With Good Behavior (Conduct #1)

With Good Behavior (Conduct #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  454 ratings  ·  120 reviews
In a world gripped by organized crime, family dysfunction, and dim hopes of redemption, can true love persevere? For Sophie Taylor, a beautiful psychologist who lost everything when she violated an ethical boundary, and Grant Madsen, a handsome naval officer who sacrificed everything to protect a loved one, finding that love may carry an unbearable cost. Starting their liv...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Omnific Publishing

To ask other readers questions about With Good Behavior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Good Behavior

Alisha Marie
In the full interest of disclosure, I'm going to say this: I am so not a romance fan. The only way I even remotely get into romance is if it's Chick-Lit, Young-Adult, or fanfiction. But most of the time, I stay away from the actual entitled "romance" books. However, I used to lurk in fanfiction circles and that's how I learned about With Good Behavior and decided to try to win it on First Reads. Luckily for me, I did because it absolutely did not disappoint.

First things first: I loved Grant. Yes...more
Smash
Check out this review at Smash Attack Reads! http://smashattackreads.blogspot.com/...

My Thoughts

I was contacted by Omnific Publishing to review Jennifer Lane’s debut novel, With Good Behavior. Once I read that she’s a psychologist, I knew I had to read the book because she would likely apply her knowledge throughout. I am a budding social worker, and just took Psychopathology, so I definitely wanted to find out what she had to say.

With Good Behavior is not my typical read, but I enjoyed the brea...more
Bookfunatic (Tessa)
There are many “romance” books out there that give love a bad (superficial) name. Others are beautiful. This book is beautiful.

The main characters:
Grant and Sophie are intelligent, well-educated people with budding careers and good intentions. But they have failings like the rest of us, arising mainly from their upbringing and relationship with their families. This has landed them in BIG trouble and the book begins as they start to rebuild their lives after the shame/disgrace of incarceration....more
Karla
4.5 stars! With Good Behavior is an extremely well written engaging book. It has one of the sweetest heroes I’ve ever encountered, Grant Madsen. He’s honorable, charming, emotional, and so sexy. He meets the delightful Sophie while visiting his parole officer. She’s a complete stranger to him and yet he offers her comfort in his arms. He had me at that first hug. As the two of them get to know one another, they tell each other about the circumstances and betrayal that sent them to prison, and yo...more
Amy Russell
I love this story! Jennifer is an amazing author and I look forward to reading MANY more stories from her!
Nix
With Good Behavior is an exceptional novel, written by an author who has a refreshing writing style and way of storytelling.

The story is centred around two parolees, Grant Madsen and Sophie Taylor, whom fate literally pushes together. Initially, they embark on a budding romance. Unbeknownst to them, however, hangs a terrible truth that could jeopardise everything – including their very lives!

Each character in this novel is an authentic human being – a product of their history. The plot is brill...more
Nora Coast
This was an outstanding story. It caught my attention from the moment it started and wouldn't let it go. And from the instant the two main characters meet, their connection is electric.

There is something about two such honest, wonderful people finding themselves in a position they never imagined themselves being in, and discovering love and themselves in the aftermath that is so enticing. The connection is immediate, and I never wanted to see them apart.

The characterization is fantastic, right...more
Wesley
There's something unique about this book. I think it's the characters: they're rich / real (and I'm not just talking about the main couple!) I liked the multi-layered characters, the tension that builds as you learn more and more about how the main characters are connected (whilst they remain ignorant!), the odd bits of humor and the nailbiting action at the end. I'll definitely be reading the sequel - and any other book that this author releases.
Kasi Alexander
This is a very well-written story with lots of action, plot twists and interesting characters. The backdrop of Chicago is blended into the book very nicely, and the subplots work well together too. It's a compelling read, especially for the psychological insights.
Amanda
This review can also be found here - http://bookh00rder.blogspot.com/2011/...

I did a lot of swooning while reading With Good Behavior.

Grant Madsen and Sophie Taylor meet in an unconventional way, but as soon as they do, sparks fly. They are drawn to one another instantly. Grant and Sophie both found themselves in legal trouble due to someone elses conniving ways.

Grant is ex-military and is struggling with the downfall of his career and his family history.

Sophie, a promising psychologist loses...more
Yvonne
This was an emotionally intense book that was equal parts mafia suspense and romance. It had a nice amount of "steam" and the romance started off slowly and made sense. There were parts of the story that were very dark and I honestly had to stop a few times in order to get through those scenes.

Jennifer Lane is a terrific writer and I look forward to reading "Bad Behavior". :)
Gwynn Harrison
What a tangled web we weave....and what a great read to see the web as it tangles. Loved this book, spent 3 nights in a row staying up entirely too late to finish (but of course that is the greatest mark of a good book, in my opinion!)
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.com.

Expected Release Date: July 13, 2010
Publisher: Omnilit Publishing
Imprint: N/A
Author’s Website: http://jenniferlanebooks.com
My Source for This Book: Gift from the publisher
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 1, CONduct Series
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Steamy

Overall, despite its flaws, this book was highly entertaining. With romance, family drama, the struggle to reintegrate with society after spenigng time b...more
Megan (magan bagan)
When I first heard that this lovely lady was having her book published, I couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy of it. Then, when I learned that it would be a little romance, mixed with mystery and organized crime, I knew that I would absolutely love it... and I was right.

In her debut novel, Jennifer Lane takes on a journey with her main characters Sophie Taylor and Grant Madsen. They first meet outside of their parole officers office after being released from prison. Each has a story to tell...more
Jemma
I’m not all too familiar with the Romantic Suspense genre, but the synopsis of this book piqued my interest and I thought I’d give it a try. I discovered an engaging story about two central characters, Grant and Sophie, who are each struggling to carve out a future whilst running from their past …. or is it really in the past?!
Deep down, Grant and Sophie are the perfect fit – and it was agonizing knowing the disaster looming up quietly behind them! (no spoilers!!)

The book is rich in human psych...more
Lisa Sanchez

First off, can I just say how much I love the cover? Very eye-catching. When I first saw it, I immediately wanted to know why the military dude is in cuffs. Good stuff!

Sofie Taylor is a psychologist. She's smart, beautiful, has a huge heart and cares deeply about her work and her patients. In fact, she cares so deeply, she winds up falling for one: Logan Barberi, aka, Bad Mafia Dude. I won't post all the juicy tidbits here, but after an unfortunate series of events, Sofie ends up serving time in...more
Victoria
I really loved this story. From the moment Sophie and Grant met outside their parole officers door, I was hooked. I wanted to find out why they were both arrested and put in jail to what would happen between the two of them with so much fighting against them. They both have their own demons that they have to deal with, Grant more so than Sophie.

Grant comes from a mafia family. All his life he's been fighting to stay as far away from them as possible but they keep popping up and threatening those...more
April
This book was a breath of fresh air! I instantly felt for both Grant and Sophie, two soulful individuals, unjustly caught up in awful circumstances, trying to redeem themselves / get their lives back. I loved their romance as well as the shocking back story that inevitably blew up their present.

An unexpected plus were the thought-provoking insights into why Grant and Sophie got into that mess (prison/parole) and how they, as individuals and together, need to change their ways of thinking so tha...more
Emily Fisher
I’m still reeling from the action-packed plot as you approach the end of this book!!

What an incredible ensemble of multifaceted characters. An honest reminder of the huge role that family plays in our lives (whether we want them to or not!) Also, of the important role of people with whom we CHOOSE to share our lives: friends, mentors, romantic partners. It’s so true that “no man is an island”.

This book has some humour, some heartbreak, and a lot of love. The star-crossed lovers in particular g...more
Josh A.
A brilliant breakout novel by an author I'll definitely be keeping my eye on. The two main characters embark on a romance and I was relieved to find that there wasn't a corny/sappy moment in sight! The intricate characters drew me in and I felt strongly about all of them, which for me is a sign of an excellent novel. The storyline is unique (rare!) and it kept my interest piqued the whole way through. Poignant, joyful, raw, funny, darn exciting/nervewracking - this novel had it all! One for the...more
Jamie
A novel about two parolees who fall in love? Genius! Want to add a mafia family and an architectural tour cruise? Super Genius! I found this book by accident. I saw the cover when I was looking up another book and immediately clicked on it (I don't even remember WHAT the other book was). I was laughing out loud while reading through the adventures of Grant and Sophie. The writing was superb, the characters were multi-dimensional, the story was amazing. I can not, CAN NOT recommend this book more...more
Janine
Our pasts form part of who we are ~ Can we break free; choose to be different?

With Good Behavior is a genuine love story with authentic people in frighteningly realistic situations. I fell in love with both Grant and Sophie as they navigated their fledgling relationship: the giggles, the spats, the all-too-familiar fears. Meantime, quietly in the background, the danger draws near…..

For those of you who love stories about REAL people with an edge of excitement, this book is for you!
Debra Anastasia
Sophie and Grant make for a surprising, wonderful romance novel. Your summer reading list should include this two book series. It is fantastic! Jennifer Lane gives you a gripping, suspenseful love story in the unlikeliest of circumstances. Treat yourself to Jennifer's whole collection.
Hannah
With Good Behavior is a romance-lover's dream! Two incredible characters; potentially overwhelming obstacles that are initially concealed. I was enchanted by their whole world, including the lovable or terrifying characters either uplifting or trying to destroy them.
Rachel
I really liked this book. Grant just captured my heart from the beginning, he's an amazing character. Sophie was great, for once, the main female didn't drive me completely crazy. So many twists and turns and just great characters. I can't wait to read Bad Behavior!
Lorne
A great story set perfectly in my favourite city.
Wendy *Sebella Blue* Mitchell
Former U.S. Navy Lieutenant, Grant Masden was just released from prison on a three year sentence for a robbery he had been forced to commit by his Mafia family. Former psychologist, Sophie Taylor was just released after serving time for a crime her client/lover had committed and then left her unknowingly holding the bag. Both ex-cons were victims of poor judgment and the harsh reality of a dysfunctional family. It seems only right they should meet outside of their parole officer’s door and feel...more
Ren
This copy is provided by the author
Review will be also posted at S,E,R's Awesomness

4,5 stars!

When I re-read this book again (to write a good review *blush*), I remember some lines from "Dark Shadows" movie that I'd watch weeks ago. The lines said by Barnabas Collins, and if remember well, this is what he said :

"Blood is what made us. Bind us. Curse us"

In "With Good Behavior", its his family that made, bind and curse Grant Madsen's life. Okay, With Good Behavior, or WGB is not paranormal romance...more
K9
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I usually stick to the “top 50 best sellers” in the bookstore, but a friend recommended this lesser known author. After reading this, I may be tempted to try out more indie books.

With Good Behavior is a quick read because of the author’s smooth writing style and tidbits in each chapter that make you want to read ‘just one more chapter’ before going to bed… and then another one…!
What I liked about the book:
 the very natural / realistic development of the...more
Dianne
Talk about having everything, and I mean EVERYTHING stacked against you! Sophie Taylor and Grant Madison were both imprisoned and lost everything that held meaning in their lives, their careers, their self-esteem, their freedom. It had to be fate that brought them together outside the door of the office of their parole officer. Maybe life held something better for them? Maybe they could redeem themselves and find strength in each other? Would fate toss a few more bombshells at them, just for kic...more
Crime Detective M...: Win a FREE copy of With Good Behavior 1 8 Sep 17, 2013 08:27AM
Romantic Suspense: Win a FREE copy of With Good Behavior 1 11 Sep 17, 2013 08:11AM
  • Indivisible
  • Gilded Cage
  • Passion Fish
  • The Way That You Play It
  • Stitches and Scars
  • Healing Faith (In Your World, #1)
  • Old Wounds (Old Wounds, #1)
  • Grave Refrain: A Love/Ghost Story
  • The Darkness of Perfection
  • Cocktails and Dreams (Cocktails and Dreams, #1)
  • Magic at Macy's
  • The Billionaire Bum
Get psyched for romance with psychologist/author (psycho author) Jennifer Lane! By day she witnesses tremendous growth in her psychotherapy clients, and by night she wrangles misbehaving fictional characters as she writes sports romance and romantic suspense with a psychological twist. She can’t decide which is more fun.

A swimmer and volleyball player in college, Jen wove some of her own experien...more
More about Jennifer Lane...
Streamline Bad Behavior (Conduct #2) Swim Recruit On Best Behavior (Conduct #3) Blocked

“He pulled her toward him and gathered her in his arms as his hand lovingly cradled the back of her neck. She stopped breathing as he leaned down—ohmigod, the Adonis was about to kiss her—and planted the softest, most sensual kiss on her lips.

Time stood still on the busy Chicago street.”
3 likes
“Um, h-h-hi,” Sophie stammered, closing the door behind her. Meeting her gaze were crystal eyes like blue shards of glass.” 1 likes