Start by marking “The Honour of the Knights (The Battle for the Solar System)” as Want to Read:
The Honour of the Knights (The Battle for the Solar System)

Read Book* *Different edition

The Honour of the Knights (The Battle for the Solar System #1)

3.57  ·  Rating Details ·  1,147 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
When starfighter pilot Simon Dodds is enrolled in a top secret military project, he and his wingmates begin to suspect that there is a lot more to the theft of a legendary battleship and an Imperial nation's civil war than either the Confederation Stellar Navy or the government are willing to let on.

Within weeks of being reassigned to the Confederate border system of Tempe
Kindle Edition, First Edition, 351 pages
Published (first published January 24th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Honour of the Knights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Honour of the Knights

Michael Trimmer
I really really wanted to like this book. It's self-published, in itself, a brave move. The author was employed at Lehman Brothers before its collapse in 2008 and this is an alternative direction for him as a career. I applaud his courage and fortitude at going it alone in this manner, but I can't help but feel that what we're left with is significantly sub-standard and that if this is his best effort, he needs desperately to get back into banking. Once again, it feels like the old stereotypical ...more
Norm Birndorf
Jul 19, 2011 Norm Birndorf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simon Dodds is on leave from his duty as a Confederation Stellar Navy fighter pilot working for his father running an apple orchard. It's not all good. He is on forced leave after a court martial for trying to be a hero and disobeying orders. His reckless actions resulted in the death of 2 civilians.

A dying Stellar Navy Pilot inexplicably winds up on his doorstep with gunshot wounds, and begs not to tell the navy or authorities about him just before he dies. Very mysterious.

In the middle of the
Jud (Disney Diva)
I am not a sci-fi fan but I read this book as it was picked as one of our monthly group reads. I struggled with this book the whole way through but I think this was simply because of its genre. This is a difficult review to write as there was nothing wrong at all with what the author has done here but I simply couldn't get properly involved in the story as I wasn't interested before I started, which is maybe a bad mind set to start off a book with.

The story was very good although there were a f
Simon
Nov 06, 2011 Simon rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-read
I am all for self published novels and am willing to download the sample before I decide to purchase, so I have little time for those that bitch in their reviews about grammatical errors and typos. I am no English Teacher and only read books to relax so I am willing to give authors a good bit of slack on this issue as long as the book has a good story.

This book has a great story that had me hooked from the start. Its not perfect and in some places a bit predicable yet once it gets pass introduc
Eric
Aug 24, 2011 Eric rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure I have ever before read a book with such a good premise, whose prose is so lifeless. The plot appears good, as do the characters, at least at first glance. Unfortunately the writing of those characters leaves me completely cold, they are just not interesting. The most damning thing is that the author cannot write action at all. An epic space battle is made as bland as possible. Avoid.
Shane
May 10, 2011 Shane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book picked up a lot towards the end. I hope to find the next one in the series at some stage.
Bryan
Oct 07, 2012 Bryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
nice idea but somehow missing any body... in the sense of a young thin wine
Brian
Jan 22, 2012 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An interesting premise confounded by uninspired writing.
Penelope Fletcher
Mar 12, 2011 Penelope Fletcher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not a literary expert, but I read enough to know a good book when I find one. This is a good book. I liked it, and will recommend to readers of my type who want to try a Sci-Fi book.

At times observation of the characters fluxed between intrusive and apathetic. But, I found it relatively effortless to put myself into the shoes of a male fighter pilot from my reading seat at home as I sipped my hot chocolate and listened to Bat for Lashes warbling in the background. It was more like I was a by
Cody Grady
May 24, 2012 Cody Grady rated it it was ok
I want to first preface this review by stating that I read the first edition of this ebook because it was available for free on my Kindle... the author does suggest that anyone interested in reading the entire trilogy should read the revised edition.
That being said, I would not recommend this book. Its premise is intriguing... intergalactic war, fighter pilots, and action scenes dominate the narrative, (think Battlestar Galactica crossed with Top Gun) but lackluster writing skills and the inab
Kevin
Jun 13, 2011 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent science fiction novel of the space opera variety, Stephen J. Sweeney's The Honour of the Knights combines an intriguing plot that avoids many of the genre's cliches while retaining a convincing sense of authenticity with strong characterization and dialogue. Unlike many novels of this type, Mr. Sweeney's protagonist is far from perfect, with flaws grounded in reality that ring true without coming across as mere contrivances to create conflict for the sake to plot. My only criticisms ...more
Ellis
Jun 18, 2012 Ellis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got the free version for Kindle and I was quite pleasantly suprised by this one. I hear that the 2nd edition (that you pay for) is better so it's probably worth buying if you can.

The Honour of the Knights is more of an action sci-fi than an in depth space opera. Lots of big space battles and gung ho fights that don't tax the brain too much. That might sound damning but it's part of the books charm. Sometimes it's all you need.

The writing is done fine, sometimes it feels as the characters are
Greg
This was a pretty good read... A "hero" book, but instead of a single hero, it's a team.

I also really like how well the suspense was handled, how the plot elements were slowly revealed. You KNEW there was something going on, but not exactly what.

Putting my science fiction geek hat on, what I didn't like how the space travel was handled. Whereas David Weber gets detailed in mechanics of space travel, delta-v, etc, this book really skimped on that and made it hard for me to accept. It "felt" lik
Fred
Okay, the mystery that Sweeney weaves into this story is killing me! I can't believe that you don't find out before the end of the first book! I won't say more about what the mystery is so that I don't give it away. Of course I'm going to have to find the second book now as soon as I clear out my reading pile a little bit. Good book, worth reading for the science fiction fan. A little bit cheesy at times, butI've read mush cheesier and still liked it. I think that since the writer is still young ...more
Paul Vincent
Dec 19, 2011 Paul Vincent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit it took me a few chapters before I really warmed to this one. I almost gave up after a few pages, but am glad that I persevered. As the plot developed and the pace and scale increased substantially towards the end of the book, I was hooked and ended up reading the last 1/3 of the book in a single sitting. Some of the technology mentioned/used in the book was somewhat more glossed-over than I would like, but that is not an unusual feature of scifi writing.

The books ends on a high-
Jack Hessey
Aug 26, 2011 Jack Hessey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really fun book!

Loved the storyline and world building and the numerus action scenes were wll written and quickly drawn me in. Only real complaint is that some of the characters are a bit forgettable and could do with padding out a bit. Still, it is a great book, the world building alone makes it worth checking out.

Just added the sequel to my "to read list" too and I'm looking forward to reading it!
Chris
Dec 02, 2012 Chris rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-books
This book was not very good. The writing style was awkward, the plot was obvious and full of tropes, the hardware star of the story was invincible...it was just a mess. Rather than go into all of them in detail, I'll just say that as a fan of science fiction, I cannot recommend this book to anyone. As a fan of military science fiction, for which ones must often make sacrifices of style for substance, I also cannot recommend this book.

In short...stay away!
Darnell
Decent space-fighting romp with pretty good main characters. The book could use some editing and I hope secondary characters get fleshed out better in the sequels because it's the secondary characters that truly enhance the tapestry of a wholly-imagined world. The action was exciting and filled with intrigue, and I found myself ready to follow the Knights on their next adventure. Good work, and I look forward to the sequels.
Martin Cooper
Jul 02, 2011 Martin Cooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of a space fighter pilot and his crew caught in the centre of a war between 2 rival empires. They are trained to fly the next generation of fighter craft but not told how or why these craft have been developed. They are then caught up in a mission to retrieve stolen data and save the home fleet from disaster. Well written and executed, read this in a couple of days and will be looking out for the next book in the series due out in November 2011.
Sara Parkes
Jul 27, 2011 Sara Parkes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book.

Stephen Sweeney is a really good writer. The world building is amazing and I quickly found myself immersed in the world that Honour of the Knights is set in. There are also some pretty unique ideas in the book and plenty of twists and turns to keep the readers interest. The space battle scenes are especially fun to read.
Tim
Sep 14, 2011 Tim rated it it was amazing
Was a fun, quick book to read, and it was free from amazon (still is)! Bought the 2nd edition of this which adds more to the story (20,000 words more) and am currently reading through it, enjoying the updated writing style. Looking forward to reading the next two books in the trilogy.
Larry B Gray
Nov 25, 2011 Larry B Gray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for all those who like to read space adventure. The battles between the star fighters were well written and exciting. The action was great. I really like the charactors and their stories flow smoothly. I highly recommend this book.
Vincent Hobbes
Sep 20, 2011 Vincent Hobbes rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. A fast read, a sci-fi action novel. I flew through it and was impressed with the author's work.

-Vincent Hobbes
Dallas Vinson
Nov 04, 2011 Dallas Vinson rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Excellent book, can't wait to get my hands on the next in the series.
Rod
Jan 08, 2012 Rod rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A reasonable SF read, but very cliched. Somehow the period set out in the book did not feel genuine. Some advances in technology were in place but other aspects did not ring true.
Mars
Jan 15, 2012 Mars rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty decent sci-fi. Occasional plot holes distract from the main story at times, and hard to say if it's worth retail price, but definitely worth it from a used-book shop.
Jon
May 13, 2012 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Had its good points. A few. Not terrible enough to stop, but parts were a slog.
Jim
Aug 06, 2011 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good effort. Story is compelling and eaay to read. Just enough questions about what has gone on and the backgrounds of the individual characters, like Chaz to make you want more.
Jolie
Jul 27, 2012 Jolie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good sci-fi book.
Craig Marsden
Apr 25, 2011 Craig Marsden rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Not bad for a cheap kindle book. Kudos on entering the fickle world of self publishing.
First Edition available for free 1 8 Mar 17, 2011 08:01AM
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0: Origins (First Light Chronicles, #1-3; Spinward Fringe, #0)
  • The Phoenix Conspiracy (The Phoenix Conspiracy, #1)
  • First Contact (In Her Name: The Last War, #1)
  • The Last Praetorian (The Redemption Trilogy, #1)
  • Seth and Chloe (Lunara Trilogy, #1)
  • Earthfall (Dinosaur Wars, #1)
  • The Enemy of an Enemy (Lost Tales of Power: Volume One)
  • Turing Evolved
  • Voidhawk
  • Right Ascension
  • Starship: Rebel (Starship, #4)
  • Xenolith
  • The Making of Legend (Cerebral Network, #1)
  • Haven (The Fall of Haven #1)
Stephen Sweeney was born in Brighton, UK in 1977 to Terry and Emma Sweeney and has spent many years thereafter making up stories about stuff that doesn't exist.

He attended Worth School in West Sussex before studying Environmental Biology at Oxford Brookes University.

He currently lives in London where he works in the City performing various IT related bits and pieces (although he's worse than usele
More about Stephen J. Sweeney...

The Battle for the Solar System (3 books)
  • The Third Side (Battle for the Solar System, #2)
  • The Attribute of the Strong (Battle for the Solar System #3)

“Chalmers” 0 likes