #1)
  • Sir Kendrick and the Castle of Bel Lione (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #1)
  • Dragons of the Valley (Valley of the Dragons, #2)
  • Bringer of Storms (Binding of the Blade #2)
  • Starflower (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #4)
Jonathan Rogers grew up in Georgia, where he spent many happy hours in the swamps and riverbottoms on which the wild places of The Wilderking are based. He received his undergraduate degree from Furman University in South Carolina and holds a Ph.D. in seventeenth-century English literature from Vanderbilt University. The Bark of the Bog Owl has already found a receptive audience among Jonathan’s o ...more
More about Jonathan Rogers...

The Wilderking Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Secret of the Swamp King (The Wilderking Trilogy, #2)
  • The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy, #3)

“Live the life that unfolds before you- love goodness more than you fear evil.” 9 likes