Start by marking “Into the Rising Sun: In Their Own Words, World War II's Pacific Veteran” as Want to Read:
Into the Rising Sun: In Their Own Words, World War II's Pacific Veteran

Into the Rising Sun: In Their Own Words, World War II's Pacific Veteran

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  122 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
"Iwo Jima was a massacre. I never expected anything like that. People were dying left and right...No names should have been used on the flag raisings because we didn't get up there by ourselves. It was the collective actions of a lot of people and there were a lot of Raiders and paratroopers up there with us."

-- Charles Lindberg, Flag Raiser

Patrick O'Donnell has made a ca
Published July 13th 2010 by Free Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Rising Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Rising Sun

Don
Aug 28, 2015 Don rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My dad served in the Pacific during World War II so I chose this book to give me a glimpse of what it was like for him. The book describes the war in the Pacific as “a war without mercy” and the accounts that the soldiers give of combat there prove that to be true. It was the most savage and brutal theater in World War II and it was the experience of the Pacific theater and the last battle of World War II in Okinawa that led to the decision to drop the bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. My dad was ...more
Philip
Feb 09, 2014 Philip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good history of the Pacific Theater from the personal memories of those involved. Great stories from the Greatest Generation. Every person should know the realities of their sacrifice.
Will Radie
Jan 03, 2013 Will Radie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-ii
Outstanding book about the war in the Pacific. The premise is simple but it works so well. The author sets up each chapter with a general overview of what the following pages will discuss and then he leaves it up to the words of the veterans to flesh out the details. This provides both a polished and raw account of the events. Having the words come directly from the men who were there is downright griping. The stories are quite powerful and hearing them from a first person perspective really con ...more
Ray Pierson
May 13, 2009 Ray Pierson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best oral histories of the war in the Pacific (WWII). The author interviewed servicemen from many branches and assignments. Of special interest to me were the comments of Merrill's Marauders. In the late 1950s I met the sister of one (he was killed by friendly fire when his column bumped into some Chinese troops mistaken for Japanese), and in the early 1960s I met a Marauder who had somehow survived the war. Rather than being the stereotypical "one-man army" you would expect o ...more
Adam Cox
May 17, 2009 Adam Cox rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war
An interesting book relating to the personal experiences of the soldiers in the Pacific Theatre during WWII. I went into the book knowing it was going to be anecdotal, so I was overall pleased with the layout as the book was laid out in chapters relating to the battles fought and the veterans memoirs on them. Some of the stories were rather gory, but it added to the realism of the book. Not so much of a read to gain the strategic scope of warfare in the Pacific, but rather to see some of the tri ...more
Stephanie
Feb 01, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you harbor any romantic notions about infantry combat, this book will pretty much dispel them. This is the history of the Pacific theater of World War II as told directly in the words of specially trained Marines who fought in it. Come prepared for a lot of bad language and scenes of real horrors, but also for a priceless glimpse into the minds and hearts of the men on the ground that will enrich your appreciation for them and the country we live in.
Michael Flanagan
Oct 10, 2010 Michael Flanagan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww-2
A great book covering the U.S.A's marine's involvement in the Pacific theatre of war during WWII. Patrick O'Donnell has personally collected first hand accounts of those involved, some never told before. All the major battles are covered, with a great overview of each.

The individual stories overlap seamlessly to weave a timeless story of the horror’s, sorrow and courage of war.
Hans S.
The memories of the veterans of the Pacific theatre of WW 2 give this book a very strong feeling of authenticity. However a serious historian cannot think that what the veterans remember after decades is always factually 100% correct. Nevertheless this is a pretty convincing book and many of the stories are quite gruesome. One gets a general feeling of how horrible the war was.
Todd
Nov 10, 2007 Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
A good read, but I wished the author spent a little more time with non-special forces Marines. I know this was his prerogative, but since most of the Raider units were folded into Marine infantry regiments and units, it would have been a little more consistent.

That said, it was a pretty intense look into the nightmare that was the Pacific theater.
Nick
Nov 30, 2010 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
An amazing account of the personal experiences of WWII vets in the Pacific Theater. If you like books about WWII, or personal accounts of combat related experiences, this book is for you.
Steve
Jan 31, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on accounts told by veterans who fought in the Pacific during WWII. They described the reality and horrors of the battles they fought.
Mark Cooper
Oct 03, 2008 Mark Cooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mark-2008
[Audio] Unbelievable stories of the soldiers who began the attack in the Pacific. Incredibly humbling insight into what these men faced.
Carol
Nov 15, 2011 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard read when you have a loved one who experienced the Pacific Theater. Great book.
David
Jul 21, 2010 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing view of WWII from the boots on the ground.
V.G. Grace
V.G. Grace marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Q
Q added it
Jan 22, 2016
Neal fleming
Neal fleming marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Dennis Fredette
Dennis Fredette marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Eric Schlehlein
Eric Schlehlein rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Jb3
Jb3 marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Gelo
Gelo marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Kristine Beskin
Kristine Beskin marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Michele McCoy
Michele McCoy rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Tom Batalias
Tom Batalias marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Anne Strupp
Anne Strupp marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
  • Ernie's War: The Best of Ernie Pyle's World War II Dispatches
  • You'll Be Sor-ree: A Guadalcanal Marine Remembers The Pacific War
  • The Hidden Hitler
  • The Bitter Road to Freedom: A New History of the Liberation of Europe
  • Brotherhood of Heroes: The Marines at Peleliu, 1944--The Bloodiest Battle of the Pacific War
  • One Square Mile of Hell: The Battle for Tarawa
  • A Dawn Like Thunder: The True Story of Torpedo Squadron Eight
  • The Ghost Mountain Boys: Their Epic March and the Terrifying Battle for New Guinea--The Forgotten War of the South Pacific
  • Shifty's War: The Authorized Biography of Sergeant Darrell "Shifty" Powers, the Legendary Sharpshooter from the Band of Brothers

“When you go home
Tell them of us, and say
For your tomorrow,