Start by marking “The Joy of Y'at Catholicism” as Want to Read:
The Joy of Y'at Catholicism

The Joy of Y'at Catholicism

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  33 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
New Orleans culture is a fusion of secular and holy. From the earliest days of the community founded on the banks of the Mississippi River, the Catholic faith has been an influence on, and inspiration for, daily life. To be sure, religious rites such as weddings, funerals, and feast day festivals transpire elsewhere in the country. In New Orleans, however, they are celebra ...more
Published June 1st 2007 by Pelican Publishing Company (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Joy of Y'at Catholicism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joy of Y'at Catholicism

Christian
Jun 04, 2007 Christian rated it it was amazing
My dad wrote a book. I knew most of this stuff from living with him anyway. It's pretty good.
Eileen Gaston
Aug 28, 2015 Eileen Gaston rated it really liked it
Full disclosure: Earl Higgins is my brother. That said, it is a really good book for folks who have ever lived in New Orleans. It is an excellent mixture of serious research (historical and cultural), Catholic theology, and humor. New Orleans is a wonderful and ideosyncratic city, well-portrayed here.
Stacygibbs
Sep 05, 2011 Stacygibbs rated it liked it
Considering the fact that my father and his family were born and raised in New Orleans, this was a fun book to read. I loved reading the references to the local dialect like "Jeesus Gawd" and the "neutral ground." It reminded me of my grandfather, and it made me smile. However, for people without a connection to NOLA, the book in its entirity might not be as enjoyable. It will however, give you some insight into how/why New Orleanians tick. I especially liked the way the book described how the C ...more
Jimmy
Dec 29, 2015 Jimmy rated it liked it
Mostly anecdotal and lots of tidbits of knowledge about NOLA Catholic customs and traditions. I have my students at Tulane in a "Catholic NOLA" TIDES course (for incoming Freshmen only) read this text. Would love to get the author, a fellow Blue Jay as I understand it, to visit my class next Fall 2016. I imagine the book would be much more engaging with the author filling in on the backstory of how it came to be.
LeLe
Jan 24, 2008 LeLe rated it it was ok
I think this book may only be truly interesting to natural born Y'ats. It's hard to understand many of their idiosyncrasies unless you were born and raised in a contradictory culture like New Orleans.
Carrie
May 03, 2008 Carrie rated it liked it
Not for everyone. If you aren't familiar with the area this book will mean nothing to you. Explains alot of quirks surrounding the traditions of those in New Orleans.
Kim Limmex
Aug 21, 2009 Kim Limmex rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud funny, especially if you grew up making a few laps around the beads every now and then.
Melanie Miranda
Jul 09, 2012 Melanie Miranda rated it it was amazing
A humorous look at the culture of New Orleans Catholicism and belonging.
Jackie
Jun 04, 2007 Jackie marked it as to-read
Christian's dad wrote this so I want to read it!
Mary K
Jan 31, 2008 Mary K rated it really liked it
Hilarious for New Orleanians.
Zack
Zack rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Beth Applewhite
Beth Applewhite is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2016
Sonnet
Sonnet marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Danelle
Danelle rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2015
Dave Guilford
Dave Guilford rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2015
Virginia R. Collins
Virginia R. Collins rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Reader
Reader marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Amphitrite66
Amphitrite66 rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Julie Fox
Julie Fox rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2014
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Fred
Fred marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Nicholas Laccetti
Nicholas Laccetti marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Rachael
Rachael rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2013
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Kenna
Kenna marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Mallory
Mallory is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2013
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2014
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2013
Melanie Thigpen
Melanie Thigpen rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2013
Donna Richert
Donna Richert is currently reading it
Jan 09, 2013