Rapid Development: Taming Wild Software Schedules

Rapid Development: Taming Wild Software Schedules

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  495 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Corporate and commercial software-development teams all want solutions for one important problem-how to get their high-pressure development schedules under control. In RAPID DEVELOPMENT, author Steve McConnell addresses that concern head-on with overall strategies, specific best practices, and valuable tips that help shrink and control development schedules and keep projec...more
Published March 23rd 2010 by Microsoft Press (first published January 1st 1996)

Jim Butler
How can I add any value to the multitude of reviews that obviously say "You must buy this"?
When I was working 80 hours a week - this was the only book I read cover-to-cover.

When I lent my book to one of my staff and he left the firm, I bought another copy off the shelf within 24 hours (I couldn't wait for Amazon's delivery time). This was after having read the book twice.

This is the only book I have bought 3 copies: one for work, one for home, and one to share. It's the only book which caused me...more
Toby Reiter
Aug 27, 2007 Toby Reiter added it  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone in any stage of IT project management
This book is as much about psychology as it is about specific IT techniques for rapidly developing applications. Many of the books lessons focus on managing expectations, avoiding common political and personal pitfalls during the development process, and anticipating and controlling change.

For developers, this pairs very well with Code Complete.
Dax
I thought this was a lot better than (the more famous) Code Complete by the same author, and perhaps the best software engineering best-practices book there is.
Jim McGaw
The title of this book is one of the most egregious misnomers in the long history of books on software. It should have been called "The Best Software Project Management Guide In the Entire Universe."

It is clearly written, the points made are excellent and ring true from experience, and, moreover, each point is painstakingly backed up by industry data. If you're a software developer, tech lead, or software project manager, and you're wondering how to improve things where you work, you can not do...more
Matt
I think this book is really showing it's age. McConnell's advice feels genuine, but the data is based on experiences from the early 90s. A lot has happened in the software world between then and now so there are many things that don't fit with some of the best practices that modern development embraces. Unless you're staying on top of how companies do development today, it's hard to filter out what is outdated advice versus what is still relevant. Therefore, in spite of the book having some good...more
Craig Cecil
This book should be read, re-read, memorized, and used by anyone involved in the planning, management, development, or deployment of software. It's that good. Steve McConnell presents a succinct, well organized collection of the lessons learned and best practices in software engineering over the last three decades.
Marc D.
One of the classics collections that everybody that manages software development teams should have read and re-read. Some concepts are a little outdated but overall it is amazing how little has changed in the software development field. Most of the best practices still hold true after many years.
Nathan
Great book on Project Management. This book was required as in college and I was fortunate this book was assigned as a read. Great concepts on managing expectations, dealing with business politics, and delivering projects.

Worth the read.
Hasyimi Bahrudin
Just got the book today. I'm pretty impressed with the book quality. Just a few flipped pages (for bookmarking) here and there. No stains (so far). No missing pages (so far). Pretty good deal for an awesome book!
Emily
Oct 01, 2007 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Project Managers
I probably wouldn't have read this book if I hadn't been assigned to read it. It is written for software developers, but I believe that any project manager could learn a lot. This book has really opened my eyes.
Justin
Top notch advice from a giant in the field. Any developer or manager who wishes to elevates their skills to true engineering needs to read this book, cover to cover.
Ben Haley
Feb 10, 2010 Ben Haley marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Another from the Art of Project Management which will be useful for the type of development we do at PERTS.
Lori Grant
A should-read book on product development for knowledge workers and entrepreneurs.
Doug
Seemed a bit obvious to me, but others have told me they really liked.
Lauri
Taming Wild Software Schedules is no joke....
Milton Soong
A must read for any software manager
Thanh
I's very good, thanks a lot!
Jesse
solid book so far.
Josh Glover
Josh Glover marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Danni Liljekrans
Danni Liljekrans marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Bruce
Bruce added it
Apr 09, 2014
  • Software Requirements: Practical Techniques for Gathering and Managing Requirements Throughout the Product Development Cycle
  • Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering (Agile Software Development)
  • Programming Pearls
  • Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
  • Peopleware: Productive Projects and Teams
  • The Best Software Writing I
  • Agile Software Development, Principles, Patterns, and Practices
  • Writing Secure Code
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)
  • 97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Domain-driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • The Productive Programmer
  • Beautiful Code: Leading Programmers Explain How They Think
  • The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering
  • The Practice of Programming
  • Applying UML and Patterns: An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis and Design and Iterative Development

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Code Complete Software Estimation: Demystifying the Black Art Software Project Survival Guide After the Gold Rush: Creating a True Profession of Software Engineering Professional Software Development: Shorter Schedules, Higher Quality Products, More Successful Projects, Enhanced Careers