Start by marking “The Joy of Y'at Catholicism” as Want to Read:
The Joy of Y'at Catholicism

The Joy of Y'at Catholicism

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  9 reviews
New Orleans culture is a fusion of secular and holy. From the earliest days of the community founded on the banks of the Mississippi River, the Catholic faith has been an influence on, and inspiration for, daily life. To be sure, religious rites such as weddings, funerals, and feast day festivals transpire elsewhere in the country. In New Orleans, however, they are celebra ...more
Published June 1st 2007 by Pelican Publishing Company (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Joy of Y'at Catholicism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joy of Y'at Catholicism

My dad wrote a book. I knew most of this stuff from living with him anyway. It's pretty good.
Eileen Gaston
Full disclosure: Earl Higgins is my brother. That said, it is a really good book for folks who have ever lived in New Orleans. It is an excellent mixture of serious research (historical and cultural), Catholic theology, and humor. New Orleans is a wonderful and ideosyncratic city, well-portrayed here.
Considering the fact that my father and his family were born and raised in New Orleans, this was a fun book to read. I loved reading the references to the local dialect like "Jeesus Gawd" and the "neutral ground." It reminded me of my grandfather, and it made me smile. However, for people without a connection to NOLA, the book in its entirity might not be as enjoyable. It will however, give you some insight into how/why New Orleanians tick. I especially liked the way the book described how the C ...more
I think this book may only be truly interesting to natural born Y'ats. It's hard to understand many of their idiosyncrasies unless you were born and raised in a contradictory culture like New Orleans.
Not for everyone. If you aren't familiar with the area this book will mean nothing to you. Explains alot of quirks surrounding the traditions of those in New Orleans.
Kim Limmex
Laugh out loud funny, especially if you grew up making a few laps around the beads every now and then.
Melanie Miranda
A humorous look at the culture of New Orleans Catholicism and belonging.
Jun 04, 2007 Jackie marked it as to-read
Christian's dad wrote this so I want to read it!
Mary K
Hilarious for New Orleanians.
Reader marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Shelby marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Fred marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Nicholas Laccetti
Nicholas Laccetti marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Jimmy is currently reading it
Aug 11, 2014
Barry marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Kenna marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Mallory is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2013
Donna Richert
Donna Richert is currently reading it
Jan 09, 2013
Connie Falati
Connie Falati marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2012
Elisabeth Cordova
Elisabeth Cordova marked it as to-read
May 10, 2012