Start by marking “The Fifteen Biggest Lies about the Economy: And Everything Else the Right Doesn't Want You to Know about Taxes, Jobs, and Corporate America” as Want to Read:

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  7 reviews
AlterNet editor Joshua Holland demolishes the Right's biggest and most outrageous myths about the economy Taxes kill growth. Labor unions hurt their members. Government regulation destroys jobs. These are just a few of the biggest lies in the web of misinformation spun by conservatives and the Chamber of Commerce. Holland's book dissects each malicious fiction to show how ...more
Published September 23rd 2010 by John Wiley & Sons (first published August 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Fifteen Biggest Lies about the Economy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fifteen Biggest Lies about the Economy

Mario García
This book is about corner cases from its very inception: Even the title is well deserved, but might be confused with the kind of empty reads that ideologically driven people use to get their daily delusional fix from. This is a remarkable study.

Propaganda (PR "industry") has lead the US (and most of the world) towards a blind path where people are with or against so called Statism while Big Money monopolies and mischievous politicians get away with murder.

Joshua Holland shamelessly leans toward
Steve
The Megadeth title came to mind as I thought about this book and the reviews I'd read. This book is targeted towards the right but most likely to be read by the left. It gave me tons of material to take on conservative friends and family members, but in the end, they simply doubt the book's credibility and facts (as only a conservative can), and brush off the material in typical stubborn fashion. Trust me, I've already tried.
Books like this, well written, exhaustively researched, and chock full
Sean
I read through 42% and i was on my 17th note in the book. I couldn't continued reading it. Its poorly researched and lacks any thoughtful analysis. This is like reading a book by Rush or Glenn Beck. This is truly a political book, not economics. I'm surprised this was even published. Its clearly written to shock you so the facts are cherry picked, realities and counter-arguments are glossed over, and the language is clearly meant to diminish "the right" or the libertarian thinkers. End result: D ...more
Book
The Fifteen Biggest Lies about the Economy by Joshua Holland

"The Fifteen Biggest Lies about the Economy" is a very good book that debunks the most outrageous right-wing claims about the economy. This 304-page book is composed of the following fifteen chapters: 1. Conservatives Don't Want Good Government, 2. It's Not Your Fault There Aren't Enough Good Jobs, 3. There Is No Free Market, 4. How Could Anyone Believe The Big Banks Are Victims, 5. Tax Cuts Aren't A Solution To Every Problem, 6. Repub
Ted Magnuson
Everyone knows that the Media is more interested in shock value than in building a wholesome society where merit is rewarded, the playing field is level and we live in 'the best of all possible worlds.'
Then along comes this book. Wow. The author's arguments are powerful. My chief complaint against the book is "if things are this bad, if the deck is so stacked in favor of intransigence...That them that gots gets while those who don't won't--
What are we to do about it?

Some of the more alarming sta
Adam Ross
A great book documenting how mistaken supply-side economics are in both their predictions and their outcomes.
Benj FitzPatrick
Most of the points are well thought out and based an substantial amounts of data, with citations. Though, he occasionally throws one liners at the end of a section that completely undermine his arguments (read: don't blame the GOP for using horrifically old data to back up their claims and then add a short quip from the 1800s in support of your idea).
The Wolf
The Wolf marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Douglas Eu
Douglas Eu marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy added it
Jun 02, 2015
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Jaki King
Jaki King marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Marsha
Marsha marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Cam
Cam marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Janet Zehr
Janet Zehr marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Joshua Holland is Senior Digital Producer at BillMoyers.com, and host of Politics and Reality Radio. He's the author of The 15 Biggest Lies About the Economy.
More about Joshua Holland...
The Illegal Job Scam: The Real Truth Behind the Immigration Wars The 99%: How the Occupy Wall Street Movement Is Changing America